Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who was the biggest "I was almost a Hog!"?

Started by Hoggy Potter, January 27, 2006, 07:45:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggy Potter

I'm thinking Penny Hardaway/Al Jefferson/Jason Kidd in bball

Vince Young/Adrian Peterson in football
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

brooks74

Andre Igudola is a recent name that comes to mind in basketball.
In football, Adrian Peterson is the biggest i remeber lately. 

rricha

hogfan064

Imagine our team now with Al Jefferson.  He made the right move though.

Hogz87

We almost got J-Kidd?

The others I knew about but not Kidd.

VentHog

Duffer

Penny Hardaway.

Wasn't he the one who at his announcement pressor started to put a Hog cap on, then put it down to put on the Memphis High cap?

Hoggy Potter

If I'm not mistaken, It came down to us and Cal. for J. Kidd.  He wanted to stay close to home.
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: Hoggy Potter on January 27, 2006, 07:45:56 am

That's easy: DeAngelo Williams.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

3kgthog

I wouldn't really consider Adrian Peterson almost a Hog. Everyone and their brother knew that he was an OU lock for the majority of the recruiting "battle". Didn't he even have unofficial visits to OU like eight times? He visited other places simply to see some free football.

The two guys that stand out, regardless of sport, are Al Jefferson and Andre Iguodala. Getting Iguodala to honor his commitment could've helped Stan tremendously and Jefferson was the difference between being an NCAA tourney team last year instead of this year. We're talking about two lottery picks here. Olu Famutimi they were not.

brooks74

It has to be Slick Shelley, man he made a huge impact at Tennesee this year  ;D

Arkapigdiesel

Emeka Okefor would have also made a difference here.

For me, Anfernee Hardaway comes to mind as one that I wish we would have gotten.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

hogsanity

Quote from: Highway Hog Sign on January 27, 2006, 08:25:14 am

You are joking are you not?  Williams put up huge numbers in a nothing conference for a team who basically said that is he would ocme they would recruit no other rb's to compete with him for PT.  Thats why he went to Memphis.  He did not want to come here and compete with Talley, Cobbs, Poole ( who was a bust ) and D. Howard.  He is a good back, but I doubt his production would have been significantly more than we got from the TB position in the same time period. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RushLimboar

If he would have come to Arkansas, I don't think there is any question that Nolan Richardson (or his self-appointed successor) would be coaching at Arkansas today.  In looking at Nolan's tenure, the difference between his decent/good teams and great/F4 teams were the big men (ironically enough).  With Okafor on the squad for 3 or 4 years, esp. when Joe Johnson was there I think you are looking at a couple of sweet 16 runs and maybe even a Final 4 trip.

I don't think there is another "almost" recruit that you can so directly point to as the turning point for either program.

OPPHOG

The Warren Players that were supposed to be so awesome!!

What a Joke!!

Fat Phil got served up a some bad tomatoes on that one!!

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

OPPHOG

SHABAZZ 4 SURE

You can say all you want about MM DW and Mcfadden,

SHABAZZ was a FREAK!!!

The most Athletic Ability I have ever seen,  Too bad he was a JUG HEAD

He the fatsest High School player I have ever seen or played againist!!!

bald hog

QuoteSHABAZZ 4 SURE

You got that right. I saw him play in the championship game against Texarkana. He was everywhere. I think he was even calling the plays. He was undoubtedly the best HS player I ever saw. Just dumb as a sack of rocks.

brooks74

Quote from: bald hog on January 27, 2006, 09:30:33 am
QuoteSHABAZZ 4 SURE

You got that right. I saw him play in the championship game against Texarkana. He was everywhere. I think he was even calling the plays. He was undoubtedly the best HS player I ever saw. Just dumb as a sack of rocks.

Is that insulting to the bag of rocks?

hogsanity

To hear from some here, who do seem to know alot of stuff, we had a great shot at him until he had some clandestine meeting with some tx boosters and a preacher.  I think his family suddenly had no financial worries.  (wink wink, snicker, heads looking the other way ).  But you hear this every time we lose a guy to Tx, so who knows.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

aristotle

Okafur, Othello Herrington, Al Jefferson, Igoudala, Chris Lofton (could surely use him right now), Quincy Lewis, Penny Hardaway in Hoops

Peterson, Deangelo Williams in Football.

Shabazz as ATH but he wouldn't have qualified.

oldbooniehog

It is Emeka Okafor, hands down.

He was going to Arkansas, by all accounts. In fact, UConn's signing of Okafor was rather stunning news at the time it happened.

Okafor won a national championship for UConn.

Okafor went on to be the NBA Rookie of the Freakin' Year.

If Nolan had landed Okafor, and added Andre Igoudala, my goodness......the mind boggles.

pfrg999

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 27, 2006, 10:11:08 am
It is Emeka Okafor, hands down.

He was going to Arkansas, by all accounts. In fact, UConn's signing of Okafor was rather stunning news at the time it happened.

Okafor won a national championship for UConn.

Okafor went on to be the NBA Rookie of the Freakin' Year.

If Nolan had landed Okafor, and added Andre Igoudala, my goodness......the mind boggles.

DAMN that would have sent us to the moon...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

ridgeback

D. Williams was the whole package . Personality, talent, good kid on and off the field. He's going to be awesome in the NFL. Don't know if he really would have put us over the top though, but I don't doubt that he would have been key in getting us to some sort of bowl game the last couple of years.  No doubt though that Okafor saves Nolan's a$$. He probably let the world know that Nolan didn't have it anymore.

B517

ridgeback

Doe's anyone know whatever happened to BIG NASTY'S brother. I remember all the hype of him coming to UA. Got sick or something, I can't remember?

natebracey

Quote from: Hoggy Potter on January 27, 2006, 08:05:34 am
If I'm not mistaken, It came down to us and Cal. for J. Kidd. He wanted to stay close to home.

Seeing how Kansas and California were the only two schools that got home visits, I really don't think Arkansas was even in the mix.

Hogeye_Pierce

How about one Karl "The Mailman" Malone. He actually SIGNED an SWC letter of intent with us but switched to La Tech on national signing day. Would have been on the team with Kleine and Alvin Robertson. Who knows, Eddie might not have "crawled to Lexington" if "The Mailman" had been on the Hill.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

aristotle

Derrick Fisher was not that highly recruited out of Parkview. That '92 team of theirs was probably the best Arkansas has ever seen. 7 guys went on to play D-1. Dion Cross was the MVP of the state tourney and went to Stanford. He would have been a big time player for the Hogs but I think quality education weighed in to his decision.

Parkview had:
Taylor - Murray St
Harris - St Louis U
Robinson - Florida st then transfer to Ok St
Fisher - UALR
Cross - Stanford
Flannigan - Auburn

Boner

Quote from: hogsanity on January 27, 2006, 09:47:31 am
To hear from some here, who do seem to know alot of stuff, we had a great shot at him until he had some clandestine meeting with some tx boosters and a preacher. I think his family suddenly had no financial worries. (wink wink, snicker, heads looking the other way ). But you hear this every time we lose a guy to Tx, so who knows.

This what you hear every time we lose any recruit.  They were bought.  Everyone cheats but us.

I will say this about Texas.  I [CENSORED] hate them, hate them, hate them.  I live in Texas.  But Mack Brown doesn't have to buy players.  They had 20 guy committed before this season even started.  If they even visit anywhere else they have their offer pulled.  There's so much freakin' talent in Texas that UT has to turn them away.  They don't have to pay anyone to go there.

hungtran72701

SuperHog

Shabazz and Boobie Miles...at least according to the book, we were recruiting Miles along with every big school in the country.
Where is the outrage over the lack of an investigation by the UA into harassment of a student-athlete by a booster with EXTREMELY close personal ties to the head coach and his brother?  Instead we pay the brother $175K to act like a coach, be closely involved with the team, and occupy the same office even though he RESIGNED for "health" reasons.

WichitaStateRazorback

January 27, 2006, 11:00:36 am #33 Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 11:04:54 am by BigNasty56187
If you want to win, put Boobie in!

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: hogsanity on January 27, 2006, 08:42:56 am

You are joking are you not? Williams put up huge numbers in a nothing conference for a team who basically said that is he would ocme they would recruit no other rb's to compete with him for PT. Thats why he went to Memphis. He did not want to come here and compete with Talley, Cobbs, Poole ( who was a bust ) and D. Howard. He is a good back, but I doubt his production would have been significantly more than we got from the TB position in the same time period.

Am I joking?!  That's pretty insulting for an innocent post, isn't it?  People are putting names on here, and I think DW is very deserving of being on this list.

He's going to go first round in the NFL Draft this year, which is something that Talley and Cobbs failed to do.  If NFL scouts think he's first round material, (which means they think he'll be a feature back on the highest level), then he sure would have been good enough to play for the Hogs.  He would have been the best RB on our team, I have no doubt about that.
The best Razorback recruiting breakdown on the Internet (and it's FREE): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xx_dGJc2FHXQHuqZDtmA_OQ4LbZBnXAwmNcPzRErpPU/edit?usp=sharing

ColinRagan

I think Basil Shabaz was the best athlete the state has ever produced.  He was like all state in football, baseball, track, and basketball.........but dumber than a bag of hammers.  He would of had the misfortune of playing on some not so great football teams at the U of A though.  I think he was a year ahead of Lunney, but he could have made enough of a difference on some of those teams to put them over the hump

Apathy

ridgeback

Cobbs had all the talent in the world, great backfield dancer, still waiting for that whole to open up. D.  Williams was all MU had. The D's committed everything they had to stop him and he still ran all over the field. Would have been nice to see him and MJ in the same  backfield together

hogsanity

Did I say D. Williams was not a good back?  He may have a great NFL career or he may go the route of many big college backs that do jack nothing in the NFL.  Only time will tell.  He just ahppened to come along at a time when the state had more than 1 big time back.  And he was a fraid of competition, or he would have gone to a big time school and tried to win a national title.  Instead, he went to MU where he faced no competion on his own team or in the opponents they played. 

Hawg414

ive followed more closely over the years the basketball recruiting rather than football - just too many names i guess - but these are some who may not have gone on to become the next michael jordan, but at the time the recruiting battles were going on, they certainly appeared to be:

okafor - thought we had him
michael lloyd - committed TWO different times...yet signed with syracuse
hardaway - obvious reasons
othella harrington - aristotle stole my thunder above.. i thought for sure id be the only one to pull that name out
jelani gardner - gonna be nolans "big" point guard
jerod ward - smells fishy that he ended up at michigan
darius rice - miami

as for football...shabazz is the first and only name that comes to mind.  ive said it before and im saying it again...the early 90s would have been a lot different on the hill with shabazz in pads.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: hogsanity on January 27, 2006, 08:42:56 am

You are joking are you not? Williams put up huge numbers in a nothing conference for a team who basically said that is he would ocme they would recruit no other rb's to compete with him for PT. Thats why he went to Memphis. He did not want to come here and compete with Talley, Cobbs, Poole ( who was a bust ) and D. Howard. He is a good back, but I doubt his production would have been significantly more than we got from the TB position in the same time period.

uhhhh, joking...... I dont' think so...... Deangelo will be playing in the NFL next year....   I think it worked out for him in the long run....... Cobbs will be watching Williams from somewhere other than the field....

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: hogsanity on January 27, 2006, 11:23:01 am
Did I say D. Williams was not a good back? He may have a great NFL career or he may go the route of many big college backs that do jack nothing in the NFL. Only time will tell. He just ahppened to come along at a time when the state had more than 1 big time back. And he was a fraid of competition, or he would have gone to a big time school and tried to win a national title. Instead, he went to MU where he faced no competion on his own team or in the opponents they played.

If I recall correctly, DeAngelo was committed to play for the Hogs.  I think he backed off that commitment at the last minute.  So, that would certainly qualify him as an "Almost" Hog.

He finished his career ranked with the most all-purpose yards in NCAA history and third most rushing yards.  I don't care what school you go to or what conference that school is in, that is impressive!  Do not discredit his accomplishments just because he played at Memphis.  He would have been a STUD no matter where he played.

Honestly, I don't care if you believe he was good or not.  I thought the way you responded to my post was smarmy and uncalled for.

HouTxRzbck

Quote from: aristotle on January 27, 2006, 10:08:06 am
Okafur, Othello Herrington, Al Jefferson, Igoudala, Chris Lofton (could surely use him right now), Quincy Lewis, Penny Hardaway in Hoops

Peterson, Deangelo Williams in Football.

Shabazz as ATH but he wouldn't have qualified.

You could put Adrain Peterson the basketball player (Pulaski Oak Grove/Mr. Basketball of Ark.) in their with Quincy Lewis.  He went to Oklahoma State instead.  He had a solid career.  Tore his ACL in the NBA Combines.

Do you all remember in '95 the basketball talent that UA did not sign and they all went to other big time schools.  I remember there were like 4 top recruits.  All I can think of it Lewis and Peterson, can't remember the others.
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

hoggystyle78

razrken

Jim Platt had to be begged to take Fisher at UALR.  He wasn't recruited at all by Arkansas.  Quincy Lewis came on a visit and did not like what he saw.

razrken

Our Fed Ex envelope wasn't big enough for Keith Lee....lol

SultanofSwine

I would have loved to see the 92 Parkview team go against the 80 West Memphis team. I really think WM would have taken that one though.

aristotle

Quote from: SultanofSwine on January 27, 2006, 12:19:22 pm
I would have loved to see the 92 Parkview team go against the 80 West Memphis team. I really think WM would have taken that one though.

I don't know much about that W. Memphis team. I believe Parkview finished 4th in the nation per USA Today in '92. I played for Southside FS in 1992 and we went 30-2 (losses to Corliss at Russellville, and Parkview in Champ. game). Parkview was the best high school team I ever saw or played against, by far. Well coached, highly talented, and fundamentally strong all around. BTW, I had the unenvious position of having to guard Fisher. They ran him off 2 big man screens all night, baseline corner to corner. Dion Cross, the MVP, didn't miss a shot if I remember correctly.

Highway Hog Sign

Quote from: razrken on January 27, 2006, 12:05:34 pm
Jim Platt had to be begged to take Fisher at UALR. He wasn't recruited at all by Arkansas. Quincy Lewis came on a visit and did not like what he saw.

Derek Fisher!  Oh crap, man..why didn't I think of him?  It would have been a case of the rich getting richer, but he may have made a difference in that 95 championship game!

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: PBD on January 27, 2006, 08:28:59 am
Emeka Okefor would have also made a difference here.

For me, Anfernee Hardaway comes to mind as one that I wish we would have gotten.

I''m going to have to agree with this one. Emeka Okafor.