Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After a few days to reflect, read posts and hear call in shows it seems obvious.

Started by hobhog, March 21, 2018, 12:26:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MakingPlays

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 22, 2018, 05:32:34 pm
Your posts are actually hilarious. Good lord you're out of touch.

I'm actually a lot more in touch than you are, you don't know me.   Mike Anderson will be the coach here for the foreseeable future.  For that to change something would have to horribly go wrong.  But, by all means carry on.  You know more than me clearly.  I'm not even going to say anything else.  It's pointless to try to have a civil conversation with some of you.

HogBreath

Quote from: Sivad on March 22, 2018, 09:21:11 pm
Sad but true. Just as we were warned: An Anderson hire means no pressure, no questions, no requirement to produce wins. He can never be fired. Just be Mike Anderson and bring back nostalgic memories of Nolan before he declined.
He's NolAnderson.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Kevin

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 22, 2018, 05:50:47 pm
I'm told that Mike Anderson will decide when he's no longer the coach at Arkansas. He won't be fired but supposedly he will retire if he thinks he's not moving the program forward. The word is he's pretty excited right now because he believes that recruiting has picked up. He also thinks there will be less cheating because of the FBI probe which, over the next few years, will level the playing field for those coaches who run a clean program.

i said it the day he was hired. hired a guy we will not fire

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GuvHog

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2018, 08:39:32 am
i said it the day he was hired. hired a guy we will not fire

Exactly. Mike could have gone the last 7 years without his Hogs reaching the NCAA Tournament and it wouldn't have made any difference. His job would still have been secure.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

steveaustin69

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 23, 2018, 08:36:29 am
The combination of (1) Mike's ties to our program, (2) how he runs our program currently, and (3) his average of 21.5 wins a year with three NCAA Tournaments have given the leadership in our athletic department enough of a comfort level not to make a change in hopes of winning a couple more games in March.

I'm not saying he can't be fired; given the right set of circumstances, any coach can. It's just that those circumstances haven't been present so far, and likely never will be.

I don't understand why people think this is ok and/or acceptable.

hobhog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 23, 2018, 08:36:29 am
The combination of (1) Mike's ties to our program, (2) how he runs our program currently, and (3) his average of 21.5 wins a year with three NCAA Tournaments have given the leadership in our athletic department enough of a comfort level not to make a change in hopes of winning a couple more games in March.

I'm not saying he can't be fired; given the right set of circumstances, any coach can. It's just that those circumstances haven't been present so far, and likely never will be.

Finally someone explains why they feel he won't be fired.

But I just am shocked that any major program would have this attitude. I don't think he has a 50% approval rating with the fanbase and the only reason the fans started showing up again was because of Gaffords emergence and our senior laden team. Two years ago we were lucky to see 7000 people in BWA some games. With the disappointing season this year I think he will have to win back the fanbase and with next years team it could be a slow ugly start. I just don't see why you'd settle for a average program when you have a powder keg fanbase dying for more.

It will be interesting to see how next years season pans out. I still think he needs to go if no Madness but apparently some think they are satisfied up there and won't make a change. We shall see.

Atlhogfan1

The FBI investigation added an extra layer of protection.  It was the APR.  Pelphrey left troublemakers or attitude problems. Didn't have a practice facility.  Didn't know Portis would leave early.  All of those ran out so its now we don't cheat but our competition does. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hobhog on March 23, 2018, 08:48:40 am

But I just am shocked that any major program would have this attitude. I don't think he has a 50% approval rating with the fanbase and the only reason the fans started showing up again was because of Gaffords emergence and our senior laden team. Two years ago we were lucky to see 7000 people in BWA some games. With the disappointing season this year I think he will have to win back the fanbase and with next years team it could be a slow ugly start. I just don't see why you'd settle for a average program when you have a powder keg fanbase dying for more.

It will be interesting to see how next years season pans out. I still think he needs to go if no Madness but apparently some think they are satisfied up there and won't make a change. We shall see.

Just Keep Watching! The fans are going to fall in love with this team next season. Most people that I speak to are glad that this season is over and that the seniors are moving on. Some of this is on the coaching staff and some accountability is on the players, this team lost too many games simply because the other teams outworked them. The program is trending upward but they just haven't gotten that big break to make a run in the tournament.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hobhog on March 23, 2018, 08:48:40 am

I don't think the majority of fans are as unhappy as the general tone around Hogville. I think the approval rating among the very invested fans who post on forums like Hogville and following recruiting closely is probably less than 50% right now, but that's a much smaller slice of the fan pie.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 23, 2018, 08:55:16 am
The FBI investigation added an extra layer of protection.  It was the APR.  Pelphrey left troublemakers or attitude problems. Didn't have a practice facility.  Didn't know Portis would leave early.  All of those ran out so its now we don't cheat but our competition does.

You're forgetting the SEC has improved!

Atlhogfan1

steveaustin69

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 23, 2018, 09:04:23 am
Just Keep Watching! The fans are going to fall in love with this team next season. Most people that I speak to are glad that this season is over and that the seniors are moving on. Some of this is on the coaching staff and some accountability is on the players, this team lost too many games simply because the other teams outworked them. The program is trending upward but they just haven't gotten that big break to make a run in the tournament.

I wouldn't mind still being in the tourney. Maybe that's just me.

Kevin

fans not on hogville, still get the news from the propaganda machine in Fayetteville.  my pops talked to a guy at the baseball game last weekend, and the guy just repeated "Anderson has never had a losing season" . When my dad told the guy about hardware, the guy said he did not know that.

that is the beauty of hogville, the truth will be exposed, whether you like it or not.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

cram224

Quote from: cram224 on March 22, 2018, 01:52:18 pm
Who was the main recruiters for Nolan during his first 8 years at Ark? When did CMA take over as the top assistant for Nolan?
Could making CMA his main top assistant have lead to the demise of Nolan? Nolan, early years had some great recruiters and after watching "Forty Minutes of Hell". CMA was busy with other duties helping with Nolan.

Kevin

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 23, 2018, 10:56:16 am
Yes, but whose “truth?”

I think most Arkansas fans want three things out of Razorback athletics: (1) programs that win, and by that I don’t mean win championships; (2) coaches who they like and see as one of them; and (3) programs that are relatively clean, with little off-field trouble, no NCAA issues, no player-abuse issues, etc.

Mike has checked all those boxes.

then if that is all the want, cut the budget, and cut salaries. and stop asking for money about every other week.

plus, he has off the court problems about every year.

cityhog

Quote from: systemroot on March 21, 2018, 10:18:42 am
Exactly which top notch coach is Arkansas going to get?

This one statement, consistently repeated, makes me want to go postal. If ever there was the 'poor little Arkansas' attitude, this one statement sums it up perfectly.

And for the record, I don't know the answer to the question, but just because you don't know the answer, doesn't mean you don't try to find out at some point.

hobhog

My son is student up there and goes to all the games. He said there is lots of frustration in student section and he personally is ready for a change. And in my circles about half want him gone and the other half are frustrated but don't think he will go anywhere. I have not heard anyone who is adamant he should stay other than my brother who hates change. I honestly think he needs to win early next year or it could be an ugly season.

Atlhogfan1

Yes, but whose "truth?"

I think most Arkansas fans want three things out of Razorback athletics: (1) programs that win, and by that I don't mean win championships; (2) coaches who they like and see as one of them; and (3) programs that are relatively clean, with little off-field trouble, no NCAA issues, no player-abuse issues, etc.

1) Not acceptable for Hog basketball(or baseball) to not at least compete for championships on a national level.  I can see this in football considering what we face in terms of competition and the recruiting disadvantage.  Although a championship at some point(division and/or conference) should still be a goal.  Not acceptable for Hog basketball.  If this is all that is expected then why bother to pay attention?

2) Dumb but not surprising.  This fan base supported Nutt for nearly a decade and some would have welcomed him back post-Bielema.  The Gus campaign has been in full force.  And there was definitely a group who wanted an Arkansas man as AD.

Kevin

Yes, but whose “truth?”

I think most Arkansas fans want three things out of Razorback athletics: (1) programs that win, and by that I don’t mean win championships; (2) coaches who they like and see as one of them; and (3) programs that are relatively clean, with little off-field trouble, no NCAA issues, no player-abuse issues, etc.

sounds like Arkansas state not arkansas

HF#1

Yes, but whose “truth?”

It varies from sport to sport.

Football - We just need to win regularly before we start competing for championships. Gotta be good before you can be great.

Basketball - No reason we shouldn't be top 3 in the league. We have the facilities, the tradition, and the fanbase to be nationally relevant. Our coaching is falling short.

Baseball - Omaha most years with the way we recruit.  Compete for Championships. We are overdue for a ring.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HF#1 on March 23, 2018, 11:16:34 am

Football - We just need to win regularly before we start competing for championships. Gotta be good before you can be great.

Basketball - No reason we shouldn't be top 3 in the league. We have the facilities, the tradition, and the fanbase to be nationally relevant. Our coaching is falling short.

Baseball - Omaha most years with the way we recruit.  Compete for Championships. We are overdue for a ring.

The avid supporters say we are top 3 in the league now.  The issue is that has brought us no national relevancy or achievement. 

HF#1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 23, 2018, 11:22:35 am
The avid supporters say we are top 3 in the league now.  The issue is that has brought us no national relevancy or achievement. 

We are middle of the pack now. Nothing about this season indicates we are the 3rd best team.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

steveaustin69

Agree with this expectation

hobhog

Yes, but whose "truth?"

I think most Arkansas fans want three things out of Razorback athletics: (1) programs that win, and by that I don't mean win championships; (2) coaches who they like and see as one of them; and (3) programs that are relatively clean, with little off-field trouble, no NCAA issues, no player-abuse issues, etc.

You lost me at #1. Don't agree with 2. And 3 should be expected at any program. MA has had his share of off field problems and has not set any standard there.

hobhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 23, 2018, 11:22:35 am

average in an average conference. We will see if that's enough for our new AD next year.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: hobhog on March 23, 2018, 11:08:23 am
My son is student up there and goes to all the games. He said there is lots of frustration in student section and he personally is ready for a change. And in my circles about half want him gone and the other half are frustrated but don't think he will go anywhere. I have not heard anyone who is adamant he should stay other than my brother who hates change. I honestly think he needs to win early next year or it could be an ugly season.

It's shaping up to be another ugly ending.  Could be planes and banners in a parallel to the HDN situation but more likely something new will spring out of growing fan discontent.   

Of course, we're assuming that Mike Irwin's source knows what he is talking about.  He may not.  We don't even know who the source is so we can't judge his veracity for ourselves.   Hopefully, an enterprising media rep will put the new AD on the spot and clear this up.  Then we'll know whether it's time to get out the pitchforks.

Dirty

Tradition?  Late 70's to the mid 90's.  What have we done the last 22 years?  Tradition fades the older we get. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: Dirty on March 23, 2018, 12:29:04 pm
Tradition?  Late 70's to the mid 90's.  What have we done the last 22 years?  Tradition fades the older we get.

Fine. Take away tradition and the point still stands. There is no reason to not be top 3.

hobhog

Quote from: Dirty on March 23, 2018, 12:29:04 pm

Our "tradition" now is to be also rans. I just can't believe the adminstration is happy with that.

Kevin

Quote from: hobhog on March 23, 2018, 12:36:49 pm
Our "tradition" now is to be also rans. I just can't believe the adminstration is happy with that.

I cannot believe fans are happy with it.

Kevin

Entertaining to me when it comes to the hogs is winning.

Losing sucks.

Apparently, losing is fine, as long as the coach is a good man, and the team entertains people.

Kevin

Kevin

And that is the difference between me and you.

I too, stood up and clapped to support the boys after a overachieving baseball season, but was still disappointed and a little mad about somethings that happened in that game.

Big difference between dvh and Anderson. With dvh, there is a feeling we have a chance to get to Omaha, the elite eight. With Anderson, there is almost no chance. 

Plus, you cannot compare success in baseball with basketball, there is a different success measurements.

In basketball, it is about hardware, Anderson has won none at Arkansas.
The can lose the keys to the trophy case with Anderson as head coach.

If Arkansas sponsors a sport, I want the team competing for titles

But I have known for years we are not anything alike

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 23, 2018, 01:19:48 pm
Nope.

My position on Razorback athletics is this, and I'll use our baseball team to illustrate it.

We're favored to make the CWS, but we may not. We may lose in the Fayetteville Regional. If we do, I'll do the same thing I did last year: stand up from my seat in Baum, give them a round of applause and tip my cap in appreciation, be thankful to have had another season of Razorback baseball, and look forward to football.

With or without "hardware."

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 18, 2018, 04:07:57 pm
As long as we're winning 20 games a year and making the Tournament, I believe Mike will retire here.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 18, 2018, 04:15:14 pm

>:(  so [CENSORED] stupid (not your opinion - the situation)

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 18, 2018, 04:24:23 pm
Agreed.

Maybe you were frustrated this weekend still from the loss.  But I don't think you are as okay with this situation as you are letting on today.  Perhaps handling it better than some. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 23, 2018, 02:15:19 pm
On balance, yeah, I'm fine. I invested far too much emotion in Razorback athletics for far too many years. About three years ago, a very wise person said to me, "The Razorbacks will never win enough games to make you happy." She was spot on. Since then, I have tried to keep perspective. I still invest a great deal of my discretionary income for Razorback athletics, more so now than ever before; but I no longer allow the outcome of games to affect me like they once did.

I'm not always as successful as I would like to be. I still get frustrated at times, but I no longer hang on the outcome of a game I have no control over like I once did. I was on the road when we played Butler, so I listened to the game - off and on. When I got home that evening, I deleted the game from my DVR and forgot about it.

I've gotten this way too as I've gotten older.  What is bothering me about this situation is I'm having to force myself to continue to have emotion and interest in this basketball program due to it not mattering whether it accomplishes something or not.  I'm afraid if I stop, I won't come back when this finally ends. 

MNHogFan

We can and should do better, with the money that's in NW Arkansas we can afford any coach...

Kevin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 23, 2018, 02:28:40 pm
I've gotten this way too as I've gotten older.  What is bothering me about this situation is I'm having to force myself to continue to have emotion and interest in this basketball program due to it not mattering whether it accomplishes something or not.  I'm afraid if I stop, I won't come back when this finally ends. 

I am already there. I watched fewer games this year.  Will watch less next year
Thanks coach Anderson

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2018, 04:15:12 pm

I am already there. I watched fewer games this year.  Will watch less next year
Thanks coach Anderson

Didn't watch a game this year.   Less than 2 last year.  Did watch a highlight video of Gafford on YouTube after a friend brought it to my attention.

Had Long made a good hire 7 years ago today the program would have been winning and contending for conference titles the last 3-4 years.  A foundation would be solidly in place for perennial national success.  Like home grown product Corliss did for Nolan, another home grown product has come along who could have potentially propelled the team to a Final Four.

Yet the program can't do better than mid SEC and serve as filler material in a bloated NCAA Tourney.  It's an affront to all things Razorback that the basketball program has been given up on.  Historically, Razorback teams haven't always been at the top but they were certainly doing their best to get there.  And if a coach couldn't get it done then it was next up.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 23, 2018, 05:27:17 pm
I agree. Too bad you did that of which you complain.

I've seen it all before. Late '90s.   Don't need to see it again.

Sivad

Quote from: systemroot on March 21, 2018, 10:18:42 am
Exactly which top notch coach is Arkansas going to get?
Someone several notches above what we have now. Even if, alas, oh the horror, someone not connected to Nolan.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: GuvHog on March 23, 2018, 08:46:56 am
Exactly. Mike could have gone the last 7 years without his Hogs reaching the NCAA Tournament and it wouldn't have made any difference. His job would still have been secure.

It's somewhat ironic that there is a certain logic to your staement.  I had virtually forgotten about basketball until this year's team won just enough to get my attention so I watched more BB than in years and of course the more I watched the more I remebered why I gave up watching MA's always undercoached and sometimes underperforming squads.

Anderson might well be able to coach forever if he avoids ever raising any hopes so that no one takes his program seriously but I doubt he can avoid doing that and every time he raises hopes he inevitably reminds everyone why they shouldn't be raised and dissatisfaction grows.

Mark it down he will get himself pushed up into an associate's ADs job if not out but he's never going to be stable in the HC job.

Atlhogfan1

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2018, 01:29:39 pm
And that is the difference between me and you.

I too, stood up and clapped to support the boys after a overachieving baseball season, but was still disappointed and a little mad about somethings that happened in that game.

Big difference between dvh and Anderson. With dvh, there is a feeling we have a chance to get to Omaha, the elite eight. With Anderson, there is almost no chance. 

Plus, you cannot compare success in baseball with basketball, there is a different success measurements.

In basketball, it is about hardware, Anderson has won none at Arkansas.
The can lose the keys to the trophy case with Anderson as head coach.

If Arkansas sponsors a sport, I want the team competing for titles

But I have known for years we are not anything alike

Would you be critical of Mike if he has only won one SEC championship in 15 years? I think you would.

Kevin

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 23, 2018, 08:43:07 pm
Would you be critical of Mike if he has only won one SEC championship in 15 years? I think you would.

How many trips to Omaha in those 15 years.  How many trips to the super regionals in those fifteen years.

4 trips to Omaha
1 more trip to super regionals
Only missed post season once.

You really wanted to go there

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Kevin on March 23, 2018, 08:51:28 pm
How many trips to Omaha in those 15 years.  How many trips to the super regionals in those fifteen years.

4 trips to Omaha
1 more trip to super regionals
Only missed post season once.

You really wanted to go there

Just one simple question. You still didn't answer. I thought it was about trophies.

Deep Shoat

Two things: Letsroll1200 is a troll.  He says stupid darn for a reaction.

And y'all need to understand, CMA ain't going nowhere.  He is the "make-up call" for Nolan.  He will retire here, no matter how mediocre he continues to be, because Nolan wasn't allowed to.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Peter Porker

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 23, 2018, 08:59:04 pm
Just one simple question. You still didn't answer. I thought it was about trophies.

Still waiting for you to champion diversity on the basketball team.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 23, 2018, 09:04:02 pm
Two things: Letsroll1200 is a troll.  He says stupid darn for a reaction.

And y'all need to understand, CMA ain't going nowhere.  He is the "make-up call" for Nolan.  He will retire here, no matter how mediocre he continues to be, because Nolan wasn't allowed to.

So dumb - the situation not you.