Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 19, 2024, 11:36:11 pm

Censoring at Bud Walton Arena..

Started by Godfather, January 17, 2007, 10:59:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sihog

I talked with some one that had a "Houston we have a problem" sign and it was taken by an usher.
GO HOGS GO

jkcrunch

Quote from: CabotHog on January 17, 2007, 11:34:13 pm
Quote from: softballguy8 on January 17, 2007, 11:25:01 pm
Quote from: Dugann on January 17, 2007, 11:12:43 pm
I thought this is our Arena, or am I missing something here.... I thought that the U of A is a state school not a private school or am I missing something?  Another expample of bully by the U of A Athlethic Department.  I am not clear on the laws on this but seems to me that is not something that is right.  maybe someone will have some better insight to it but I think that I am right in saying that the U of A is state funded and that Arean is not private.  If I am wrong I will eat my shorts man. hehe.

Why don't the users gripe about this message board saying we can't post anymore email threads or nothing about Mitchell's grandmother.

I'm not trying to start trouble. I'm just saying ... 

Because this is a PRIVATELY owned board. It is not run with tax dollars.

Right and Wrong.....UA athletics is not run  on tax dollars but private donation and revenue generated from sales.    The UA of is run on tax dollars so yes a piece of salaries could be attached to public funds.  But in years past the Athletic dept has taken portion of it surplus and given them back to the general fund of the UA

chiefsfan

if I understand the loopholes correctly.  You cant bring a sign to the game that says anything bad.  But if you chose to wear Tulsa stuff, they cant touch you. 

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Quote from: TheMediocreEra on January 17, 2007, 11:08:48 pm
Quote from: Le Hogtre on January 17, 2007, 11:04:40 pm
Why would the university let you post a sign that makes its representatives look bad in their own arena?  Would you let someone put up signs in your front yard or on your fridge that embarrass you?

1st Amendment has something to say to those representatives...
A legal scholar you are not. You don't know what the 1st Amendment even means, and I virtually guarantee you that you've never read it in your life. The 1st Amendment DOES NOT MEAN you can say (or write) whatever you want wherever you want.

wkb

Quote from: CabotHog on January 17, 2007, 11:10:38 pm
Quote from: Le Hogtre on January 17, 2007, 11:04:40 pm
Why would the university let you post a sign that makes its representatives look bad in their own arena?  Would you let someone put up signs in your front yard or on your fridge that embarrass you?

Freedom of Speech. Of course, we know the U of A doesn't care about that, hence T-shirt gate.

They wont let you have those signs the same reason public schools wont allow certain shirts to be worn.  If someone thinks it hurts the university then I don't see a problem with removing the signs.  How crappy do we look as fans when we hijack a basketball game and turn it into a Nutt bashing.

Crappykat

Quote from: Godfather on January 18, 2007, 09:36:04 am
I would like to see the "Preapproval" papers, or the list of approved signs, or learn about the approval process (which is non-existant) for signs.  I am doing some reasearch on this today. 

We may have to bring markers and a posterboard with "Go Hogs" on 1 side and BLANK on the other..  ;)
Call the Marketing Department
Mathew Shanklin, Assistant AD for Marketing/Licensing

Jason Suitt, Marketing Coordinator

Jon-Michael Fazi, Marketing Intern

Phone:(479)575-4412  Fax:(479)575-8757

They must approve all signs before games, which I doubt they will. I am sure the ushers will be reminded to watch for signs before the game.
It just takes away from the basketball team, make a sign and stand outside but leave it there.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on January 17, 2007, 11:04:30 pm
Was anybody at the game? What was the real attendance, not the annouced attendance?

I would say 15,000 or so, maybe a few more but I would say that is a pretty good number.  Most fan's seemed to be focused on bball and the game than what signs are around, although the guy that dances with is shirt off (it's so ugly) always gets plenty of attention.  haha

Guys, I don't think anyone should hold their opinions to themselves, but we need to remember Stan and the Bball team are having their own season,....we do need to respect them as much as we can.

rfen

Quote from: hog_tied on January 18, 2007, 12:29:03 am
Where can I get me one of those Tulsa apparel items?!  I'll wear a hat to school EVERYDAY.  I'll become known as "that girl with the Tulsa cap". 

Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to wear a USC shirt.  Nothing against Damian, I just don't like USC.

I believe that you can get a Tulsa hat at one of those hat shops in the mall.  As far as the USC...I totally agree, I hate them with a passion...I was just saying that for more emphasis on how to support the players that got screwed over.

Granny fan

I have ordered a "Fire Houston" shirt, and I plan to wear it to the grocery store, wal-mart, the mall, etc.  They can't keep me from doing that.

fullfan

Need to get 8 students to go to the game Saturday with body paint, one letter per chest:  F I R E N U T T

It on CBS that would be classic.

Razorzac

I work with a guy that ushers all football and basketball games. He said that signs are not allowed unless approved ahead of time by the Ath. Dept. He said that they were not "refreshed" on this last night but it is common knowledge.
Go Hogs.

Godfather

Anyone got sign ideas that are tasteful?
WPS to the end.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?