Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which basketball razorback will have a breakout season in 2007-08?

Started by The Boar War, May 18, 2007, 05:05:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

This question concerns new razorbacks or returning players who didn't have as much playing time last year.  I think Michael Washington will end up being very good.  The SEC qualifying process kept him out of practice for quite a while.  I think his tendency to get in foul trouble will be corrected and we can look forward to greater production from him.  Hopefully like his regular season game against Vandy.

bd93

Yeah, I think that Washington will have a break out season.

PigWig

I agree on Washington. I also think Stefan will make some big plays for us next year.

tophawg19

i think thomas will have a monster year in this system much like corliss did under nolan.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

501Ben

The W's will have break out season: Weems, Washington, and Welsh.

mword

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

It won't be Hill, as easy as a break-out season would be for someone as useless as he has been..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

jcam61

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on May 18, 2007, 08:48:56 pm
It won't be Hill, as easy as a break-out season would be for someone as useless as he has been..

Seriously, what is your agenda man?   Hill is one of our best players.

HawgG

Michael Washington will have the breakout season.

This will be his auditioning for the NBA campain.

He is the main reason why I picked on this very board that Arkansas should get to the Final 4.

FBfan

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on May 18, 2007, 08:48:56 pm

You should stick to spinning records, or whatever the hell you do, because you don't know crap about basketball.  Steven Hill was voted the SEC Defensive POY.  They don't award that to players that are "useless".

SardisHog

Steven has come a long ways, and still has futher to go to make it big time in the NBA. I for one enjoy watching his effort and GREAT talent.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

porkandbeans

My guess is Sonny Weems.  Pel's uptempo style is a perfect fit for the athletic Weems.

Beaverfever

Quote from: porkandbeans on May 19, 2007, 09:12:23 am
My guess is Sonny Weems.  Pel's uptempo style is a perfect fit for the athletic Weems.
I agree with Weems.  I think he will be first team sec next year.  He just got better and better towards the end of the season.  His athleticism will be a great fit with Pelphrey's system.  I really see him being our best player next year.

Proud Hog

I believe Washington will have a monster year.If he can stay out of foul trouble.

mbgrulz

steven hill is far from worthless, and his ppg will go up b/c he will get a lot of dunks out of the secondary break. matter of fact, everybody's ppg should go up. when you play up tempo, you usually get more shots and possessions in a game. more shots taken = more shots made.

my pick for most improved player is going to be gary ervin! if you know how i feel, you know that i think he was a major Achilles heel for us last year, but he thrived in games when we sped up the tempo and he didn't have to "run the show". if we can speed things up to the point that he can use instincts instead of IQ, he'll be a lot better. he'll be able to catch the outlet, look up the floor, and dish to the open man for a 3 or a dunk. he is a good strong athlete who i think will be really good at that kind of play.

also, i'll have to throw weems, washington, and welsh in the mix. i think weems needs to do a lot more penetrating than he did last year, and welsh just needs game experience (and i think he got a lot at the end of last year)

slopinhogs

I'm betting we see more from Vincent Hunter and Townes this year at least they will get of the laziness and practice harder if they want to play at all.if i were a Jr and a freshman came in a showed me up I'd be pizzed at myself and would have something to prove this year.

i really like the teams chances this year under coach Pel and his crew. they are all winners and these guys will rub off on this team . the sky is the limit for them. they have waited three years for this and have come a long way and all the roads haven't been paved but here they are at the brink of a breakout year.
I'm excited for them. GO HOGS

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

The Boar War

With Hunter and Townes I believe it will be an all or nothing deal. Hunter could fit in well defensively.  He's long and rangy.  Darian Townes has always had all the talent in the world.  If JP can toughen him up and set him on the right path he could be first or second team all conference.  They are going to have to resist the opportunity to just fade away.  I think they will either see significant playing time or finish their careers without note.

jcam61

I agree that Washington could be a very good player if he can stay out of foul trouble.   Potentially this guy is a KG type of player from what I've seen.   

Hopefully Coach Pel can teach him how to stay away from those cheap fouls.

OzarkHighs

I can't wait to see what Washington can do this season. Teach him a little defense and he is a huge threat.

I think it is a no brainer that Weems and the others will look much better, but I would like to see Steven Hill take it another two steps. He'll have a great NBA career if he brings some offense to his game.

oldfart

He certainly came on strong at the end of the year. He definitely has the talent and if he can channel it productively can make a big difference next year. He has the height to go inside, the ability to play outside.  Lets hope he continues to grow and flourish under Pelphrey

Quote from: bd93 on May 18, 2007, 05:15:33 pm
Yeah, I think that Washington will have a break out season.

hawgwild1087

Stefan Welsh.  I think he's a good fit for Pelphrey's system both offensively and defensively.  At the end of last season, I thought he played better than Ervin at the 1.  IMO there's a good chance that he will be the starting PG at seasons end.
He was recruited primarily for his defensive skill and I think with Pelphrey emphasizing pressing, high intensity defense Welsh will step up and be one of the better defensive players on the team.

Smithian

The comparison of Michael Washington's skill set to that of Kevin Garnett's is pretty darn accurate except Washington has a better touch.

My pick for break out player is him or Townes.

hawaiianhogster

The whole team will improve. The bench will improve. There will be many changes to the starting line up for one reason or the other. Everyone on the team will have a coming out party in one game or two. The big guys that can shoot and dribble will help get our lead then Hill will be our defensive guy and slam it in their faces. Now if Pelphrey and gang can teach Hill how to shoot and dribble without losing the ball maybe he will become a force on the offensive side to. Hard to tell at this time. The three w's is a safe bet on the leaders of the team as far as scoring. The new kids will get their time in the spot light. I don't expect much from them but you never know. One of them could become a starter towards the end of the season. Highly doubt it.

Win we will. We will win games easier. We will win the games we get a big lead in unlike last year. We will win the close games to. All this adds up to a final four showing. I don't expect this to happen but it could. I will hold Pelphrey accountable for their record but realistically we should only expect and demand a winning season for his first year in the big SEC. Possibly the best conference around.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Smithian on May 20, 2007, 03:21:57 pm
The comparison of Michael Washington's skill set to that of Kevin Garnett's is pretty darn accurate except Washington has a better touch.

This is homerness at its best and completely STUPID.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

jcam61

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on May 20, 2007, 09:30:09 pm

I think hes talking about his STYLE of play, which is very similar to KG's.  Im pretty sure noone is dumb enough to think he is as good as Garnett.

cardinalhawg

I think the obvious choice would be Michael Washington, since he has a lot of upside and potential, but outside of that, perhaps Weems or Townes.

Foshodo

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on May 20, 2007, 09:30:09 pm

so calling DPOY in the SEC useless isnt it's own special brand of retardation?