Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wouldn't the Hogs be better served if...

Started by SirCHog, July 05, 2005, 03:54:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SirCHog

...Malzahn remained a local high school coach, generating four/five star recruits each year?   Do you think families move to Springdale so there son can have a better chance at going to a top name school to play football?   Doesn't this weigh out better for Arkansas than Nutt hiring him as an offensive coordinator?  Thoughts?

junkyardhog

In theory yes. The main reason everyone seems to want Malzahn is because they are in effect buying the players with his hire.  No money under the bridge or anything, but 6 of one half dozen of the other. ;D

PIGG

I don't know how much Malzahn had to do with Mustain being a damn good quarterback...  He's not turning wool into gold.. or.. however that analogy goes.  I think if hiring Malzahn gets us the 5, that would be better than hoping more great recruits pop up in Springdale.
Let's drink till we can't feel feelings anymore!
- Peter Griffin

Jim Harris

Quote from: SirCHog on July 05, 2005, 03:54:40 pm
...Malzahn remained a local high school coach, generating four/five star recruits each year? Do you think families move to Springdale so there son can have a better chance at going to a top name school to play football? Doesn't this weigh out better for Arkansas than Nutt hiring him as an offensive coordinator? Thoughts?

That Springdale has five D-1 prospects in one season is a fluke, and it will be interesting over the next four years to see if the five really pan out as being as great as the gurus claim.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: drakehog on July 05, 2005, 03:59:29 pm
...Malzahn remained a local high school coach, generating four/five star recruits each year? Do you think families move to Springdale so there son can have a better chance at going to a top name school to play football? Doesn't this weigh out better for Arkansas than Nutt hiring him as an offensive coordinator? Thoughts?

That Springdale has five D-1 prospects in one season is a fluke, and it will be interesting over the next four years to see if the five really pan out as being as great as the gurus claim.

Fluke is putting it mildly.  Any Arkansas team having five D-IA prospects in one season is wildly improbable.
[CENSORED]!

mikeirwin

No.
My thoughts are Nutt needs somebody who can coach QBs and structure an offense. At Shiloh we saw Malzahn take average talent and put up unbelievable numbers. Watching the way he's developed Mustian (who has REAL talent) over the past year has been a real eye opener. You put a coach on that staff that develops a real offense and the OUT OF STATE RECRUITS will come.

Flatfoot

Malzahn gives me idea of a possible Norm Chow type of coach that just knows how to work with the available talent.  I would hope that with him on the hill that the out of state recruits would come here and play as you suggest Mike.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

socalhogcaller

Quote from: PIGG on July 05, 2005, 03:59:17 pm
I don't know how much Malzahn had to do with Mustain being a damn good quarterback... He's not turning wool into gold.. or.. however that analogy goes. I think if hiring Malzahn gets us the 5, that would be better than hoping more great recruits pop up in Springdale.

My thoughts exactly.  I think moms and dads have more to do with creating 5 star recruits than HS coaches do.

Boarcephus

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 05, 2005, 04:11:05 pm

No.
My thoughts are Nutt needs somebody who can coach QBs and structure an offense. At Shiloh we saw Malzahn take average talent and put up unbelievable numbers. Watching the way he's developed Mustian (who has REAL talent) over the past year has been a real eye opener. You put a coach on that staff that develops a real offense and the OUT OF STATE RECRUITS will come.

I thought that's what Wittke was hired to do.   Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he put up some pretty gaudy numbers where he came from and that was at the collegiate level where Malzahns have been against highschool competition?   No way is this intended as a slam against Malzahn because I really like hiim but until Nutt lets go of the offense, hiring Malzahn will have little effect on the offense.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

litmachog

That would depend if any come to Arkansas.  Don't want another Warren situation, especially in our back yard.

AFWarrior83

Is Gus from Springdale a diamond in the ruff? Maybe they should find him a job on offence, but it will take him time to adjust
Hogville member since 2005.

junkyardhog

I love it how the people from NWA think their local billy bob high school coach should be the next coach of the cowboy's.  After all, he did lead springdale to Arkie's state playoffs right?  And isn't that the mecca of high school football? ROFLMFAO

CorningHog

I agree with Irwin again....  It is certainly a job that Malzahn would be perfect for.  Yes, Houston would need to let him have most of the control and only answer to HDN.  I think that one problem that Houston has is he listens to much to all the offensive coaches.  It would be okay to listen thru the week and gameplan together prior to the final scripting of the game plan itself.  This is where only HDN or the primary play caller needs to finalize.  Then, during game day whoever is in charge of calling the plays based on the weeks practice and the film review and all that jazz, don't take plays from the sidelines from every coach.  Stick to a plan based on what should work and what actually works.

I hate to see us in some games act like we did not know that we were tipping our hand on certain calls or certain plays fail.  Yes, execution still matters but when the pass to the sidelines or draw play is used on 3rd and 11 it kind of smells like we are raising the white flag a little too early.

Of course, the lack of a true running game and being without a good arm can cause you to be a little one dimensional.

Hope that Malzahn is added this year and that is regardless of what happens with Mustain and the others.

Although, as I have said long ago...... Mustain is a Razorback....jack!

GO HOGS!!!!!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: CorningHog on July 05, 2005, 09:12:00 pm
I agree with Irwin again.... It is certainly a job that Malzahn would be perfect for. Yes, Houston would need to let him have most of the control and only answer to HDN. I think that one problem that Houston has is he listens to much to all the offensive coaches. It would be okay to listen thru the week and gameplan together prior to the final scripting of the game plan itself. This is where only HDN or the primary play caller needs to finalize. Then, during game day whoever is in charge of calling the plays based on the weeks practice and the film review and all that jazz, don't take plays from the sidelines from every coach. Stick to a plan based on what should work and what actually works.

I hate to see us in some games act like we did not know that we were tipping our hand on certain calls or certain plays fail. Yes, execution still matters but when the pass to the sidelines or draw play is used on 3rd and 11 it kind of smells like we are raising the white flag a little too early.

Of course, the lack of a true running game and being without a good arm can cause you to be a little one dimensional.

Excellent take.
[CENSORED]!