Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An Oldie . . . but classic!

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 20, 2018, 04:04:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

March 20, 2018, 04:04:35 pm Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:58:55 pm by WizardofhOgZ
I was reading the thread about bad calls, and there was quite a bit of chatter about the 2009 Florida game - and with good reason!  We all remember the multiple bogus calls that literally cost us that game.

That reminded me of one call in the game that - ultimately - did go (correctly) our way . . . but not until after much unnecessary consternation. 

In the 3rd quarter, with the tie scored at 13, we faced a third and long (17) from our own 25.  Mallet dropped back, and then hit Greg Childs streaking down the right sideline around midfield.  Childs caught the ball and zig-zagged his way across the field, finally getting tackled just as he (was about to?) cross the goal line.  He fumbled, but immediately got up and covered the ball, clearly before it went out of the back of the EZ.  Touchdown Arkansas - right?

Well, for unknown reasons, the play flummoxed the officials, who reviewed the play for almost 4 minutes before deciding that the TD call was correct.  In the meantime, CBS showed the replay multiple times.  Gary Danielson focused on the fumble, and whether it occurred before or after Childs had crossed the plane of the goal line.  That's bad enough, since it was irrelevant; Childs went on to recover the fumble (if there was one - that is, if he hadn't been ruled to have already crossed the line, after which the play is dead).  So, EVEN IF HE DID FUMBLE BEFORE HE GOT IT IN, it was still a TD.

But poor Verne Lundquist took the cake on this one.  While Danielson's comments were at least somewhat understandable (Childs did at least lose the ball as he was crossing the goal), Verne wondered "if they would rule it an incomplete pass".  In what universe does someone catch the ball, run with it for 40-50 yards, and then be ruled to have not caught the ball if he fumbles when hit?  The answer is no KNOWN universe.

I had remembered that this moment was caught in classic form by an Arkansas family who - by random chance - had decided to record the father of the household watching his Razorbacks play.  When I watch this, I identify so closely with this guy.  I vividly remember watching the game on TV myself, and I was yelling almost the exact same things at the screen during the "review". 

Enjoy!

Pudgepork

I had to force myself to keep watching this  it made me realize the verbal abuse my tvs have gone thru.  Might explain why they don't last more than a few years

Wildhog

I remember that, too.  It was maddeningly hilarious.  Poor Verne.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ugly Uncle

That is absolutely hysterical.  I really hope no one ever films me watching a game.
Retired Radio Host

Wildhog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 20, 2018, 04:38:12 pm
That is absolutely hysterical.  I really hope no one ever films me watching a game.

Same here. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

systemroot

I still don't like the idea of having commentators who are allegedly "unbiased". I would prefer that each school allows one representative from each respective school to meet in the press box and they would be the commentators. With that, that means that the teams would have one commentator each. I remember the Florida game well and they did everything in their power to get the viewer to see that Florida could do no wrong other than the one blatant penalty call that went against Arkansas. Even then, they had to swallow a huge pill in order for that to happen.

Pudgepork

I've mellowed quite a bit but there was a time that I'd watch the really big games alone.  A casual observer would have gotten the impression that I felt I could will them to win as long as I wasn't distracted by questions and conversation.

I'm not as bad but I will be searching for hidden cameras before every game

Pudgepork

Quote from: systemroot on March 20, 2018, 04:43:58 pm
I still don't like the idea of having commentators who are allegedly "unbiased". I would prefer that each school allows one representative from each respective school to meet in the press box and they would be the commentators. With that, that means that the teams would have one commentator each. I remember the Florida game well and they did everything in their power to get the viewer to see that Florida could do no wrong other than the one blatant penalty call that went against Arkansas. Even then, they had to swallow a huge pill in order for that to happen.

There would be fistfights in the booth.   Might be more entertaining than the games

systemroot

Quote from: Pudgepork on March 20, 2018, 04:47:10 pm
There would be fistfights in the booth.   Might be more entertaining than the games

Would have been more entertaining the past two years for Arkansas football.

Swestwill66

" It doesn't matter, he recovered the fumble ! " I know I must have yelled that a hundred times at the TV!  Wife thought I had lost it.
Listening to Danielson did not help !

Wildhog

Quote from: Swestwill66 on March 20, 2018, 04:57:00 pm
" It doesn't matter, he recovered the fumble ! " I know I must have yelled that a hundred times at the TV!  Wife thought I had lost it.
Listening to Danielson did not help !

Didn't Danielson says something like, "He ran 40 yards with it, Verne!"
1909/1964/1965/1977

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Wildhog on March 20, 2018, 04:58:16 pm
Didn't Danielson says something like, "He ran 40 yards with it, Verne!"

Eventually, yes.  But not until Verne had wondered aloud about that issue at least 2 or 3 times.

Swestwill66

It's funny now, but back then I was starting to think it was a conspiracy. It even went through my mind is there some rule that says you can't recover your own fumble if it goes into the end zone. No that's insane!! So what are they looking at? He recovered it in the end zone, touchdown! So what are they trying to figure out ?
  Insanity and anger coming together !

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 20, 2018, 04:59:52 pm
Eventually, yes.  But not until Verne had wondered aloud about that issue at least 2 or 3 times.

In an odd sort of way, Ole Verne might have had a point.  What with the way the officials had screwed up previous call against Arkansas.

I'll defend Verne. . .I've liked him since his Channel 8 days.

Pigsknuckles

This man has a family to effin keep. WPS!!!!
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on March 20, 2018, 04:59:52 pm
I think Vern zoned out for about 15 seconds of that play. What do they call that? A lost time incident?

Dark Helmet Hog

SSFrazorback

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 20, 2018, 06:58:12 pm
I think Vern zoned out for about 15 seconds of that play. What do they call that? A lost time incident?

A senior moment.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogcards

I remember that.  I remember thinking that there must be some new rule, because that's a touchdown.  No matter what.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hoghearted

I so identify with that guy. I get pretty wound up when watching the Hogs play.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 20, 2018, 06:58:12 pm

IIRC, it was longer than 15 seconds.  Seems like he mentioned it, and Danielson ignored it the first time. He then recycled the thought 20-30 seconds later (maybe longer), and this time Gary corrected him. 

Hey, I like Verne too.  Remember him from my first year in Dallas (1976), when he was hosting "Bowling for Dollars".  But he totally lost his mind for a minute or two that day.

Been10Hog

The funny thing is that so many of us reading this can see us all doing the same thing!! ;D

HogShat

That cat in the video kind of looks like Coach Morris! And I think he is my brother separated at birth... That looked eerily familiar. His wife has apparently embraced the suck of being married to a rabid fan. Mine hasn't.

longtimeHogfan

Our dog leaves the room at kickoff and hides under my desk. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Steef

When Verne said that, it was the moment I decided to watch all future football games with the sound turned off.

I had, up to that point, appreciated Danielson calling out the zebras for their obvious bias.

But Verne's incompetence outeeighed everything.

Its far more peaceful during games now.

rljjr

That's exactly how I watch a Hog game, except most of the time I'm standing. I do wonder what it was like when the two egregious penalties were called. I know what I was doing.

hawg1221

Quote from: rljjr on March 21, 2018, 08:14:36 am
That's exactly how I watch a Hog game, except most of the time I'm standing. I do wonder what it was like when the two egregious penalties were called. I know what I was doing.

Oh yes. I can't help myself from standing. I get anxious/nervous and spend most of my time standing and walking around in circles. I remember that call and there really was a lot of stupidity involved in that from the refs to the TV booth guys. They took something so simple to figure out and made it a 4 minute review. I can only explain it as a brain fart.

hogcards

"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

hawg1221

Quote from: hogcards on March 21, 2018, 08:46:25 am
nm

I don't remember too many specifics, but in general every year there's questionable calls that go against Arkansas. They normally occur in the big games, or that's what the fans remember. Some are legit bad calls and some can go either way.

Pigsknuckles

Seems that, under the current rules in that situation, the ball should have been down at the spot of the fumble. Childs recovery would have merely prevented the defense from recovering in the EZ, resulting in a touchback and a change of possession.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Tejano Jawg

So much to enjoy in this clip. Wiz, are we sure that's not YOU?

I'm surprised at the restraint and lack of profanity, but like this guy I'm on better behavior when my kids are around. However, I've never once yelled "cotton-pickin."

I like how he asks Lance (his son?) for his opinion a few times. Other great moves we can identify with—standing up, sitting down, up, down, the occasional sports-walk where you may even leave the room, and a change of wardrobe. And especially the commentary—sometimes talking to the announcers (or screaming at them), sometimes to the officials, sometimes to the coach(es), and other times you're just a 3rd person narrator talking to whomever listens.

No way I'd want to be taped. Watching Hog games are hard enough, it should be a 'safe zone.'
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Dr. Starcs

That guys gotta be a hogville poster right?

Snout team

The most shocking thing about that video is seeing Mark Curles call it a touchdown.  I'm surprised HE didn't call it an incomplete pass.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

RebelliousHog

Admittedly, Verne did acknowledge his mistake when it was pointed out.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

RebelliousHog

How did Verne mistake DJ for Childs. Isn't DJ like 5 foot nothing?

I was impressed with the hustle of Wright who kept playing and made a big block to take out 2 guys.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: HenduHog on March 21, 2018, 02:00:05 pm
Here is the play if some of are too young to remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdIkck3W7Xk

That doesn't seem like all that long ago. Careful!

Ragnar Hogbrok

I'm glad I wasn't at that game.  I got way too upset. My neighbors are worthless since they didn't call the cops out of fear. I was yelling death threats atty the top of my lungs and speaking ill of that crew of official's mothers.

That game (and the auburn "not a fumble but a touchdown ruling) caused me to reevaluate my fandom. I was seriously going to stroke out if I kept going the way I was when watching games.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: HenduHog on March 21, 2018, 07:55:18 pm
How did Verne mistake DJ for Childs. Isn't DJ like 5 foot nothing?

I was impressed with the hustle of Wright who kept playing and made a big block to take out 2 guys.

When someone starts the "most underrated wide receivers" thread (unless there is one and I missed it), Jarius Wright will be on the list. Didn't have the sparks and fireworks of Childs and Joe. But was so consistent...and blocked his butt off!!

redeye

I remember that video and the play.  Also remember how frustrated I was from having to wait, while they tried to find a way to deny an obvious TD, because there wasn't even anything controversial about it.  I thought at the time that was an obvious sign that the refs were trying to screw us.

Yamahog

Lanny

Quote from: Pudgepork on March 20, 2018, 04:20:43 pm
I had to force myself to keep watching this  it made me realize the verbal abuse my tvs have gone thru.  Might explain why they don't last more than a few years
The Gentlemen in the video works for me in North Little Rock.  He is a former Razorback walkon player during the Holtz years, he loves his Razorbacks.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

DeltaBoy

I agree.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusks

When I was younger I could clear a room pretty quick watching Razorback football.  Kids hiding under the bed, dog under the couch and the wife hitting up the yellow pages looking at divorce attorneys.

All that while being on the phone with 4-5 buddies that lived in different cities.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Wildhog on March 20, 2018, 04:43:14 pm
Dude.

Don't invite me. I wrecked my old plasma in Korea. Ended up carrying it to the garbage dump down the street after the 2012 ULM game.

Getting my K-Bar out of the TV wasn't easy. I was aiming for Slappy.
This is my non-signature signature.

Wildhog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 23, 2018, 06:44:35 pm
Don't invite me. I wrecked my old plasma in Korea. Ended up carrying it to the garbage dump down the street after the 2012 ULM game.

Getting my K-Bar out of the TV wasn't easy. I was aiming for Slappy.

That was my wedding day. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

redeye

Quote from: HenduHog on March 21, 2018, 02:00:05 pm
Here is the play if some of are too young to remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdIkck3W7Xk

Well, that's the condensed version, anyway.

Thanks!