Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Smith In or Out Saturday....

Started by BloodRedHog, October 20, 2008, 06:53:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodRedHog

Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

idochog

Its too early to tell.  It will likely be a game-day decision. 
I love Jesus!

sivad53

you can probably bet on him taking part in this game

awj81

heard earlier on the radio he will under go some tests tomorrow,  then a decision will be made by the team trainers if he can go this week against Ole Mrs

Smithian

I'll be very, very worried if he is out. Even if we could get 10 touches and some pass protection out of him, big boost. Otherwise, it is time for Curtis and Johnson to go into beast mode.

want2be

If he plays Ol Piss they will be going after his helmet

Petrino does not need to let Smith get hurt worse

If there is not another back that can step up, then
     Petrino needs to have a B-plan for his offense.

claycohog

He has recovered rather rapidly in the last 2 days.  Unless something turns up in tests he should be near a 100% on Saturday night. 

silvertip

Quote from: want2be on October 20, 2008, 07:11:21 pm

There's a wide range of severity in concussions. I don't think the
clueless need to worry about it. Team doctors will decide.

jgphillips3

I heard day to day on the news.  Basically, that usually means he will play unless the danger of a recurence is just too great.

want2be

Quote from: silvertip on October 20, 2008, 10:33:59 pm

I realize the team doctors will decide.........I was just
stating that IF he gets to play look for Ol Miss to be
going for the hat

razorsharptusk

Just having him in the backfield will force the linebackers to stay home and could help open the passing game up. 
GO HOGS!!

jst01

Whether he plays or not, I would bet that his touches and plays will go
down a lot.  We prob wont see him getting the ball 40 times a game(runs+
catches) like the last 2 weeks.  Time for some other guys to get some
bumps & bruises as well. 

HoopS

We need him.   But he wouldn't have carried the mail as much against this D anyway.   Unless they change, we'll have a much better shot at moving the ball thru the air against the Rebs. 

TheGunther

Quote from: silvertip on October 20, 2008, 10:33:59 pm

+1 I agree.  Concussions are fickle and you can never be too sure when it comes to a head injury.
If he sits this one week he could have healed enough to be fine for the rest of the season.  He could
Also develop Post Concussion Sydrom.  You really just never know. 

I would much rather him sit this week and be good the rest of the season.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

razorsharptusk

How many of yall believe we will see much more passing this week against Ole Miss?  How many think it is a good idea against this secondary?
GO HOGS!!

jst01

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 21, 2008, 07:54:36 am
How many of yall believe we will see much more passing this week against Ole Miss?  How many think it is a good idea against this secondary?

more passing.  We have to b/c of our RB situation, and I think BP is
probably coming to the conclusion that this year we wont be going
bowling.  I think we have to get the WR's some true experience.  Heck,
the only way they will learn effective routes is to run a lot of them during
games so they can critique them on video later.  I'm hoping to see about
40 passes and about 25 runs. 

Ole Miss's defense is good. I think as good as Kentucky & Auburn.  If the
O-line & CD don't bring their 'A' game, the offense will sputter all night.

Coach Obvious

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 21, 2008, 07:54:36 am

Kentucky has a GREAT secondary, and that is why we went to the ground so much, to avoid picks.

But with Ole Miss, we'll do it through the air, and burn them on the run when they are not ready. :)

HotlantaHog

jackflash

I want to beat OLE MISS bad. But not at the risk of getting Smith hurt. If he not a 100 percent he shouldn't play.

HognVA

Even if he feels fine he should not play. the quicker you come back the more susceptible you are to another concussion. I am surprised there are not NCAA rules about this. Even the NFL is getting better about post concussion treatment.

lookinupthehill

Ole Miss' secondary is not that good.  The strength of their defense is their front 7.  In fact, they are last in the SEC in pass defense.  If we're going to do this, we need to do it through the air.  I vote we drop London Crawford from our starting receiver corps and burn their DBs with a little Joe Adams show and some help from DJ and Childs.  (maybe a little Crosby Tuck?)

BayofPigs

Quote from: lookinupthehill on October 21, 2008, 12:21:37 pm
Ole Miss' secondary is not that good.  The strength of their defense is their front 7.  In fact, they are last in the SEC in pass defense.  If we're going to do this, we need to do it through the air.  I vote we drop London Crawford from our starting receiver corps and burn their DBs with a little Joe Adams show and some help from DJ and Childs.  (maybe a little Crosby Tuck?)
and some lucas miller. I'm willing to sacrifice speed for some sure grabs and moving those sticks. This isn't London's best season, but I think he'll step it up his senior season.

Silver Hog

hope he buckles up that 2nd chin strap for nutt!

razorsharptusk

I say IF BP plays Smith.  He ought to avoid all plays up the middle.  Let him roll to the outside in a sweep and leave him the option of getting out of bounds vs taking a hit.  I know it's risky, but if he is going to play regardless, give him some options.  Just the fact of him being in the backfield will make the defense have to cover.
GO HOGS!!

razorsharptusk

We also havn't seen much from Wright.  I'm still hearing this guys has some great speed once he gets the ball.
GO HOGS!!

SemperHawg

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 21, 2008, 01:03:18 pm
We also havn't seen much from Wright.  I'm still hearing this guys has some great speed once he gets the ball.
I noticed he got some good seperation from the D a couple of times when I was at the Florida game.  Do we have a QB with the arm, and throwing ability to utilize that seperation properly? Probably Not!

OnYourToes

If he is good to go then I say we use him as a decoy, something Nutters never did with DMAC or FJ.  Start out with a few runs by Smith, off tackle and try to aviod up the middle, then play action all night long. 

Fake dive left, boot right, CD will have DJ in the flat or JA in the middle on a deep cross.

Lather - rinse - repeat.

Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

LRCentralTiger

Is anybody aware of the test they give for a person who has a concussion?  I ask because I knew a female soccer player who hit her head auto accident receiving a concussion and she had to take several test and had to pass them before she would be released to play. 

Any medical folks on the site?  What are these test called?

cbjagman

While I do hope that MS plays, and plays well, Saturday I would still prefer that BP
keep the status to himself. Should keep ole Nuttbag guessing up until game time. Also
ought to make Dale even goofer than he always is on the sidelines!

hognc2010

there was a story on Sunday night about second impact syndrome and I
hope everyone takes a moment to google and read  these articles
because for me no game is worth it if he isn't ready to play
http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/features/health_safety/second_impact_syndrome.shtml

Hogbody

Quote from: hognc2010 on October 21, 2008, 08:02:14 pm
there was a story on Sunday night about second impact syndrome and I
hope everyone takes a moment to google and read  these articles
because for me no game is worth it if he isn't ready to play
http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/features/health_safety/second_impact_syndrome.shtml

It all depends on how bad the concussion was and how he develops.

The coaches likely won't know themselves for the next couple days, but he certainly shouldnt play if he is not 100%  The brain is one thing you don't mess with.

jamie72921

The brain is a terrible thing...........
Bless your heart

newera

Quote from: want2be on October 20, 2008, 07:11:21 pm

Remember the offense we have is the b plan, because there was never an A plan.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

Hogbody

Quote from: newera on October 21, 2008, 08:56:48 pm
Remember the offense we have is the b plan, because there was never an A plan.

Plan B is expensive, like 60 dollars a pack

imhogwild2

Bring back slobbering hog. Member Since 12/1/2006

bobthebuilder4600

want2be

OK....it is Wednesday and still no news ?

I thought we would get word after Mike's
          tests yesertday ?