Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All this team needs is a good team leader. . . But who?

Started by g.lynn, January 22, 2008, 04:53:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

g.lynn

This year, it needs to be one of the Seniors.
Mr Ervin - No.  Over-rated.  Mr dribble, dribble, then dribble some more, and take-the-air out of the ball while everyon else stands flat-footed.
Mr Hill - No.  Doesn't leadership require toughness?
Mr Hunter - No.  Hasn't he been here long enough to retire?
Mr Townes - No.  Mr Automatic-Shot-Everytime-He-Touches-Ball.
Mr Thomas - No.  One of our better insides, but far from being all SEC type.  Uh, I don't think so.
Mr Weems - Mr Weems, it's up to you buddy. 
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

CurlyTail

Bingo. We have no leaders. And being a leader isn't something that you learn or that you are taught and start doing overnight. It might sound cheesy, but a true leader is born that way. And a true leader certainly doesn't appear out of nowhere in the middle of a season only when it becomes apparent that his team is badly in need of one.

I hate to say it, but if you're expecting one of these lazy-ass seniors that already have one foot out the door to all of the sudden step up and start leading by example, it's just not going to happen. They haven't done it the last 4 years; why would they start now? They just don't care.

And FWIW, if you absolutely had to pick one of our seniors to be your leader, Sonny Weems would be one of the worst choices. He has possibly the worst work ethic of anyone on the entire team.

arkjay19

It should be Thomas because in the past he has shown great energy and decision making.  This season, he lacks both.  Agreed, it's up to Weems to keep pushing the Hogs.  But Beverley is the most talented player overall and has to start playing better for this team to succeed.

3pigsinafountain

January 22, 2008, 08:22:15 pm #3 Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:25:09 pm by 3pigsinafountain
Last year whenever i tuned into the post mortum on a game i could count on hearing 2 things.  First someone could always be counted on to say...." They just seemed to want it more than we did", and second Gary Ervin would say........."I am a leader on this team and as a leader i can't be __________ like i just did".  This season is already better because i have only had to endure the first one, one time, and the second not at all.

This teams problem is the same as it has been for the last 10 years, mostly decent supporting players with no one to support.

HogMavFan

Patrick Beverley...move him to point, give him the green light to shoot or pass, and let it roll. There are no leaders in that senior class, especially Gary Ervin.

tophawg19

true the leader should start with the point guard . it's his job to get the team going . oh to have another lee mayberry .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

g.lynn

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

chog68

Quote from: HogMavFan on January 22, 2008, 09:13:15 pm
Patrick Beverley...move him to point, give him the green light to shoot or pass, and let it roll. There are no leaders in that senior class, especially Gary Ervin.
That just might be the best bet right there. SEC newcomer of the year last season should be able to handle the load. Question is...How much of his recent troubles are attributed to 1) The dislocated jaw?and 2) All that summer ball he played?

This leadership role MOST of the time has to come from the PG position. Example...Corliss was obviously the "marquee player" on the 94 NC and 95 runner up team, but it was PG Corey Beck who was the floor general, directed the offense, and was the glue that made that team what it was.

Anyone else having trouble with the spell check here???