Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's Been a Great Week for John White

Started by WilsonHog, July 01, 2005, 06:54:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

First the announcement that the Campaign for the Twenty-first Century had met its goals, and now this. 

Per the AP and Arkansas Business, Wallace and Jamma Fowler of Jonesboro have committed to give $1.75 million to UA for the purpose of constructing a new university chancellor's residence. It's gonna be called the Fowler House, and per B. Alan Sugg will be a "signature facility."  "A new chancellor's residence is very important to the university and will create a most prestigious gathering place for university constituents and serve as a statement of quality about the type of university we have become," Sugg said. 

Outstanding. Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Fowler!

Lanny

Why does the university chancellor's residence need a 1.7 million home?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Boarcephus

"Why does the university chancellor's residence need a 1.7 million home?"

Those were my first thoughts as well, espeically when they just jacked up the tuition to ungodly levels for instate kids.  I my be the only one here who feels this way, but I despise that arrogant sob.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Lanny

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 01, 2005, 07:05:49 am
" I my be the only one here who feels this way, but I despise that arrogant sob.

You're not the only one.

Al Bundy

Boarcephus

White is oblivious to the common man.   It's tough for alot of folks to hoist their legs and give birth to $2500/semester tuition eggs  and he could care less.  He's a first class prick.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Flatfoot

I think 1.7 million could be better spent on upgrading some of the classrooms.  What the hell does the university need with a home worth that kind of money.  I call Bullshiite on this one. 
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

V B Porkers

WilsonHog

There was one that I know of that Dan Ferritor had built, but White didn't like that one. Guess it wasn't a "signature facility."

Pigheaded

Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 01, 2005, 07:49:00 am
I think 1.7 million could be better spent on upgrading some of the classrooms.  What the hell does the university need with a home worth that kind of money.  I call Bullshiite on this one. 

Or a couple of big defensive linemen from Memphis? ;)

Calvin N Hawgs

$1 billion in donations.  White gets a new $1.7 million house.  Campus Security gets two of those useless "Transport" things that you stand up on and ride around.  The Physical Plant fiasco.  Tuition gets higher and higher...why is he still there? 

Lanny

Quote from: Calvin N Hawgs on July 01, 2005, 08:17:20 am
$1 billion in donations. White gets a new $1.7 million house. Campus Security gets two of those useless "Transport" things that you stand up on and ride around. The Physical Plant fiasco. Tuition gets higher and higher...why is he still there?

To increase White's bank account.  It's all about stuffing his pockets.

Al Bundy

Flatfoot

Hey I tell you what, I have worked for the U of A system for 14 years now.  The Chancellors at these schools have a pretty damn nice ride.  House, Car, Insurance, Retirement, and Stipends.  Dr. I. Dodd Wilson at UAMS only making about $275,000 on top of all these perks. 

SultanofSwine

He should strive to be more like the Gov and just get a triple wide and let Frank have whats left for hiring some new coaches. ;D

katocat13

The house he has on campus is only used for 'dinners' and 'meetings' with students as far as I know.  Ha and his wife (when she's in town) live in their bigger, better house that the UofA also paid for in some ritzi neighborhood somewhere.

Explain to me why we raise more money thru donations, yet have tuition hikes every single year?  Somebody?  Anybody?

And then explain to me why under White's leadership we have more administrators on campus making more money? 

not a fan of the man.

Flatfoot

UAMS is no different kato, more and more admins making big bucks for sitting on their ass. 

Flatfoot

July 01, 2005, 10:54:17 am #15 Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 10:57:15 am by flatfoot304
HoopHog, you are going to have to lay off the Black Jack!  ;D

mikeirwin

Well to be fair it's not going to be White's home, just a place he occupies until he's not the chancellor anymore. One point seven million ? That seems a bit much. I wonder where that figure came from ? I know that was the amount donated but did the Jonesboro couple just pull that figure out of the air or was some planning already done on the residence and it was determined that what they wanted was going to cost 1.7 million ?
Can't wait to see it. A mansion on the hill across from the Broyles center. Maybe they'll show it on ESPN.  ;D

hogmary

I am no fan of John White, either, but let's get the facts straight.  Dan Ferritor lived in his own home, never in a UA owned house.
The UA bought the house on Razorback that is next to the property where the new one will be built.  Supposedly, it is to be used for parties, receptions, etc for donors, students, alums.  University House and the house the Whites currently live in are not big enough to host parties for groups of 100-150, which this will be.  They regularly have parties and receptions in the current Razorback Road house.  Alan Sugg said that this will be the front door to the UA and it will be right across the street from the Alumni Assoc headquarters.  Maybe White will deign to walk across the street for at least one football reception.  The Fowlers gave this gift specifically for the house.  The UA has owned the land for years.  Hope that having John White for a neighbor does not negatively impact the market value of the house they will sell!
The house elsewhere is at Pinnacle in Rogers and the UA did not pay for that one...the Whites did.

junkyardhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 01, 2005, 07:13:41 am
White is oblivious to the common man. It's tough for alot of folks to hoist their legs and give birth to $2500/semester tuition eggs and he could care less. He's a first class prick.

2500 a semester? that is a bit steep.  But, I am applying to the U of Memphis right now. Out of state tuition is 2000, FOR ONE darned CLASS!!!!

Granted it is a doctorate degree, but still.  BTW- It is in Higher Education Management :)   seems like I'm on the right track!

Hogstradamus

"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."  -- Lou Holtz

"If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, then we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games." -- Paul Bear Bryant

junkyardhog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 01, 2005, 06:46:47 pm
I wonder what the reaction would have been if the UA had announced it was going to spend $1.7M for an on-campus house for the athletics director to host parties and fundraisers instead of the chancellor?

Forget the UA, I wonder how the Chancellor would have reacted! ;D

cmakrzrbak

He's a miserable piece of darn.  I despise that man.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

Amityvillehogger

I think we should just buy him a really nice double wide and put him off in the woods past the university by hiself.  Use the rest for the students.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

hawkeyefan17

Why would the U of A accept any money from Jonesboro? From everything I hear about Jonesboro they hate the Razorbacks over there.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on July 01, 2005, 07:57:32 pm
Why would the U of A accept any money from Jonesboro? From everything I hear about Jonesboro they hate the Razorbacks over there.

Only a few thousand in Jonesboro hate the Hogs, which is about the total number of ASU diehards there.

The rest of the town is very much Razorback territory.

JIHawg

I wonder what the reaction would have been if the UA had announced it was going to spend $1.7M for an on-campus house for the athletics director to host parties and fundraisers instead of the chancellor?

Why on earth would Frank downsize like that?  Get a grip, man.

Sleestak Hog

I think they already did that.  I believe it's called Reynolds Razorback Stadium and it cost just a bit more than 1.7M.

Sleestak Hog

Quote from: Calvin N Hawgs on July 01, 2005, 08:17:20 am
$1 billion in donations. White gets a new $1.7 million house. Campus Security gets two of those useless "Transport" things that you stand up on and ride around. The Physical Plant fiasco. Tuition gets higher and higher...why is he still there?

I think you could've stopped at "$1 billion in donations" and pretty much figured out the answer.

Anti-OtisII

People can donate money for whatever they feel is appropriate.  Yes, White is an a$$hole for so many reasons, but a new 1.7 million residence for parties and other functions is really needed.  I can't wait to get my invitation to the house warming party. 

I'm also glad to know that if I was to donate $100 to the University, I could stipulate that the money only be used to buy a new gum ball machine for the College of Engineering building.  I'm writing my check as I type this.....

Sleestak Hog

What I find humorous is tuitions go up and it's "oh that danged John White raised my tuition" as if Arkansas is the only school in the country that's facing large tuition hikes.  If some of you brainiacs made just a little effort you would find that virtually all public colleges across the country are jacking up tuition at some pretty high rates.  In fact I took the first step for you and got this one little article but there are several more like it available on the internet.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CollegeandFamily/P57654.asp

And just a little more research would see that the reasons given are pretty much universal; rising health insurance cost for employees, cutbacks in money from the state coffers.  Really it's pretty easy to find, just google it and you'll find several instances it's not just Arkansas.  But no, it's a lot easier just to cuss out John White because it's going to cost a little more to send your Sally Sue to school. 

If you really wanted to show that darned old John White a thing or two you'd just ship Sally to an out-of-state school.  Of course you would find immeadiately how cheap the UA is compared to it's neighboring states and how a large number of out-of-state kids come ot the UA because even it's out-of-state tuition is cheaper than it's home-state schools tuition.

Nobody likes paying more and tuition costs are getting out of hand, but blaming John White for a nationwide problem is really ignorant, especially for some on here that claim to be pretty educated.

junkyardhog

We braniacs bow down to your supreme intelligence! We are not even worthy to speak with you.

Why are you posting here and not on the mensa board?

Sleestak Hog

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 01, 2005, 10:28:21 pm
We braniacs bow down to your supreme intelligence! We are not even worthy to speak with you.

In this respect you are correct and yet you post a response anyway.  Strange.

junkyardhog

July 01, 2005, 11:37:27 pm #32 Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 11:51:06 pm by junkyardhog
Being that my roots are from poor white trash and I have taken a personal responsiblity to better myself and others around me, I have always taken offence to people who derive pleasure from trying to put others down with their pseudo-superior intellect.  I have always thought that behavior reeked of ignorance and low self-esteem because there is no other way they can prove superiority over another human being. 

It is a losing situation, because by doing this a person already admits that they are lesser and weaker by trying to 'prove' they are superior to others who may be disadvantaged.  To prove you are more of a person, you must battle at least your equals and mostly your superiors. When you win in that situation, then come back and let everyone know how 'intelligent' you are!

Go hogs!!  from: just another skoal dipping redneck ;)

Oh and another thing:

You've just been Beech Slapped because I'm............................

[attachment deleted by admin]

Oklahawg

A good deal of the $1B is tethered to whatever the donors want it tethered to. Most of us are here because we are Hog fanatics. Many are not necessarily UA fanatics. The $200M endowment of the athletic department could go a lonnnnng way towards easing tuition costs. UA spends, what?, $40M annually on the athletic department? Say there are 15,000 UA students, full-time. That's $2666 per student. But, I ain't gonna pay to watch some hung over frat rat sweat over an 8:30 chemistry exam. Not $32 a pop. Sure as hell not gonna pay extra so I get convenient parking to experience this lil' hootnanny.

That the Fowler's spent $1.7M on the chancellor's house doesn't bother me. I do wish that more of these big-dollar benefactors would give money unattached to the academic programs. That way ALL programs benefit, not just a couple of high-profile programs.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PerryHog

Don't much care for White either. His meddling in the athletic dept is a problem. The committee, fighing against, then finally allowing the d rule. Trying to replace Frank with Bev, god almighty! I find his predilection for gymnasts somewhat frightening as well.

Want to bet White will do his best to saddle us with a female AD if Frank ever passes?

His academic programs have not all been successful either. Didn't he want enrollment to be 20,000  by now? Hasn't happened, and I don't see it happening the way things are going. He's priced that kind of enrollment into not ever happeining, at least not at uaf. Uca might.

All that said, Whites' one helluva fundraiser I guess. Got to give him that. And even though I couldn't care less about uaf's academic reputation nationally, I am glad it's said that our rep is improving. State pride and all.

lard of the flies

QuoteDidn't he want enrollment to be 20,000  by now? Hasn't happened, and I don't see it happening the way things are going.

That's the goal for 2010.  Since White took over, enrollment is up 20% and is only about 3k shy with 5 years to go.

hogwildinhouston

There is one angle that has been overlooked.  Could it be that the Fowler's gave the money for the specific use to be building a new house for the UA Chancellor to use, even those after White?  Could it be that the appeal of all UA Chancellors living in The Fowler House spurred the donation?  Remember, more often than not benefactors donate money for specific purposes of their choosing, and the schools use it in that manner.

Rip on John White all you wish, and I agree with the majority of you that he seems to be an arrogant SOB.  Rip on him for tuition increases for instate students.  However, this doesn't seem to be a good reason to bash the man as he may not have had anything to do with the donation.  He may have, but there is the possibility that he did not.

PerryHog

I wish white well, at least on the academic side of things. I'd like him to stay the hell out of athletics.

Extra Point

Quote from: V B Porkers on July 01, 2005, 07:49:50 am
I thought he already had 2 houses
One belongs to the University, one belongs to the White's personally.

I cannot believe how personal emotion has gotten the best of most of you on this one.  If you are going to be pissed at someone, call the Fowler's.  If someone donates earmarked money, the UofA would have to break the law to spend it elsewhere and then get sued and pay it back.  It has nothing to do with tuition which was going up LONG before White stepped on campus.

The University NEEDS a showplace for the Chancellor and top Administration to court donors.  I bet there are only a handful of people on this board who even knows where the current Chancellor house is located.  Universities ALL over the nation do this, as well as corporations.  Tyson owns the largest house in Springdale for corporate entertaining purposes and let's not forget the house Red Hudson built in Pinnacle (14,000 sq ft) which took 3 1/2 years to build...again, meant for entertainment.

This is a perfect place to use the "don't hate the playah, hate the game" slogan...these folks giving money REQUIRE the proverbial "reach around" and doing it in luxury is unfortunately necessary.

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: PerryHog on July 02, 2005, 08:41:59 pm
I wish white well, at least on the academic side of things. I'd like him to stay the hell out of athletics.

What White needs to learn is that you can build a top notch public academic institution without destroying athletics.  All he needs to do is look at the top public universities and it's easy to see that.   2 public universities routinely make the Top 10 academic institutions - The University of Texas and the University of North Carolina.  Both of those schools seem to compete very well athletically as well, given they each one a national title in one of the 3 major mens sports this year.  Both also did very well in the other major sports as well. 

Ohio State and Michigan also rank high in academics as well, and they both seem to field pretty solid athletic teams.

White needs to learn you can have both, and not destroy one to get the other. 

Sleestak Hog

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on July 03, 2005, 06:50:38 pm
Quote from: PerryHog on July 02, 2005, 08:41:59 pm

What White needs to learn is that you can build a top notch public academic institution without destroying athletics.  All he needs to do is look at the top public universities and it's easy to see that.   2 public universities routinely make the Top 10 academic institutions - The University of Texas and the University of North Carolina.  Both of those schools seem to compete very well athletically as well, given they each one a national title in one of the 3 major mens sports this year.  Both also did very well in the other major sports as well. 

Ohio State and Michigan also rank high in academics as well, and they both seem to field pretty solid athletic teams.

White needs to learn you can have both, and not destroy one to get the other. 

Please list instances where John White has hurt the athletic programs.

Sleestak Hog

Quote from: Extra Point on July 03, 2005, 09:34:07 am
Quote from: V B Porkers on July 01, 2005, 07:49:50 am
I thought he already had 2 houses
One belongs to the University, one belongs to the White's personally.

I cannot believe how personal emotion has gotten the best of most of you on this one. If you are going to be pissed at someone, call the Fowler's. If someone donates earmarked money, the UofA would have to break the law to spend it elsewhere and then get sued and pay it back. It has nothing to do with tuition which was going up LONG before White stepped on campus.

The University NEEDS a showplace for the Chancellor and top Administration to court donors. I bet there are only a handful of people on this board who even knows where the current Chancellor house is located. Universities ALL over the nation do this, as well as corporations. Tyson owns the largest house in Springdale for corporate entertaining purposes and let's not forget the house Red Hudson built in Pinnacle (14,000 sq ft) which took 3 1/2 years to build...again, meant for entertainment.

This is a perfect place to use the "don't hate the playah, hate the game" slogan...these folks giving money REQUIRE the proverbial "reach around" and doing it in luxury is unfortunately necessary.

In the future would you please refrain from posting actual facts and common sense in a bash John White thread?

Thank you.

oldfart

hey im waiting for them to build a house for me!!! as a long time faculty member i see increases in health insurance, parking, every thing else from my paycheck.  for years we didnt even get a break on our kid's tuition which is common at most other state universities.......on the rare occasion when we do get a raise it seems that something else is taken out or increased and my take home is about the same as before..... oh well, i love my job and love teaching.. thats what its all about...

Hog6

Quote from: oldfart on July 07, 2005, 12:02:08 pm
hey im waiting for them to build a house for me!!! as a long time faculty member i see increases in health insurance, parking, every thing else from my paycheck. for years we didnt even get a break on our kid's tuition which is common at most other state universities.......on the rare occasion when we do get a raise it seems that something else is taken out or increased and my take home is about the same as before..... oh well, i love my job and love teaching.. thats what its all about...

Do you know what B. Alan Suggs' background is?  I think there was an Alan Suggs in my high school class at Fayetteville back in the early 70's.

Flatfoot

Dr. Sugg is much older than what you are talking about Hog6.  Dr. Sugg is in his early 60's.

Jim Harris

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 01, 2005, 06:54:34 am
First the announcement that the Campaign for the Twenty-first Century had met its goals, and now this.

Per the AP and Arkansas Business, Wallace and Jamma Fowler of Jonesboro have committed to give $1.75 million to UA for the purpose of constructing a new university chancellor's residence. It's gonna be called the Fowler House, and per B. Alan Sugg will be a "signature facility." "A new chancellor's residence is very important to the university and will create a most prestigious gathering place for university constituents and serve as a statement of quality about the type of university we have become," Sugg said.

Y'all know that Houston Nutt is close to Wallace Fowler. That closeness is what kept Dickey Nutt in his job as Arkansas State basketball coach this past March, when every indication was that he should and would be fired. Wallace Fowler, a member of the A-State board, gets special perks via Houston Nutt during football season that I doubt anyone else in Arkansas that isn't a UA Board of Trustee is privileged to enjoy.
Now, the Fowlers have tossed in a nice $1.7 million for the chancellor's home.
Looks like the wise ol' Houston Nutt is going to be sitting pretty with all the UA higher ups over the next few seasons of 6-5 and 5-6. He may act like a yahoo a lot, and call plays like a high school coaching yahoo most of the time, but by gosh this guy is a friggin' genius at getting a job he never deserved and keeping the dang thing.
Also, though I was encouraged a few months ago that Butch Davis would very well be our next coach, you can forget that now. He is sliding in close enough to the Joneses to assure he'll be the replacement for Parcells. Tuberville would like that job, too, but it looks like Butch is done coaching any college boys and rebuilding programs and headed for Dallas at the next head coaching opening there. And it's highly unlikelly even a blank check from Tyson can change his mind on that. oh well.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

sooie dog

Quote from: drakehog on July 07, 2005, 03:35:45 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 01, 2005, 06:54:34 am

Per the AP and Arkansas Business, Wallace and Jamma Fowler of Jonesboro have committed to give $1.75 million to UA for the purpose of constructing a new university chancellor's residence. It's gonna be called the Fowler House, and per B. Alan Sugg will be a "signature facility." "A new chancellor's residence is very important to the university and will create a most prestigious gathering place for university constituents and serve as a statement of quality about the type of university we have become," Sugg said.

Y'all know that Houston Nutt is close to Wallace Fowler. That closeness is what kept Dickey Nutt in his job as Arkansas State basketball coach this past March, when every indication was that he should and would be fired. Wallace Fowler, a member of the A-State board, gets special perks via Houston Nutt during football season that I doubt anyone else in Arkansas that isn't a UA Board of Trustee is privileged to enjoy.
Now, the Fowlers have tossed in a nice $1.7 million for the chancellor's home.
Looks like the wise ol' Houston Nutt is going to be sitting pretty with all the UA higher ups over the next few seasons of 6-5 and 5-6. He may act like a yahoo a lot, and call plays like a high school coaching yahoo most of the time, but by gosh this guy is a friggin' genius at getting a job he never deserved and keeping the dang thing.
Also, though I was encouraged a few months ago that Butch Davis would very well be our next coach, you can forget that now. He is sliding in close enough to the Joneses to assure he'll be the replacement for Parcells. Tuberville would like that job, too, but it looks like Butch is done coaching any college boys and rebuilding programs and headed for Dallas at the next head coaching opening there. And it's highly unlikelly even a blank check from Tyson can change his mind on that. oh well.

Send Whites ass packing and give the house to Butch.

Hog6

Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 07, 2005, 03:32:58 pm
Dr. Sugg is much older than what you are talking about Hog6. Dr. Sugg is in his early 60's.

Thanks, man. 

PerryHog

Hey hog6, I knew some suggs' in fayetteville in the 70's. John, Mary(had a crush on her for years), Eddie and Mark. Lived up on sunset, cool folks, loaded to the gills. That who you're thinking of?

JIHawg

Just curious-how did the Fowlers make their money?