Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rat shot for snakes inside your house

Started by bulldog04, June 05, 2014, 07:19:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog04

I've never had a snake inside my home but I was wondering what the best solution was.  I've never shot a snake with rat shot but if it worked, it would seem like a good idea.

95_alum

I wouldn't shoot birdshot on a snake inside the house. If I had to shoot a snake inside the house, I'd go with those 12ga bean bag rounds to the snake's dome.

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/articles/PO0302beanbag-2-2.jpg

FaytownHog

Just pin the thing down (by the head of course) with a broom handle (so you can stay a few feet away) and get it outside or find something to kill it with. Don't shoot your house up man! lol. But if you DO, be sure to film it so we can all get a good laugh at least.

jim shell

if you have to shoot snakes in your house, something is bad wrong....maybe you need another house... :)

bulldog04

Quote from: jim shell on June 05, 2014, 01:11:49 pm
if you have to shoot snakes in your house, something is bad wrong....maybe you need another house... :)
No I never had one but I've heard of other people.  Just curious

kodiakisland

I've had one or two get in the house before.  Never crossed my mind to shoot them.  Snakes are pretty easy to deal with, even in the home.  Get them outside, then take their head off.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Rzbakfromwaybak

If you are going to use Rat shot inside the house..... try to steer the snake away from your computer, TV, refrig, favorite recliner.... & of course your hunting & fishing stuff (all necessities). Also, be sure to wear shooting glasses....

Bet that most homeowner policies will take a dim view on this kind of lead damage.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

I have pinned them with a broomstick and used rat shot out of a 22 rifle to kill them but I place the muzzle within 3 inches of their heads.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rickm1976

Please don't kill them unless they're poisonous. Just take them outside and turn them loose.  I'd much rather have non-poisonous snakes around than rats or mice.  My wife, however, just says kill 'em all and let God sort them out.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: rickm1976 on June 11, 2014, 10:04:33 am
Please don't kill them unless they're poisonous. Just take them outside and turn them loose.  I'd much rather have non-poisonous snakes around than rats or mice.  My wife, however, just says kill 'em all and let God sort them out.

I love the outdoors, but I am with your wife. I hate any and all snakes!
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

1highhog

Quote from: rickm1976 on June 11, 2014, 10:04:33 am

I'm with you on this.  I was fortunate enough to live in the Country and me and my brothers went all the time in the woods and he'd teach us the things his Dad taught him growing up.  He taught us to hunt at a very early age, including trapping and skinning out and tanning our hides.  He taught us how to catch every kind of snake we'd run into, but would never let us handle the rattlers, he catch them himself, those we ate, and he didn't won't them biting themselves.  As far as Cotton Mouths, they usually just got a quick paddle to the head, or a gig used on them, stinkin creatures, could sure nuff ruin a good frog catchin.

tophawg19

capture stick -take a 4 ft . 1x1 and a boot shoe lace . nail shoe lace to 1 end then drill a hole in the stick about an ins and a half from the bottom and run shoe lace through the hole . it forms a loop that can be pulled tight over their heads . Use this to drag them into a large trash can . take them out and kill them . problem solved . oh and find the hole where they got in and seal it
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

1highhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on June 21, 2014, 06:59:27 am
capture stick -take a 4 ft . 1x1 and a boot shoe lace . nail shoe lace to 1 end then drill a hole in the stick about an ins and a half from the bottom and run shoe lace through the hole . it forms a loop that can be pulled tight over their heads . Use this to drag them into a large trash can . take them out and kill them . problem solved . oh and find the hole where they got in and seal it

This, ^^^^^!!!!!  Main priority, don't won't a big rattler crawling in bed with you and the Missus and her grabbing it thinking you're wanting to get frisky.

Correction, you don't won't the Missus waking up and thinking her fantasy has come true and that you've finally brought her a big hung stud to service her properly.

DeltaBoy

Mom swears by Snake away you get it at AG stores and Wal-Mart.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Big Papa Satan

By all means, capture the snake.

Then release it in your ex's house.

sowmonella

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 07, 2014, 09:59:51 am
Mom swears by Snake away you get it at AG stores and Wal-Mart.

Snake away is crumbled up moth balls.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

SA Hog Fan

Size 10 combat boots have done the job for me. Twice.

pigture perfect

Main place for snakes getting into a home is the Dryer vent. They like the warmth. Don't kill the snakes. Re-locate.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"