• 391,950 Topics
• 22,131 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 ... 370   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 763953 times)

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
Re: Road Trips
« Reply #13500 on: October 10, 2014, 04:41:43 pm »

Hog fly, does not sound quite right (as old as I am it could be my memory), was in a store.

Columbiamex is in a little store down behind Mexico Viejo.  The mole is awesome. 

Hogsmoke

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #13501 on: October 10, 2014, 04:47:11 pm »

I guess it is Columbiamex, part timers is no fun.  I will hit it and mangos next time up.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogfly

• Senior
« Reply #13502 on: October 10, 2014, 04:47:37 pm »

Hog fly, does not sound quite right (as old as I am it could be my memory), was in a store.

Right. ColumbiaMex is a groceria as well as a taqueria. Also a carniceria. Kind of cool to see them go over to the meat case, grab some meat from it, and bring it over to the grill to cook it (similar to CJs in Russellville, but the Mexican version). It's located back in the strip mall behind Electric Cowboy and Mexico Viejo. Across from the Wal-Mart optical labs.

Hogfly

• Senior
« Reply #13503 on: October 10, 2014, 04:48:55 pm »

I guess it is Columbiamex, part timers is no fun.  I will hit it and mangos next time up.

Mango's is on sixth as well. Right by Ramay Jr. High. It's pretty "authentic" Mexican food but with more of a California take on it. Owned by the people that used to do Oseguera's (which was an amazing place when it was in Evelyn Hills).

Hogsmoke

• Varsity
« Reply #13504 on: October 10, 2014, 05:41:45 pm »

Appreciate it hog fly.

FATHAWG08

• Senior
« Reply #13505 on: October 10, 2014, 05:43:40 pm »

PowerHouse Seafood & Grill on University

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #13506 on: October 10, 2014, 05:44:58 pm »

Try Lyn D's Gypsie Cafe on poplar

Ιtouffιe stuffed pistollettes, brew soup, Abita beer - can't go wrong.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #13507 on: October 10, 2014, 05:48:11 pm »

For your sake I hope you know more about football than barbecue.

You don't know anything about food in general and BBQ specifically I guess. You have definite opinions about BBQ it appears. What part of where I said and most would agree that BBQ is VERY subjective in taste do you not understand.……………………

As a matter of fact ALL food taste is subjective. Apparently subjectivity is not your strength. I guess you also missed the part where I stated I've been in the restaurant business. Therefore I KNOW for a fact food taste is always subjective.

Hogfly

• Senior
« Reply #13508 on: October 10, 2014, 05:48:54 pm »

MSMHawg

« Reply #13509 on: October 10, 2014, 05:52:28 pm »

Hey guys. I'm making my first visit to Fayetteville this weekend. What are the best local places to eat and visit while I'm in town?

Don't go to Herman 'a it is  not near what it once was. Sports bar Foghorns is the place. BarB aye is awful evertwhere in NW Arkansas. Mexican Chuy's Pinnacle is far and away best. Seafood flying fish in Bentonville better than catfish hole . Both in food and atmosphere. Rick's bakery best donuts anywhere.chicken monte ne at least three times better than AQ

hound

• Band Nerd
« Reply #13510 on: October 10, 2014, 05:57:07 pm »

Rolling Pin in east Fayetteville for breakfast, GREAT country brakfast

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13511 on: October 10, 2014, 05:58:58 pm »

Rolling Pin in east Fayetteville for breakfast, GREAT country brakfast

Thanks. Never been there. May try it Sunday morning.

majestic

« Reply #13512 on: October 10, 2014, 06:23:04 pm »

Herman's can take a great piece of meat, cook it perfectly, and then....... ruin it by adding exactly zero seasoning. As in none. No salt, no pepper, nothing.

Sassy's ribs had a great flavor profile last time I went there, but they pulled a Penguin Ed's and didn't remove the membrane. I'll never understand skipping that step if you consider yourself a "real" rib joint.

And Chuy's. Chuy's? If you liked Casa Bonita's microwaved stuff when you were a kid, go to Chuy's.

We have TONS of hispanic food in NWA, most of it not very good and from the same 3 families if you want Mexican. The Super Burrito in the old Foghorn's on College is pretty solid, but I used to bang the owner back in the day, so I can't go there.

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #13513 on: October 10, 2014, 06:24:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Lynn D's went out of biz. Which is a shame.

Edit: they did.
http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2013/08/06/restaurant-news-lyn-ds-cajun-gypsy-closing-bouchee-french-bistro-opens-and-more/

It's a shame, maybe they reopen at some point- restaurant business is tough, tight margins

MSMHawg

« Reply #13514 on: October 10, 2014, 06:31:48 pm »

Herman's can take a great piece of meat, cook it perfectly, and then....... ruin it by adding exactly zero seasoning. As in none. No salt, no pepper, nothing.

Sassy's ribs had a great flavor profile last time I went there, but they pulled a Penguin Ed's and didn't remove the membrane. I'll never understand skipping that step if you consider yourself a "real" rib joint.

And Chuy's. Chuy's? If you liked Casa Bonita's microwaved stuff when you were a kid, go to Chuy's.

We have TONS of hispanic food in NWA, most of it not very good and from the same 3 families if you want Mexican. The Super Burrito in the old Foghorn's on College is pretty solid, but I used to bang the owner back in the day, so I can't go there.

Chuy's by far the best, Casa Bonita never was good, Sassy's is terrible just like all NW Arkansas BBQ. You can't buy a burnt end in NW Arkansas. Herman's over priced crappy food, has been for 15 years

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #13515 on: October 10, 2014, 06:35:09 pm »

Chuy's by far the best, Casa Bonita never was good, Sassy's is terrible just like all NW Arkansas BBQ. You can't buy a burnt end in NW Arkansas. Herman's over priced crappy food, has been for 15 years

You seem a bit overly negative....Chuy's is just the new, popular place in Nw Ark- nothing special just something new. All NW BBQ is terrible? Wow ...Mr BBQ please tell me more.

BorderPatrol

« Reply #13516 on: October 10, 2014, 06:47:23 pm »

Sounds like you need to stick to bologna sandwiches.

bp

farmhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13517 on: October 10, 2014, 06:48:35 pm »

If you are looking for good BBQ, then you will have to get it before you get to Northwest Arkansas.

Hog Pen BBQ   Conway

http://hogpenbbq.com/

Rivertowne BBQ   Ozark

http://rivertownebbq.com/

If you want a good hamburger in Fayetteville, the Backyard Burgers on College Avenue is a good choice.  Backyard Burgers utilizes high quality angus beef for their hamburgers.

If you want good home style cooking, the Cracker Barrel in Alma or the Cracker Barrel in Springdale is a good option.
Holy crap, I thought your posts on coaching was bad but I just didn't realize.....backyard burgers?? Geez

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #13518 on: October 10, 2014, 06:58:39 pm »

The thing with BBQ is there are WIDESPREAD disagreements over what is or isn't good BBQ. It is the most subjective food by taste.

About the only thing that is good regarding Texas BBQ is their brisket.  They know how to do good brisket in Texas.

Memphis BBQ can be hit-or-miss.  One aspect that I have never understood about Memphis BBQ is their affinity to put coleslaw on their sandwiches.  A person can't taste the smoked meat with coleslaw on the sandwich.  Anytime I get a sandwich at a BBQ place that normally puts coleslaw on the sandwich, I always have them leave off the coleslaw.  I want to taste the smoked meat.

Overall, Kansas City BBQ is probably the best BBQ in the nation.  Kansas City BBQ is very good with pork, brisket, and they serve burnt ends (which you can't get at other supposed BBQ areas in the nation). 

There are some very good BBQ places in Oklahoma.   

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #13519 on: October 10, 2014, 07:01:07 pm »

Quote from: GoHogs1091 link=topic=577174.msg9252733#msg9252733 date=

Overall, Kansas City BBQ is probably the best BBQ in the nation.

?

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #13520 on: October 10, 2014, 07:23:30 pm »

?

Van's Pig Stands in Shawnee, OK

My Place #2 (the one on Okmulgee Avenue) in Muskogee, OK

Kansas City has Arthur Bryants, Oklahoma Joe's (the one in the gas station is the one to go to), and LC's (known for their burnt ends at LC's).

MSMHawg

« Reply #13521 on: October 10, 2014, 08:12:48 pm »

You seem a bit overly negative....Chuy's is just the new, popular place in Nw Ark- nothing special just something new. All NW BBQ is terrible? Wow ...Mr BBQ please tell me more.

Been to Chuy's in different parts of Texas many times. It's better than any the others in this area easily

MSMHawg

« Reply #13522 on: October 10, 2014, 08:14:13 pm »

About the only thing that is good regarding Texas BBQ is their brisket.  They know how to do good brisket in Texas.

Memphis BBQ can be hit-or-miss.  One aspect that I have never understood about Memphis BBQ is their affinity to put coleslaw on their sandwiches.  A person can't taste the smoked meat with coleslaw on the sandwich.  Anytime I get a sandwich at a BBQ place that normally puts coleslaw on the sandwich, I always have them leave off the coleslaw.  I want to taste the smoked meat.

Overall, Kansas City BBQ is probably the best BBQ in the nation.  Kansas City BBQ is very good with pork, brisket, and they serve burnt ends (which you can't get at other supposed BBQ areas in the nation). 

Lockhart Texas has two BBQ places better than anything in Kansas City

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13523 on: October 10, 2014, 08:15:18 pm »

Stopped at Rib Crib in Spdale last time I was up there and their babyback ribs were the best I have ever had....ever. Maybe that got lucky that one time?

Pathogen

• Senior
« Reply #13524 on: October 10, 2014, 08:17:17 pm »

Stopped at Rib Crib in Spdale last time I was up there and their babyback ribs were the best I have ever had....ever. Maybe that got lucky that one time?

Stopped at the McD's in Tontitown.  Awesome jalapeno burger.

Nafunu32

• Varsity
« Reply #13525 on: October 10, 2014, 08:25:57 pm »

First time coming to little rock. What time do the majority of the fans start showing up?

proud2bpork

• Senior
  • I believe!!!!
« Reply #13526 on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:33 pm »

I think they start parking at 6:30.  Got there about 7:30 for both games last year and parked a pretty good distance away.

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #13527 on: October 10, 2014, 08:34:02 pm »

Been to Chuy's in different parts of Texas many times. It's better than any the others in this area easily

You say it's better the than any of the others- what are you comparing it to?

greasy_corner

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13528 on: October 10, 2014, 08:39:18 pm »

Don't listen to any of them Matt. 

And Welcome! to the best board in the SEC!  Thank you for your wonderful banter and insight into the unstoppable Crimson Tide!!

Here's what you need to do...

For Steaks or Mexican I suggest The Hoffbrau or Cafe Santa Fe on the Historic Fayetteville Square.  Both are on the same street, and both are can't miss.

For drinks before the game, I suggest Fuzzy's on Garland.  Best frosty Schooners around...and here's the kicker...it's close enough to the stadium that you don't have to pay to park!  Just get loaded and walk to the game.  Nothing easier.

For after the game libations...nothing finer in Fayettevlle than Doc Murdoc's or The Pleasure Dome on College St.  Be forewarned though, there might be a few Razorback fans there.

Have fun and report back, we really do care about our visitors.     

P.S.  What was your F.A.V.O.R.I.T.E. spot in Oxford last weekend?

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #13529 on: October 10, 2014, 08:40:01 pm »

Lockhart Texas has two BBQ places better than anything in Kansas City

Louie Mueller BBQ in Taylor, TX at one time had some of the best brisket in the nation.  When Bobby Mueller was the Owner and the Pitmaster, his rub he used on their brisket consisted of only salt and pepper.  That is such a basic rub, but that was all that was needed due to the excellent smoking of the brisket that Bobby did.  Bobby passed away in 2008, so I don't know if their brisket is still the same as when Bobby was the Owner and the Pitmaster. 

jacobp

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #13530 on: October 10, 2014, 08:42:25 pm »

Don't listen to any of them Matt. 

And Welcome! to the best board in the SEC!  Thank you for your wonderful banter and insight into the unstoppable Crimson Tide!!

Here's what you need to do...

For Steaks or Mexican I suggest The Hoffbrau or Cafe Santa Fe on the Historic Fayetteville Square.  Both are on the same street, and both are can't miss.

For drinks before the game, I suggest Fuzzy's on Garland.  Best frosty Schooners around...and here's the kicker...it's close enough to the stadium that you don't have to pay to park!  Just get loaded and walk to the game.  Nothing easier.

For after the game libations...nothing finer in Fayettevlle than Doc Murdoc's or The Pleasure Dome on College St.  Be forewarned though, there might be a few Razorback fans there.

Have fun and report back, we really do care about our visitors.     

P.S.  What was your F.A.V.O.R.I.T.E. spot in Oxford last weekend?
Excellent list right here.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #13531 on: October 10, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »

Excellent list right here.

They're easy to find too, only an idiot would have trouble.  Docs was Norma Jeans. Only complicated bit.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13532 on: October 10, 2014, 09:24:21 pm »

You must not realize that SOME people actually don't like seasoning on meat. IF it is seasoned you have to ask why. NOT putting seasoning on some meats is not only acceptable but dang near frowned upon in a lot of places.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13533 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:57 pm »

I've had a LOT of BBQ in Texas and most but not all of it beef and only a little brisket as I'm not really fond of it.

Funny you should say that about Memphis BBQ because I live in Memphis and a lot of places don't put slaw on their sandwiches unless you ask for it or they ask if you want it or not. There is no affinity for putting it on there in Memphis unless asked one way or the other at most places. On another note BBQ in my opinion is better if NOT done as a sandwich. Obviously you like KC style and it is good but it isn't my favorite.
 P.S. Iv'e had burnt ends elsewhere besides KC.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

« Reply #13534 on: October 10, 2014, 10:31:57 pm »

Never saw so many opinionated hotheads in one thread.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13535 on: October 10, 2014, 10:51:24 pm »

Never saw so many opinionated hotheads in one thread.

Maybe so but don't forget to include yourself in that list.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #13536 on: October 11, 2014, 12:02:02 am »

I've had a LOT of BBQ in Texas and most but not all of it beef and only a little brisket as I'm not really fond of it.

Funny you should say that about Memphis BBQ because I live in Memphis and a lot of places don't put slaw on their sandwiches unless you ask for it or they ask if you want it or not. There is no affinity for putting it on there in Memphis unless asked one way or the other at most places. On another note BBQ in my opinion is better if NOT done as a sandwich. Obviously you like KC style and it is good but it isn't my favorite.
 P.S. Iv'e had burnt ends elsewhere besides KC.

Zagat's did a Top 10 in the nation barbeque meccas list in 2011, and they didn't have any Memphis BBQ places on their list.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/blog/2011/09/memphis-joints-missing-from-zagats.html

If you have any future travels, the following are the BBQ places to try to go to.

Van's Pig Stands   Shawnee, OK   The location on Highland Street
Van's has been in business since 1930, so they must be doing something right.

Here is their history.

http://www.pigstands.com/history

Here is a review with 7 pictures from Roadfood.com.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/2975-3216/vans-pig-stand

Arthur Bryant's   Kansas City, MO   The location on Brooklyn Avenue

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Bryant's

Big Bob Gibson BBQ   Decatur, AL   I have read a comment from someone from Memphis who stated that his Father would drive from Memphis to Decatur, AL just to get BBQ from Big Bob Gibson's (3 hours each way; 6 hours total of driving).

http://www.bigbobgibson.com/

Louie Mueller BBQ   Taylor, TX   For brisket.

From their Menu regarding their brisket.

"Known by many as our "calling card", our all-beef brisket is our most popular selection.  Our brisket is made fresh daily, prepared with a salt and pepper rub.  The briskets are then slow cooked in 50 year-old horizontal brick and steel pits using post oak wood."

http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/menu.htm

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13537 on: October 11, 2014, 12:10:51 am »

Zagat's did a Top 10 in the nation barbeque meccas list in 2011, and they didn't have any Memphis BBQ places on their list.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/blog/2011/09/memphis-joints-missing-from-zagats.html

If you have any future travels, the following are the BBQ places to try to go to.

Here is their history.

Big Bob Gibson BBQ   Decatur, AL   I have read a comment from someone from Memphis who stated that his Father would drive from Memphis to Decatur, AL just to get BBQ from Big Bob Gibson's (3 hours each way; 6 hours total of driving).

"Known by many as our "calling card", our all-beef brisket is our most popular selection.  Our brisket is made fresh daily, prepared with a salt and pepper rub.  The briskets are then slow cooked in 50 year-old horizontal brick and steel pits using post oak wood."

I don't have a problem with that……………..interesting that only one on their list is on the list you mentioned. A "mecca" of a certain type of food shouldn't be an individual restaurant anyway. It should be a broader area. Besides they had a place in New York listed. New York is not considered a "mecca" for BBQ by anyone I know. I've never inferred on this subject that Memphis has the top ten BBQ places of all time.

jvanhorn

• Senior
« Reply #13538 on: October 11, 2014, 12:27:36 am »

Here is their history.

Then I would quit using Zagat's as a food guide.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #13539 on: October 11, 2014, 12:31:10 am »

Then I would quit using Zagat's as a food guide.

I don't use Zagat's.  It is interesting though that Zagat's didn't include any Memphis BBQ locations on their list.

You will be hard pressed to find better BBQ than those places I listed on my list of places to try to get to if you are travelling.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13540 on: October 11, 2014, 12:49:02 am »

I don't use Zagat's.  It is interesting though that Zagat's didn't include any Memphis BBQ locations on their list.

You will be hard pressed to find better BBQ than those places I listed on my list of places to try to get to if you are travelling.

If so then why is only ONE of your places on Zagats…………………………..That's not much better than Memphis having none. That being said I DO trust a fellow Hog fans list over a magazines listings.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:15:56 am by Inhogswetrust »

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #13541 on: October 11, 2014, 12:52:38 am »

If so then why is only ONE of your places on Zagets…………………………..That's not much better than Memphis having none.

Perhaps, Zagat's hasn't been to any of the other places on my list besides Arthur Bryant's.  Surely, Zagat's has been to some places in Memphis (I would be very surprised if Zagat's hasn't been to any place in Memphis).

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13542 on: October 11, 2014, 12:56:48 am »

Perhaps, Zagat's hasn't been to any of the other places on my list besides Arthur Bryant's.  Surely, Zagat's has been to some places in Memphis (I would be very surprised if Zagat's hasn't been to any place in Memphis).

It's not where they have been. They don't send out "experts" they employ. It started as a survey service of readers. Over the years it was bought and sold a few times and is now owned by Google. I'm not sure how many surveys they do for a category or if they are considered "scientific" or "statistical". Comparing restaurants across the country as to the "best" is impossible to quantify. Comparing locally via those that actually frequent them regularly is much better in my opinion. That's another reason I would trust your list over theirs for the area you mention.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:37:51 pm by Inhogswetrust »

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13543 on: October 11, 2014, 07:07:37 am »

Seth Emerson@SethEmerson
After a very long day, taking in Shakespeare's Pizza, one of Columbia's famous joints. Too famous. Pizza MAY arrive by kickoff tomorrow.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #13544 on: October 11, 2014, 10:02:17 am »

The argument for what is the best barbecue is really a moot point.  Everyone has a different preference on sauces alone, much less how they like it prepared, cooked, etc. 

Example.  I love "fall off the bone" wet ribs, but to watch and listen to the "experts" evaluate BBQ, that would be unacceptable.  I don't really care what they think...I like my ribs tender and wet.  Not chewy and dry.  Which by default, means I would never choose "Rendezvous" as even being anywhere on my list, while people from Arkansas drive just to eat there frequently.  To each his/her own. 

My favorite story about the Rendezvous is how it has burned a few times over the years, yet miraculously those old photos and memorabilia on the walls somehow manage to survive every time.   ;D   

Hogfly

• Senior
« Reply #13545 on: October 11, 2014, 10:10:22 am »

Here is their history.

Judging from the KC selection, they're going more with tradition and history behind a restaurant than actual quality of food. AB's is an iconic experience, but it's nowhere near the top of anybody's list in KC as far as quality of their BBQ (once again, I don't have a stake in the fight, as I like just about all BBQ).

Pigstie

• Senior
« Reply #13546 on: October 15, 2014, 11:11:17 am »

It's been a while since I lived there.... will be staying Saturday night. Where are any decent hotels with a bar? In or around LR ?      :razorback:

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13547 on: October 15, 2014, 11:38:15 am »

It's been a while since I lived there.... will be staying Saturday night. Where are any decent hotels with a bar? In or around LR ?      :razorback:

Depends on how much you want to spend. The hotels downtown; Capital, Marriott, etc. have bars. There's a nice Embassy Suites off Chenal Parkway. The Crowne Plaza off Markham. Have no idea about availability or rates. Sorry probably not much help, but those are some of the better hotels.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #13548 on: October 15, 2014, 11:44:45 am »

I'd recommend the Wyndham in NLR, just at the foot of the Main Street Bridge.  Has a very nice bar, a Benihana's, easier parking and much less traffic than the LR hotels.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #13549 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:59 am »

If you don't care about being downtown then the gentlemen who suggested the Embassy and the Crowne Plaza is starting you right. Both have bars, both are close to a bunch of places to eat. The Crowne Plaza is also basically across the street from West End Smokehouse and Tavern which is a fairly expansive sports bar/ bar-bar.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 ... 370   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas