Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was Your Best Memory of Razorback Basketball as a UA Student?

Started by WilsonHog, December 20, 2006, 11:27:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

One of the most vivid for me was the 1982 game against Texas in Barnhill. I was sitting in row 7 of the student section, almost against the rail right above where the Longhorn players went on and off the floor.

During the game one of Texas' guards (Ray Harper, I think) kicked Scott Hastings while Scott was on the floor. Darrell Walker decked Harper, and the fight was on. Eddie Sutton and Abe Lemons had to be separated. As the Texas players left the floor after the game, I noticed a walk-on Razorback football player standing against the wall of the ramp. As Harper walked beside the rail where I was sitting, the walk-on decked him. Next thing I knew there were students reaching through the rail trying to get to Harper. It was a helluva scene. Visiting teams used a different route to their locker room after that.

Oh, yeah...........we won 62-55 in overtime. ;D         

Fletch

Beating North Carolina in the NCAAT in '90 then having a friend tell me that Todd Day looked at Dean Smith and said, "Coach, you ain't got nobody that can guard me" after he burried a 3. Those were the good ole days.
I feel like $100

WilsonHog

Quote from: Fletch on December 20, 2006, 11:36:17 pm
Beating North Carolina in the NCAAT in '90 then having a friend tell me that Todd Day looked at Dean Smith and said, "Coach, you ain't got nobody that can guard me" after he burried a 3. Those were the good ole days.

And right after that game ended I was busy lining up tickets for the Final Four in Denver. Great times.

Fletch

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 20, 2006, 11:42:59 pm

And right after that game ended I was busy lining up tickets for the Final Four in Denver. Great times.
I was too poor to travel back then. I guess I could have used some of my student loan money.
I feel like $100

WilsonHog

Quote from: Fletch on December 20, 2006, 11:45:33 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on December 20, 2006, 11:42:59 pm

I was too poor to travel back then. I guess I could have used some of my student loan money.

After we got to Denver I went to the hotel where the coaches' convention was being held to pick up a couple of our ticket books. We got a good deal, $500 for two. As I was walking out of the hotel, my buddy and I were checking out the ticket books when a guy walked up and said, "Are those Final Four books? I'll give you $4,000 for them."

We went to the game.

After Duke beat us on Saturday, I was so pissed I sold my ticket to the Championship for $60.   

devildog

Barnhill 83 or 84 vs. Phi Slamma Jamma

There were six future NBA players on the floor at the same time
Kleine,Walker,Robertson,Drexler,Olajuwon,Young

The basketball and the atmosphere that night was absolutely electrifying.

AltaHog

As a student, sneaking into Barnhill for a game (cannot remember the exact year) when Phi Slamma Jamma was at their peak. The Hogs had lost to them at Houston earlier in the year and were definite underdogs in the game at Fayetteville. I did not have tickets, but found a way in about 3 hours before tip.

The Hogs won and the crowd was.... well, like only a Barnhill crowd could be. Man, that was one unbelievable place for College BasketBall. I miss that atmosphere.

Sao Ming

Road trip to "Strollin' Nolan" in 1991. 

One long campout in 1990...to eventually see UNLV put on a dunk clinic one not so glorious Sunday 'morn.

hogs25

We lived right across the street from the Bud and Lee Wilson would always park his low ridding Ford Explore with rims there and walk across the street to the game or practice.  Alley Thompson came with Lee more than once to fire it up if you will with the rest of the boys.  They were both freaking hilarious and big Lee was a freaking giant.

The ultimate was one day in May of '94 we were sitting there at the house with LW and AT and low and behold Scotty Thurman just walked right in needing a ride over to his apartment.  He couldn't find Corliss his roomate and LW didn't need to be driving at the moment.  I said come on Scotty but your going to have to give me 10 bucks for gas.  He knew I was joking and was in aw to drive him anywhere.  He first wanted to go thru the drive thru and pick up a package and when we got to his place I told Scotty that I'd carry it in for him because it was still daylight but really I knew Big Nasty would be inside and thought it'd be pretty cool to meet him too.  He was playing playstation I and was waiting on Scotty to pick up the other controller.  I sat there for about 10 minutes at their apartment talking to them before leaving. 

I thought when driving back just wow.  I was sitting there hanging out with Corliss and Scotty and never once did we mention about the Hogs.  I figured they had heard that so much especially coming off the National Championship that they were probably burned out talking about the Hogs.

CiriusPorker

beating Kentucky at home in 1999..when we sucked, but somehow, we got up for that game..and dismantled them by 10 points.

Brewerfan10

well since i am a student right now i don't have too many big game memories....but brewer's circus lay-up to seal the deal against bama last year was great!

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: devildog on December 20, 2006, 11:58:49 pm

Both years. We lost the first one. The second year (thanks in part to Clyde going pro early) we won. In that game, Akeem fouled out with about 3 minutes to go. That was the loudest I ever heard Barnhill. That game is in my top 3. Just incredible.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Richard_white

It was on the road against Texas.  I believe it was in 90.  We were down most of the game and Mayberry hit a long three point shot to give Arkansas a good run to win it out.  I remember it Big O blocking almost anything inside in the 2nd half.

Not sure if Travis Jumper was on that team.  I hope I got his name right.

radar hog

I was a sophmore with student tickets during the NC year so I have a lot.  I think the most fun at a game was when Al Dillard hit 12 three pointers in a game.  If he would have hit the 13th for the record, I think BWA would have come down.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: radar hog on December 21, 2006, 01:25:12 am
I was a sophmore with student tickets during the NC year so I have a lot.  I think the most fun at a game was when Al Dillard hit 12 three pointers in a game.  If he would have hit the 13th for the record, I think BWA would have come down.

Wasn't it Al Dillard who did something completely ridiculous...making ~14 points in something like 30 seconds? Of course there were a couple stolen in-bounds passes in there too. I didn't see the game, but I remember the newspaper having a second-by-second breakdown of how he did it. Just can't remember who it was for sure.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

radar hog

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 21, 2006, 01:58:27 am
Quote from: radar hog on December 21, 2006, 01:25:12 am

Wasn't it Al Dillard who did something completely ridiculous...making ~14 points in something like 30 seconds? Of course there were a couple stolen in-bounds passes in there too. I didn't see the game, but I remember the newspaper having a second-by-second breakdown of how he did it. Just can't remember who it was for sure.

If memory serves, I think he scored 16 points in 39 seconds against Memphis.

hogs25

Quote from: Richard_white on December 21, 2006, 01:10:03 am
It was on the road against Texas.  I believe it was in 90.  We were down most of the game and Mayberry hit a long three point shot to give Arkansas a good run to win it out.  I remember it Big O blocking almost anything inside in the 2nd half.

Not sure if Travis Jumper was on that team.  I hope I got his name right.

That's the game where Nolan was ejected and LM hit that long 3 to send it to OT only to have Nolan come back out after the game to wave goodbye to the crowd.  I loved it because they were talking so much smack as he was walking to the locker room when being ejected. 

Oliverhogman

I don't think Nolan was ejected.  I think he went to the bathroom.  At least that is what he says till this day.  Penders was complaining about Nolan not getting a technical foul for leaving the floor.  Best game I ever saw.

Best memory was "sneaking" into the Summit in Houston for the first SWC Tournament.  The ushers kept telling me to find a seat and I just kept moving all around the building.  Of course we lost that game but it was free for me.

Swiles2122

I would have to say that the 92 LSU game and the 93 Kentucky game are right up there in my favorites list. I will never forget seeing Shaq in person and it was great to see the Hogs pull it off in OT. The '93 Kentucky game was just awesome, I believe that was the Hogs coming out party(when the whole nation knew that we were going to be good). It is funny that most of our memories come during the Barnhill days. I loved that place!

Pork Authority

December 21, 2006, 06:19:20 am #19 Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 06:21:50 am by Pork Authority
Too many to pick one, but the first one that comes to mind is..
1992 LSU/Arkansas OT game at Bud Walton when we shut down Shaq.

Somewhere, Dale Brown is still burning from how we used to razz him.

Of course, our 75 point breakout in the 2nd half against Mizzou in first regular game in Bus Walton Areana was just ridiculous.

LA HAWG

Without a doubt for me it was the 1999 Auburn game when they were ranked #3.  The continually loudest venue I have ever been to.  It was awesome.

waphill

Quote from: LA HAWG on December 21, 2006, 06:31:11 am
Without a doubt for me it was the 1999 Auburn game when they were ranked #3.  The continually loudest venue I have ever been to.  It was awesome.

No doubt. It was right after we had beat Kentucky and they were in the top five also. That is the loudest BWA has been by far. I remember leaving the game with a throbbing headache, not because of alcohol, but because of the constant noise in that place.

radar hog

Quote from: Pork Authority on December 21, 2006, 06:19:20 am
Too many to pick one, but the first one that comes to mind is..
1992 LSU/Arkansas OT game at Bud Walton when we shut down Shaq.

Somewhere, Dale Brown is still burning from how we used to razz him.

Of course, our 75 point breakout in the 2nd half against Mizzou in first regular game in Bus Walton Areana was just ridiculous.

That Mizzou game was great.  We had some guys come down from Mizzou and stay at our house.  They were talking smack before the game and then had their tales tucked until they left the next day.  We didn't even have to say anything.  We'd just look over and shake our heads like we felt sorry for them.  Didn't we win by around 60 points.

1stwordswerewoopig

Vs. Texas in Barnhill (late 80's...87-88?).

Back and forth game.

Very loud.

Todd Day goes down the lane, elevates, sticks his foot in a Texas players chest, and slams it home.

The ref called a block and Todd got to go to the line for the plus one.

That was the deciding play late in the game and the crowd went ballistic.

Man it was loud in Barnhill.

hogchick26

I would have to say the 99' Kentucky vs. Ark. I was a cheerleader for the hogs, and I had never seen a more electric crowd. The guys played the arses off ( remember the "fab five" right?), and hearing that many fans in Bud Walton doing hog call gave me shivers! WPS!!
It's a new day in Razorback Nation! Go Hogs!

chillinhoggie

aristotle

Quote from: Oliverhogman on December 21, 2006, 04:49:21 am
I don't think Nolan was ejected.  I think he went to the bathroom.  At least that is what he says till this day.  Penders was complaining about Nolan not getting a technical foul for leaving the floor.  Best game I ever saw.

Best memory was "sneaking" into the Summit in Houston for the first SWC Tournament.  The ushers kept telling me to find a seat and I just kept moving all around the building.  Of course we lost that game but it was free for me.

Right, he wasn't ejected. He even came back out to coach after Mayberry hit the shot to send it into OT.

jwdento3

I think it was about '96 when Derrick Hood left the ground about 2 feet in front of the free throw line, jumped over a Missou player and brought the house down with a rim-shattering dunk.  Shortly thereafter the lights went out in BWA and the house went nuts...
"From the start/ She knew she had it made/ Easy up 'til then/ For sure she'd make the grade/ Adorers came in hordes/ To lay down in her wake/ Gave it all she had/ But treasures slowly fade.

Now she's falling hard/ Feels the fall of dark/ How did this fall apart?/ She drinks to fill it up/ A smile of sweetest flowers/ Wilted so and soured/ Black tears stain the cheeks/ That once were so admired.

She thinks when she was small/ There on her father's knee/ How he had promised her,/ "You'll always be my baby."

"Daddy come quick,/ The dreaming tree has died/ I can't find my way home/ There is no place to hide/ The dreaming tree has died."

aristotle

1994, after the NCG and the street party that was Dickson Street. That was my best memory as a hog fan.

Gorgonian

Was a student from 93-98.  Freshman year was the national championship year and first year in bud walton.  I don't remember it being more electric than the Missouri game in 93.  I was in the band, and I remember very clearly looking over at my friend standing next to me with wide eyes about how incredibly loud it was while we were both jumping up and down, and then for no reason at all it got louder.  We talked about that moment for a long time.  It was just completely electrified in there.  Never like that again while I was there and I was at every home game through 98 save one or two.

chillinhoggie

Quote from: aristotle on December 21, 2006, 09:53:52 am
1994, after the NCG and the street party that was Dickson Street. That was my best memory as a hog fan.
no comment

Chad In Real Life

Its sad that we have to rehash old memories because our current basketball situation cant produce new ones
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: devildog on December 20, 2006, 11:58:49 pm

I was there that night up in the rafters. second row from the top.
Pittman or Bust!

DukeOfPork

Yep, hard to top the NC game.

Quote from: Pork Authority on December 21, 2006, 06:19:20 amOf course, our 75 point breakout in the 2nd half against Mizzou in first regular game in Bus Walton Areana was just ridiculous.

120-68 over Mizzou.  That was probably my favorite game in person during my student days.

That was a damn good team that we absolutely destroyed on national television.  We all knew as we left that night that we were in for a truly special season.  That game showed me that we were a team of destiny and I'll always remember that.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Hmm.  I was a student for the 03/04 and 04/05 seasons.  Not too many good memories there...

H-O-double g

1999 vs Auburn. Last regular season game at Bud Walton. Auburn was ranked #2. I think we beat them by about 30. Bud Walton was rocking. D-Hood got taken out at the end of the game and bowed to each side of the arena.

Hogvious

Ditto.  I was a freshman and it remains my best Razorback memory.
  Nolan was right.

spudhog

is that true? we killed them that night. does anyone know the score?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: FarrelHog on December 21, 2006, 10:50:15 am
Its sad that we have to rehash old memories because our current basketball situation cant produce new ones

Yes, Arkansas should be a basketball power.  A good hire would have ensured that.

John Futrall

Watching the NC game as a freshman, at BWA, and then going down to Dickson Street and party with a few thousand of my closest friends...

good times

arktennis

Arkansas vs. UNLV at Fayetteville in 1991, #1 vs #2.  Even though we lost, it was a very exciting game.

The Nerdery

FAABrad

My greatest memory was getting up at the crack of dawn to get in line to see the number 1 ranked UNLV Running Rebels battle the No. 2 ranked Arkansas Razorbacks.  At halftime a friend of mine said he heard the Walter Payton was sitting on the UNLV bench so we went down and found out it was true and we got his autograph.  Unfortunately Arkansas got blown out although Ernie Murry went crazy late in the game and made the score look respectable at what I think was 112-105.

slop

Kansas led by Danny Manning ranked #1 was beat by Tim Scott raining threes from as far out as the snout. Man it got loud that night. 
Watcha kill that boy for Billy huh watcha kill'em for? Cause He was hackin' on me.

DrSwineESQ

I have so many, I started going to games with my parents in the mid-1970s, when I started school at the UofA I was in the band 1986-87 to 1989-90.  One I remember very well was our win over Arkansas State in the NIT in '87 I think.  We played in Barnhill.  We trailed all game, and came from behind in the final minutes--I think it was Cannon Widbey (Witbey?????) who was shooting the lights out.  The crowd during the last 5 minutes and through overtime was awesome.  But then again, in Barnhill with the Hogs, the students, and Jim Robken--it was usually electric.  That was a special atmosphere....

Next on my list, the NC game in 1994 when I was in grad school here.   The party on Dickson was...um...fun.

jkcrunch

Spending three night in front of the Broyles Center to get tix for the season in 82,   Watching Leroy Sutton outsmart Akeem at Barnhill, and Charles Balentine hitting a short jumper to beat UNC at Pine Bluff.   Leroy Sutton held Jordan to 6 pts in one half then held Sam Perkins to 6 the next half.

Hogvious

Quote from: arktennis on December 21, 2006, 12:14:06 pm
Arkansas vs. UNLV at Fayetteville in 1991, #1 vs #2.  Even though we lost, it was a very exciting game.
And the infamous Larry Johnson/Todd Day brawl.  Anyone else get chills when they saw Carmelo Anthony pull a Todd Day on Mardy Collins the other night?
  Nolan was right.

OzarkHighs

My best razorback memories were not when I was in college(those are still blurry). They were when I was younger and my parents would take us to the SWC Tourney. We called the hogs everywhere we went and I had a Big O shirt that Oliver signed that I sported everywhere. We won and it was fun being cocky about it.

Miss those days!

oldbooniehog

I was in Jim Robken's Hogwild Band for the last three years Arkansas was in the SWC.

I don't have ANY bad memories of Hog basketball.

All three years are all my favorite memories.

oldbooniehog

DrSwineESQ

Oldboonie, we were in the band together together then.  Good times, good times.