Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to Play the Young Guys, Record be darned

Started by WilsonHog, January 20, 2008, 02:41:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

We would have been a whole lot better off keeping Heath one more year so he could ride it out with these seniors.

I heard someone say last week that these were the most selfish kids Pel had ever been around. Perhaps I heard right.

I suspect that Pel is pretty good at coaching the type of kids who would run through a brick wall for him if that is what he commanded. By all accounts that is the type of player he was. We seem to have very few of those type of players.

When it comes to coaching this cailbre of athletes I remember something John Thompson said one time. He loved Bo Mosley, and he couldn't stand Batman Carroll and Lawrence Richardson. Why? Because Mosely knew he wasn't that good and he had to do exactly what Thompson said in order to play. Batman and Richardson were like, "F*ck it. I'm so talented I can do whatever the hell I want to and I'm still gonna play."

That's what I think of every time I hear Pel talk about how we have to do the little things to win and our players aren't doing them.

I agree it's time to give Britt, Cox, Patsatsia, and Rakestraw all the minutes they can stand. At this point if I was Pel I would find some combination of kids who would do exactly what I told them to do when I told them to do it with no questions asked.         

Hoggy1

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 20, 2008, 02:41:52 pm
We would have been a whole lot better off keeping Heath one more year so he could ride it out with these seniors.

I heard someone say last week that these were the most selfish kids Pel had ever been around. Perhaps I heard right.

I suspect that Pel is pretty good at coaching the type of kids who would run through a brick wall for him if that is what he commanded. By all accounts that is the type of player he was. We seem to have very few of those type of players.

When it comes to coaching this cailbre of athletes I remember something John Thompson said one time. He loved Bo Mosley, and he couldn't stand Batman Carroll and Lawrence Richardson. Why? Because Mosely knew he wasn't that good and he had to do exactly what Thompson said in order to play. Batman and Richardson were like, "F*ck it. I'm so talented I can do whatever the hell I want to and I'm still gonna play."

That's what I think of every time I hear Pel talk about how we have to do the little things to win and our players aren't doing them.

I agree it's time to give Britt, Cox, Patsatsia, and Rakestraw all the minutes they can stand. At this point if I was Pel I would find some combination of kids who would do exactly what I told them to do when I told them to do it with no questions asked.         

i had the same intuition, I think Cox and Rake would probably give 110% every second on the floor

I say keep Sanchez away though, he is big man of tommorow....and I wouldn't want him to be polluted by Hill or Townes
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

dfowl003

I agree. I posted the other day that the team wasnt giving it their 'all', because if they were they would concentrate in practice, get better and stop making the same mistakes that have plagued them from day one.  Im ready to see the young ones that will and can be coached as well. 

HawgAdvocate

January 20, 2008, 02:48:39 pm #3 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:51:40 pm by HawgAdvocate

Tempting, but I'd rather play the kids we have (while limiting Ervin and Hill's minutes) just to hope to salvage the season, instead of cashing it in and playing 3 guys who won't be seeing as many minutes next year when Fortson, Payne, and Beverley man the perimeter. If we knew Rakestraw, Patsatsia, and Britt were the future of the Hogs backcourt, I'd be for playing them max minutes. But they more than likely will be career backups based on their skill sets coming into college.

Perhaps let PB run the point so Welsh can expand his game. Having PB run the point would let those 3 freshman play more minutes.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

yraciv

I agree with everything except for Cox.  He is still a walk on, and in no way will he ever get more then 8 minutes/game.  Every scholarship player has the chance to mold into a starter, so play the others.

LRCentralTiger

You are right on the money with your points.  These kids are caught up in themselves and it may take Pel two years to get his players in here to get it right.  I think he needs two recruiting classes.

Boarcephus

I still want to win.  I don't feel our problem is with the big men but our season is falling apart in the laps of Ervin and Welsh.  I think we'd do well with Beverly at the point and fill in the SG spot with Britt, Rakestraw, Patsatsia, Cox, or somebody from the intramural league.   I've seen all of Erivin and Welsh I can stand.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 20, 2008, 08:35:38 pm
I still want to win.  I don't feel our problem is with the big men but our season is falling apart in the laps of Ervin and Welsh.  I think we'd do well with Beverly at the point and fill in the SG spot with Britt, Rakestraw, Patsatsia, Cox, or somebody from the intramural league.   I've seen all of Erivin and Welsh I can stand.

You still want to win, fine.  Do you actually think the current group of seniors is going to get it done?  Ervin is nothing but a playground player who likes to drive in the trees and throw up crap.  He cant play in a set offense. 

Townes is so soft it is amazing.  He pouts if he goes 2 minutes without getting a shot, oes not like to bang for boards, and seems to get really mad if Thomas shoots.

Weems - talented, but seems to sense that no one around him really cares. 

Thomas - huge heart, but with no big man to draw the d he is facing more and more double teams.

Hunter - well, whats the point.

Hill - was not really impressive on offense in HS, so why is anyone shocked at his lack of offense in college.

I agree with Wilson, play the guys who will be here next year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

don't forget to play washington a ton of minutes
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Tomhog™

I wish he'd at least start the underclassmen just to send a message to the seniors.  We don't have the depth to keep 6 seniors on the bench.  We'd have to go back to a half-court offense that slows it down every possession. 

Anything you say after "we should have kept Heath" is hard to take serious.

spahoopsfan

I remember Nolan saying something like if we are going to lose I want to lose with the young players not the seniors.  I agree.  If we can't beat South Carolina at home and we don't hit a 3 pointer until the game has been decided then I say play the future.  Britt, Pots, Washington and Rakestraw need minutes.  I agree that the new freshmen coming in next year will probably play over Pots, and Rakestraw in particular, however, we need these guys and we don't need all six of the new guys coming in next year plus Pots and Rakestraw having no experience.  Pots or Rakestraw need to be able to give Payne or the shooting guard a break.  The coach needs to find out this year if either of those two will be able to contribute, we can't afford to wait unitl next year.  Plus Washington needs to have a lot of Thomas' minutes.  Period.

forrest city joe

I agee with wison, it's time for a change. these seniors have not gotten any better in 4 years. they all have has their chances. i think they are trying. they are just not very good.but even bad players should have improved over that time. these guys have not.IT'S TIME! i hope Pel will do it.

Niels Boar

When Fran Francilla was running down the talent in Puerto Rico, I knew that probably meant Pel was less than enthralled with what he inherited.

Conway Cool Daddy

Time to start playing Britt and let Ervin watch from the bench.

JMHO

jltackel

Quote from: donewithdale on January 20, 2008, 10:41:27 pm
I get the frustration with the Sr's and the desire to punish them by basically ending most of their careers now.  I understand the idea of playing for the future too.  But frankly, the only underclassmen who are going to make any real impact on this program are Pbev, Wash and maybe Britt on the defensive end.  Its not going to help the program by playing the other guys now. 

And for the record, I don't care what Pel does with this team.  I care he is out trying to find that star who wants to be the one who revives our program. 

But the other guys ( seniors ) aren't helping the program what do you have to lose ? except a game that's happening now. set the seniors ass on the bench for two or three games, if that dosan't work keep playing the future. can't hurt. I can suffer through freshmen and soph's losing better than a bunch of seniors losing and the embearasment

Ironhawg

The last two games Pel and PBev have had pretty heated exchanges on the sideline during the game.  Anybody have any idea what is going on there?

Razorod

Quote from: Ironhawg on January 21, 2008, 08:51:34 pm
The last two games Pel and PBev have had pretty heated exchanges on the sideline during the game.  Anybody have any idea what is going on there?
I have wondered several times this season if Bev is one of those players who doesn't "buy in" to Pel. Just doesn't seem like the same player as last year. But other things are going on as well in his life.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hoggy1

Quote from: Ironhawg on January 21, 2008, 08:51:34 pm

Bev is probably pretty frustrated I would think....
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Razorod

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on January 21, 2008, 08:57:18 pm
Bev is probably pretty frustrated I would think....
What scares me is that I remember Byron Irvin transferring to Mizzou AFTER playing a season for Nolan. I hope Bev doesn't do something similar. PBev transferring and Washington declaring for draft would make for yet another long season next year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Modsquad24

Bev and Wash will both be here next year bank on it

BleednRed87

Not only have most of these players not gotten better, they have gotten WORSE! Hill, Townes,Ervin Beverly, and Weems have all declined since they arrived. I don't know what to do but I'm sick of watching Hill and Ervin play. They make me want to cut off the tv everytime they come on

Knot2brite

I understand the idea behind wanting to play the younger guys SOME minutes but to play them the majority of the minutes is insane. These six seniors have won over 70 ballgames in their careers and they are not that talented. Granted they can beat the SW Iowa school for the parapalegics but they have also beaten some very talented teams. They are with a new coach, they are being disciplined, they are being pushed harder than ever before and they are not comfortable with it. They will probably never be comfortable with it but they can still contribute and win some games to get us to the dance. I have a funny feeling Pel knows what he has and is making chicken soup out of chicken crap.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Doggtown31LCC

L. Courtney Click
Winthrop Wolves #1
Superman wears Joe Adams pajamas

Bama Hog™

Agree Wilson hog. We have nothing to lose so let's get started on a better future.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

heathtits

Wilsonhog, you're usually spot on with your thoughts but I have to completely disagree with you. WERE 2-2 in SEC, we still have 12 games to go, yes 12 games. We could EASILY finish with a winning record in the SEC and if not that at least break even.

We're 4 games into the SEC and you're calling the season over? Is this really WilsonHog because it sounds like a women pumped way to full of estrogen. We all need to chill out, analyze each game and stop trying to come up with schemes for the coach. He is the coach and he will do what he thinks is right, regardless of what any of us think.

But in simpler terms, no you do not go with Cox and Britt. Not to bag on Cox but I've been around the HPER gym quite a bit when he's played and as of right now, he is not SEC caliber. Yes, he's got some skill and fundamentals but like so many others, he's got "the white man's disease".

Just let the guys go, if we're 2-8 in the SEC after the next 6 games, maybe then will I say F-it. But at 2-2 there's TONS of time to get things right.

wholehog92

I agree with your thoughts Wilson.  I may not take it to the degree you do.  I don't have alot of issue with the big men, but guards, yeah bring in the young guys and build for the future.  If you don't think they will play due to incoming talent, look at as building depth for rest.  These seniors are not showing the young guys the pride in the program type of fight and desire I want to see in the future.  I would like to see Pel relay the same message.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

reddogjcss

If the seniors don't want to put out consistently than start developing the young guns. Might as well gain something out of this season.