Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU named Auburn wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig to the same position

Started by jbcarol, February 14, 2016, 04:40:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Auburn co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig is considered "a serious candidate" to join LSU's coaching staff, according to Auburn Undercover's Ryan Black.

QuoteSU lost defensive coordinator Kevin Steele to Auburn earlier this year. Could LSU now be flipping the script?

LSU added running backs coach Jabbar Juluke to its staff on Saturday, but the team also lost wide receivers coach Tony Ball after one year with the team as he chose to pursue other opportunities.

Juluke holds a reputation as a talented recruiter, as does Craig.

The Auburn assistant is considered of the nation's best in that regard and has previous ties to Louisiana. Craig was a graduate assistant on LSU's coaching staff under former coach Nick Saban in 2004.

hould Craig leave, he would be the fifth coach to leave for another school since the end of the 2015 season, and the fourth to go to another SEC school.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Less than 36 hours after Tony Ball left the team to pursue other opportunities, LSU named Auburn wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig to the same position on the Tigers' staff, the university announced on Sunday.

Quote"Dameyune is a quarterback by nature so he's going to be a tremendous asset to us in all phases of the passing game," LSU coach Les Miles said in a release. "He coached a Heisman Trophy winning quarterback at Florida State and developed some outstanding receivers at Auburn.

"He comes to us with great coaching credentials as well as being a proven recruiter. We look forward to the contributions that he's going to bring to our football program."

In 2012, Craig was named the ACC Recruiter of the Year. Three quarterbacks that he either recruited or coaches turned out to be first-round picks in the NFL Draft.

Craig spent the past three years at Auburn as the co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog  6m6 minutes ago
Dameyune Craig leaves Auburn to become LSU receivers coach, becomes 5th assistant coach to leave since December http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/dameyune-craig-leaves-auburn-to-become-lsu-receivers-coach/article_25e580b8-d36f-11e5-862e-8b3be72ce038.html ...

QuoteDameyune Craig's second stint at Auburn has come to an end.

The Tigers' wide receivers coach and co-offensive coordinator — and former record-setting quarterback — accepted a position on Les Miles' staff at LSU. Craig was named LSU's wide receivers coach, LSU announced late Sunday afternoon. Craig replaces former LSU assistant Tony Ball, who parted ways with the program on Saturday.

"I want to thank the Auburn family for all of their love and support over the years," Craig said in a statement released on LSU's official website. "My decision to make this career move is in no way a reflection of Auburn or the Auburn family. It is strictly a professional decision. It's about growing as a coach and, hopefully, one day becoming a head coach.

"Auburn has played a pivotal role in my professional and personal life. Words can't express how grateful I am to the Auburn family and all of the incredible people who are part of that wonderful community. I will forever be indebted to the opportunities that Auburn gave me."

Craig was on head coach Gus Malzahn's staff since January 2013, when he left a job at Florida State shortly after Malzahn took over the reins of the program. He served as the team's wide receivers coach and co-offensive coordinator — as well as one of the Tigers' strongest recruiters.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger  20m20 minutes ago
Updated again: Dameyune Craig calls his departure from #Auburn a "professional decision," wants to a head coach http://bit.ly/1Th8ZZr  #LSU

jbcarol

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea  3h3 hours ago
James Crepea Retweeted Brendon
Auburn fans taking the news of Dameyune Craig's departure as well as expected

Brendon‏@lbrendon42
@JamesCrepea this is a freakin joke

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens ‏@matthewcstevens  3h3 hours ago
Craig's comments must be translated as "I didn't think I could be hired as a head coach as an offensive assistant on Gus Malzahn's staff."

tophawg19

this could be troublesome . he has also coached QB's in the past with success . Let's hope Les doesn't remember that
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB  4h4 hours ago
#LSU hired #Auburn co-OC Dameyune Craig as WR coach. Don't be surprised if Auburn pursues #ASU asst Kodi Burns: http://foxs.pt/1oC3hWO

BPsTheMan

jbcarol

Potential candidates to replace Dameyune Craig on Auburn's staff

QuoteKodi Burns, Arizona State running backs coach
The former Auburn quarterback and receiver was recently hired at Arizona State, where he joined Malzahn's two coaching friends: head coach Todd Graham and offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

Burns is light on experience...

Bill Blankenship
The former Tulsa assistant and head coach is serving as a consultant, but has ties to Malzahn. The two coached together for the Golden Hurricane. Like Malzahn, he got his start coaching high school football and is also a Fort Smith native.

Tim Horton, Auburn running backs coach
A veteran coach and a power player on the recruiting trail, Horton could move to receivers and also receive a nice pay raise (he's one of the lowest-paid assistants on staff).

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 10m10 minutes ago

.@KevinScarbinsky is sharing his thoughts here on Dameyune Craig's move to LSU – what do you think? http://ow.ly/Ylr0g

Scarblog:

QuoteLet me get this straight.

Dameyune Craig, former Auburn player, quarterback, star, is leaving his assistant coaching position at Auburn in what appears to be a lateral move at best to SEC West rival LSU.

Craig's title at Auburn: Co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach.

His title at LSU, according to the school's Sunday release: Wide receivers coach.

Hmmm. Guess everything wasn't Gucci for Craig at Auburn after all.

Of course, Craig said nothing but positive things about Auburn in a prepared statement, and Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said nothing but positive things about Craig in his prepared statement - with one exception.

Craig's statement didn't say anything about Malzahn...

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 3h3 hours ago

Dameyune Craig's move to LSU will be painful for Auburn on multiple fronts http://es.pn/1PWZBsZ

QuoteBATON ROUGE, La. -- Certain coaching departures hurt more than others.

When a position coach makes what appears to be a post-signing day lateral move, it is typically little more than a line in the sports transactions fine print for most fans. But when that coach is leaving his alma mater -- a school where he ranks among the most beloved players of the past 20 years -- for a division rival? That's when such a move starts to sting.

This was the scenario in play when Auburn wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig accepted the same job on Les Miles' LSU staff...

jbcarol

Craig, a Prichard, Ala., native began his collegiate coaching career as an offensive graduate assistant at LSU in 2004 and worked as a special teams assistant with the Miami Dolphins in 2005.

QuoteIn three seasons on Florida State's staff, Craig helped the Seminoles to a 31-10 record. FSU won the 2012 ACC championship and defeated Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl. Craig's time in that role helped produce the No. 1 and No. 2 recruiting classes in 2011-12 and he recruited 2013 Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston to the Seminoles. Craig was recognized as the 2012 Scout/FoxSportsNet ACC Recruiter of the Year as well as the Rivals.com ACC Recruiter of the Year.

In addition to his recruiting duties, Craig served as quarterbacks coach, where he helped develop E.J. Manuel and Christian Ponder, both of which ended up being NFL first-round draft picks.

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 4h4 hours ago

Auburn players react to Dameyune Craig's departure for LSU http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/02/auburn_players_react_to_dameyune_craig_lsu.html ...

QuoteDameyune Craig signed one of the better crop of receivers in the country Feb. 3.

Eleven days later, he bolted for LSU.

How did Auburn's four new receivers, including four-star receiver Nate Craig-Myers, respond? Auburn's newcomers have not returned messages from AL.com, but mid-year enrollee Kyle Davis appears to be taking the lead on social media for the talented crop of incoming recruits.

He tweeted Sunday: "We still locked and loaded, ain't nothing change." The message was re-tweeted by fellow incoming receivers Eli Stove and Craig-Myers.

Craig-Myers, a four-star prospect, committed to Auburn on National Signing Day. He chose the Tigers over North Carolina after de-committing from the Tigers last summer. A source close to Craig-Myers said he is "doing good" since the news of Craig's departure.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger 5h5 hours ago

LSU will introduce new coaches Jabbar Juluke & Dameyune Craig at a news conference at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

jbcarol

James Crepea@JamesCrepea

Dameyune Craig: "I don't look at it as a lateral move. ... Getting to work for coach Miles is definitely not a lateral move."

jbcarol

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea 12m12 minutes ago

Dameyune Craig says he'll be responsible for recruiting Mobile area for LSU
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/02/lsu_jabbar_juluke_dameyune_cra.html ...

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger 22m22 minutes ago

Craig says Les Miles hasn't spoken to him about working with #LSU's QBs. At least not yet.

jbcarol

Les Miles tried to hire Dameyune Craig 12 years ago

QuoteMiles shared a story Wednesday about the early moments into his tenure at LSU in which he tried to retain Craig, then a graduate assistant, before he eventually followed Nick Saban to the Miami Dolphins.

"He came into my office and said, 'Listen, if you want to make full-time ...'" Miles recalled.

"You have to give me some time to make my decision," Miles responded to Craig in 2004.

"It takes me a little bit of time to figure out what I ought to do," Miles said on Wednesday after introducing Craig as LSU's new wide receivers coach.

Craig returns to LSU after a three-year stint at SEC West rival Auburn and three years at Florida State under coach Jimbo Fisher.

"He's a quarterback by nature and understands every position on the field," Miles said of Craig. "He coached under Jimbo Fisher, who's a great coach and mentor. He coached several first-round draft picks at quarterback at Florida State. He comes from the SEC. He comes with the knowledge of how to compete at this level.

"When you're a quarterback, you know every play. You know what all 11 guys are doing on that play. That kind of knowledge makes for great coaches."

While Craig does boast plenty of knowledge at the quarterback positions, he coached wide receivers the last three years at Auburn.

That job title will remain the same at LSU, though Craig remains open to whatever is asked of him.

jbcarol

James Crepea ‏@JamesCrepea 10h10 hours ago

Auburn loses another member of its support staff
http://bit.ly/1KFX728

QuoteGus Malzahn has another vacancy to fill on Auburn's support staff.

Erik Link, who served as an analyst for the last three seasons at Auburn, was recently hired as head coach at Roosevelt High School in his native Des Moines, Iowa.

Former analysts Bobby Bentley and Kyle Krantz went to South Carolina along with defensive graduate assistant Blake Gideon...

Auburn also saw former director of player personnel Casey Woods depart to become wide receivers coach at UAB.

Malzahn has been busy replenishing his support staff over the last two weeks.

jbcarol

With Dameyune Craig aboard, LSU is diving into Mobile for top high school prospects

QuoteDameyune Craig walks into a classroom or a gymnasium at St. Paul's Episcopal School in Mobile, Alabama. He scans the area, smiles and turns on that hometown charm.

"He can call kids by their names," said Mask, football coach at St. Paul's. "He can say, 'I know your mom. I know your dad.' "

This isn't only reserved for St. Paul's.

Craig, LSU's new wide receivers coach, is a celebrated son of Mobile. He's to Mobile what Frank Wilson is to New Orleans, one recruiting reporter said.

His ties run deep in Alabama's coastal metro area, high school coaches there said, and he's a familiar face expected to boost LSU's recruiting in a talent-rich place just a three-hour drive from Baton Rouge.

"Dameyune will definitely be a plus for LSU in the recruiting battle here," said Ben Blackmon, football coach at Mobile's Spanish Fort. "I think LSU can have a presence in Mobile."

LSU didn't only hire a former record-setting Auburn quarterback and a successful recruiter and assistant at South Alabama, Florida State and Auburn. It also got a guy who gives the Tigers the in they might need to begin diving into one of the south's most football-crazed areas.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger 2h2 hours ago

AM | Dameyune Craig has "green light" to tutor #LSU QBs. He also details WR positions, mid-year guys' progress - http://bit.ly/1PeaSjL

QuoteCam Cameron has given new receivers coach Dameyune Craig the green light.

During a brief Q&A with The Advocate earlier this week, Craig says he's assisting in tutoring LSU's quarterbacks, including Brandon Harris, with the approval of the Tigers' offensive coordinator.

"I don't want to step on peoples' toes," said Craig, a former Auburn quarterback LSU plucked from AU last month to replace Tony Ball. "I understand that you don't need a million people talking to the quarterbacks, but he's given me the green light any time I've seen anything to give the guys advice."

A week into spring practice, Craig continues to harp on his receivers group about physicality, he said in the interview, and he went into detail about the touch passing drills he's given Harris.  He explains where certain receivers are playing – inside or out – and how the mid-year enrollees are progressing, specifically a position move with Dee Anderson.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 2h2 hours ago

Here's #LSU's Dameyune Craig's response when asked if #Auburn's Gus Malzahn chose Rhett Lashlee over him: http://ow.ly/103WAs

QuoteLSU receivers coach was asked during The Opening Kickoff on WNSP Sports Radio 105.5 FM if he felt Malzahn chose offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee over Craig because of Lashlee's extensive background in the offense. He was asked if the pre-existing relationship between Malzahn and Lashlee hindered his offensive opportunities at Auburn.

Here's his response:

"Auburn was my school. I played there, graduated from there. The deal was I left Florida State while I was coaching quarterbacks, coaching under my mentor (Jimbo Fisher) to come to Auburn and a deal wasn't made about that.

"I knew what I was getting myself into to come back and help my school. It wasn't about Gus Malzahn. It wasn't about Rhett Lashlee. It wasn't about offense. It was about Auburn University. It was about Auburn University being 3-9, and having the worst season in the history of college football, and I wanted to come back and change it. Just like I did as a player. When I chose Auburn out of high school, Auburn was 4-8.

"... People can say what they want to say but the fact of the matter is that's my university. And the reason I came back was for that reason only. The reason I left (Auburn) was to continue my career and my development as a coach. Nothing more, nothing less."

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 31m31 minutes ago

D.J. Chark offers insight on Dameyune Craig's impact and the LSU quarterback battle http://sec.news/22V0kmE

QuoteDameyune Craig was hired away from Auburn to help mentor LSU's talented wide receiving corps, but the first-year assistant hasn't completely forgotten his roots.

A former SEC quarterback at Auburn, Craig has utilized his experience under center to help alter the mindset of LSU's wide receivers.

That has made a major difference quickly, Tigers junior receiver D.J. Chark said after Thursday's spring practice session.

"This spring, I feel like a lot of the receivers like me, Malachi (Dupre), Jazz (Ferguson) and Tyron (Johnson), we know what Brandon (Harris) is thinking," Chark said of LSU's quarterback. "Having Coach Craig talk to us from a quarterback's standpoint is showing a lot on the field.

"It's very helpful because if we're running a route, we know where the quarterback is looking to try and put the ball. He (Craig) telling us what they're looking for really helps, and it shows when we're running one-on-ones with the defensive backs or seven-on-seven or team pass. All of those things show up because that's what Coach (Cam) Cameron is teaching in the quarterback room."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JamesCrepea/status/738379895093366784

QuoteCraig left his alma mater for the same position at LSU shortly after National Signing Day. He got off to a good start on the Bayou this spring and had input on the quarterback position, which he played at Auburn and coached at Florida State, as well as the offense as a whole.

"He's got a quarterback's mentality in terms of how he looks at a play," Miles said. "It always start with formation. He's trained as well to lift that position group as anybody that I've had. He'll be special."

Miles believes Craig, who agreed to a two-year deal worth $550,000 annually, will be able to move up the coaching ranks.

"I absolutely can," Miles said. "I think he's a coordinator and soon-to-be head coach at some point in time."

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger ‏@RossDellenger 3m3 minutes ago

AM | Mainbar from SECMD, D1: #LSU and AU traded assistants.

"LSU got the better end of that deal," says one analyst http://bit.ly/29Jv9pP

QuoteHOOVER, Alabama – Marcus Davis is envious of LSU receivers.

It has nothing to do with Travin Dural's speed or Malachi Dupre's length.

It has everything to do with their position coach, Dameyune Craig.

"That's a guy the receivers at LSU are going to love," said Davis, Auburn's senior receiver who Craig recruited to the Plains and coached for the last three years. "He's got a great personality. He's a great guy. He wants the best for the guys around him. I think it's always good to have somebody like that, a positive person around you, a positive role model, a guy that actually played in the SEC. It's going to be great for those guys to have him."

LSU and Auburn, two bitter division rivals, traded coaches this spring. Craig left Auburn for the same position, receivers coach, at LSU – and 50,000 more dollars a year. Kevin Steele left LSU for the same position, defensive coordinator, at Auburn – and a lengthier, guaranteed contract.

Call it a coaching swap.

"I think LSU got the better end of that deal," said Booger McFarland, a former LSU defensive lineman and current SEC Network analyst. "It's not even close, man."

What's Steele bring to Auburn? McFarland says a confusing defense.

"Man, the (LSU) defense struggled a lot under him," McFarland said. "I think his system was a little too complex. Hopefully he can simplify it down for Auburn, but I wouldn't expect that."

Tigers replaced Steele, a 58-year-old journeyman of an assistant, with Dave Aranda, a 39-year-old, innovative assistant known in coaching circles as a mastermind of defense. A handful of coaches turned down Auburn's offer before the school hired Steele, and the Tigers won a fight over Aranda with teams like Tennessee and Southern Cal, swiping the coach from Wisconsin.

They upgraded, right?

"I don't know because we haven't seen him in the SEC," said Andy Staples, college football reporter for Sports Illustrated. "The thought is, give him LSU's players who are – we're going to find out what they are compared to Wisconsin's players pretty soon – "

Gus Malzahn said Steele's presence had players "flying around the field" and "having fun" during spring practice.

"When Coach (Will) Muschamp went to take another head coaching job, I really wanted somebody that was familiar with our conference," Malzahn said. "I wanted somebody that was a true professional, somebody that had the same philosophy that I have, and it really – all of the boxes fit."

Miles and his players have made clear that Craig fit the boxes for LSU.