Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr. John Pelphrey... READ

Started by bassman1994, January 19, 2008, 09:29:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bassman1994

I think you're the best thing to happen to Arkansas Basketball in the last 10 + years, but this has got to stop. You have shooters on your team, but you don't know how to bring them from off the bench.  You know how to get your guys to pass inside, but you can't get them to look outside even lONCE for an open shot.  Mr. Pelphrey, you're reputation at Arkansas is on the line with a road game at LSU in a week, followed by MSU (no matter how fair/unfair).  At least, you have to say, "it's either my players don't have basketball IQ and I can't wait for Mr. Clarke to get her," or "I have a serious coaching problem."  Mr. Pelphrey, I simply ask you, WTH is going on?!?!?!?!  In your press conferences, please addresss the problems, not make excuses.  BTW, I back you coach, just c'mon, it's all starting to seem so familiar, even with your excitement and all.  It's still the same old (someone please finish this sentence).....

bassman1994

sorry for the mispellings, I'm ticked though, my bad....

Galynapper

bassman1994

"crap" works, definitely... just a little more emphasis I think, but definitely good

bd93

Quote from: bassman1994 on January 19, 2008, 09:29:40 pm
I think you're the best thing to happen to Arkansas Basketball in the last 10 + years, but this has got to stop. You have shooters on your team, but you don't know how to bring them from off the bench.  You know how to get your guys to pass inside, but you can't get them to look outside even lONCE for an open shot.  Mr. Pelphrey, you're reputation at Arkansas is on the line with a road game at LSU in a week, followed by MSU (no matter how fair/unfair).  At least, you have to say, "it's either my players don't have basketball IQ and I can't wait for Mr. Clarke to get her," or "I have a serious coaching problem."  Mr. Pelphrey, I simply ask you, WTH is going on?!?!?!?!  In your press conferences, please addresss the problems, not make excuses.  BTW, I back you coach, just c'mon, it's all starting to seem so familiar, even with your excitement and all.  It's still the same old (someone please finish this sentence).....

Well our shooters went 1-10 or something like that tonight.  So by those numbers our shooters and really lighting it up are they?

bassman1994

Rakestraw, Europ Po NEVER see playing time and they would make more than Beverley and Welsh (0).  Clear the bench, ya know.  What else do you have to lose at this point?  You have to give those guys a chance to shoot because they suck otherwise.... obviously right now.

bassman1994

No sense of basketball IQ, we're more like "Duh..."

Hums

What shooters are you talking about? The ones that were mentioned are good horse players, but you obviously have not watched them this year. The can't play D and struggle getting your shot off, last time I looked at the schedule we were not playing Rogers, Bentonville or Springdale High.

3kgthog

You bet we've got shooters. We just don't have any makers.

Newcoachplease

Throw it inside to who, steven hill LOLOLOLOL, hilarious, i dont want to see him get blocked again by throwing up some fru fru layup instead of taking it strong to the hole

hawgsav1

how is it getting old?  He's only been doing this for half a season.  Come on, give it a rest...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Hog are ya

I understand your frustration.  Don't you think Pel is much more frustrated than us?  I live on the west coast and haven't gotten to watch as much as you cats in the south, so my thoughts are what they are.  I did make a comment on here after the Providence game that it could be a tough year for coach.  I knew this bunch was not 'made' for his system and it is worse than I thought. 

I felt early on and more so now, that he may have to 'cater' his system to the talent on hand.  And ironically, a couple of these 'shooters' on the bench spoken of in the thread are freshmen that don't 'fit' his high-speed system.  With changes in philosophy, they might could help.  Changes equating to possibly a Big 10 style which fit our seniors as well.   

Or, maybe the light will come on for all of them within his system and we'll make a run this year.  I do think he'll be a great coach with his guys in here and it will be an interesting dynamic to see how this year plays out and the choices he makes.

Jeffcphog

January 20, 2008, 10:03:28 am #12 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 10:05:40 am by Jeffcphog
Quote from: Newcoachplease on January 20, 2008, 12:44:11 am
Throw it inside to who, steven hill LOLOLOLOL, hilarious, i dont want to see him get blocked again by throwing up some fru fru layup instead of taking it strong to the hole

Last night they actually tried to take it inside.  Every time they did the shot would get blocked.  We have no big man advantage.  We have absolutely no advantage anywhere on the freaking court.

gettinpiggywithit

Quote from: bassman1994 on January 19, 2008, 09:36:13 pm
Rakestraw, Europ Po NEVER see playing time and they would make more than Beverley and Welsh (0).  Clear the bench, ya know.  What else do you have to lose at this point?  You have to give those guys a chance to shoot because they suck otherwise.... obviously right now.

Did you really say what do you have to lose at THIS POINT? I didn't realize the season was over already. As far as I am concerned, we still have a decent shot at post season play.
Let those who do, do. Let those who spew, spew.

ColonelNutt

I think you're the best thing to happen to Arkansas Basketball in the last 10 + years,

Wow, talk about Arkansas fans' low expectations. 

Bigfoot

Just give Coach Pelphrey a chance to get his style of players in here! His first class is going to be great! Just be patient for crying outloud! These players he is coaching right now were recruited by Stan Heath, which means they where recruited for a completely different style of basketball. Its very difficult to change the mindset of kids that have been taught something entirely different for the past three years. Coach Pelphrey will get the job done in the near future,just be patient with this! WPS!!  :razorback:

ColonelNutt

Quote from: bigfoot on January 20, 2008, 11:53:26 am
Just give Coach Pelphrey a chance to get his style of players in here! His first class is going to be great! Just be patient for crying outloud! These players he is coaching right now were recruited by Stan Heath, which means they where recruited for a completely different style of basketball. Its very difficult to change the mindset of kids that have been taught something entirely different for the past three years. Coach Pelphrey will get the job done in the near future,just be patient with this! WPS!!  :razorback:

So does that mean we should give Houston Nutt more credit for going 9-3 with Danny Ford's players and being a Stoernover away from playing for the NC game?

alohawg

I support coach Pel 100%, his current job of trying to make lemon aid out of this group of lemons is, let's face it, impossible. As hard as it is right now, we just have to let the man do his thing and in time with his players  we will know what we have for a coach. This group of upper classmen are just not very talented evidently and are not going to change anytime soon, so take a deep breathe, don't get your hopes up and take any win as a bonus this year.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

prairiehogcompanion

Quote from: ColonelNutt on January 20, 2008, 11:38:52 am
Wow, talk about Arkansas fans' low expectations. 

For my money, Nolan Richardson is the best thing to happen to Arkansas basketball in the last 10 years.

And of course, the former Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight got rid him him.

hogginbama

I suppose a lot of you nay sayers don't see that some of the players seem to be going through the motions. Beverly seems to be looking to pass and not take the open shot, the inside "towers" that we have are consistently stripped by smaller players, and you can't overlook the ** point guard play that we have. I still don't understand why our "towers" can't catch the ball high, keep it high and take it to the hole, it seems as if they want to dribble, do a couple of body/head fakes, and then have it stripped. It will take a good 3 years to turn around the non-chalant mentality that has been established, so we must all be patient and ride out the storm.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

pfrg999

Quote from: ColonelNutt on January 20, 2008, 02:19:17 pm
So does that mean we should give Houston Nutt more credit for going 9-3 with Danny Ford's players and being a Stoernover away from playing for the NC game?

Football 85 players..... BB 14 players... little less room to move.... I am sure you would like to give TCHWF more credit... But alas you cannot
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Kidda23

Hey bassman1994 do you still want Billy G?

ac360

Thank Stan Heath for this. It's the calibar of players Pel's working with

freethrow

Quote from: bassman1994 on January 19, 2008, 09:36:13 pm

Most of the bench would be hard pressed to be other than ordinary on a D-II team.

ccroom

Hey bassman1994

Stop the whining and moaning and give the man a chance.

I like Pelphrey because he has tons of passion for the razorbacks and the fans. STFU

ColonelNutt

January 21, 2008, 05:41:33 pm #25 Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:43:36 pm by ColonelNutt
Quote from: ccroom on January 21, 2008, 05:38:58 pm
Hey bassman1994

Stop the whining and moaning and give the man a chance.

I like Pelphrey because he has tons of passion for the razorbacks and the fans. STFU

I have passion for the razorbacks and the fans too, can I get $500k a year to look like a young Rick Schaeffer with attitude on the sidelines?

Sign me up yesterday!

Throwback1

Sometimes I read enough to understand why people outside Arkansas talk about many of the University's fans and wonder why anybody would come here to coach....just unfriggin'believeable.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

zebra

We do not have shooters, that is one of the main problems, Beverly can shoot(hasn't much this year), Weems(has been lately, hot and cold), that is it.  Rakestraw may be able to stand and shoot, but he can't get his shot off in a D1 game, nor guard anyone on the outside.

This is why most every team we play, should, and many have played ZONE.  Pack it in and let us throw it up.

elksnort

No offense to the young men riding the pine for the Hogs. If they can not contribute right now, then why were they recruited? Is there some pressure to recruit NWA kids?

Please don't tell me anything about their being freshmen. If Rakestraw and Pasatsia can not get their own shot off, then why are they there on scholarship?

PeytonManningSUCKS

Dear Bassman,

Ok, consider it done...  Alot of people don't realize I surf hogville all the time looking for advice.  All you have to do is address a post to me and I'll be here to answer it.  Anyone else have any other questions??  Just to get ahead of the game... I only start Steven Hill cause of the tip off... any other questions??

Sincerely,
John Pelphry

GRIMMHOG

Quote from: ColonelNutt on January 21, 2008, 05:41:33 pm
I have passion for the razorbacks and the fans too, can I get $500k a year to look like a young Rick Schaeffer with attitude on the sidelines?

Sign me up yesterday!
You have got to be the biggest jackass I've seen since I read your last post.
Embrace the Pain

reddogjcss

Nolan could not get this bunch of slackers to play ball. Pel is the only thing we have and I'm damn glad.