Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Playoff Team Are You Rooting For?

Started by NuttinItUp, December 05, 2015, 11:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Playoff Team are you going to root for?

Clemson
34 (10%)
Alabama
224 (66.1%)
Oklahoma
17 (5%)
Michigan State
64 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 339

HawgLife4Eva

Bottom line is: If you don't like Alabama (or any SEC team) then fine, root against them. It doesn't really matter one way or another anyway who you root for.

However, if you think that SEC teams losing out-of-conference games is good for Arkansas, then you are being illogical and delusional. Perceived strength of conference (thereby influencing SOS) is even more important now in the playoff era of college football.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on December 08, 2015, 01:14:35 am
Bottom line is: If you don't like Alabama (or any SEC team) then fine, root against them. It doesn't really matter one way or another anyway who you root for.

However, if you think that SEC teams losing out-of-conference games is good for Arkansas, then you are being illogical and delusional. Perceived strength of conference (thereby influencing SOS) is even more important now in the playoff era of college football.

Exactly.  I'll admit that had Iowa managed to get in, I wouldn't have been able to root for Bama during the game if they faced off, but I certainly realize how much better it is for us for Bama to win the game.

I'm not convinced the SEC was that great this year, and Bama was the best team but not by leaps and bounds.  They will have to convince me.  We saw some losses and near losses to some REAL surprises in OOC play this season.  Maybe those were "relax" games that sneaked up on teams, but it was alarming to see it happen multiple times.  Then out of the blue, a struggling USCe team challenged Clemson...so who knows??

My hope is that Bama's defense is as stifling as we think it is, and with preparation time, they will prove defense wins championships.     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

RME

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2015, 10:21:54 pm
Rooting for Bama to win is like rooting for the neighborhood bully, who has whooped your son for 9 years, to beat up a kid from another neighborhood because "he makes our neighborhood look good".

Bingo.

The SEC has already established itself pretty well. If no SEC team wins an NC within 3 years, and in year 4 Arkansas goes 12-1 by winning the SEC Championship and is subsequently held out of the playoff because "the SEC is weak now," then come talk to me.

As I said earlier, the last thing I want is Bama to win it. Whoooo caressssss what the Cowherd's of the world think about the SEC. Is Colin Cowherd on the CFP Committee?

Secondly, as I said earlier, if a recruit has it down to Arkansas and Bama, and Nick Saban has just added yet another ring to his desk that is right in front of the recruit's face, how does that help Arkansas? Moreover, if a big-time recruit has it down to say, Bama and Clemson, why would any Arkansas fan not want Bama to miss out on a huge recruit?

It's delusional to think that a 1-loss (or even 2-loss in some cases) SEC team would be held out of the playoffs because the "SEC is getting weaker."

jkstock04

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2015, 11:27:59 pm
It's not a strawman. I've read ppl talk about needing Bama to win to make the conference look good. As I said, no one thinks Vandy, or Kentucky, or SCAR, or even us are powerhouses because Bama wins.
I think people somehow connect Bama winning championships to making us look more legit since we play them every year (never mind the fact that it's been nearly a decade since we have beat them). I used to be the same way...but I'm over the Bama/Nick Saban envy. It's just getting old.

I'm hoping for the scenerio of OU completely embarrassing them again.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

scorekeeper

Question to all those saying Bama needs to win. Lets say that Bama wins the NC and the recruits that we are after sign with Bama because their parent get a chance to touch the ring and hold the trophy. How does that help The Arkansas Razorbacks? Iowa proved that you don't have to play the toughest competition to be in the hunt. We win our division and conference the rest will take care of itself.  We don't need Bama to win any darn thing.

I love college football and the bowl season but this is one part that I hate the most...when Hog fans turn into Bama fanboys. Then most of those same fans get pissed when Arkansas kids sign to play for "our enemy".
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: scorekeeper on December 08, 2015, 09:23:26 am
Question to all those saying Bama needs to win. Lets say that Bama wins the NC and the recruits that we are after sign with Bama because their parent get a chance to touch the ring and hold the trophy. How does that help The Arkansas Razorbacks? Iowa proved that you don't have to play the toughest competition to be in the hunt. We win our division and conference the rest will take care of itself.  We don't need Bama to win any darn thing.

I love college football and the bowl season but this is one part that I hate the most...when Hog fans turn into Bama fanboys. Then most of those same fans get pissed when Arkansas kids sign to play for "our enemy".

1.  Our share of SEC money increases.

2.  A win over the national champions increases exposure

3.  How does Arkansas benefit if any other of the three teams win?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

RME

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on December 08, 2015, 09:45:51 am

When FSU won it all a couple years ago, did everyone all of a sudden think the ACC was the conference to beat? And did mid-tier teams (let's be honest for a second, Arkansas has been a mid-tier team recently) such as Georgia Tech and Boston College all of a sudden gain so much exposure and were then feared by out of conference teams because they were in the same conference as the national champion?

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 08, 2015, 09:49:46 am
When FSU won it all a couple years ago, did everyone all of a sudden think the ACC was the conference to beat? And did mid-tier teams (let's be honest for a second, Arkansas has been a mid-tier team recently) such as Georgia Tech and Boston College all of a sudden gain so much exposure and were then feared by out of conference teams because they were in the same conference as the national champion?

Nice try.  If Arkansas can defeat Alabama as the national champion, they will get extra exposure.  The last time I checked neither BC or Georgia Tech defeated FSU after their national championship.  Had they done so and continued their success with other teams, they would have the exposure.

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

RME

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on December 08, 2015, 09:55:51 am
Nice try.  If Arkansas can defeat Alabama as the national champion, they will get extra exposure.  The last time I checked neither BC or Georgia Tech defeated FSU after their national championship.  Had they done so and continued their success with other teams, they would have the exposure.

If ifs and buts...

So Clemson beating Auburn by 2 touchdowns in 2011 after Auburn won it all...a Clemson team that ended up going 10-4...I'm sure they loved that flash-in-the-pan exposure that they received after beating the National Champs.

Point is, no one cares about it the next season. When Michigan State beat Ohio State, what was talked about more? Michigan State knocking off last year's national champion, or Michigan State and Ohio State's playoff chances?

scorekeeper

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on December 08, 2015, 09:45:51 am

1. Most fans care nothing about the money. Your ticket price to the games won't decrease. I also doubt that CBB or any of the coaching staff will be at home yelling RTR.
2. A win over a team that made the CFP increases exposure. A win over a ranked team increases exposure. Going undefeated for most of the season increases exposure...see Iowa. Getting guys to the NFL increases exposure. Having a guy that is a contender for the Heisman increases exposure. Winning a national championship increases exposure. Recruiting in the top 5 increases exposure. Winning the SEC West increases exposure. Winning the SEC increases exposure.

Bama has most of the points that I listed, so how does it help us by Bama winning the NC? We only need for the conference to be competitive. We win the division and the conference and we will be in the playoffs.
3. They neither help nor hinder. Can fans of the sport watch a game without pulling for a specific team? Especially one that some call our enemy.

jkstock04

Is it actually verified that Arkansas makes more money if Alabama wins the national championship?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: scorekeeper on December 08, 2015, 10:00:15 am
1. Most fans care nothing about the money. Your ticket price to the games won't decrease. I also doubt that CBB or any of the coaching staff will be at home yelling RTR.
2. A win over a team that made the CFP increases exposure. A win over a ranked team increases exposure. Going undefeated for most of the season increases exposure...see Iowa. Getting guys to the NFL increases exposure. Having a guy that is a contender for the Heisman increases exposure. Winning a national championship increases exposure. Recruiting in the top 5 increases exposure. Winning the SEC West increases exposure. Winning the SEC increases exposure.

Bama has most of the points that I listed, so how does it help us by Bama winning the NC? We only need for the conference to be competitive. We win the division and the conference and we will be in the playoffs.
3. They neither help nor hinder. Can fans of the sport watch a game without pulling for a specific team? Especially one that some call our enemy.

Any fan that does not care about the share of money and how much it takes to run a program is simply one who sits down in front of the TV and has little investment in the program.

You can pull for any team you like.  The point is that from a financial and exposure standpoint, it benefits Arkansas for Alabama to win.  You have to look at the entire panorama and not a snapshot.

RME

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 08, 2015, 10:01:52 am
Is it actually verified that Arkansas makes more money if Alabama wins the national championship?

College Football Playoff Revenue-Distribution Policies
The following estimates of the CFP revenue distribution are based on preliminary calculations for the 2015-2016 season and are only approximate projections of potential revenue distribution from each component:

(1) Each conference will receive $300,000 for each of its schools when the school's football team meets the NCAA's APR for participation in a post-season football game. Each independent institution will also receive the $300,000 when its football team meets that standard.

(2) Each of the 10 conferences will also receive a base amount. For conferences that have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose or Sugar Bowl, the base combined with the full academic performance pool will be approximately $51 million for each conference. The five conferences that do not have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose or Sugar Bowls will receive approximately $79 million in aggregate (full academic pool plus base), which the conferences will distribute as they choose. Notre Dame will receive a payment of $2.58 million if it meets the APR standard; the other two independents will share $618,241.

(3) A conference will receive $6 million for each team that is selected for the semifinal games. There will be no additional distribution to conferences whose teams qualify for the national championship game. A conference will receive $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the arrangement (in 2014-2015, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls).

(4) Each conference whose team participates in a playoff semifinal, Cotton, Fiesta or Peach Bowl, or in the national championship game will receive $2.08 million to cover expenses for each game.

Additionally, certain conferences in the Football Championship Subdivision conferences will receive $2.34 million in aggregate.

TOM "tbw1"

The conference teams share equally.

TOM "tbw1"

The conference teams share equally.
Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 08, 2015, 10:04:37 am
The following estimates of the CFP revenue distribution are based on preliminary calculations for the 2015-2016 season and are only approximate projections of potential revenue distribution from each component:

(1) Each conference will receive $300,000 for each of its schools when the school's football team meets the NCAA's APR for participation in a post-season football game. Each independent institution will also receive the $300,000 when its football team meets that standard.

(2) Each of the 10 conferences will also receive a base amount. For conferences that have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose or Sugar Bowl, the base combined with the full academic performance pool will be approximately $51 million for each conference. The five conferences that do not have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose or Sugar Bowls will receive approximately $79 million in aggregate (full academic pool plus base), which the conferences will distribute as they choose. Notre Dame will receive a payment of $2.58 million if it meets the APR standard; the other two independents will share $618,241.

(3) A conference will receive $6 million for each team that is selected for the semifinal games. There will be no additional distribution to conferences whose teams qualify for the national championship game. A conference will receive $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the arrangement (in 2014-2015, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls).

(4) Each conference whose team participates in a playoff semifinal, Cotton, Fiesta or Peach Bowl, or in the national championship game will receive $2.08 million to cover expenses for each game.

Additionally, certain conferences in the Football Championship Subdivision conferences will receive $2.34 million in aggregate.

Ryan, what is your source?

RME

jkstock04

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 08, 2015, 10:04:37 am

Thanks, that's what i figured.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

TOM "tbw1"

HotlantaHog

It may have some small monetary benefit if Alabama wins though the SEC will do fine without it. And the last two times Bama won it didn't exactly cause lots of positive to ripples to Arkansas or other teams. But it sure seemed to help Alabama! So I am skeptical that there is some big benefit.

Clemson hasn't won or even been competitive for several decades, it has a very exciting offense and QB and a coach who is entertaining to watch. I can't think of anything more boring than an Alabama victory over Oklahoma in the finals. Would much prefer Clemson or Michigan State pull an upset.

TOM "tbw1"

RME

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on December 08, 2015, 10:10:08 am
Thanks for the information.

No problem!

I will admit I'm not sure how that $6 million would be spread out among the teams in the conference though...Evenly? Does the SEC itself keep some? Is the distribution weighted somehow?

Point being, at the end of the day after spreading $6 million either 14 or 15 different ways if the SEC itself keeps some, I'm just not sure that amount that goes into Arkansas' pocket FROM THE CFP ALONE is substantial enough to give me reason to root for a division rival to win a national championship. But, as has been said, to each his own.

RME

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on December 08, 2015, 10:14:07 am
BTW, the amount is not too shabby.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12974161/southeastern-conference-distribute-record-435m-revenue-member-schools

Yes, now that's a good paycheck. But that payday encompasses "revenue generated from the SEC Network, televised football, bowl games, the SEC football championship, televised basketball, the SEC men's basketball tournament, NCAA championships and a supplemental surplus distribution," not just Alabama making the CFP and potentially winning the NC.

scorekeeper

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on December 08, 2015, 10:04:34 am
Any fan that does not care about the share of money and how much it takes to run a program is simply one who sits down in front of the TV and has little investment in the program.

You can pull for any team you like.  The point is that from a financial and exposure standpoint, it benefits Arkansas for Alabama to win.  You have to look at the entire panorama and not a snapshot.
So Bama winning increases our exposure but not theirs? Exposure translates to recruits which translates to demand which means they can raise ticket prices and get it because they put a high quality product on the field. Their stadium is larger than ours and their prices are higher so how does the rich getting rich help the teams below them? If we take care of business the entire season the exposure will come. We should never depend on anyone for our exposure that is weak!

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on December 08, 2015, 10:15:42 am
No problem!

I will admit I'm not sure how that $6 million would be spread out among the teams in the conference though...Evenly? Does the SEC itself keep some? Is the distribution weighted somehow?

Point being, at the end of the day after spreading $6 million either 14 or 15 different ways if the SEC itself keeps some, I'm just not sure that amount that goes into Arkansas' pocket FROM THE CFP ALONE is substantial enough to give me reason to root for a division rival to win a national championship. But, as has been said, to each his own.

You don't have to root for a team to win.  Just enjoy the benefits.  Each SEC team gets an equal share.

However, I cannot feature myself ever rooting for OU or Michigan State unless they were playing West Georgia State College of Farming at Opelika.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: scorekeeper on December 08, 2015, 10:17:36 am
So Bama winning increases our exposure but not theirs? Exposure translates to recruits which translates to demand which means they can raise ticket prices and get it because they put a high quality product on the field. Their stadium is larger than ours and their prices are higher so how does the rich getting rich help the teams below them? If we take care of business the entire season the exposure will come. We should never depend on anyone for our exposure that is weak!

One more time.  Yes, it increases Bama's exposure.  However, as you say, if we take care of business, then we get the exposure.  Should any of the other three teams win, we will not defeat them next year if we were to take care of business and win a conference or national championship.

Beating Alabama as national champion would carry more weight nationally that beating an Alabama that lost to any of the other three.

scorekeeper

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on December 08, 2015, 10:28:46 am
One more time.  Yes, it increases Bama's exposure.  However, as you say, if we take care of business, then we get the exposure.  Should any of the other three teams win, we will not defeat them next year if we were to take care of business and win a conference or national championship.

Beating Alabama as national champion would carry more weight nationally that beating an Alabama that lost to any of the other three.
Why don't you understand that the previous season has nothing to do with the current season. Iowa and Ohio St should be the prime example of that. The bottom line is as I have said before, Take care of business win the west and win the conference and the rest will take care of itself.

No doubt we are all free to root for who we want to. I just don't see the logic of turning into a bandwagon fanboy.

Hoginsavga

How true Hog Fans can utter the words "Roll Tide" without puking is beyond me. My choice is anyone but Alabama and, btw, I am a big fan of the SEC. Until we beat AL I will pull for any team playing them.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Hoginsavga on December 08, 2015, 11:01:35 am
How true Hog Fans can utter the words "Roll Tide" without puking is beyond me. My choice is anyone but Alabama and, btw, I am a big fan of the SEC. Until we beat AL I will pull for any team playing them.
If it was Auburn representing the league all of these pro SEC guys would crawfish like Ike Clanton. The 63% pulling for Bama would drop to about 15%. Pulling for bama just fits their agenda. It has nothing to do with benefiting Arkansas.

History says we need bama to be down to win the west. That's a fact. Them piling up another one doesn't help us in the slightest. That gives them excellent forward monentum. It gives us nothing.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: The Divine Swine on December 06, 2015, 09:35:49 am
You were not asking me, but I will answer. Hogs need the SEC to remain dominant nationally speaking for a lot of reasons, but mostly for recruiting. Right now we lose to Bama in recruiting hands down, but because the SEC is so dominant this is alluring to other recruits. They say "Hey, I want to play in the SEC" well that broadens even our prospects. We can beat out the OU's of the region for some recruits because the SEC is so highly regarded. Plus we get more money the more the SEC wins in the post season.

This times infinity.
Unfortunately, many don't get it.
They'd rather be petty.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 07, 2015, 10:22:44 pm
No one thinks Vanderbilt is a powerhouse because Bama wins the national championship.

Durrrrr.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on December 08, 2015, 11:35:07 am
This times infinity.
Unfortunately, many don't get it.
They'd rather be petty.
Actually it makes zero sense. We consistently rank outside of the top 10 in the sec as far as recruiting goes. That's all that matters. Consistently 6th or 7th in the west. If it's helping the other sec schools more than us, then it's hurting us. Get it? We have to play them and beat them.

RME

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 08, 2015, 11:53:40 am
Actually it makes zero sense. We consistently rank outside of the top 10 in the sec as far as recruiting goes. That's all that matters. Consistently 6th or 7th in the west. If it's helping the other sec schools more than us, then it's hurting us. Get it? We have to play them and beat them.

For some reason, people seem to think that a stronger Bama correlates to a stronger Arkansas, simply because of the conference. It's inexplicable, really.

When the SEC ripped off 7 NC's in a row, how exactly did that help Arkansas, other than receiving some money? Other than maybe landing a couple of recruits who wanted to play in the SEC and the only SEC school to offer was Arkansas, how did Florida/Bama/LSU/Auburn winning those 7 NC's directly benefit Arkansas (other than payout)?

Exposure? Okay, well how has that exposure translated?
Association by conference? So, if Clemson wins the NC this year, does that make NC State a relevant school, because they went 7-5 and are in the same conference as the national champion?

NuttinItUp

To everyone saying that Bama is going to steal recruits if they win, what about OU?

They are much closer and I think would be more likely to steal recruits if they won it all.

PonderinHog

What other 7-5 team is being discussed as a legitimate top 20 team?  There's something to be said for being a part of the SEC vs. being apart from it.  As much as I hate Alabama and want to beat their brains in, I do respect what they have accomplished over the years.  The other three teams, not so much.  Don't really care.

The Great Hambino

Alabama over Clemson in the NCG. OU losing is good for us, since we compete directly with them for regional  recruits and kids out of Texas. MSU, well, they are in the B1G which I don't care for at all. Clemson just wishes they were in the SEC, and if we expand to 16 teams, I'd be OK with then joining if we could move Missouri to the west where they belong, though I'd prefer expand our footprint by adding North Carolina and Virginia Tech.

Bama winning means more prestige for the conference, and more money for the Hogs. Its been almost 3 years since the SEC was the national champion. Seems like a long time. The SEC needs to start dominating the playoff games because there may come a time when a 1 loss Arkansas team is highly ranked but not in the SECCG because bama beat us, and we will want to be in the playoff.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 08, 2015, 12:09:30 pm
To everyone saying that Bama is going to steal recruits if they win, what about OU?

They are much closer and I think would be more likely to steal recruits if they won it all.
Who would you rather steal recruits? The team you play every year (that's beat you 9 years in a row) and that dominates your league or the team you've played 3 times in the last 40 years. It's not really debatable.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 08, 2015, 12:09:30 pm

I don't know about that. I haven't done the research but my memory leads me to believe that AL gets more of our top in-state players than OU. Maybe I am not attentive but it seems we have a lot of recruiting competition with AL with them winning, much like the games.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 08, 2015, 12:15:50 pm
What other 7-5 team is being discussed as a legitimate top 20 team?  There's something to be said for being a part of the SEC vs. being apart from it.  As much as I hate Alabama and want to beat their brains in, I do respect what they have accomplished over the years.  The other three teams, not so much.  Don't really care.
You actually make the only rationale argument. Ole Miss is currently the highest ranked 3 loss team. UT is the highest ranked 4 loss team. That is directly tied to the perception that the SEC is the toughest league.

I just don't think that's the best formula for Arkansas to win it. We've been in the league for 23 years and havn't won it. We don't need it to be all world every year. Would yall feel bad if we actually finally won the thing and the perception was that it was the 3rd best league that year. I personally wouldn't care at all.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 08, 2015, 01:19:56 pm
You actually make the only rationale argument. Ole Miss is currently the highest ranked 3 loss team. UT is the highest ranked 4 loss team. That is directly tied to the perception that the SEC is the toughest league.

I just don't think that's the best formula for Arkansas to win it. We've been in the league for 23 years and havn't won it. We don't need it to be all world every year. Would yall feel bad if we actually finally won the thing and the perception was that it was the 3rd best league that year. I personally wouldn't care at all.
We'll burn that bridge when we get there... 

scorekeeper

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 08, 2015, 12:15:50 pm
The SEC is a P5 conference with or without Alabama being in the top 25. If we take care of business by winning the division and conference we will play for the NC. Iowa is proof that you don't have to play a juggernaut schedule to get to be in the playoff hunt... just win the games that are on your schedule and everything else will take care of itself.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 08, 2015, 01:04:05 pm
Who would you rather steal recruits? The team you play every year (that's beat you 9 years in a row) and that dominates your league or the team you've played 3 times in the last 40 years. It's not really debatable.

I would actually prefer that no one steal our recruits...

HotlantaHog

If Arkansas wins the SEC one year rather than Alabama or Florida, it's probable that an 11-1 team will make the playoffs, and maybe even a 10-2 team, who knows?

Some football people will say Arkansas won the toughest conference in the nation. Others though will look at Arkansas winning and say, well the SEC was great when Alabama won X number of championships, but it is obviously down now that Arkansas won.

It's possible that Bama's dominance will rub off to the rest of the SEC ... just as possible when Bama falls, that people will conclude the SEC is having a ''down year.''

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on December 08, 2015, 01:37:53 pm
I would actually prefer that no one steal our recruits...
Wow. What a concept.

Everybody loses recruits. Even big bad bama doesn't get everybody they want.

I'd prefer to lose them to the teams we never play. That was my point.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LMS

MSU, but I think if Bama wins it all, Saban might just decide to retire on a high note.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 08, 2015, 03:17:58 pm
Wow. What a concept.

Everybody loses recruits. Even big bad bama doesn't get everybody they want.

I'd prefer to lose them to the teams we never play. That was my point.

Presumably another championship would not help Bama as much in recruiting ("Oh, look another one.") as a team which hasn't won one in awhile like OU, which would get a bigger bump from it. Also, Bama doesn't recruit head-to-head against us regionally as much as OU does, especially in Texas. Out of the four options, it seems as if Michigan State would cause the least amount of damage to recruiting, if that was the main thing someone was worried about.

Obviously there are other factors people weigh besides recruiting, though. Some people grow up hating certain teams or loving certain teams based on their location or the teams their friends or family like or other factors.

When I take into account all factors that are important to me, personally, I would prefer Bama to win. For all of the things I find important, it makes the most sense. Others will see it differently.

Peter Porker

I'd rather win a down SEC, than be mid-tier in an up SEC.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

I believe if these pro Bama people would be honest they'd say they root for Bama because it gives them something to root for since we've been so far removed from winning titles.

What they don't seem to understand us throughout our history in the SEC the only time we've been good is when Bama has been down. Bama winning doesn't bring us closer to a title.

You can mock Boise all you want, but I'd rather have their last 10 years than ours.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

rickm1976

Have to root for the SEC team.  Y'all who don't are just flat wrong, no matter what argument you might come up with.  You have to root for your conference.  BTW, I hate Bama, and was raised an OU fan (second to the Hogs - and still am) because half my family (including my mom) are Okies.  I'm still for Bama all the way.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 08, 2015, 04:41:45 pm
I'd rather win a down SEC, than be mid-tier in an up SEC.

We should just move to the Sun Belt then, I suppose.