Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Pelphrey quote

Started by online-with-swine, May 22, 2007, 08:32:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

online-with-swine

May 22, 2007, 08:32:07 am Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:34:24 am by Pork-U-Very-Much
"I understand it's not John Pelphrey, it's the Arkansas coach. So I feel very privileged and honored to have this opportunity. "

Team before ego!!

http://www.wholehogsports.com/nwat/53321/

DeltaBoy

Nutt knows nothing about Team first.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

parrishw

I think I am going to like this Pelphrey guy..................................

DEVICEHIGH

Quote from: parrishw on May 22, 2007, 08:38:14 am

Well, I think I'll just have to agree with you.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Ish O

I've already read 2 or 3 quotes from Pelphrey about being tough. I love that. It reminds me of when Nolan would say that fatigue makes cowards of us all. Not trying to beat up on Stan, but his teams lacked toughness.

razorrog1

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 22, 2007, 08:33:26 am
Thanks for that insight!  Wow, you really captured the true essence of this post.  Here's a new thread for you to start, "How many ways can you trash Nutt in areas that have nothing to do with Nutt?"  I'll get you started. "It rained today."  Nutt's raining on everyone's parade.  "My computer burned up."    Just like Nutt was burning up the text messages.  OK, we get it.

ConwayHog

Quote from: Ish O on May 22, 2007, 09:02:05 am
I've already read 2 or 3 quotes from Pelphrey about being tough. I love that. It reminds me of when Nolan would say that fatigue makes cowards of us all. Not trying to beat up on Stan, but his teams lacked toughness.

I'll beat up on Stan.  That guy needed to go.  Nice guy, bad coach.

No more fresh legs though.  Those boys will have tired legs and I like it.

SuperHog

Quote from: Pork-U-Very-Much on May 22, 2007, 08:32:07 am
"I understand it's not John Pelphrey, it's the Arkansas coach. So I feel very privileged and honored to have this opportunity. "

Team before ego!!

Wow what a concept...a coach who's top priority is not himself.  Too bad we can't have a HEAD football "coach" with this outlook.
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

Silver Hog

Nutt should take lessons from Pelphrey, a real coach!

HR Piganstuff

Quote from: swisshog on May 22, 2007, 09:17:51 am

I believe this thread is about coach Pelphrey???.....

You guys just have to use every opportunity to try and derail any thread with Nutt Bashing..... Give it a rest already.... SO many people are sick and tired of the same old negative crap....

How about staying on topic / positive about what appears to be a real step up for our basketball team... Coach Pelphrey has the right idea. I am very excited to see the new look of "Hawg Ball" next year when they hit the court. It should be very interesting indeed.

LoveTheHogs

Jesus H Christ - The dude tries to get a conversation started about Hog basketball and the hope we have, and here someone has to come along and start in with their Nutt BS.

Seriously, do you not think that all 25,000 + members know your feelings by now and without this added post we would think you love the guy?

Silver Hog

Quote from: Lrgrbt on May 22, 2007, 11:27:14 am

You guys just have to use every opportunity to try and derail any thread with Nutt Bashing..... Give it a rest already.... SO many people are sick and tired of the same old negative crap....

How about staying on topic / positive about what appears to be a real step up for our basketball team... Coach Pelphrey has the right idea. I am very excited to see the new look of "Hawg Ball" next year when they hit the court. It should be very interesting indeed.

I gave props to Pelphrey, what more do you want?

311Hog

Quote from: LoveTheHogs on May 22, 2007, 11:29:29 am

Jesus H Christ - The dude tries to get a conversation started about Hog basketball and the hope we have, and here someone has to come along and start in with their Nutt BS.

Seriously, do you not think that all 25,000 + members know your feelings by now and without this added post we would think you love the guy?

I agree with you, but it is true if it wasnt Houston Nutts Razorbacks !, and Him always in the foreground cheering himself on alot of things would be different for him.

Boner

Another train wreck of a thread.  Aren't they all, though.....

I think Pelphrey is going to be a great fit.  But I thought the same after Heath.  I also loved what heath had to say in the beginning.  It was what I wanted Nutt to say and do.  He always spoke tough, and always took the blame.

All those perfect press conferences and sound bites got us nowhere.

Silver Hog

Thats the reason Pelphrey is more popular than Nutt these days. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

YES!!!!

Its not about ME, its about the HOG!!!!

I want to stand up and call the hogs now!

what a breath of fresh air. Much like Heath, he is a class act and is all about the hog. Hopefully this guy will win more than coach Heath could.

LoveTheHogs

Quote from: 311Hog on May 22, 2007, 11:30:39 am

I agree with you, but it is true if it wasnt Houston Nutts Razorbacks !, and Him always in the foreground cheering himself on alot of things would be different for him.

That doesn't change the fact that are a bazillion Houston Nutt threads on this board right now where the argument rages and one could post anything they wished about Nutt and it would be in the proper context, but this thread isn't the proper place for anything about Nutt.

Silver Hog

Quote from: LoveTheHogs on May 22, 2007, 11:32:39 am

That doesn't change the fact that are a bazillion Houston Nutt threads on this board right now where the argument rages and one could post anything they wished about Nutt and it would be in the proper context, but this thread isn't the proper place for anything about Nutt.

Sure it is.  They are both head coaches of the 2 money making programs at the U of A.   And if Nutt had Pelphrey's great attitude, he wouldn't be in the hot water he is.  We would have 2 popular head coaches. For now we only have 1, the basketball coach.

Lrhog671

Pelphrey is very likely to become the best coaching hire our athletic department has made.

Silver Hog

Quote from: Lrhog671 on May 22, 2007, 11:44:45 am
Pelphrey is very likely to become the best coaching hire our athletic department has made.

I really hope so. I hope he has a long career here and does not bolt for KTY as soon as possible. But I won't really mind as long as he gets us back to national prominence again.

PiggyBack

ANYTIME there is a reference to anything a good coach says or does, it stands in stark contrast to ANYTHING Nutt says or does.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

razorhog52

Quote from: Lrhog671 on May 22, 2007, 11:44:45 am

I like Pelphrey a lot. He is coming in and saying all the right things. He is the exact opposite of Stan Heath, and everyone is getting on board because of that. However, I am not going to call him a great hire until he coaches a few years. Houston Nutt was the exact same when he first got here. He was the anti-Danny Ford. He excited everyone. After 9 years, many people are tired of his persona. I'm going to guess that the same people that love John Pelphrey now are going to hate him in 8 years. They will grow tired of something, style of play, style of speech, recruiting, etc. It is so true that a coach is never more popular than the day he is hired.

King-Tusk

I'm excited to see what Pelphrey can do for our team.  I think I'm anticipating basketball as much, if not more, than football right now.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

TulsaHogFan

PLEASE KEEP THIS ON TOPIC.  No more warnings.  This goes for both sides

end rant.

Pelphrey has been saying ALL the right things.  It seems to me like he also understands his limitations.  That I respect more than anything.  This guy is a great ambassador to the state, the school, and our athletic program.

Thanks for the quote.  I love being proud of this guy and this program.  I am already making plans to get over for a game next year.

I haven't done that in 2 years for basketball.  Thank you Pelphrey for bringing some optimism to the team.

Talent alone when working at their best is going to be hard to beat.  If he can win AND recruit, this guy will make us proud.

mword

Me too

Flatfoot

Pelphrey knows the right things to say.  He's growing on me and I am becoming more and more excited about him and the team. 

Give em Hell Pelphrey!
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Jim

Quote from: schweine on May 22, 2007, 11:57:08 am

Me too

Add me to the list.

GO HOGS!!

razorrog1

Quote from: schweine on May 22, 2007, 11:57:08 am

Me too
Me three

DeltaBoy

I am looking forward 40 minutes of Pel this winter!  This guy is all class and hardwork.  That is more than you can say for the NB.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Held Hawgstage

Pelphrey has dropped every cliche in the book and hasn't even coached a game yet. And that's enough to say he's better than Heath? Don't fall for the hype people! Open your eyes! Be very suspicious of anything this regime does on the hill. WAKE UP!

cowboym

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on May 22, 2007, 11:53:55 am

Pelphrey has been saying ALL the right things.  It seems to me like he also understands his limitations.  That I respect more than anything.  This guy is a great ambassador to the state, the school, and our athletic program.

Thanks for the quote.  I love being proud of this guy and this program.  I am already making plans to get over for a game next year.

I haven't done that in 2 years for basketball.  Thank you Pelphrey for bringing some optimism to the team.

Talent alone when working at their best is going to be hard to beat.  If he can win AND recruit, this guy will make us proud.

For the first time since 1995 I will go the the Red/White game.  This is actually the most excited that I have been about basketball(in the offseason) since Corliss was a freshman.  I hope coach Pel can get a solid recruiting class next year.  It's going to make or break him.
Cowboy M

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

Stella

Nutt is easy to outclass!

hardhittinghog

I really like Pel's philosophy and I do think he's a better "in game" coach than Heath but I'm saving judgement till next march....
Hi. I'm Wilford Brimley and I have Diabetes. It hurts me to pee and it causes me to be short with my family. I can't sleep at night. The other day I stubbed my toe and I took it out on the dog. And two weeks ago I ran out of vanilla ice cream and struck my wife. Then I find out my wife's been dead for six years. Who the hell did I hit?!

HR Piganstuff

May 22, 2007, 03:04:27 pm #34 Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:16:38 pm by Lrgrbt
Quote from: swisshog on May 22, 2007, 11:30:27 am
Quote from: Lrgrbt on May 22, 2007, 11:27:14 am

I gave props to Pelphrey, what more do you want?

You gave him props with your typical nutt angle... Just give him props without including the previous Nutt quote etc..

Props straight up to coach P...

HR Piganstuff

May 22, 2007, 03:06:57 pm #35 Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:14:53 pm by Lrgrbt

Read the header of the original post. ..

HR Piganstuff

May 22, 2007, 03:20:43 pm #36 Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:23:07 pm by Lrgrbt
Quote from: hardhittinghog on May 22, 2007, 02:58:58 pm
I really like Pel's philosophy and I do think he's a better "in game" coach than Heath but I'm saving judgement till next march....

Well said.... Cautiously optimistic would best describe my position. I think he will place responsibility on the players to perform and do the right thing. After 3-4 years and the honeymoon has worn off, hopefully we will see this continued direction in reference to discipline, work ethics, team work and wins. Heath is a class guy no doubt but I think Coach Pelphrey has some fresh fire that might help steer the program in a more positive direction if he has the staying power and the players buy into the program. Wins help garner good recruits as well as the overall direction of a program. Arkansas is second to very few in terms of facilities and fans. It should be very interesting to watch Hawg Ball the next few years.

So far so good.

PeytonManningSUCKS

"I know at Arkansas we can build a championship team in the SEC and compete nationally. All I have to do is look at the rafters in Bud Walton to know that's true. " - I think John Pelphrey said that...

WOOOOPIGSouuuiiiiiii!!!  - I said that.

VoR

After reading that article I would love to see coach Pel bring in a couple players off Nolan and Pitino's 1st year team to talk to the players, to give them their perspective. It's 1 thing to hear it from your coach, even when you know he has been through those wars before, but it is another when you hear it from multiple people.

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 02:06:00 pm
Pelphrey has dropped every cliche in the book and hasn't even coached a game yet. And that's enough to say he's better than Heath? Don't fall for the hype people! Open your eyes! Be very suspicious of anything this regime does on the hill. WAKE UP!

There is a reason for cliche's, cliche's are truisms, while it is 1 thing to talk the talk, all of us as fans owe not only John Pelphrey the opportunity to walk the walk, we owe it to the players as well. Yes I like what I have seen and what I have heard so far from coach Pel, does that mean he will walk the walk, I don't know, but I know I will offer him that opportunity to try.

Quit acting like a spoiled lil brat that didn't get his way after someone had the audacity to scold him, you're worse then some of the Nutt Haters.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hawaiianhogster

Hip Hip Hurray! Hip Hip Hurray! Hip Hip Hurray! Three cheers for Pelphrey!

I'm in like Flint.

little pigee

It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.