Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For Credible Assessment, Would it Matter if we were 18-0?

Started by WilsonHog, January 22, 2008, 08:13:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

If we were 18-0 would that signal that Pel was the second coming of Coach K or Bill Self?

It's 18 games.

For a glaringly appropriate example, Houston Nutt's first Razorback team went 6-2 in the SEC and finished in the Top 20...and we had to wait eight more years to experience that type of success again. Was 1998 a predictor of how great the next nine years would be? Clearly not.

Nolan Richardson's first Razorback team went 12-16; anyone who sat through games that year would have been a darned fool to predict that we would have one of the finest college basketball programs in the country from 1988 through 1996. I was a law student at UA during his first year, and the games were so putrid that I took law books to read while I was waiting for something halfway decent to cheer for.

18 games.

You know how you truly judge a coach? Wait until he coaches 75 to 100 games. Wait until you see what he does with his own players, recruited and taught to play his style of ball. That seems to be more rational and logical to me.   

The alternative is to do what some of us are, start looking for a place to buy a bullet and rent a gun after we lose a couple of games. Geez, most Hog fans would have eaten their own sh*t last year to get Billy Gillespie, and his Wildcats are 1-2 in the SEC and 7-9 overall. At Kentucky, the mecca of college basketball. Is that suppose to mean Billy Clyde can't coach, that Kentucky made a bad hire?

Stan Heath coached 153 games and five seasons at Arkansas before he was shown the door. I don't know at this juncture if Pel will be the next Nolan Richardson or the next Stan Heath, and neither do you.

That's the point. For everything there is a season, and now is the time for patience and support.

tophawg19

during nolan's first year i was ready for him to be fired . hell that offense made no sense and wouldn't work . hmm. i guess it did till everyone caught up to him.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hawgsav1

Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

cthog99

thank you, i made that comparison to nutt's 1st season and said you can't judge some1 by their first season and people were saying you can't judge 2 sports. the 1st season as a coach is the same no matter what sport you are in