Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Before you blame "STAN'S COACHING"- who drew up the Weems go-ahead inbound lob?

Started by fourthcrusade, December 20, 2006, 11:29:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fourthcrusade

The one with about 30 seconds left?

Who drew that one up, the waterboy?  Rick Schaeffer?

LOL

I am hacked we lost, but in utter disbelief that ANYONE wouldn't call that game one of Heath's finest coached, even some people that wanted him gone yesterday are posting the props.  He did a great job on the road and we had a chance to tie with 5 seconds left.

Who drew up the go-ahead Weems lob bucket?  Shibest?

LOL! Give credit when it's due!

Adam Stokes

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 20, 2006, 11:29:19 pm

LOL

I am hacked we lost, but in utter disbelief that ANYONE wouldn't call that game one of Heath's finest coached, even some people that wanted him gone yesterday are posting the props.  He did a great job on the road and we had a chance to tie with 5 seconds left.

Houston Nutt called that play brotha.

weevilhogg

Oh my!

fourthcrusade

Quote from: ste4236 on December 20, 2006, 11:35:01 pm
Stan took an ill advised TO with 4.4 seconds left after the ball went OB.

He is not a good coach and his numbers prove it. All he is is a recruiter

why was that a bad to?  we had to foul.  better to tell them who NOT to foul. 

Hog in MO

How much is Stan paying you anyway?  ;) I sure wish I was as easily satisfied with mediocrity as you are.  I'd have a lot more time on my hands I suppose. 

pigmania

LOL

What about when Ervin dribbled around for 30+ sec. then jacks an NBA 3, that he misses. Are you going to say Stan didn't call that play. Oh, Stan only draws up plays that look good, the players take it upon themselves to run the terrible lookin plays. If that's the case, Stan has little control over this team.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Hog in MO on December 20, 2006, 11:36:16 pm
How much is Stan paying you anyway?  ;) I sure wish I was as easily satisfied with mediocrity as you are.  I'd have a lot more time on my hands I suppose. 

who ever said i'm satisfied???

I just think that 1)sec play hasn't started  2)this team is TOTALLY different that last year 3)say we ditch stan in april, we go through similar 'mini rebuilding' for a year undre a new coach, and stan basically learned how to coach HERE and goes off and succeeds somewhere else.  why only let him stay as long as he sucks, then cut him off as he gets good?

Hong Kong Sooey

Do you ever get tired of calling people out and shilling for Stan?  I'm not really ready to give up on him, but your posts push me closer to it.  I'm sure you are hoping for the opposite effect, but you aren't getting it.  Back off a little, argue your point without telling the whole board how stupid we are, and you might find some success.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: pigmania on December 20, 2006, 11:36:47 pm

LOL

What about when Ervin dribbled around for 30+ sec. then jacks an NBA 3, that he misses. Are you going to say Stan didn't call that play. Oh, Stan only draws up plays that look good, the players take it upon themselves to run the terrible lookin plays. If that's the case, Stan has little control over this team.

Ervin also hit the NBA 3 to tie the game with 90 sec left.  so he gets credit for that one under your sytem, and its a wash.

seriopusly, though,m i hardly think a PG shooting a 3 as the shot clock winding down vs. a SET INBOUNDS PLAY STRAIGHT UP TO THE HOOP,  A LOB, i hardly think the first one requires it to be a "called play" vs. the second one.  am i wrong?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 20, 2006, 11:38:11 pm

I just think that 1)sec play hasn't started  2)this team is TOTALLY different that last year 3)say we ditch stan in april, we go through similar 'mini rebuilding' for a year undre a new coach, and stan basically learned how to coach HERE and goes off and succeeds somewhere else.  why only let him stay as long as he sucks, then cut him off as he gets good?

Good point. Fire him now that he is finally doing what he is supposed to wouldn't make much sense, imo.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 20, 2006, 11:39:03 pm
Do you ever get tired of calling people out and shilling for Stan?  I'm not really ready to give up on him, but your posts push me closer to it.  I'm sure you are hoping for the opposite effect, but you aren't getting it.  Back off a little, argue your point without telling the whole board how stupid we are, and you might find some success.

Thanks, dad ;)

In all seriousness, I will just as soon as people stop blaming "Stan's poor coaching" for Ervin missing 2 FTs, and as soon as posters in turn stop personally bashing ervin telling him to walk home, etc. (which is totally against the rules, btw)

(plus, who'd i call out? for real? this is strangely becoming liek a few days ago when posts and my sig were delted because i allegedly "called out mods" -- which never happened!)

ste4236

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 20, 2006, 11:36:03 pm

Well I'm glad that worked. If we shouldnt have fouled someone it would have been Durant... so there goes that idea.

We needed to save the TO because we had to hope Texas would miss one of the free throws, hopefully the first one. After the 2nd shot was either made or missed, call a TO with 3 ticks left and draw up a play. A smart coach like... eh, Rick Barnes?  would have done so.

"Cajun King"

Student at Colorado State University

ballhog™

Stan borrowed that inbounds play from Nolan.  He used to have Scotty do that all the time.  Stan was cruising through the museam at the bottom of BWA and saw that on one of those TV screens that shows great Razorback moments.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

pigmania

I guess we should break down each game into percentages of good vs. bad plays, so we can see what percentage of plays Stan actually calls.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: ste4236 on December 20, 2006, 11:42:14 pm
Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 20, 2006, 11:36:03 pm

Well I'm glad that worked. If we shouldnt have fouled someone it would have been Durant... so there goes that idea.

We needed to save the TO because we had to hope Texas would miss one of the free throws, hopefully the first one. After the 2nd shot was either made or missed, call a TO with 3 ticks left and draw up a play. A smart coach like... eh, Rick Barnes?  would have done so.

I think in the timeout before the foul Stan Heath told his players what he wanted them to do after the FT shot, that way Texas wouldn't have time to talk it over after the shot was over, giving the Texas D little time to adjust.  Doesn't matter though, Durant hit both of them.

ballhog™

Stan isn't letting Hipsher run the motion offense.  I feel lied to.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

WilsonHog

Immensehog

Right on.

One play in 10 games I actually say "wow".

So everything is supposed to be okay now?

Coach K makes me say "wow" 10 times a game.

Roy Williams makes me say "wow" 10 times a game.

That was my first "wow" of the year!
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

Hog in MO

I just think that 1)sec play hasn't started  2)this team is TOTALLY different that last year 3)say we ditch stan in april, we go through similar 'mini rebuilding' for a year undre a new coach, and stan basically learned how to coach HERE and goes off and succeeds somewhere else.  why only let him stay as long as he sucks, then cut him off as he gets good?

It doesn't take 5 years to build a strong team in basketball.  Arkansas is not the place for a coach to cut his teeth.  We are not a "teaching program" we are supposed to be a top 10, final four going program.  That is the major problem most fans have with Heath and with JFB for hiring him in the first place.  We deserve a PROVEN WINNING COACH for our PROVEN, WINNING PROGRAM.  I don't believe stan is ever going to rise to the level here that we expect. 

Look, i know that we are spoiled as fans here.  We EXPECT to be in the NCAA tournament ever year - that is the LEAST that we expect.  We expect final fours and national championships.  that is the monster that Nolan built here.  it may not be totally fair to stan but that's just the way it is and we don't want to wait 8 years for him to figure out what he is doing.  We want results now. 

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 20, 2006, 11:41:36 pm

Thanks, dad ;)

In all seriousness, I will just as soon as people stop blaming "Stan's poor coaching" for Ervin missing 2 FTs, and as soon as posters in turn stop personally bashing ervin telling him to walk home, etc. (which is totally against the rules, btw)

(plus, who'd i call out? for real? this is strangely becoming liek a few days ago when posts and my sig were delted because i allegedly "called out mods" -- which never happened!)
"Hey You *Stan did horrible types*"...  Ring any bells?  It's antagonistic and defeats the purpose.  Unless your purpose is to irritate people. 

razorbackfan4life

Stan had a good game........the players missed too many open shots= reason we lost.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 20, 2006, 11:51:21 pm

Thanks, dad ;)

"Hey You *Stan did horrible types*"...  Ring any bells?  It's antagonistic and defeats the purpose.  Unless your purpose is to irritate people. 

considering other posts on the front page include "STAN LOVERS" and "STAN'S WORST COACH GAME", i'd say mine is tame and yet again being double-standard-ed.  but alas, i will change the title just for you.

pigmania

Quote from: Hog in MO on December 20, 2006, 11:51:16 pm

It doesn't take 5 years to build a strong team in basketball.  Arkansas is not the place for a coach to cut his teeth.  We are not a "teaching program" we are supposed to be a top 10, final four going program.   That is the major problem most fans have with Heath and with JFB for hiring him in the first place.  We deserve a PROVEN WINNING COACH for our PROVEN, WINNING PROGRAM.  I don't believe stan is ever going to rise to the level here that we expect. 

Look, i know that we are spoiled as fans here.  We EXPECT to be in the NCAA tournament ever year - that is the LEAST that we expect.  We expect final fours and national championships.  that is the monster that Nolan built here.  it may not be totally fair to stan but that's just the way it is and we don't want to wait 8 years for him to figure out what he is doing.  We want results now. 
I'm sick of people thinking we are some Middle Tennessee State team and that it is a moral victory to lose by 4, to a team starting 4 freshman and a sophmore.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 20, 2006, 11:55:27 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on December 20, 2006, 11:51:21 pm

Thanks, dad ;)

considering other posts on the front page include "STAN LOVERS" and "STAN'S WORST COACH GAME", i'd say mine is tame and yet again being double-standard-ed.  but alas, i will change the title just for you.
The problem is, you are trying to change perception.  They agree with each other.  In order to succeed, you have to present well thought out, rational, fact based arguments.  Everything else is shaking a stick at a snake. 

ballhog™

One thing I did like about Heath tonight is it looked like he was angry.  I was glad to see him get after the officials and get a little animated.  Too many times I see him just shake his head and grimmace when something didnt' go our way.

Get upset, work the officials, be a presence on the sideline that says if we get screwed you will hear about it from me.

Hong Kong Sooey

Quote from: ballhog on December 20, 2006, 11:59:03 pm
One thing I did like about Heath tonight is it looked like he was angry.  I was glad to see him get after the officials and get a little animated.  Too many times I see him just shake his head and grimmace when something didnt' go our way.

Get upset, work the officials, be a presence on the sideline that says if we get screwed you will hear about it from me.
That was a welcome change.  Far too often, i am left wondering who provides an attitude for this team.  Tonight, Stan did.  I hope it continues and our big men particularly feed off of it.  We need to make people hesitate before putting a shot up in the paint.  Hard fouls have a place, but our best inside defender is always looking for the charge.  The other guy is looking for something to swat.  And Townes doesn't play defense.

pigmania

Quote from: ballhog on December 20, 2006, 11:59:03 pm

Maybe he's reading Hogville

Richard_white

Hogtropolis™

ste...please tell me when a better time to use the TO would be.  I believe that it was a good TO.  We're down by 2 and they're about to inbound the ball.  Try to draw up a play to get a steal on the inbound and if we can't get the steal talk about who to foul.  The TO won't help when we have the ball with 4.4 sec left to go and down by 4.  I thought Heath did a very good job tonight.  We lost to what will be a very good team this year.  GO HOGS!  WPS!

Ugly Uncle

Heath will be a great coach.  He isn't quite there yet...but he is on his way.

Lets give him a little more time.  Other wise...we will be known as the school that fired one of the best coaches in america.

I really believe that.
Retired Radio Host

Richard_white

Quote from: uglyuncle on December 21, 2006, 12:09:05 am

Lets give him a little more time.  Other wise...we will be known as the school that fired one of the best coaches in america.

I really believe that.

There are still some poeple saying that about Houston.

Atleast with Nolan you could tell that he was going to make a name for himself after he was done with Arkansas.  Good and bad

fourthcrusade

Quote from: Richard_white on December 21, 2006, 12:13:24 am

I really believe that.

Atleast with Nolan you could tell that he was going to make a name for himself after he was done with Arkansas.  Good and bad

Difference:

Stan keeps improving each year, like an upward slope on a graph

Houston's progress on a graph would look like a 3 year old's random doodling.

WilsonHog

The thing is, this isn't my first rodeo when it comes to Razorback basketball. I've been following it since we went 26-2 in 1977 when Sidney Moncrief was a sophomore and Ron Brewer and Marvin Delph were juniors. I've watched us experience great success with Eddie Sutton's "Discipline, Dedication, and Defense," and with Nolan's "40 Minutes of Hell" at the opposite end of the spectrum.

From 1974 through 1984 Eddie Sutton was 260-75, a winning percentage of .776. From 1985 through 2002 Nolan Richardson was 389-169, a winning percentage of .697. That's 28 years' worth of sustained basketball excellence.

Stan Heath is 69-60 in four-plus years with one NCAA appearance and no victories.

In his fifth year Eddie Sutton's team went 25-5 and finished #5 in the country. Of course, going into his fifth season Sutton already had two SWC Championships, one SWC Tounament Championship, and one Final Four to his credit.

In his fifth year Nolan Richardson's team went 30-5 and played in the Final Four. Of course, he already had two NCAA Tournament appearances, an SWC Championship and a SWC Tournament Championship on his resume.

Sutton and Richardson were great coaches. College Basketball Hall of Fame Coaches.

Stan Heath is not.

I don't care what style we play. I simply want a return to what Razorback fans came to expect over a 28-year period.     

chiefsfan

Somehow I seriously doubt Stan Heath drew up a driblle the ball for 30 seconds then jack up a 3 play

He draws up good plays and bad, just like every coach.  Id be willing to bet his plays work much more often then anything Nutt comes up with.  The difference is Nutts players can make even a busted play look good.  stan's cant

The cupboard was left bare when Stan came.  This is his first year with players that he recruited.  (yes he recruited Ferguson but that was an emergency fill in at the end of the recruiting year when he came in)

My problem with Stan is that he is learning how to coach, at a school whose fans want and expect immediate success.  We hired a guy with 1 year of head coaching experience, and we are simply training him it seems.   

He has been outcoached a whole bunch as well.  The difference is that I really cant blame stan for alot of this.  He shouldnt be here right now, Broyles was too interested in ridding himself of the Nolan Problem, so he brings in a coach from up North who is young, rather then staying with the long time assistant, who deserved the job, and probably would have taken over with better talent.

Do we need a new basketball coach?  Yes probably so.  But those of you who believe that every mistake we made is because of stan need to check their facts before coming in.    Arkansas is not a top 10 basketball program right now...and wasnt when stan came.   Top 10 teams take years to build...     Arkansas is no longer the attractive destination for recruits that it once was.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ste4236

Quote from: Hogtropolis on December 21, 2006, 12:07:16 am

ste...please tell me when a better time to use the TO would be.  I believe that it was a good TO.  We're down by 2 and they're about to inbound the ball.  Try to draw up a play to get a steal on the inbound and if we can't get the steal talk about who to foul.  The TO won't help when we have the ball with 4.4 sec left to go and down by 4.  I thought Heath did a very good job tonight.  We lost to what will be a very good team this year.  GO HOGS!  WPS!

I already did

"Cajun King"

Hog in MO

I really believe that.

I hope you're right because JFB is the one who has lost his "quick trigger".  He's Gun shy after the Nolan debacle and Heath is the beneficiary.  I personally think Stan has had a fair shot at it.  5 years is plenty of time to build a basketball team.  I haven't seen much to give me faith that Heath can take our team much further than he has already. 

ste4236

Quote from: Richard_white on December 21, 2006, 12:13:24 am

I really believe that.

24-40 in 4 years of conference play. it just doesnt look too good

"Cajun King"

ballhog™

If stan heath wins the west and we finish in the top 25 I will think he has had a good year.

I hope he can do that this year, I won't judge him until the year is over, but right now I don't have much confidence.

fourthcrusade

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 21, 2006, 12:15:39 am
The thing is, this isn't my first rodeo when it comes to Razorback basketball. I've been following it since we went 26-2 in 1977 when Sidney Moncrief was a sophomore and Ron Brewer and Marvin Delph were juniors. I've watched us experience great success with Eddie Sutton's "Discipline, Dedication, and Defense," and with Nolan's "40 Minutes of Hell" at the opposite end of the spectrum.

From 1974 through 1984 Eddie Sutton was 260-75, a winning percentage of .776. From 1985 through 2002 Nolan Richardson was 389-169, a winning percentage of .697. That's 28 years' worth of sustained basketball excellence.

Stan Heath is 69-60 in four-plus years with one NCAA appearance and no victories.

In his fifth year Eddie Sutton's team went 25-5 and finished #5 in the country. Of course, going into his fifth season Sutton already had two SWC Championships, one SWC Tounament Championship, and one Final Four to his credit.

In his fifth year Nolan Richardson's team went 30-5 and played in the Final Four. Of course, he already had two NCAA Tournament appearances, an SWC Championship and a SWC Tournament Championship on his resume.

Sutton and Richardson were great coaches. College Basketball Hall of Fame Coaches.

Stan Heath is not.

I don't care what style we play. I simply want a return to what Razorback fans came to expect over a 28-year period.     

Agreed.  Though i HONESTLY don't think you can compare 5th to 5th to 5th.  You should compare stan's 6th....  face it, that 2002-2003 squad had no talent, had recruits back out, heath got ferg on the last signing day from long island right?   any team with gomez as leader defines a "CUPBOARD IS BARE, FREEBIE" year.

if you give him a "prelude" year in 02-03, he is following nolan's pattern, and success, and postseason EXACTLY.

am i saying we get to the final four next year?  no, but we certaintly could with all these big men as seniors.  also rembmer, nolan's first final four in 1990, we were very lucky.  we played a #13 seed, a #12 seed (who we both BARELY beat), a #8 seed, and beat #10 Texas in OT to go to the Final Four.  then Duke, the first good team we palyed, KILLS us.

Final fours are gotten to by being Amazing or lucky.  We were a pinch of both.  Which is why the next year, with 2 losses on the year, we blow a 15 point lead to kansas in the elite 8, or the sr year of may-day, we lose to MEMPHIS STATE.  

Anyhow, im rambling now.  i want a retrun to.  stan may not be mike kryzewewski, but he's YOUNG and he's IMPROVING - and he's following Nolan's path to a "t".

chiefsfan

Quote from: ste4236 on December 21, 2006, 12:17:18 am

I already did

Thats a judgement call at best.  I would have callen timeout before the inbounds.   I really dont buy into the whole "ice the shooter" theory.

You call timeout to set a defense...hopefully the defense is good enough that Texas screws up and either has to call a timeout, or turns it over.   Thats the thing you play for there...not the foul
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ste4236

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 21, 2006, 12:21:43 am

I already did

Thats a judgement call at best.  I would have callen timeout before the inbounds.   I really dont buy into the whole "ice the shooter" theory.

You call timeout to set a defense...hopefully the defense is good enough that Texas screws up and either has to call a timeout, or turns it over.   Thats the thing you play for there...not the foul
either way, it doesnt matter any of our opinions, it was a lost, durant hit them both. Time to prepare for ORU

"Cajun King"

Hogtropolis™

I already did

Sorry about that ste...I guess its just late and I skipped over that.  I still would have called the TO like Heath did for the reasons I stated.  I just don't think you can take a chance on them missing the FT.  Also during the TO you can already have a play drawn up for if they miss 1 of the 2 FT.  Just a difference in coaching philosophy I guess.

WilsonHog

Quote from: fourthcrusade on December 21, 2006, 12:20:24 am
Quote from: WilsonHog on December 21, 2006, 12:15:39 am

Stan Heath is not.

Agreed.  Though i HONESTLY don't think you can compare 5th to 5th to 5th.  You should compare stan's 6th....  face it, that 2002-2003 squad had no talent, had recruits back out, heath got ferg on the last signing day from long island right?   any team with gomez as leader defines a "CUPBOARD IS BARE, FREEBIE" year.

if you give him a "prelude" year in 02-03, he is following nolan's pattern, and success, and postseason EXACTLY.

am i saying we get to the final four next year?  no, but we certaintly could with all these big men as seniors.  also rembmer, nolan's first final four in 1990, we were very lucky.  we played a #13 seed, a #12 seed (who we both BARELY beat), a #8 seed, and beat #10 Texas in OT to go to the Final Four.  then Duke, the first good team we palyed, KILLS us.

Final fours are gotten to by being Amazing or lucky.  We were a pinch of both.  Which is why the next year, with 2 losses on the year, we blow a 15 point lead to kansas in the elite 8, or the sr year of may-day, we lose to MEMPHIS STATE.  

Anyhow, im rambling now.  i want a retrun to.  stan may not be mike kryzewewski, but he's YOUNG and he's IMPROVING - and he's following Nolan's path to a "t".

Were you around in 1985? That team was filled with guys recruited to play a style completely foreign to Nolan. Ugliness cubed. Hell, it was so boring I can remember taking some of my law books to Barnhill to read during the damn games. He rebuilt the program from the ground up, just like Eddie Sutton did before him. 

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: ste4236 on December 21, 2006, 12:23:11 am
Quote from: chiefsfan on December 21, 2006, 12:21:43 am

I already did

either way, it doesnt matter any of our opinions, it was a lost, durant hit them both. Time to prepare for ORU
I'll agree with you on preparing for ORU.  GO HOGS!

Brutalis

I don't believe it was a set play. I live for basketball and Weems looked like he made a snap decision.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

HawgG

I guess what they say about the state of Ark is right.This is a FB state,because reading some of the ridiculous statements about basketball on this board proves that there is very little knowledge about the game of basketball.Some of you guys must not be very athletic now or in your hayday because simply playing the game with help you understand it some.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HawgG on December 21, 2006, 12:30:12 am
I guess what they say about the state of Ark is right.This is a FB state,because reading some of the ridiculous statements about basketball on this board proves that there is very little knowledge about the game of basketball.Some of you guys must not be very athletic now or in your hayday because simply playing the game with help you understand it some.

If you wish to attack other posters, you can either leave or be thrown out.

HawgG

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 21, 2006, 12:31:33 am

[/q
Quote from: WilsonHog on December 21, 2006, 12:31:33 am

It's is late WilsonHog and there is no need for that.Also be fair about it both ways.

ste4236

Quote from: Hogtropolis on December 21, 2006, 12:24:26 am

I already did

Sorry about that ste...I guess its just late and I skipped over that.  I still would have called the TO like Heath did for the reasons I stated.  I just don't think you can take a chance on them missing the FT.  Also during the TO you can already have a play drawn up for if they miss 1 of the 2 FT.  Just a difference in coaching philosophy I guess.
ah, everyone's different, no worries

"Cajun King"

TorsinAHog

Quote from: ballhog on December 20, 2006, 11:45:35 pm
Stan isn't letting Hipsher run the motion offense.  I feel lied to.

Im suprised a few players havent transfered because of the lack of touches and backdoor cuts.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg