Pages:
Actions
  • #14851 by GoHogs1091 on 02 Oct 2015
  • I do admit to liking Carolina style sauces for the most part though. I got used to it when living and working there. But I like nearly all types of BBQ sauces. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time.
    Regionally, BBQ sauces are a very interesting aspect.  All of the BBQ sauces I have tried I had high expectations, and with some my expectations were not met, and then with some my expectations got met.

Here is the list of BBQ sauces I have eaten.  All of the following are Mild, no Hot Sauce.

Pink Flamingo    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Whole Hog Cafe    Fort Smith, Arkansas location
    Jerry Neel's    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Penguin Ed's    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Rivertowne    Ozark, Arkansas
    Back Door BBQ    Clarksville, Arkansas  (restaurant no longer in existence)
    Hog Pen    Conway, Arkansas
    Smitty's    Conway, Arkansas
    McClard's    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Stubby's    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Uncle Joe's    Branson, Missouri  (restaurant no longer in existence as of several years ago, but sauce was still available up to around a year-and-half ago; I don't know since then)
    Sadies    Branson, Missouri
    Cowtown    Kansas City, Missouri
    Fiorella's Jack Stack    Kansas City, Missouri
    Gates and Sons    Kansas City, Missouri
    Three Little Pigs Kansas City Competition Sauce    Kansas City, Missouri
    Three Little Pigs Kansas City Sweet Sauce    Kansas City, Missouri
    Three Brothers (Different Mothers)    Kansas City, Missouri
    Wabash BBQ    Excelsior Springs, Missouri
    Smokers Wild    Paola, Kansas
    K&M    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Curley's Hickory Barbeque Sauce    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Elmer's    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Sa-Mokin Competition Recipe Barbeque Sauce    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Head Country    Ponca City, Oklahoma
    Runt's    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    My Place    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    Fish's    Tahlequah, Oklahoma
    Butcher BBQ    Chandler, Oklahoma
    Van's Pig Stand    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    John's BBQ    Okemah, Oklahoma
    Horizon Original    Perry, Oklahoma   (Horizon also makes Smokers)
    Lotta Bull BBQ    Marietta, Oklahoma
    Sweet Spirit Foods    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Corky's    Memphis, Tennessee
    Interstate BBQ    Memphis, Tennessee   (Jim Neely's place)
    Rendezvous    Memphis, Tennessee
    Neely's    Memphis, Tennessee   (Pat Neely's place)  used to also have a location in Nashville, Tennessee, but I don't know if it is still there
    Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce    Decatur, Alabama
    Jack's Bar-B-Que    Nashville, Tennessee   (on Broadway)
    Sticky Fingers Memphis Original    Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina  (a Memphis style sauce)

To me, the best sauces out of that list (in specific order)

1a. Van's Pig Stand   Shawnee, Oklahoma
    tie  1b. Curley's Hickory Barbeque Sauce   Hutchinson, Kansas

2.  Lotta Bull BBQ   Marietta, Oklahoma

3.  Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce   Decatur, Alabama

4.   Wabash BBQ   Excelsior Springs, Missouri

To me, the worst sauces out of that list (in specific order)

1.  McClard's   Hot Springs, Arkansas   (just a weird BBQ sauce, especially the consistency of it; reminded of salsa that is to dip chips in)

2.  Interstate BBQ   Memphis, Tennessee

3.  Fiorella's Jack Stack   Kansas City, Missouri

4.  Jack's Bar-B-Que   Nashville, Tennessee

5.  Three Brothers (Different Mothers)   Kansas City, Missouri
  • #14852 by NaturalStateReb on 02 Oct 2015
  • I personally would skip the BBQ in Memphis.  I have yet to find a Memphis BBQ sauce that I like.

Also, there is the Memphis BBQ practice of putting coleslaw on the sandwiches.  Can't taste the smoked meat with coleslaw on there.

Slaw on BBQ is an abomination before the Lord.

Good BBQ in Memphis, though.
  • #14853 by LJHOG on 02 Oct 2015
  • take a lot of Rolaids
  • #14854 by BPsTheMan on 02 Oct 2015
  • ricepig and GoHogs1091 arguing cole slaw - best thread ever

I agree GoHogs, cole slaw on BBQ is for stupid people.

ricepig??  :D

Jacks BBQ in Nashville is just fine - high vinegar content "Carolina style" is my favorite.

Knoxville - go get a meal at Litton's Market in Fountain City - it's one that Todd Blackledge featured on his travels
  • #14855 by BPsTheMan on 02 Oct 2015
  • If you want go ahead and continue to waste your money on Memphis BBQ, then go right ahead.

:D
  • #14856 by BPsTheMan on 02 Oct 2015
  • Regionally, BBQ sauces are a very interesting aspect.  All of the BBQ sauces I have tried I had high expectations, and with some my expectations were not met, and then with some my expectations got met.

Here is the list of BBQ sauces I have eaten.  All of the following are Mild, no Hot Sauce.

Uncle Joe's    Branson, Missouri  (restaurant no longer in existence as of several years ago, but sauce was still available up to around a year-and-half ago; I don't know since then)
    Neely's    Memphis, Tennessee   (Pat Neely's place)  used to also have a location in Nashville, Tennessee, but I don't know if it is still there
    Sticky Fingers Memphis Original    Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina  (a Memphis style sauce)

1.  McClard's   Hot Springs, Arkansas   (just a weird BBQ sauce, especially the consistency of it; reminded of salsa that is to dip chips in)

Clint Conque preferred Hog Pen BBQ

Gary Gibbs - Elmers BBQ

Brent Venables - used to be Runts, but now it's Carolina BBQ all the way
  • #14857 by Rey Pygsterio on 02 Oct 2015
  • Boy, y'all really derailed this thread.

Enjoy this trip. Neyland Stadium is one of the great college football experiences in the country. Incredible atmosphere. And, no, there will not be empty seats just because of the rain (you are thinking of Fayetteville).

The place to eat is Calhoun's on the River, which is also a great college football atmosphere.

You will be able to find parking near the campus if you get there early enough. There is plenty to walk around and experience on and around the campus.

I would also say to get in the stadium early. They do pregame right in Knoxville.
  • #14858 by ricepig on 02 Oct 2015
  • ricepig and GoHogs1091 arguing cole slaw - best thread ever

I agree GoHogs, cole slaw on BBQ is for stupid people.

ricepig??  :D

Jacks BBQ in Nashville is just fine - high vinegar content "Carolina style" is my favorite.

Knoxville - go get a meal at Litton's Market in Fountain City - it's one that Todd Blackledge featured on his travels

I knew you had a screw loose, vinegar BBQ sauce??? Why not just [CENSORED] it???
    Truthfully, that's what our local place had growing up, Polar Freeze in WR, but between his sauce and excuse for slaw, I improved. It's funny, all my cousins from Memphis loved the BBQ there, I really think it was because our grandmother had a charge account there and all you had to do was sign.
  • #14859 by HognVA on 02 Oct 2015
  • I knew you had a screw loose, vinegar BBQ sauce??? Why not just [CENSORED] it???
    Truthfully, that's what our local place had growing up, Polar Freeze in WR, but between his sauce and excuse for slaw, I improved. It's funny, all my cousins from Memphis loved the BBQ there, I really think it was because our grandmother had a charge account there and all you had to do was sign.

Don't knock the vinegar sauce until you try it. It's just vinegar red pepper and spices to moisten the meat then put it on the bread with a little hot sauce and, yes Cole slaw. Good stuff, I've been eating it since I moved to SE VA years ago. I still like most all bbq styles except the South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce. And I love mustard....go figure.
  • #14860 by MountieDawg on 02 Oct 2015
  • My son and I are taking our yearly trip to see the Hogs play on the road.  We have never been to Knoxville and want to get the most out of our trip.  So I am looking for some advice from those of you that have been there................

Where is a good local place to eat near the stadium? 

How is the parking situation?  Where is an easy place to park to get out and head west after the game ends?

Any specific sights we should check out around the stadium (Volunteer Hall of Fame or museum, Peyton Manning statue, etc.) before the game?

Take a rain suit.... Its supposed to rain all weekend and lighting.... Hopefully they don't cancel the game after you make the trip!  I would stop at Gus's Chicken in Memphis for some great fried chicken with a kick!
  • #14861 by ricepig on 02 Oct 2015
  • Don't knock the vinegar sauce until you try it. It's just vinegar red pepper and spices to moisten the meat then put it on the bread with a little hot sauce and, yes Cole slaw. Good stuff, I've been eating it since I moved to SE VA years ago. I still like most all bbq styles except the South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce. And I love mustard....go figure.

I've tried it, that's what I was saying, I grew up with it. It isn't my favorite, so when given a chance, I don't use it. Truthfully, if the BBQ is moist, I don't put much on my sandwich. I do like slaw on it, especially a sweet slaw, but I understand those that don't.
  • #14862 by ricepig on 02 Oct 2015
  • Take a rain suit.... Its supposed to rain all weekend and lighting.... Hopefully they don't cancel the game after you make the trip!  I would stop at Gus's Chicken in Memphis for some great fried chicken with a kick!

I'd stop at the original, although it burned down once?twice? in Mason, TN and avoid downtown Memphis, it's just east of Memphis, a few miles off of I-40.
  • #14863 by PonderinHog on 02 Oct 2015
  • I'd stop at the original, although it burned down once?twice? in Mason, TN and avoid downtown Memphis, it's just east of Memphis, a few miles off of I-40.
    There's one in Southaven now, too.
  • #14864 by ricepig on 02 Oct 2015
  • There's one in Southaven now, too.

Yep, I think 11 of them now. I ate at the one in Germantown/Collierville a few years ago, it wasn't the same. Now, the one downtown in LR was good this summer, like most franchises, they very. Jonesboro has had a Corky's and a Whole Hog franchise, they both closed because they weren't anywhere near the same as the original. Now, a former Nuthill boy has a great Corky's in LR.
  • #14865 by BPsTheMan on 02 Oct 2015
  • Don't knock the vinegar sauce until you try it. It's just vinegar red pepper and spices to moisten the meat then put it on the bread with a little hot sauce and, yes Cole slaw. Good stuff, I've been eating it since I moved to SE VA years ago. I still like most all bbq styles except the South Carolina Mustard based BBQ sauce. And I love mustard....go figure.

thanks for setting ricepig straight

it's a community effort doing that - it takes a village
  • #14866 by ricepig on 02 Oct 2015
  • thanks for setting ricepig straight

it's a community effort doing that - it takes a village

Whatcha got against a sweet molasses sauce?
  • #14867 by mweston on 02 Oct 2015
  • Not all automatically put slaw on it. Some places ask if you want it. That's true in other places besides Memphis as well. As far as sauce is concerned try Central because they have several flavors and types you can try first. There are a couple of more that do something similar as well.

There's a place down here in South Texas that does that on their Brisket Burger.   I can't stand it.
  • #14868 by Rey Pygsterio on 02 Oct 2015
  • First of all, this guy was asking for restaurants near the stadium IN KNOXVILLE.

He didn't ask for an extensive list of all the sauces one poster has tried (though it is impressive and I appreciate that you have kept a list).

Second, once again there are all these comments about staying out of Memphis just like some of you do with Little Rock.

Some of you apparently have a real fear of urban areas. That spot where Gus's is in Memphis is not a problem area that you should avoid.
  • #14869 by GuvHog on 02 Oct 2015
  • My son and I are taking our yearly trip to see the Hogs play on the road.  We have never been to Knoxville and want to get the most out of our trip.  So I am looking for some advice from those of you that have been there................

Where is a good local place to eat near the stadium? 

How is the parking situation?  Where is an easy place to park to get out and head west after the game ends?

Any specific sights we should check out around the stadium (Volunteer Hall of Fame or museum, Peyton Manning statue, etc.) before the game?

You may already know this but I'll post this driving information anyway: Just east of Dickson, TN there is a 4 lane divided highway that loops south and bypasses Nashville. It crosses I-65 and I-24 then ends at I-40 east of Nashville. It's 16 miles further but it's a heck of a lot faster and the scenery is beautiful. It's highway 840.
  • #14870 by Inhogswetrust on 02 Oct 2015
  • You may already know this but I'll post this driving information anyway: Just east of Dickson, TN there is a 4 lane divided highway that loops south and bypasses Nashville. It crosses I-65 and I-24 then ends at I-40 east of Nashville. It's 16 miles further but it's a heck of a lot faster and the scenery is beautiful. It's highway 840.

It is a really nice highway built like an interstate. However the extra distance and faster time is dependent upon what time of day you go through Nashville…………..Rush Hour is bad but other than that I'd stay on the interstate.
  • #14871 by Inhogswetrust on 02 Oct 2015
  • First of all, this guy was asking for restaurants near the stadium IN KNOXVILLE.

He didn't ask for an extensive list of all the sauces one poster has tried (though it is impressive and I appreciate that you have kept a list).

Second, once again there are all these comments about staying out of Memphis just like some of you do with Little Rock.

Some of you apparently have a real fear of urban areas. That spot where Gus's is in Memphis is not a problem area that you should avoid.

I don't have a fear of urban areas. I live in one. MOST people do. We do however recognize those that have high crimes and what areas to avoid and such. Which brings us to this: Your comment about Gus's shows that you don't know Memphis very well and don't realize there are more than one Gus's in Memphis and one of them is not in the best part of town. It isn't an area to be avoided but it is an area to be extra careful in and watch your back closer than others right off of downtown. The others are in good locations BUT only one of which is easy access on and off the interstate for those traveling through and that's the one by Wolfchase Mall behind the Hampton Inn.
  • #14872 by tangman on 02 Oct 2015
  • You may already know this but I'll post this driving information anyway: Just east of Dickson, TN there is a 4 lane divided highway that loops south and bypasses Nashville. It crosses I-65 and I-24 then ends at I-40 east of Nashville. It's 16 miles further but it's a heck of a lot faster and the scenery is beautiful. It's highway 840.

Wish I had that information before I drove through Nashville this afternoon.
  • #14873 by Beantown Razahback on 02 Oct 2015
  • First timer with an AG Campus parking pass. Anyone ever parked there and know what to expect as far as securing tailgating space?
  • #14874 by murfvol on 02 Oct 2015
  • If you're downtown, the easiest way to the stadium (avoid the most hills) is as follows. Find Clinch Ave, and walk past the Sunsphere (odd shiny golfball-looking thing), cross the bridge, and look to your left.

There's a hotel (4 Points by Sheraton or something)  by a parking garage. Angle left, and walk between them. Just past the hotel,   head left behind yhe garage, and cross yhe pedestrian bridge.

Veer left at the end, and head up the hill to the stadium.
  • #14875 by uncle bubs on 02 Oct 2015
  • My wife and I made the trip from Nashville to Knoxville today. Knoxville is one of my favorite cities in America. This will be my first Arkansas road game as well, so I'm pumped!

One of my favorite restaurants in town is Tupelo Honey. Just good southern food. Check it out, it's right down town.

Also, I love Memphis. And Blues City Cafe makes a mean rack of ribs.
  • #14876 by uncle bubs on 02 Oct 2015
  • Also, is anybody tailgating tomorrow? We'll probably head over to Neyland early to check out the festivities and would love to mingle with some Razorbacks.
  • #14877 by AubFaninArk on 03 Oct 2015
  • Regionally, BBQ sauces are a very interesting aspect.  All of the BBQ sauces I have tried I had high expectations, and with some my expectations were not met, and then with some my expectations got met.

No Wild Horse in Sallisaw??  Love Gibson's White sauce as well.
  • #14878 by GoHogs1091 on 03 Oct 2015
  • No Wild Horse in Sallisaw??  Love Gibson's White sauce as well.

I have never eaten at Wild Horse Mountain BBQ in Sallisaw.  I have though heard from people that it isn't as good since the Father passed away.  The Son now operates it, and I have heard that the Father didn't pass on his recipes to the Son  (the Father took the recipes to his grave).

I have never tried Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce.  People do feel that it really excels with BBQ chicken.

I am wanting to try some more BBQ sauces.  Here is what I am wanting to try.

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/biggs-original-barbeque-sauce

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/kosmos-competition-bbq-sauce

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/papa-browns-homemade-bar-b-q-sauce-21oz

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/plowboys-kc-crossroads-bbq-sauce-16-oz

http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/collections/sauces-marinades-snacks/products/the-sauce-hillsdale-bank-original
  • #14879 by BadHog on 03 Oct 2015
  • No Wild Horse in Sallisaw??  Love Gibson's White sauce as well.

Amateurs no nothing of Wild Horse In Sallisaw! It's been 8 years since I've been there!
  • #14880 by sickboy on 04 Oct 2015
  • I'm hungry
  • #14881 by procsol on 06 Oct 2015
  • Is there such thing as an RV exchange board for RoadHogs?  I would like a pass with hook ups for the Auburn game. 

I know some other SEC schools have an official school sanctioned board that existing pass holders can place their pass for sale at face value.
  • #14882 by TulsaHawg on 06 Oct 2015
  • There is parking available at Roadhog Park for non-members on the gravel lot with no hookups on football weekends. The fee is $150 for conference games.  Non-members are not permitted to use the electric sites during football weeks.  During other times of the year, non-members may use electric sites.

For more information, go to www.arkansasroadhogs.net
  • #14883 by ImHogginIt on 07 Oct 2015
  • There is parking available at Roadhog Park for non-members on the gravel lot with no hookups on football weekends. The fee is $150 for conference games.  Non-members are not permitted to use the electric sites during football weeks.  During other times of the year, non-members may use electric sites.

For more information, go to www.arkansasroadhogs.net

Just pray it does not rain. The gravel lot can get nasty. we had an RV there for Bama in 2012 when it rained all day. Tracked a crap load of mud  inside the RV and it was too muddy to set up tailgate gear outside under canopy.
  • #14884 by RazorWild on 07 Oct 2015
  • Headed to the game this weekend.  Never been to Bryant-Denny.  Just driving over early that morning and leaving after.  Any must see/things to do?  I've heard the Bryant museum?  Any links or info greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Go Hogs!  :razorback:
  • #14885 by crimsonaudio on 07 Oct 2015
  • Lots of good info for visitors here: http://uagameday.com

Bryant Museum is a must-see. The strip (north side of the stadium) is where all the partying happens, tailgating will be happening most everywhere. I like to park at Central HS (south side of stadium, on 15th St), usually Boy Scouts or some group charging $20, but when the game is over, you're only a 10 minute walk from the stadium and you can avoid the traffic jam on 15th by leaving the rear side of the school parking lot.

Hope you enjoy your time Tuscaloosa (except for the outcome of the game).

RTR
  • #14886 by bigdaddyhawg on 07 Oct 2015
  • Headed to the game this weekend.  Never been to Bryant-Denny.  Just driving over early that morning and leaving after.  Any must see/things to do?  I've heard the Bryant museum?  Any links or info greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  Go Hogs!  :razorback:

When I saw the thread I though "Why is he sharing he's going to Texarkana?"
  • #14887 by Biggus Piggus on 07 Oct 2015
  • If you want to fit in and not get hassled for being an enemy fan, you need to take some pliers and pull out most of your teeth. Then you're good.
  • #14888 by DeltaBoy on 07 Oct 2015
  • #14889 by Hogs-n-Roses on 07 Oct 2015
  • I always liked the civil rights history stuff. Take a moment at the monument just up from the stadium. Get the barbecue nachos inside the stadium.
  • #14890 by RazorWild on 07 Oct 2015
  • Thanks for info yall.
  • #14891 by Pulled(PP)pork on 07 Oct 2015
  • Nice stadium, tv's everywhere.  go whistling through the graveyard if you can.  ;)

PP
  • #14892 by RazorWild on 07 Oct 2015
  • When I saw the thread I though "Why is he sharing he's going to Texarkana?"

Yeah I always confused that being from Magnolia.  We went to Texarkana frequently.
  • #14893 by LR Hog on 07 Oct 2015
  • Walk around The Quad staring at the coeds.  Be sure and wear dark sunglasses so you don't get caught. 
  • #14894 by Hog_Swanson on 07 Oct 2015
  • Walk around The Quad staring at the coeds.  Be sure and wear dark sunglasses so you don't get caught.
    Atta boy creeper.
  • #14895 by OS2 (SW) Razor Back on 07 Oct 2015
  • I hear their Klan rallies are top notch.
  • #14896 by uams1989 on 07 Oct 2015
  • I hear their Klan rallies are top notch.

You've obviously never been. We don't have that in Tuscaloosa. Must be thinking about Oxford.
  • #14897 by uams1989 on 07 Oct 2015
  • Friends outside the SEC who've seen the campus will tell you that's what a college campus is supposed to look like.

Take in the Quad, beautiful girls included (except for the freshman that answers to Carli...that's my daughter!)

Seriously, Tuscaloosa is not that great but the campus and BDS make up for it.

Only go to the original Dreamland off Jug Factory Road. The franchises are nothing special. But, you'll have a hard time getting in.

Have a safe trip and enjoy it until post game!  RTR
  • #14898 by davispard on 07 Oct 2015
  • Get ready to have all those, 100000+ fans, shaking those red & white pom poms at the section where all/most of the Hog fans sit.  And, get ready to see the ghost of Coach Bryant watching the Bama players warm up, doing so while listening to Lynyrd Skynrd singing "Sweet Home Alabama", blaring out of some of the biggest speakers at any stadium.  And, then finally, if we happen to lose (and that is NOT a given) by either 1 or 100 points, all those "tiders" will stand up in unison, waving those same pom poms, and start their very irritating chant which goes roughly like this:  blah, blah blah, hey Arkansas we just beat the hell out of you.

One of the greatest places to see a football game ANYWHERE in America, and I love DWRS, but there really is no where like Tuscaloosa for college football.  Enjoy the trip; it's worth it...
  • #14899 by ShadowTheHedgehog on 07 Oct 2015
  • The campus is nice the locals are polite (at least before the game), many of them will greet you and tell you they are grilling pork (they think that is just a hilarious joke - guess they don't know that you always eat the winner). Last time I was there was when we beat them after the rain delays, I think it was 2009. Some of the older fans were quite grumpy at the end and after the game, kept yelling at us and telling us to sit down. It was an awesome trip, we had painted Beat Bama and Roll Hogs on the sides and back window of the SUV, driving through some of the smaller villages in rural Alabama the natives looked at the car like if they had seen a UFO.

You will also get a lot of love when you stop to get gas etc from Auburn fans. (At least that week).
  • #14900 by MissippHog on 07 Oct 2015
  • I went for the first time 2 years ago.  Dreamland was ok (I've been spoiled with all the BBQ places in Memphis.)  Had a good time there though chatting with Bammers.  Had a good time walking around campus and the stadium prior to the game too.  Everyone was polite and cordial, will definitely go back some day.
Pages:
Actions