Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

coach P to tough

Started by slopinhogs, November 20, 2007, 03:22:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slopinhogs

guys are griping about all the work they do. if they have time to gripe they aren't working hards enought GO COACH PEL
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Breems

Well if my team had 32 turnovers in 1 game i wouldn't be getting them lollipops or sitting on the beach either.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

WMHawgfan

he isn't too hard. they have had it too easy for too long. They were babied under Stan. There is a fine line though. You want to bust their tails for not taking care of the ball but you don't want to push them to the point they play scared.

dotnet

hawaiianhogster

Make men of those little boys Pel.

leavenworth1

If that's true, please graduate and let Pel get some actual dedicated players on his roster. 

jrparrish

im pretty sure i haven't seen them played scared yet....that would be an improvement from the providence game.

Fort Swine

They could bring out the treadmill like OSU.  For every TO, they have to run a minute on the treadmill at G. Iba.  However, it hasn't done much good.  1-2 in Maui and got blown out the last two. 
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

TorsinAHog

Apparently he inherited a team that lacked and didnt have what it took to be in shape. You just cant blow as many leads as they did.  I really wonder if these seniors have it in them to make a run.  Townes appears to have stepped it up though.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

hillhog

Just be tough but fair. This is time to step up and get with it. If they don't want to do what coach Pel  demands, be satisfied to sit on the bench and let someone else get the playing time. I imagine most of the guys on the team have a desire to play at the next level. That demands a strong work ethic. Get with the program guys. Show what you are made of. Go Hogs,k lets see you make a showing this year. We know you can do it/"

jgphillips3

I am sick of the whiny-baby attitude of the players.  If they are complaining, drop your scholarship and go somewhere that isn't committed to winning.  I don't care if you are Patrick Beverly or the last guy off the bench, if you want to be a winner, you have to WORK harder than the other guy.  WORK ethic has to be fundamental to you.  I hope he does break them.  They need to be broken in order to truly become great. 

All that said, yes, you can work a player too hard, but given the weakness of this team the past several years, I will give Pel wide latitude in discovering that limit and probing it.  I still remember Nolan's players talking about how much harder practice was than a game - and it showed.  We were an elite program with LESS NBA talent than almost any other elite program we played against. 

Go coach Pel and Go Hogs!

pastorhog

The guys are not whinning they are saying how tough its been. I was with them in Puerto Rico and as tough as it was they have stepped up, you see the stat sheet but I wonder if some you watch the games or just the highlights on the news. We have a strong group of guys who are more than willing to do what coach p asks of them. What would happen if some of the guys were on the bench because they didn't work hard. Then you would cry about not winning, so support the team and reserve judgement until march.

jgphillips3

November 22, 2007, 10:44:37 am #12 Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 10:46:45 am by jgphillips3
Quote from: pastorhog on November 22, 2007, 09:19:26 am
The guys are not whinning they are saying how tough its been. I was with them in Puerto Rico and as tough as it was they have stepped up, you see the stat sheet but I wonder if some you watch the games or just the highlights on the news. We have a strong group of guys who are more than willing to do what coach p asks of them. What would happen if some of the guys were on the bench because they didn't work hard. Then you would cry about not winning, so support the team and reserve judgement until march.

First, let me say that I don't mean to imply they have had a whiny attitude in general.  I was responding to the comment that some players were griping about it being too tough.  If they didn't say that, props to the players, if they did, see my prior comments.

Second, I promise you that I would rather see guys that don't work hard on the bench no matter the talent level, because I care about winning next year and the year after and so on; I don't care about winning this year.  If you allow your talented players to loaf, you aren't going to be an elite program year in, year out. 

Players need to know, no matter how talented they are, that nothing less than their best is satisfactory.  That does not mean throw them under the bus after one bad game, just that consistent hard work is the key to long term success.

I was extremely pleased with what we showed and seemed to learn in Puerto Rico.  I know the loss to Providence and the turnovers were disappointing, but I believe those extra practices got the point across and as Beverly said: "We now understand the consequence of a loss."

Pel has a two year pass from me to get the team into the shape and form he needs it to be in to play in his style.  If you read any of my other posts, you will see I have been consistent in saying this.  My only concern with this team is how they have been allowed to treat the coach in the past and carrying over bad habits. 

Finally, thank you for following the team to Puerto Rico.  I wish I could have been there. 

Go Hogs Go!

BrooklynRoss

They're big boys, I'm sure they can handle it. It's not like they're playing for Bobby Knight.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.