Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Math: Why 7 or 8 Wins is NOT a "Down Year" for Arkansas.

Started by oldbooniehog, September 19, 2017, 09:10:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Quote from: 12247 on September 20, 2017, 09:32:26 am
Oldbooniehog is posting correctly but not thinking correctly.  Arkansas must correct its root problem and that problem is hiring bad coaches, for our team, over and over. 

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting it to change.

Maybe what is "bad" is not the hire, or the hiring officials, but the expectations.

Gotta get to the "next level" before achieving the one after "next."

If OBH has his math working then UA is a 6-ish win team in the SEC era. That means 7-8 wins is the next level. And that means 9+ happens only when we master 7-8.

I really appreciate the OP.

It is not about "settling." It is about realizing that you have to walk before you run.

How many of y'all expected your newborn child to call the hogs, walk to the concourse to get you a soda during a TV timeout, and your wife (fresh from delivery) to run to the fridge for a kobeer and a couple of dawgs so you don't have to dislodge from the recliner?

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 22, 2017, 03:45:04 pm
Except that would be 1 full game above the programs all time win %, and .5 above the win % since 1958. So we want to set the floor above what, on average, has been maybe not the ceiling but definitely close.

Yes because we should be looking toward the future, not the past.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

axharbor

Hogs weren't paying a massive contract all those years either. Maybe we just want better than what we've always had.  We can win consistently and I think 8 wins per year at a minimum is what will make me happy. Sure we will be down some years but we will be up others... 

Hogwild

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 19, 2017, 09:52:10 pm
A 7 win season means 6-6 with a win in a low level bowl game or a 7-5 regular season with a bowl loss.  2-6 in conference gets you to 6-6 most years.  How is that not only acceptable, but in line with expectations for any fan?

this is how I feel

moses_007

Quote from: root_hawg on September 22, 2017, 02:44:04 pm
You won't ever be satisfied...
Yes I can be.  I was extremely satisfied with the football program during the Holtz and Hatfield years, and the last couple of years with Petrino.  This ship can be returned to national prominence with the right coach, and some great offensive players.

oldbooniehog

Quote from: moses_007 on September 22, 2017, 07:45:13 pm
Yes I can be.  I was extremely satisfied with the football program during the Holtz and Hatfield years, and the last couple of years with Petrino.  This ship can be returned to national prominence with the right coach, and some great offensive players.

Yeeeah, man.....it's just around the corner! If we could only fire one more coach....wait until next year!

We've been waiting on next year since 1964!

Jek Tono Porkins

I think most fans can tolerate 6-7-8 win seasons if the team is competitive. 2014 was a 6 win regular season, but the team went toe-to-toe with top competition, never gave up, and at the least provided a little hope for the future. The offense showed good flashes and the defense was the best we had in a decade. You had the feeling that even though it was a 6 win team, they played at the top of their talent level.

What pisses people off is when they see a massacre like the Auburn game last year or a completely inept football team like TCU this year with the perception that the team isn't playing to their full potential. Then the tables start to turn. What got Nutt fired wasn't really his record. It was the fact that he underachieved with the talent he had. I mean for God's sake the man had THREE running backs that were NFL-starter caliber and still went 8-5.

Has Bielema underachieved with the talent he's had? I don't know if that's the case, but I do know that there have been several games over his tenure here where he has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung