Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andrew Gordon Crystal Ball

Started by hogwood, December 29, 2015, 01:34:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Recruiting is boring and uneventful right now unfortunately... Really wish there was more to be talking about besides the eternal argument on CMA & staff's recruiting woes/successes.

But I just looked at Andrew Gordon's page on 247 and he has 5 new CB picks this month (including one from the reliable Jerry Meyer) all to Arkansas. Maybe something has changed with his situation. Hopefully some new news will leak out soon. Anyone know anything?

scruf

I know these are All-Star game highlights but he's an athletic-looking big:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1lzhn-i6o

The_Iceman

Watching those highlights, there is just something off with him. He's athletic, but with the ball there is a little bit of raw clumsiness to him.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 29, 2015, 02:27:02 pm
Watching those highlights, there is just something off with him. He's athletic, but with the ball there is a little bit of raw clumsiness to him.
He has played basketball for 1 year.

The_Iceman

The Hogfather

I like Gordon, but he seems like a guy we'll have to wait on for a couple of years.  I want Micah Thomas.  What's his deal?

mbgrulz

Quote from: jry04 on December 29, 2015, 02:47:28 pm
He has played basketball for 1 year.
That is knock against him to me. I know some feel guys like that are full of potential, but I like guys who've played their whole life and understand the nuances of the game.

That said, he looks decent in that video. Not a skill guy for sure, but could have value as a raw athlete early, then hopefully he develops and gets more skilled.

jry04

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 29, 2015, 03:28:44 pm
That is knock against him to me. I know some feel guys like that are full of potential, but I like guys who've played their whole life and understand the nuances of the game.

That said, he looks decent in that video. Not a skill guy for sure, but could have value as a raw athlete early, then hopefully he develops and gets more skilled.
Don't blame you, but when we need bigs and have scholarships available, I think he is worth the risk. He was a football player, switched to basketball, and picked up faster than anyone expected. They decided with his size and ability, basketball was his future. He did well in AAU, and I guess teams decided the potential was there so teams like FGCU, Memphis, Ole Miss, and Xavier offered him. I know Auburn, FSU, and Arkansas have recruited him, with Arkansas offering him. Not sure if we are still recruiting him or if those other schools offered him, too. I honestly forgot all about him until this thread popped up. There definitely have been some predictions coming in the last few weeks in favor of the Hogs, though.

razorhog52

I like Gordon. He reminds me of a Larry Satchell right now with the ability to develop better.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 29, 2015, 03:05:47 pm
I want Micah Thomas.  What's his deal?

He's not listing Arkansas among his leaders (and/or places he wants to visit). As of early December, he wants to visit LSU, Louisville, and Maryland.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1620533-micas-thomas-adds-new-offers
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hogimus Prime

Good leaping and decent timing on the shot blocking. Looks about 6'7" to 6'8".  Wouldn't be a bad big to play behind Kingsley/Thompson then Gafford/Thompson.  With the way this staff has done development wise with he would be a good late signee

limousin

Reminds me of Derek Hood's shot blocking ability and size. If he has a couple years to gel with the team he could fill a big role on the team. Moses was really awkward when he first arrived, but today he is having a very nice start to the year. If he develops in a similar fashion it would be huge for the middle. I do think from the video he looks better suited as more of a 4 than a 5.

hogwood

Thanks for the video. Yeah he looks like more of a 4, maybe 6´9¨. That competition seems kinda weak, but he could develop into a good player. He seems really quick and has decent handles for his size. Would not want to be relying on him for any contribution for the first 2 years though. Definitely a project player. Wouldn´t mind getting him if we have room but I would like to get someone who can contribute next year and get us back to the 27 win range.