Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IMO Defense is going to be much better than offense in 2018-19

Started by swinesation, March 14, 2018, 10:15:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyro3

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 15, 2018, 10:04:29 am
It's hard to perform at a high level consistently when the person you are up against has more talent.

Well crap, there is another season down the drain.

redleg

You better hope the D isn't better than the O, because the O last year sucked, and this is the first year under a new head coach with a new and completely different scheme. And as much as the O sucked, the D was even worse! So if the O is better than our D, Arkansas just might be in trouble!
Because I know that they know that you know that I know. Know what I mean?!  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Mike_e

The D should be good enough to keep us in most games (unless the O really starts turning the ball over - duh I know).

The offense and the season to my thinking will boil down to whether or not our new center gets it in gear early or late.

If we have to keep it simple on our running plays due to line calls or the middle collapsing for too long into the season- well, there you go.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hogindasticks

Quote from: GuvHog on March 14, 2018, 02:01:48 pm
As a whole yes, but the majority of it is at the DE positions. The Hogs will be relatively inexperienced in the interior D line.

Billy Ferrell will fill a gap..guaranteed.

wildhogman

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 15, 2018, 10:04:29 am
It's hard to perform at a high level consistently when the person you are up against has more talent.
don't tell the 78 orange bowl team this. I mean we did LOSE to OU due to lack of talent and our best players being suspended? Don't make up stores, just the facts, just give me the facts. We did lose to them right? because we had way less talent

Al Boarland

Quote from: wildhogman on March 15, 2018, 10:27:57 pm
don't tell the 78 orange bowl team this. I mean we did LOSE to OU due to lack of talent and our best players being suspended? Don't make up stores, just the facts, just give me the facts. We did lose to them right? because we had way less talent

I go with trends and not outliers.  It has served me well for many years.  The trends lead you to believe more times than not the more talented team wins.  That's why underdog stories are so compelling.  They are rare.

oldhawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 16, 2018, 07:07:37 am
I go with trends and not outliers.  It's served me well for many years.  The trends lead you to believe more times than not the more talented team wins.  That's why underdog stories are so compelling.  They are rare.

That '78 Orange Bowl team was closer to Oklahoma's talent level than most people want to admit.  Frank Broyles had left the cupboard stoked with great athletes.  The suspension of key players created a sports media phenomenon that caused the game to be taken off the boards.  Sly Lou fed that perception, used it to his advantage, and pulled a rabbit out of his hat.  The depth of that particular Razorback team was far more talented than perceived.  Give Lou a pat on the back for the coaching job he and his staff did on that particular night.  Unfortunately, he then proceeded to go on the talk show trail instead of working his butt off to maintain the talent level --- IMO.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Tyro3 on March 15, 2018, 11:58:56 am
Well crap, there is another season down the drain.
It would be good if everybody could just see this season for what it is.  This rebuild is going to be a process.  Not an event.  It's going to take time.  And when you change coaches the clock pretty much starts over.

oldhawg

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 16, 2018, 09:12:59 am
It would be good if everybody could just see this season for what it is.  This rebuild is going to be a process.  Not an event.  It's going to take time.  And when you change coaches the clock pretty much starts over.

Under adverse conditions, James Franklin did a pretty good turn around at Penn State:

7-6
7-6
11-3
11-2

Although admittedly, Penn State had not dropped in talent level as much as Arkansas.

IMO, the coaching talent is there (at Arkansas) now, the key is going to be recruiting the next few years. 

jgphillips3

It's really pretty simple.  Abysmal coaching and inept leadership by Bielema turned a team that was talented enough to win have gone 5-7, 9-4, 10-3, 9-4 and 7-5 into a team that went 3-9, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6 and 4-8.  Just good coaching by Morris will correct that part of it.  Then, IF Morris can upgrade the talent over the next 5 years, you have a legitimate shot at a very special season.  However, just by having a competent and dynamic coach, we will be 2 games a year better than we have been with the same talent.  Bielema was just historically bad.

Al Boarland

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 16, 2018, 01:46:16 pm
It's really pretty simple.  Abysmal coaching and inept leadership by Bielema turned a team that was talented enough to win have gone 5-7, 9-4, 10-3, 9-4 and 7-5 into a team that went 3-9, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6 and 4-8.  Just good coaching by Morris will correct that part of it.  Then, IF Morris can upgrade the talent over the next 5 years, you have a legitimate shot at a very special season.  However, just by having a competent and dynamic coach, we will be 2 games a year better than we have been with the same talent.  Bielema was just historically bad.

So, if CCM wins 7 games this season CBB would have won 5?

IronHog

Quote from: wildturkey8 on March 15, 2018, 10:38:32 am
That sounds like a losers mentality. 

Houston Nutt got hammered 70-17 and Pete Carroll wondered why he didn't have any Jamaal Anderson's and Darren McFaddens
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 16, 2018, 02:17:56 pm

Blocking and tackling will fix many sins.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

bennyl08

Quote from: oldhawg on March 16, 2018, 10:54:13 am
Under adverse conditions, James Franklin did a pretty good turn around at Penn State:

7-6
7-6
11-3
11-2

Although admittedly, Penn State had not dropped in talent level as much as Arkansas.

IMO, the coaching talent is there (at Arkansas) now, the key is going to be recruiting the next few years.

PSU had 18 NFL draft picks in the 5 years leading up to Franklin taking over. Further, there wasn't any major drop off with 6 of those picks coming in the last 2 years before Franklin took over.

In contrast, The hogs have had 21 draft picks over the past 5 drafts. Admittedly, this isn't the 5 draft classes before Morris since the 2018 draft hasn't happened yet. We've had 8 draft picks over the past 2 classes as well.

PSU had dropped to lower talent than Arkansas has. Heck, so long as Ragnow gets drafted, that puts the hogs as having as many players drafted in the years leading up to Morris as PSU had leading up to Franklin.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jgphillips3

oldhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 16, 2018, 04:14:29 pm
PSU had 18 NFL draft picks in the 5 years leading up to Franklin taking over. Further, there wasn't any major drop off with 6 of those picks coming in the last 2 years before Franklin took over.

In contrast, The hogs have had 21 draft picks over the past 5 drafts. Admittedly, this isn't the 5 draft classes before Morris since the 2018 draft hasn't happened yet. We've had 8 draft picks over the past 2 classes as well.

PSU had dropped to lower talent than Arkansas has. Heck, so long as Ragnow gets drafted, that puts the hogs as having as many players drafted in the years leading up to Morris as PSU had leading up to Franklin.

Makes one wonder if the turn around at Arkansas could be sooner rather than later?

bennyl08

Quote from: oldhawg on March 16, 2018, 06:09:48 pm
Makes one wonder if the turn around at Arkansas could be sooner rather than later?

There ample reasons why it could be. Of course, there are ample reasons why it won't. I've posted a lot about why it could be sooner rather than later, and fwiw, that is the scenario that I think will play out when it is all said and done. That said...

1. We have the physical talent, but the team mentally gave up this past season. The 2013 team had no business only winning 3 games, but suffered from the mental hangover of 2012 team.

2. My above post is only looking at the number of players drafted. You should also keep in mind that a 2nd round pick is generally a much higher caliber player than a 7th round pick. I glanced but didn't go into depth and PSU didn't have any first round picks, but had a number of picks in the 2-4th range while most of our picks were in the 5-7th.

3. Three to four NFL picks per year puts you on a different tier in the Big 10 than it does the SEC.

4. Even if we do have the talent and even if we did hire the right coach for the job, sometimes those two simply don't mesh. Take the Buffalo Bills several years back. They had bar none the best 4 starting DL in the entire NFL along with at least upper level LB, CB, and S. They hired Rex Ryan who was a proven defensive guru, though with questionable overall results as a HC. However, that stellar Bills defense was built for a 4-3 defense and struggled immensely with Ryan's 3-4 schemes.

5. Worst case scenario is that we don't have the right coaching staff. In which case, one of two things will happen. Scenario one is a Houston Nutt scenario (both in his early years here and at OM). The coach will have good initial success with somebody else's players but struggle later on. The other scenario is that they don't hit the ground running and after several years are still just walking, much less jogging.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 16, 2018, 01:46:16 pm

I think that part of our problem is not having enough NFL Draft Quality players on the defensive side of the ball. Arkansas always seems to have good to really good offensive players, but the trend of having more NFL quality players on the defensive side of the ball shifted during the 2003-2007 time frame. During the 2004-2008 period of time we had 9 future NFL players on our roster. But move to the 2005-2016 (2017 NFL Draft) and we never had more than 7 on our roster at any given time and most of the time, it was fewer than 6.

When you are competing with a team like Alabama who has had just two years over that same time period where they haven't had double digit NFL future draftees on their defensive roster, you are fighting an uphill battle.
Go Hogs Go!

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 16, 2018, 02:17:56 pm
BB's win percentage at Arkansas was 46%. His conference record was 27%. Based on a 12 game season, you can multiply 12 x's .46 and you'll get 5.52.

Bert would've been lucky to win 5.52 games next year, as he was trending downward. And even if he did, I feel fully confident that CCM would've beat that by 2 games.

3kgthog

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on March 14, 2018, 04:34:00 pm
If Cornelius doesn't work off the 30lbs that Herb put on him he won't be a factor that can be depended upon. Players that can't shake off a defender and run to open spaces fast won't get much playing time.

Those 30 lbs won't matter. No one is ever the same after an Achilles injury. It's destroyed the careers of much better Hall of Fame level athletes. You don't just lose one step. You lose two steps.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 18, 2018, 09:50:28 am
BB's win percentage at Arkansas was 46%. His conference record was 27%. Based on a 12 game season, you can multiply 12 x's .46 and you'll get 5.52.

Bert would've been lucky to win 5.52 games next year, as he was trending downward. And even if he did, I feel fully confident that CCM would've beat that by 2 games.

Not worth debating. It's pure speculation.