Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why doesn't Nutt or Heath have a call in show?

Started by Hoggysoprano, June 29, 2005, 09:17:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggysoprano

All the other schools in the SEC's coaches have call in shows. 

WilsonHog

I don't know why they shouldn't, but I bet I know why they don't.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 29, 2005, 09:19:10 pm
I don't know why they shouldn't, but I bet I know why they don't.

Why would that be?  Is it because they don't want to answer questions?

Anti-OtisII

Otis is too busy playing softball to host?   ;D

Now that's a pretty picture......."Uhmmm Coach, do you think we will ever be able to recover from the effects of the NCAA investigation?"

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on June 29, 2005, 09:59:44 pm
Otis is too busy playing softball to host?   ;D

Now that's a pretty picture......."Uhmmm Coach, do you think we will ever be able to recover from the effects of the NCAA investigation?"
;D

Or "Coach how did you learn to be the best coach in the country?"   

pioneerhog

Just think of how many times we would have to hear "they really bounced around out there" or "we are takeing babysteps right now" if he had a call in show.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: pioneerhog on June 29, 2005, 10:03:43 pm
Just think of how many times we would have to hear "they really bounced around out there" or "we are takeing babysteps right now" if he had a call in show.

Or the words golly and precious.

Turnberry

It wouldn't take long for the listener to become nautious from all the overused cliche's and "generic" football phrases coming out of Nutt's mouth.

aka PlanoHog

WilsonHog

The reason we don't have call-in shows is the same reason we don't play in-state schools.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Turnberry on June 29, 2005, 10:12:43 pm

It wouldn't take long for the listener to become nautious from all the overused cliche's and "generic" football phrases coming out of Nutt's mouth.

Once again, I tremble at the thought of anything coming out of Otis' mouth.  Of course, he would have to get up off of his knees from in front of HDN to be able to ask any questions. 

That was totally uncalled for........I'm sorry. 

NO, I'm not sorry.

JD Hogg

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 29, 2005, 09:17:40 pm

Well, Hoggy, I'm a pretty good guesser and if I had to guess it would be because he would have to answer tougher questions than he's used to getting from the sports "journalists". 

Just a guess.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: JD Hogg on June 29, 2005, 10:24:53 pm

Well, Hoggy, I'm a pretty good guesser and if I had to guess it would be because he would have to answer tougher questions than he's used to getting from the sports "journalists".

Just a guess.

Boy, you're amazing. ;D

That is probably the answer guys like you and I would get when we called in.  Like he doesn't have to answer any questions.

WilsonHog

Who was the first UA coach to have a call-in show?

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 29, 2005, 10:31:37 pm

I believe Frank had one.  I know that Holtz did.

Anti-OtisII

Nolan?  I vaguely remember Hatfield having call-ins on his TV show I think?  Maybe not.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 29, 2005, 10:32:57 pm

I believe Frank had one. I know that Holtz did.

What about it, Mike? Did Holtz or JFB have a call-in show? What was the format?

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on June 29, 2005, 10:34:40 pm

Nolan? I vaguely remember Hatfield having call-ins on his TV show I think? Maybe not.

Lou had his on the radio network in Wednesday nights. I remember because I called in a few times.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 29, 2005, 10:36:05 pm
Quote from: Anti-OtisII on June 29, 2005, 10:34:40 pm

Nolan? I vaguely remember Hatfield having call-ins on his TV show I think? Maybe not.

Lou had his on the radio network in Wednesday nights. I remember because I called in a few times.

I was in school then.  I guess I was too busy to care at the time, or maybe it was a conflict with the A-Team on TV.  I pity the fool...  ;D

Since 1894

Like most productions (except for Press Row this morning), they are taped delayed.  All we (the audience) would hear would be the "homer" questions and the "ataboys" from the favorable callers.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Porquemada

June 29, 2005, 10:40:57 pm #19 Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:58:06 pm by Pork'n Beans
I doubt Heath or Nutt are too anxious to be made to look stupid on statewide radio until gametime that is.

Hoggysoprano

I also seem to remember that Eddie Sutton had one also for a while. 

Swino

Why would they have a call in show unless they have to?  Houston knows that he can't beat anybody with a winning record and Heath knows he pretty much can't beat anybody.  Would you want to answer to fans and supporters?  Heck no.

NuttsSacked

Because UCA (Universal Cheerleading Association) already has a spokesperson.

junkyardhog

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 29, 2005, 10:42:36 pm

Was it sponsored by Anheuser Busch?

Lord, I apoligize. Starving pygmies, kids in Africa etc.

Illinihog

I thought Eddie's was sponsored by Jack Daniels or something, his face really looks like an old catcher's mitt.  If HDN had a call in show all I ask is Otis isn't the host.  Host and Dudley are the worst part of Chuck's show.  I usually turn it off when they are start jabbering, sort of like when I watch 5 News and ESully comes on to do sports.  I want more Irwin during the week.!

AFWarrior83

They are probably scared to hear what some of you guys say! ::)
Hogville member since 2005.

Flatfoot

June 30, 2005, 08:48:04 am #26 Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 09:13:43 am by flatfoot304
Hoggysoprano would have both Nutt and Heath crying like a baby after he talked with them.  Even if they did have a call in show their calls would be screened so tight that nothing critical would ever be said.  Polyanna Schaffer would probably be the host and you know he is never going to say anything bad about the U of A.  Because of the Razorbacks being the only show in state all of the media knows if you criticize the program it will be hard to get access to any Hog story.   
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

hogtusk

JMO, but I hope they don't have call in shows,most of the people that call in have good ideas but just don't express it well.( Kind of like when I post to message boards) Leave the questions to professionals it's more intertaining.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

hogsanity

Having heard some of the other coaches callin shows, we really are not missing anything.

All coaches all in shows have two basic kind of calls

1.  Coach, dont' you think that if we had just covered that 1 fumble we would have won yesterday?  You are doing a great job, Ill take the answer on the air.

or

2.  Coach, I dont understand why you and this team cant just get it together, i mean it seems like a 5 yr old could coach this bunch to atleast 9 wins, so what is the deal.  Let me here your answer so I can try to sound important with my reply from the safety of my own double wide.

Call in shows, like message boards bring out the 2 extremes.  One is the fans who live and die with the team, but everytime the die they come back for more.  The other are the ones who think they are smarter than every other living being, and who truly believe in their own minds that they could do better than the current coach.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LSUFan

Quote from: junkyardhog on June 29, 2005, 11:59:45 pm
Quote from: Hoggysoprano on June 29, 2005, 10:42:36 pm

Was it sponsored by Anheuser Busch?

Lord, I apoligize. Starving pygmies, kids in Africa etc.

ROFLMAO!

mikeirwin

I don't remember any radio call in shows involving the coaches. Lou may have had one. Frank, Lou and Kenny took questions on their TV shows but the shows were taped so the questions were selected and not spontaneous.
Nolan went on KARN right after he was hired. There was no regular Nolan show. I think he was on another guy's show. He stopped after that first bad season.
I'm sure Nutt and Heath would probably avoid such a show if they were asked to do one but the real reason why is not so much a fear of criticism but the simple fact that there's no money in it.
Chuck does okay with his show and so does Rainwater but coaches who make what Nutt and Heath pull down wouldn't waste their time for an extra 20 or 30 thousand bucks a year.
If I told you what Bo and I get for doing Press Row you'd laugh. We mainly do it for fun.
Nutt and Heath are not going to do a show for fun. Even though they'd get a lot more than we do it would still be peanuts to them.

WilsonHog

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 30, 2005, 09:53:36 am
I don't remember any radio call in shows involving the coaches. Lou may have had one. Frank, Lou and Kenny took questions on their TV shows but the shows were taped so the questions were selected and not spontaneous.
Nolan went on KARN right after he was hired. There was no regular Nolan show. I think he was on another guy's show. He stopped after that first bad season.
I'm sure Nutt and Heath would probably avoid such a show if they were asked to do one but the real reason why is not so much a fear of criticism but the simple fact that there's no money in it.
Chuck does okay with his show and so does Rainwater but coaches who make what Nutt and Heath pull down wouldn't waste their time for an extra 20 or 30 thousand bucks a year.
If I told you what Bo and I get for doing Press Row you'd laugh. We mainly do it for fun.
Nutt and Heath are not going to do a show for fun. Even though they'd get a lot more than we do it would still be peanuts to them.

Mike, that's why I asked. I didn't remember any of our coaches ever doing a live call-in show, and I figured you would know if they had.

I'm sure that money plays a part in it, especially when a coach considers all of the aggravation that has to go into it right now. A call-in show 20 or 30 years ago would have been a completely different animal than what it would be today.  Call-in shows today are all about who can advance his or her point the loudest or most obnoxiously; it becomes a game of one-upsmanship between the caller and the host and /or guest.  Much more negativity today than would have been present 20 or 30 years ago.

JJHog

Because every other idiot in Arkansas would mispronounce the word
"mediocrity"
" Think Right, Do Right"

JJHog

The earliest call in show I remember was in the early 80's and it was Rick Schaefer and "Sportstalk" on KKEG
" Think Right, Do Right"

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopHog on June 30, 2005, 11:18:24 am
WilsonHog made some good points about call in shows. I often call in with very specific questions (and to promote Hogville...cause hSv orders me to do so! :D). But too many of the callers are just babbling fonts of fuming funk over some obscure and meaningless point of reference.

Until he was fired, David Cutcliff had a coaches call in show that broadcasted out of a popular bar right in the square in Oxford, Mississippi - talk about making yourself acessible! Of course, this would put Coach Nutt out on a wire, but I think it would make him much more hones and much more respected by fans across the state for being so accessible. Walking into the stadium and quickly 'glad handing' with a few dozen fans as you quickly pass by does not make a coach accessible or personable whatsoever.

Having a call in show doesnt mean you are accesible or personable.  It means you are being paid to sit and listen to people try to sound like they know what they are talking about.  When, in reality, they just want to hear themselves talk. 

Just listen to DTS or Sportsrap.  I get to hear the first hour of DTS and maybe the first 30 minutes of Chuck.  Listen to how most of the calls start:  " Caller you are on DTS, ' Yea Randy, I THINK.......................'  "  And then its 5 minutes of rambling, babbling, stumbling for words and at the end you realize you can never have that 5 minutes back. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: hogtusk on June 30, 2005, 08:52:24 am
JMO, but I hope they don't have call in shows,most of the people that call in have good ideas but just don't express it well.( Kind of like when I post to message boards) Leave the questions to professionals it's more intertaining.

Yeah, thankfully we have all of those "professionals" like Randy Rainwater, Chuck Barrett, Craig O'Neil, Rick (bootlicker) Schaefer, Ray Tucker ect..   ::) 

hogsanity

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on June 30, 2005, 12:03:32 pm
Quote from: hogtusk on June 30, 2005, 08:52:24 am

Yeah, thankfully we have all of those "professionals" like Randy Rainwater, Chuck Barrett, Craig O'Neil, Rick (bootlicker) Schaefer, Ray Tucker ect..   ::) 

At least Chuck will challenge people when they start spouting unsubstantiated garbage. 

I cant wait though til next week on DTS.  After the 4th is sually when the talk about Southern Ark Mulerider football starts, and the never ending reminder that Cabot really loves to grind it out on the ground every friday night.  I  just love it when some guy calls in and says " What do you think about tonights game between Hartford and Glen Rose" or some other 2 schools that have not won a game in like 5 years.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 30, 2005, 09:53:36 am

So I guess our coaches are paid so much more than all of the other coaches in the SEC, that they don't need the extra jack as much as all of the other dumbasses coaching at the other schools.  That makes a lot of sense.  The other coaches don't do or not do it because of the money.  I'm sure that not all of them that do these shows do it because they REALLY want to or because the money is just to good to pass up.  They do it because they are expected to do it. 

junkyardhog

hogsanity

junkyardhog

mikeirwin

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on June 30, 2005, 12:10:24 pm
So I guess our coaches are paid so much more than all of the other coaches in the SEC, that they don't need the extra jack as much as all of the other dumbasses coaching at the other schools.
It's not that they get paid more to coach, it's that they'd probably make a lot less by doing such a show in this state. If somebody told Heath and Nutt they could bring in $100,000 per year doing a weekly call in show they'd probably do it. But such a show could not generate to income to pay them anything like that much. If they did one 5 days
a week maybe. Most coaches wouldn't take the time to do a daily show.
You guys know that Van Horn wouldn't mind talking directly to the fans. So why doesn't he have a show ? Because it wouldn't pay jack.

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: mikeirwin on June 30, 2005, 12:33:26 pm
So I guess our coaches are paid so much more than all of the other coaches in the SEC, that they don't need the extra jack as much as all of the other dumbasses coaching at the other schools.
It's not that they get paid more to coach, it's that they'd probably make a lot less by doing such a show in this state. If somebody told Heath and Nutt they could bring in $100,000 per year doing a weekly call in show they'd probably do it. But such a show could not generate to income to pay them anything like that much. If they did one 5 days
You guys know that Van Horn wouldn't mind talking directly to the fans. So why doesn't he have a show ? Because it wouldn't pay jack.

I'm sorry Mike, but I doubt that David Cutcliff was paid a whole bunch of money in Mississippi to do his call-in show as was referenced in an earlier post.  I would be interested to find out how much these other coaches are making before we just assume that there isn't enough money in it for the coaches and that's the reason they don't do it.  Sounds just like another excuse to give these guys a free pass.

GorillaJMonsoon

June 30, 2005, 12:47:51 pm #43 Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 08:52:18 pm by GorillaJMonsoon

mikeirwin

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on June 30, 2005, 12:41:59 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on June 30, 2005, 12:33:26 pm

I'm sorry Mike, but I doubt that David Cutcliff was paid a whole bunch of money in Mississippi to do his call-in show as was referenced in an earlier post. I would be interested to find out how much these other coaches are making before we just assume that there isn't enough money in it for the coaches and that's the reason they don't do it. Sounds just like another excuse to give these guys a free pass.
I agree. Cutcliff probably didn't get much either since Mississippi is a small state and the economy there is not much. So he was a good guy. Lived up to his responsibility and made himself available to the fans. He also got himself fired. I thought he did a good job considering the situation he was in. But he gets fired and they hire a guy with no head coaching experience. What good did it do him to make himself available to the fans ?
To me something like a call in show should be specified in your contract. If the school thinks it's important they should make it a requirement and figure out a way to pay for it. The point is don't jump Nutt or Heath for not doing it. If it's really something most fans want some smart radio guy would pitch the idea and make them an offer they can't refuse. Only that's not going to happen because nobody (the coach, the radio stations) would make enough money to make the show worth it.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: GorillaJMonsoon on June 30, 2005, 12:47:51 pm
Maybe they don't want to listen to a bunch of "know it all" armchair coaches who only second guess things after the fact. I know I get sick of hearing it.

Dang it!

You read my mind and beat me to it.

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

WilsonHog

I wonder why JFB hasn't demanded that doing a call-in show be placed in the contracts of the football and basketball coaches at UA?  Is it just the money, or is it also that he sees no benefit for the program in having a show?  

hawkeyefan17

I posted this topic a few months ago and I got some of the same responses that are in this thread. Scott Faldon made a good point that where would you fit coaches shows with Drive Time Sports and Chuck Barrett taking up most of the evening time.

I assumed when I moved here that the coaches had shows and I was taken aback when I couldn't ever find one on the radio for either Heath or Nutt. I think it is ridiculous that the coaches don't have shows especially since the Uinversity of Arkansas for all  intensive purposes has a monopoly in this state. Coaches shows would be a good way for fans in the far reaches of the state to stay connected with the basketball and football programs.

I have fond memories about listening to the Hayden Fry and Tom Davis shows. Hayden always told great stories and both Fry and Davis were incredible gracious towards me when I called in. I remember back in 1999 when Kirk Ferentz took over at Iowa. He went 1-10 and got barbecued on a regular basis from callers across the country. He answered every question and took the heat and told us things would get turned around. Heath and Nutt should do the same, field questions from all fans and give honest answers. I also have found that coaches shows are a good way to find out where players of the past are and what they are doing. I have noticed that Nutt does appear on Drive Time Sports from time to time and takes questions but I don't see any reasons why the football coach and basketball coach in this state shouldn't have a radio show.

Of course Iowa is different from Arkansas in that the Hawkeye coaches shows are brodcast out of Des Moines on WHO 1040 AM which can be picked up across the country at night so Kirk Ferentz and Steve Alford not only get calls from inside Iowa but they take questions from people listening to WHO all over the country so it is essentail to have radio shows at Iowa.

If Nutt and Heath did have radio shows I doubt that finding affiliates to carry the shows would be a problem.

Lando Calrissian

I don't see how a call-in show would benefit anybody...be they the coaches OR the fans.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

idochog

Neither coach needs a call in show,

They need to FREAKING WIN and that will take care of the problem.

Of course if we were winning, the cheerleading that goes on w/ Barrett, Rainwater, Kirk and others would be more tolerable.  Kinda sickening in year 8 of HDN hearing the cheerleading by the media before the beginning of another mediocre season.
I love Jesus!