Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why doesn't Nutt or Heath have a call in show?

Started by Hoggysoprano, June 29, 2005, 09:17:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on June 30, 2005, 03:35:21 pm
If Nutt and Heath did have radio shows I doubt that finding affiliates to carry the shows would be a problem.
Go ask people in radio sales about that.
You might be surprised at the answer.
If such a show existed I would be shocked if Chuck's show didn't have higher ratings.

Flatfoot

Because of the Razorbacks being the only show in state all of the media knows if you criticize the program it will be hard to get access to any Hog story. (I put this in my earlier thread)

Mike, You will never get a true call-in show in this state.  If you ever had a media personality with the balls enough to get on the radio and tell people negative items on basketball and football, they wouldn't last long.    Or, they sure as hell won't get access to Razorback stories. JFB and the athletic department would not give them press credentials.  All you have to do is listen to Rick Schaffer, Rainwater, and Barret everyday to know this or read Otis, Cain, or Wally in the paper.  Everyone knows if they cross Frank and rip the program they won't be working long.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

mikeirwin

Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 01, 2005, 10:46:14 am
Because of the Razorbacks being the only show in state all of the media knows if you criticize the program it will be hard to get access to any Hog story. (I put this in my earlier thread)

Mike, You will never get a true call-in show in this state. If you ever had a media personality with the balls enough to get on the radio and tell people negative items on basketball and football, they wouldn't last long. Or, they sure as hell won't get access to Razorback stories. JFB and the athletic department would not give them press credentials. All you have to do is listen to Rick Schaffer, Rainwater, and Barret everyday to know this or read Otis, Cain, or Wally in the paper. Everyone knows if they cross Frank and rip the program they won't be working long.
I will ask this again because it keeps coming up: Show me any evidence of a member of the media being denied a press pass because of anything he or she wrote or said ? I only know of one incident ever where Broyles called and complained about a story.
A sportswriter in Fayetteville called Broyles a coward in print right after Broyles had made the decision to drop swimming as a sport. Broyles called the guy's boss and said he didn't like being called a coward. Criticize the decision but don't get personal Broyles said. The guy's boss reread the story, decided it was way over the top and fired the guy.  I checked on this. Broyles did not demand that the writer be fired. He just wanted his boss to know that he didn't think name calling was good journalism. I agree.
Houston Nutt got so mad at Scott Cain after practice one day he was yelling at him. I didn't notice Scott's seat going empty at the game that week.
There was a guy named keith Isbell who worked for KNWA several years ago. He was all over Danny Ford, Nolan Richardson, and Frank Broyles. Nolan wouldn't answer his questions at press conferences. But he was never denied a press pass. Nobody took away his parking or free food. What you are implying is a myth. Just like it's a myth that the entire sports media is in HDN's back pocket.
Who in their right mind would accuse Scott Faldon of being a Razorback homer ?
Yet I've seen Scott at games before IN THE PRESS BOX. HE WAS WEARING A PRESS PASS. I assume he parked somewhere and I'll bet it didn't cost him. The whole time I was there nobody threatened to take away his beans and brisket.
Yes Chuck Barrett works for the university on both baseball and football broadcasts. Because of that he may be somewhat restricted in saying certain things. But a person who has no such ties, like Bo or me is not gonna get kicked off the air for saying unflattering things about coaches or the AD.
Keep writing this nonsense all you want. It's not true.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HoopHog on June 30, 2005, 05:17:25 pm
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on June 30, 2005, 03:35:56 pm
I don't see how a call-in show would benefit anybody...be they the coaches OR the fans.

Lando, I respectfully disagree with you on this point. I think both Heath and Nutt could both help themselves by doing call in shows. As of right now, both of them give the appearance that they duck and cover from any criticism. I think both coaches could use an opportunity like a call in show to really help convey their ideas and quickly address so many of the rumors that often float around here in the Hog Nation. This would benefit the Razorback fan base by (perhaps) making us more cohesive as we all better understand where our coaches are coming from, in terms of their gameplans, strategies, opinions, etc.

The state is too small to have enough callers who would bring good questions, unless the callers were limited to the Dale, Buck Ocean set.
[CENSORED]!

Flatfoot

July 01, 2005, 12:43:28 pm #54 Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 01:03:15 pm by flatfoot304
Mike, okay, I disagree with you respectfully, No one in the media criticizes the programs.  I want a journalist that will be honest with his reader, listener, or viewer.  If you think that Heath, Nutt, Van Horn, or Broyles is doing a terrible job then say it.  No one will come out and say some things that I think should be said.  But that is me.  I NEVER SAID THAT THE PRESS WAS IN HDN'S BACK POCKET.  My point is that JFB has a lot of influence on how the press covers the Razorbacks. 

When is the last time a longtime media person who covers the Razorbacks on a regular basis come out and say negative comments about the programs.  You don't hear it.  That is my point in a nutshell.   If no one hears negative comments from the press about Razorback programs then the myth (according to you) will continue.  Many on this board will tell you that HDN needs to hire an Offensive Coordinator.  I can't believe that no one who covers Razorback Football agrees.  Or other items, such as no one has asked HDN if he thinks he is on the hot seat for the flirtation with Nebraska or LSU.  You know this is talked about widely around the state.  Heath according to several media people is on the hot seat.  But why is no one asking him this.  If you are afraid to ask the tough questions then you are not doing justice for your profession.  (I am not accusing you of this.)

A fine example is what you wrote about the comment about Broyles being a coward and the reporter being fired.  Broyles can't take a negative comment about his decision to discontinue the swimming program.  Broyles is a public figure with a high profile job.  The reporter was stating his opinion and got canned.  Where is your freedom of speech?  You don't think that this action by Frank doesn't influence other journalists?

hogsanity

Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 01, 2005, 12:43:28 pm

A fine example is what you wrote about the comment about Broyles being a coward and the reporter being fired. Broyles can't take a negative comment about his decision to discontinue the swimming program. Broyles is a public figure with a high profile job. The reporter was stating his opinion and got canned. Where is your freedom of speech? You don't think that this action by Frank doesn't influence other journalists?

THe coward comment was not about the decision to drop swimming, it was a personal attack.  TO critisize the decision would have been to say something like " The decsion to drop swimming, for whjatever reason, is not good for the university or those involved with the program.  AD Broyles should come forth with his reasons for this decision.  " 

But no, the writer had to get personal and call Broyles a coward. First, thats just bad writing, and second it only takes away from any credibility the story had.  When one resorts to 3rd grade playground name calling, I begin to question their ability to be objective about anything.   

Read the constitution, free speech does not mean the right to slander someone. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Flatfoot

Okay we do it all the time with politicians, coaches, and other public figures, how bout calling a coach gutless for not making a critical move.  Is that not personal?

mikeirwin

Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 01, 2005, 12:43:28 pm
Mike, okay, I disagree with you respectfully, No one in the media criticizes the programs.  I want a journalist that will be honest with his reader, listener, or viewer. 
A fine example is what you wrote about the comment about Broyles being a coward and the reporter being fired. Broyles can't take a negative comment about his decision to discontinue the swimming program. Broyles is a public figure with a high profile job. The reporter was stating his opinion and got canned. Where is your freedom of speech? You don't think that this action by Frank doesn't influence other journalists?
The example I gave is the only time in 30 years I have known Broyles to do something like that. I think he had a right to be steamed. As a reporter you can say he was wrong to kill the swimming program. You can list the reasons why. You can say he is the wrong man for the job. But call him a coward in print ? In the old days they'd have fought a duel over something like that. If I were the writer's boss I would not have fired him but I would have made him apologize in print. Good journalism is not about name calling. That's third grade stuff.
You pose some other interesting questions. I will try to answer some of them when I get time later today.

hogsanity

Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 01, 2005, 01:17:07 pm
Okay we do it all the time with politicians, coaches, and other public figures, how bout calling a coach gutless for not making a critical move. Is that not personal?

Sure you can call him gutless for not making a critical move....... if you call him brilliant when does make the right call.

To make good pints on either side you dont have to call anyone anything. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawkeyefan17

This state has one team, the Razorbacks. Not all Razorback fans in Arkansas live in the Northwest part of the state. A call in show would be especially beneficial to those areas of the state that aren't as well connected to what is going on in Fayetteville.

Given the obvious hunger that a lot of Razorback fans have for information about the university and its teams I would think that if Nutt and Heath did have radio shows they would get many listeners.

Coaches call in shows would cut down on rumors that fly around.

I know that this happens alot when I post on one of the Hawkeye message boards...

Someone like me who lives out of state and maybe I could not catch the Ferentz or Alford shows on the radio and I post a question on a board like "I see (name player) has left the team, anyone heard why?" inevitably someone posts back and says "coach said on his show last wednesday night..."

My question gets answered based on what the coach said and the thread dies or the thread contines and posters talk about the coaches comments.

This may not be the best example in the world but radio shows are a way to better control information and if everyone knows how the coach feels about certain things because he talks about them on his show then fans might better understand where the coach is coming from then certain things may not become issues.

Flatfoot

Mike I appreciate the answer, I really do.  By being a fan and coming to read and respond to this board, listening to Drive Time or Barret, watch the news and you hear callers on the show ask these questions.  You begin to wonder why aren't these questions being asked by the media to the coaches who are doing the job.  I have yet to hear anyone from the Arkansas media ask HDN or Heath if they think they are on the hotseat because of issues that have been brought up here, radio, and TV. 

The job of the media is to gather the collective thought of the public, ask the questions the public would want to ask these people (coaches) so that we can make a better decision through the information you provide.  That is what I ask from a journalist.  Nothing more nothing less.

Turnberry

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 01, 2005, 11:27:48 am
But a person who has no such ties, like Bo or me is not gonna get kicked off the air for saying unflattering things about coaches or the AD.

Wow.  Your comment only supports what most hog fans know.  Most members of the Arkansas media (excluding CB in your view) aren't biased homers out of fear of losing there jobs, rather it's because of who they are. Are they just poor journalists?  Are they cowards with no backbone? Do they just fear being disliked by the coaches/JFB.   You tell me...........

aka PlanoHog

junkyardhog

I would favor a call in show and I would think everyone here would; why? Because much like we bounce ideas off each other here, it would give us a chance to hear the same responses from the coach.  Hell, isn't that what a call in show is about?

Instead of the 60 seconds directly after the game that Coach Nutt gives to Paul, we would actually have some reasonable questions that are answered honestly.  I think the Coaches owe it to talk to us! Hell, we pay the bills don't we?

hogsanity

Quote from: junkyardhog on July 01, 2005, 02:34:02 pm
I would favor a call in show and I would think everyone here would; why? Because much like we bounce ideas off each other here, it would give us a chance to hear the same responses from the coach. Hell, isn't that what a call in show is about?

Instead of the 60 seconds directly after the game that Coach Nutt gives to Paul, we would actually have some reasonable questions that are answered honestly. I think the Coaches owe it to talk to us! Hell, we pay the bills don't we?

What are you going to ask HDn anyway?  Do you think if people ask him " Coach Nutt, Auburs pass defense has been weak this year, so you are planning to throw 30 times this week arent you?".  You think he is going to answer that?  And, when he doesnt answer he will be vilified for being evasive. Or maybe he can get the old " Coach Nutt, I think you really should hire a OC"  What can he say.  If he agrees, then he gets killed for going 8 yrs without one, and if he says no, then he gets killed for not havong one.

I would be all for a call in show if I thought it would be little more than a bunch of ex high school wannabe friday night heroes second guessing the coach. 

Now, if maybe it was once a month it might be different, but what is going to change day to day or week to week to make it worth his time, the sations time, the hosts time, or frankly my time. I seriously doubt HDN and Heath are the only coaches in D1 that do not have call in shows. 

mikeirwin

Quote from: Turnberry on July 01, 2005, 01:41:30 pm
But a person who has no such ties, like Bo or me is not gonna get kicked off the air for saying unflattering things about coaches or the AD.

Wow. Your comment only supports what most hog fans know. Most members of the Arkansas media (excluding CB in your view) aren't biased homers out of fear of losing there jobs, rather it's because of who they are. Are they just poor journalists? Are they cowards with no backbone? Do they just fear being disliked by the coaches/JFB. You tell me...........

I don't think they are poor journalists. Some of you guys think a great journalist is a guy who will try to embarrass a coach at every opportunity. I'm not going to press conferences and ask something like, "Do you think you're going to be fired, Houston ?"
What would be the point ? Do any of you think Nutt would say, "Yes ?"
Now I WOULD ask that question if I had reason to believe it was about to happen.
There are people on this board who think Nutt stinks as a coach and should have been removed 3 or 4 years ago. But I'm convinced that's not the dominant opinion among Razorback fans. So should I ask, "Coach there seems to be a group of fans posting on message boards who think you stink and want you fired. What do you think about that ?"
I already know what he thinks. He's said on several occasions that he thinks message boards are hurting the program. I don't agree with him but that's not a good basis for some type of continuing story.
What about the people on this board who like him and think he's doing a good job ? Should I ask Houston, "Coach a lot of message board people like you. They think you do a good job. What do you think about that ?" I'm not gonna toss him a softball question like that either.
My job is to do cover that football program day to day. I report what I see. I don't have an agenda like some of you. I'm not out to get him fired. I'm not out to see him keep his job. I'm here to report on what happens and yes on the radio I'll say what I think. Just like you guys do here.
I may have been the first media person to call for Nutt to hire an offensive coordinator. I did that the Monday after the 2001 Tennessee game in the rain in Fayetteville. The play book shrunk to about 4 plays in that game. Nutt was trying so hard to avoid a turnover he ended up with no offense and no way to win the game without shutting Tennessee out. But I'm not going to go on the air every day and say he needs to fire himself as the O coordinator. Beyond a certain point there's no point in continuing to say it. It's my opinion and I stated it. Then I went about doing my job again. Observe and report.
Most reporters who cover the Hogs do the same thing.
Maybe some of you guys will get your wish at some point. Maybe a dramatic Geraldo Rivera type will show up and hurl penetrating questions at Nutt and Heath in an attempt to make them look like scared losers.
If so I'll make you a little bet. I'll bet you that both Nutt and Heath will handle themselves just fine and the reporter in question will not be fired and will not be denied a press pass.

Lanny

Wow,

Good debates and civil too.  Keep going
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

mikeirwin

One more note on this subject: From personal observation Heath seems a little more thin skinned than Nutt but neither can hold a candle to Nolan who sometimes went bonkers over questions that seemed rather routine.  ???

Flatfoot

Quote from: mikeirwin on July 01, 2005, 03:38:33 pm
Quote from: Turnberry on July 01, 2005, 01:41:30 pm

Wow. Your comment only supports what most hog fans know. Most members of the Arkansas media (excluding CB in your view) aren't biased homers out of fear of losing there jobs, rather it's because of who they are. Are they just poor journalists? Are they cowards with no backbone? Do they just fear being disliked by the coaches/JFB. You tell me...........

I don't think they are poor journalists. Some of you guys think a great journalist is a guy who will try to embarrass a coach at every opportunity. I'm not going to press conferences and ask something like, "Do you think you're going to be fired, Houston ?"
What would be the point ? Do any of you think Nutt would say, "Yes ?"
Now I WOULD ask that question if I had reason to believe it was about to happen.
There are people on this board who think Nutt stinks as a coach and should have been removed 3 or 4 years ago. But I'm convinced that's not the dominant opinion among Razorback fans. So should I ask, "Coach there seems to be a group of fans posting on message boards who think you stink and want you fired. What do you think about that ?"
I already know what he thinks. He's said on several occasions that he thinks message boards are hurting the program. I don't agree with him but that's not a good basis for some type of continuing story.
What about the people on this board who like him and think he's doing a good job ? Should I ask Houston, "Coach a lot of message board people like you. They think you do a good job. What do you think about that ?" I'm not gonna toss him a softball question like that either.
My job is to do cover that football program day to day. I report what I see. I don't have an agenda like some of you. I'm not out to get him fired. I'm not out to see him keep his job. I'm here to report on what happens and yes on the radio I'll say what I think. Just like you guys do here.
I may have been the first media person to call for Nutt to hire an offensive coordinator. I did that the Monday after the 2001 Tennessee game in the rain in Fayetteville. The play book shrunk to about 4 plays in that game. Nutt was trying so hard to avoid a turnover he ended up with no offense and no way to win the game without shutting Tennessee out. But I'm not going to go on the air every day and say he needs to fire himself as the O coordinator. Beyond a certain point there's no point in continuing to say it. It's my opinion and I stated it. Then I went about doing my job again. Observe and report.
Most reporters who cover the Hogs do the same thing.
Maybe some of you guys will get your wish at some point. Maybe a dramatic Geraldo Rivera type will show up and hurl penetrating questions at Nutt and Heath in an attempt to make them look like scared losers.
If so I'll make you a little bet. I'll bet you that both Nutt and Heath will handle themselves just fine and the reporter in question will not be fired and will not be denied a press pass.

[/

That is all good and fine Mike, but guess what, you won't find someone in the media in Arkansas that will ask those questions.  You won't, Bo won't, Eels won't, Wally won't, Rainwater, Schaffer, Otis, Scott Cain, or any others that have an established name covering the Hogs will ask these tough questions.  Why, I don't know, but I sure would like to understand.  Why is a penetrating question an attempt to make the coaches look like scared losers.  It is not.  It is a fair question when a good percentage of fans are wanting to know.  Even if Nutt or Heath answered the question as to being on the hotseat,  There is always pressure on coaches to win would be good enough for me.  As far as Heath maybe being a little thin-skinned about criticism, I could care less.  The man is making a huge amount of money to coach the basketball team.  Your job as a reporter is not worrying about if they are thin-skinned or not.  It is to ask questions from the people who watch, read, and listen to you.  So we can be better informed as to the program we follow each and every day.  As a contributor to the program and wanting to see the Razorbacks back on the map in college football and basketball, we should be asking these questions.  If we don't find what is broke how can we ever fix a problem that comes up.  You can't do this by sugarcoating the subject.

GorillaJMonsoon

July 05, 2005, 09:34:36 pm #68 Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 08:14:10 am by GorillaJMonsoon

TNhogfan

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 30, 2005, 09:53:36 am
Chuck does okay with his show and so does Rainwater but coaches who make what Nutt and Heath pull down wouldn't waste their time for an extra 20 or 30 thousand bucks a year.
If I told you what Bo and I get for doing Press Row you'd laugh. We mainly do it for fun.
Nutt and Heath are not going to do a show for fun. Even though they'd get a lot more than we do it would still be peanuts to them.
Phil Fulmer and Pat Summit are both on during their seasons as well as during the off-season on VolCalls broadcast throughout TN on the Vol network, each Monday at 8 Eastern.  In addition, other coaches from the TN athletic department make appearances.  Bob Kesling, the TN play-by-play man hosts.  Pretty sure that Phat and Pat both make more than Nutt and Heath.  Course, Phat Phil usually has prior commitments on the Mondays following a Vol loss.

Smithian

I think I know why they have no call=in show... People like the ones who post here would get on there and mopan, groan, cry and belly ache how he ONLY had 7 winning seasons. The same disgusting pessimism that is on this site.

Anhyways, on the media thing, the WPost was always badmouthing the Redskins, you no longer see the Post getting any Redskins interviews.

junkyardhog

Smithian probably has a point. More so than any other post on this thread.

Smithian

Personally, I really like the Houston Nutt show with him ging over the game.

Flatfoot

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on July 05, 2005, 09:34:36 pm
Ok, pretend someone asks one of those tough questions to Heath on TV.

Reporter:  "Coach Heath, there have been reports that you have met privately with Frank Broyles to dicsuss the future of the program, and also your position as Head Coach of the Razorbacks."

Heath :  "Yes, that is correct.  Coach Broyles and I spoke for about two hours today over lunch.  We discussed last season, especially the collapse at the end that sent us home on a rather negative note.  We seemed unprepared and unmotivated to play the type of basketball that is required to be competitive in the SEC and Coach Broyles was wondering if the team lacked a strong disciplinarian on the bench.  He suggested that we hire Herrion, who had experience as a head coach and is considered be many to be a tough, demanding coach who gets the most out of his players every night.  Herrion ended up taking the New Hampshrire job, but I think we found an able replacement.  I sure hope so because Coach Broyles told me that I have until the end of next season to show some noticeable improvement or he would be forced to go in another direction coaching-wise."

Reporter:  Coach don't you think that by discussing this openly on your show, that you might be hurting your recruiting efforts?  You know, if a player thinks you might be gone next year, he might not trust the stability of the situation here at Arkansas, and that may send him to another school.

Heath:  Well, you're right, it probably does hurt some, but its more important to me that those guys out there on the internet message boards get the truth.  And ever since the Freedom of Sports Information Act was passed last year, we have made sure that our program and all of its internal activities are transparent to the public.  On our website, we have the archived transcripts of every conversation between Coach Broyles and all of the Head Coaches.  In fact, you can download a PDF of the short paper I had to write for Coach Broyles last spring. 

Reporter:  So its all about the message board guys?

Heath:  Absolutely, I tell you, I love my new show, and I NEVER get tired of answering questions about Olu Famutimi.
(SG-Arkansas Rimrockers)

Reporter: Thanks Coach.  That's all the time we have for this weeks edition of the Stan Heath Show.  Tonights show was brought to you by the Toggery in Little Rock.

Fade to commercial...

Wally:  Hello, I'm Wally Hall.  When I need a new shirt but can't quite find the size I'm looking for, I go to the Toggery...

Can't you see how that would be a disaster and that some questions might be better left unasked in public?  For the benefit of the program, especially recruiting-wise, can't you just go without the public airing of all the heat that might be under the coaches seats?  You might be right about a lot of what you post about, but will having all that come out in public really benefit the program?  Don't we hear enough sports cliches as it is? Are you some kind of masochist?

J

Gorilla you brought up some valid points.  I agree with you in a way but disagree in others.  Mike Irwin in one of his earlier posts said that he brought up after the 2001 Tennessee game that HDN should have an Offensive Coordinator.  If Mike thinks this an openly writes about it or reports it, then why can't that question be asked to the Coach directly.  I would consider this to be a tough question.  I think that it is a fair question.  But none of the media will not even think about asking some of the tough questions that I think need to be asked.  It also sounds like you have been a ex-coach and already faced some of these questions.   ;D

WilsonHog

Quote from: flatfoot304 on July 06, 2005, 10:33:29 am
Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on July 05, 2005, 09:34:36 pm
Ok, pretend someone asks one of those tough questions to Heath on TV.

Reporter:  "Coach Heath, there have been reports that you have met privately with Frank Broyles to dicsuss the future of the program, and also your position as Head Coach of the Razorbacks."

Heath :  "Yes, that is correct.  Coach Broyles and I spoke for about two hours today over lunch.  We discussed last season, especially the collapse at the end that sent us home on a rather negative note.  We seemed unprepared and unmotivated to play the type of basketball that is required to be competitive in the SEC and Coach Broyles was wondering if the team lacked a strong disciplinarian on the bench.  He suggested that we hire Herrion, who had experience as a head coach and is considered be many to be a tough, demanding coach who gets the most out of his players every night.  Herrion ended up taking the New Hampshrire job, but I think we found an able replacement.  I sure hope so because Coach Broyles told me that I have until the end of next season to show some noticeable improvement or he would be forced to go in another direction coaching-wise."

Reporter:  Coach don't you think that by discussing this openly on your show, that you might be hurting your recruiting efforts?  You know, if a player thinks you might be gone next year, he might not trust the stability of the situation here at Arkansas, and that may send him to another school.

Heath:  Well, you're right, it probably does hurt some, but its more important to me that those guys out there on the internet message boards get the truth.  And ever since the Freedom of Sports Information Act was passed last year, we have made sure that our program and all of its internal activities are transparent to the public.  On our website, we have the archived transcripts of every conversation between Coach Broyles and all of the Head Coaches.  In fact, you can download a PDF of the short paper I had to write for Coach Broyles last spring. 

Reporter:  So its all about the message board guys?

Heath:  Absolutely, I tell you, I love my new show, and I NEVER get tired of answering questions about Olu Famutimi.
(SG-Arkansas Rimrockers)

Reporter: Thanks Coach.  That's all the time we have for this weeks edition of the Stan Heath Show.  Tonights show was brought to you by the Toggery in Little Rock.

Fade to commercial...

Wally:  Hello, I'm Wally Hall.  When I need a new shirt but can't quite find the size I'm looking for, I go to the Toggery...

Can't you see how that would be a disaster and that some questions might be better left unasked in public?  For the benefit of the program, especially recruiting-wise, can't you just go without the public airing of all the heat that might be under the coaches seats?  You might be right about a lot of what you post about, but will having all that come out in public really benefit the program?  Don't we hear enough sports cliches as it is? Are you some kind of masochist?

J

Gorilla you brought up some valid points.  I agree with you in a way but disagree in others.  Mike Irwin in one of his earlier posts said that he brought up after the 2001 Tennessee game that HDN should have an Offensive Coordinator.  If Mike thinks this an openly writes about it or reports it, then why can't that question be asked to the Coach directly.  I would consider this to be a tough question.  I think that it is a fair question.  But none of the media will not even think about asking some of the tough questions that I think need to be asked.  It also sounds like you have been a ex-coach and already faced some of these questions.  ;D

HDN has been asked the offensive coordinator question, more times than once.  He just hasn't given the answer most folks want.  What I remember him saying, first pretty cordially and then rather prickly, is that he enjoys calling the plays and he'll be his own offensive coordinator until he no longer enjoys it.

LSUFan

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 06, 2005, 02:26:47 pm

HDN has been asked the offensive coordinator question, more times than once. He just hasn't given the answer most folks want. What I remember him saying, first pretty cordially and then rather prickly, is that he enjoys calling the plays and he'll be his own offensive coordinator until he no longer enjoys it.

I guess Hog fans don't count? From what I can tell, most Hog Fans ain't "enjoying" it anymore. This team BLEEDS for an OC. JMO :-\

hogsanity

Quote from: LSUFan on July 06, 2005, 02:36:19 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on July 06, 2005, 02:26:47 pm

HDN has been asked the offensive coordinator question, more times than once. He just hasn't given the answer most folks want. What I remember him saying, first pretty cordially and then rather prickly, is that he enjoys calling the plays and he'll be his own offensive coordinator until he no longer enjoys it.

I guess Hog fans don't count? From what I can tell, most Hog Fans ain't "enjoying" it anymore. This team BLEEDS for an OC. JMO :-\

Hog fans count, but not to the point that the fans dictate what the coach does or doesnt do, and who does or doesnt call the plays.