Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Too Much Crying About Officiating

Started by WilsonHog, January 14, 2007, 01:23:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornhogio

Quote from: hogapalooza on January 14, 2007, 09:43:27 am
They are part of the game.     Do No-Calls cause you stand and watch, be lazy?  Just curious.

I expect that sometimes you stand and watch because you know that if you try to do something, it'll be called a foul. 

I don't think either side of this is an absolute.  Bad officiating has an adverse effect on morale, and when it's not consistent, players don't know what to do. 

There's also a fine line on how the coach should respond.  A coach obviously wants to make sure the game's called fairly, but it he makes too much of a fuss, the players dwell on the officiating and not playing ball. 
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

DarkHelmet

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 01:30:12 am
I agree with you fully Wilson, but you can't deny that within 8 minutes we battled back to win the game, and the officials ultimately decided the outcome.......c'mon man

wrong...

ervin almost singlehandedly cost us the game with his ill advised shots... when you have beverly and thomas on the floor, both playing well, why would you let ervin throw up a horrible shot when the game is on the line?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 01:45:39 am
I don't know, I'm just bummin right now and my pride is hurt by the hogs loss.....but i DO believe the officiating sucked, no matter what our level of preperation for the game was.

If I had to define our level of preparation I'd say H
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hong Kong Sooey

We know what we are going to get every year in Oxford.  Mugged, held, hammered, and bruised.  Isn't it about time we went in there prepared for it?  I can't remember the last time we handily beat Ole Miss in Oxford.  We seem to always have more talent, usually significantly more.  While it's a crying shame that Ole Miss continues to get away with that sorry excuse for defense, we have to know it's coming and overcome it with superior talent and good decisions.

NuttSu

Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 02:03:35 am
Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 02:01:28 am
Quote from: sharx4 on January 14, 2007, 01:58:46 am
Quote from: tobs54 on January 14, 2007, 01:57:03 am
Dude, it's an internet forum.  You have just as much right as anybody else.  Quit your whining.

whining?  omg, me tryin to put  apoint across is whining.. what is what you are doing when u are tryint o suppress em and my opinion;  which is just what ur's is, an opinion...

NO ONE IS TRYING TO SUPPRESS YOUR OPINION. YOU HAVE STATED YOUR OPINION SEVERAL TIMES OVER. IF IT BOTHERS YOU THAT THERE ARE RAZORBACK FANS WHO DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR OPINION, TOO BAD. GROW A SET OF BALLS AND DEAL WITH IT.   

oh, i have a set, but ur opinion is no better than mine.

opins are equal.

we lost by 2  points, the refs accounted for how many of the rebels points??

<Jeopardy theme playin'>  

ill help here... LOTS of them
We get it, we lost by 2

Knot2brite

the thing that bothers me is that we played like darn for 30 minutes and like studs for about 7 minutes, then when the game was on the line, the officals decided to suddenly not call the same fouls they had called all day. Yes we played horribly, yes Ole Miss was hitting shots out their back pocket, and YES the officals decided not to be the ones to call/decide the game. It is the same every where you go. The last two shots that Ervin took he was fouled obviously on one and got to deep on the seond and could have a legit case for a foul on it. Sorry Wilson, the officals can decide a game without blowing the whistle. Don't you remember those days when they did that when you were coaching?
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

WilsonHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 14, 2007, 03:03:17 pm
Don't you remember those days when they did that when you were coaching?

I didn't believe in blaming officials when I was coaching football, baseball, and softball, and I still don't. There are simply too many opportunities in the course of a game where proper execution would have made a difference. It's counterproductive to spend time worrying about an aspect of the game that you have little control over.

Knot2brite

I believe that an offical dan determine the outcome of a game intentionally or unintentionally. I have coached two games in which there was two hits all game, one by each team. One team scored on a very controversial call at the plate and the other got their runner thrown out at the plate on a call that was as close as the other. sorry but they can affect a game. But having said that, yesterday should have not come down to a call or missed call.

WilsonHog

January 14, 2007, 03:55:11 pm #58 Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:05:57 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: Knot2brite on January 14, 2007, 03:49:47 pm
I believe that an offical dan determine the outcome of a game intentionally or unintentionally. I have coached two games in which there was two hits all game, one by each team. One team scored on a very controversial call at the plate and the other got their runner thrown out at the plate on a call that was as close as the other. sorry but they can affect a game. But having said that, yesterday should have not come down to a call or missed call.

But weren't there at least 26 other at bats when a hit might have made a difference in the game?

No one is perfect. In order for me to criticize an official for a blown call, I have to first come to the conclusion that I coached a perfect game and all of my players played a perfect game.

I was never able to do that.

To use a baseball example, suppose that I'm coaching a game that we lose 1-0 when a runner was called safe who clearly appeared to be out. In the half inning before my lead-off hitter doubled and I decided to sacrifice him to third. The next two hitters struck out.

Whose to say that if I had let the kid swing away instead of sacrificing that he would have hit one in the gap to score the runner and thereby have the poor call at least amount to no worse than extra innings?     

Whataboar™

Quote from: razorbacks1usa on January 14, 2007, 06:53:36 am
I WAS AT THE GAME AND THE REFS WAS BAD ON BOTH SIDES
CALLED ALOT OF BAC CALLS ON US AND THEM SO U CANT SAY THE REFS BEAT US
WE ACTED LIKE WE DIDNT EVEN WANT TO PLAY BALL TILL ABOUT HALF WAY IN THE 2ND HALF
It hurts my ears when you use ALL CAPS.  :P
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Whataboar™

Too many turnovers.
Ate our lunch on the offensive boards.
No doubt, no call on Ervin hurt late but you have to assume you're not always going to get those calls on the road.
In the end, too little too late.
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Knot2brite

all I will say is that I wish I had the officals you have had over the years. The state of officiating in the state and in college sports is getting worse every year

WilsonHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 14, 2007, 04:41:42 pm
all I will say is that I wish I had the officals you have had over the years. The state of officiating in the state and in college sports is getting worse every year

The quality is irrelevant. What is relevant is how I choose to react. What is important is what happens in that window of time between stimulus and response.

razor rob

I think we all agree there were plenty of other things to cry about, but the officiating seemed pretty inconsistent. The 24-hour window on crying over this game is closing, and it's time to move on to the next game on the schedule.
Where's my schedule? Who's up next?

Knot2brite

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 04:51:30 pm

The quality is irrelevant. What is relevant is how I choose to react. What is important is what happens in that window of time between stimulus and response.

maybe that is why you decided to get into administration. It happens alot in the coaching business.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 14, 2007, 05:09:59 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 04:51:30 pm

maybe that is why you decided to get into administration. It happens alot in the coaching business.

I'm sure it does.

And if it bothers you or upsets you when it happens, it is because YOU allow somethinbg to bother you over which you have no control.

Seems a waste of time and energy to me, but to each his own. 

Hogpuddin

We got ripped, but we should be used to it by now.  It's not as bad as it was in the SWC, but I have seen games (not the Ole Miss one) where you could tell that the SEC PTB told the officials who needed to win the game.

stronguard

Officiais did not cost us the game.  Coaching, plain and simple cost us that game.  STANLEY must go.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: stronguard on January 14, 2007, 08:01:10 pm
Officiais did not cost us the game.  Coaching, plain and simple cost us that game.  STANLEY must go.

You're right, we should have never been in that position, but we were, and we got ripped.

War: Run-on sentences.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 14, 2007, 02:14:45 am
One fact remains at the end of the day. We're 1-2 in the SEC when we should be 2-1.

If we're a bubble team when Selection Sunday rolls around, no one on the selection committee will slap his forehead and say, "Oh, hell! Remember that game against Ole Miss back in January? The officiating was HORRIBLE. We have to count that one as a win for Arkansas, gentlemen."

It was a loss against a team we should have handled easily.   

Why exactly should Ole Miss have been handled "easily"?  In conference play that's rarely the case.  By most everyone's reckoning, Alabama got beat 30 by a team they should have handled "easily".
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: DarkHelmet on January 14, 2007, 10:49:15 am
I agree with you fully Wilson, but you can't deny that within 8 minutes we battled back to win the game, and the officials ultimately decided the outcome.......c'mon man

wrong...

ervin almost singlehandedly cost us the game with his ill advised shots... when you have beverly and thomas on the floor, both playing well, why would you let ervin throw up a horrible shot when the game is on the line?

Well, if you agree with Wilson, there were umpteen possessions before Ervin's that rendered his missed shot moot.  So you could just as easily say the same thing about a lot of missed shots, couldn't you?

Hogpuddin

"These refs cost us almost 80% of our games, you know?"   ;D

Fatty McGee

60% of the time, the refs work every time!

Hogpuddin

That's just your deviated septum talking.

Niels Boar

I didn't notice it mentioned, though it probably was somewhere in this thread.  We had 4 more FTAs on the road.  That doesn't happen very often, especially when you get outboarded.

DarkHelmet

Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 14, 2007, 08:11:31 pm
Quote from: DarkHelmet on January 14, 2007, 10:49:15 am

wrong...

Well, if you agree with Wilson, there were umpteen possessions before Ervin's that rendered his missed shot moot.  So you could just as easily say the same thing about a lot of missed shots, couldn't you?

i dont give a crap about missed shots.
i do give a crap about shot selection, and getting it to the right guy/hot guy when the game is on the line.

Fatty McGee

razor rob

The box score stats were all in our favor, except for turnovers and the final score.

DEVICEHIGH

January 15, 2007, 05:17:25 pm #78 Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:36:43 pm by DEVICEHIGH
Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 02:27:52 am
Quote from: hogapalooza on January 14, 2007, 02:23:46 am
Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 02:18:47 am
Quote from: hogapalooza on January 14, 2007, 02:12:53 am
Quote from: lunchbox72703 on January 14, 2007, 02:10:00 am
Hey sharx..I've been a member of this board for a while....and while I find it flattering that you are taking my side on this argument, in the end, it is a futile attempt.  I will eventually put my razorback pride aside and see the truth about the game....and you should follow.  But, as many on this board knows...i usually am blinded by pride for about 24 hours and then the truth finally sinks in. 
I am Blinded by the Bright light of Intelligence from the HILL! 

Oh, wait.....   Never mind...  that was a frat guy lighting his farts on fire.  It is still dark other then that.

I love you man, but I am currently in photoshop trying to destroy you on jpeg!!!!  ;)
Ask Devicehigh??? to help.  He is pretty good.

Chappin my hide i see......don't you remember some of the lunchbox greats?  Hulk Houston?  Star wars Mitch?  T-shirts about copywrites? I see how this is.  I've been gone for a while and every annoints device to moderator status while they forget about little ol lunchbox.  THIS IS WAR, MAN, THIS IS WAR!!!!  ;)

(actually, I think he is very funny.....)
BUT THAT CHANGES NOTHING!!!!!

I bow to your greatness. Yours are very good.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American