Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorWild

I was in Starkville during our Sugar Bowl run year.  I was in the upper deck that time amazed at how loud that stadium was.  So, last night, I was in section 3 row 9 fully expecting for the sound to be unbearable.  That was the most quiet SEC game I've ever been to.  Cowbells only rang after plays and during huddle.  Was expecting a more hostile environment from the #1 team.  I've been in RRS and WMS when I can't hear myself speak.

BOAR_N2BWILD

MSU needs the cowbells - How else would they be able to find their wife after the game. ??? ;D
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

ShadowTheHedgehog

Until this year Moo State was always largely irrelevant so the cowbells were allowed, I think they will revisit it after this season.

Pigstie

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 02, 2014, 04:29:55 pm
Until this year Moo State was always largely irrelevant so the cowbells were allowed, I think they will revisit it after this season.
If they were no good, no one would care.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 02, 2014, 02:04:16 pm
I was In a sea of maroon and actually impressed by the discipline of the crowd on using the cowbells. When the "no bells just yells" hits the jumbotron the cowbells stop almost instantly. Yes they are loud but nothing a 50 cent pair of earplugs didnt remedy.

Lots of nice people there too. Still humble and appreciative of their fortune thus far. I wouldnt mind seeing State take it the whole way this year. The Hogs obviously arent in the running and would be a welcome departure from the typical.

I'm not worried about YOUR ears.  Using artificial noise makers should be banned...and enforced.  It certainly tainted the telecast, and it's unfair to the players.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hoggish1

I think every SEC school should be allowed to use cow bells.  Think about that...

BadHog

If cowbells can propel our program toward a #1 ranking, then bring em on.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

McKdaddy

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 02, 2014, 02:04:16 pm
I was In a sea of maroon and actually impressed by the discipline of the crowd on using the cowbells. When the "no bells just yells" hits the jumbotron the cowbells stop almost instantly. Yes they are loud but nothing a 50 cent pair of earplugs didnt remedy.

Lots of nice people there too. Still humble and appreciative of their fortune thus far. I wouldnt mind seeing State take it the whole way this year. The Hogs obviously arent in the running and would be a welcome departure from the typical.

Agree w/ you on all the above.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 02, 2014, 02:13:30 pm
How many college traditions aren't stupid??.....The ridiculousness is why we love them. 

Agreed, many traditions are unique and loved by those performing / exhibiting them. Generally speaking, traditions are only considered dumb by those on the outside.

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Locutus_of_Boar

Were I an SEC ref doing a game in Starkville I'd have the replay guy unplug the weather radar monitor before the game then immediately before kickoff I'd make an announcement that I thought I heard thunder and we'd all have to sit and listen in silence for the next 30 minutes just to make sure.   ;)

willyacs

Well maybe I just got to sit by the strangest fan in the stadium, but as soon as he saw my Arkansas shirt he made it his mission to drive me crazy. His first words to me were"You"ll hate me before this is over". If he had only rang when the rest of the crowd rang, it would have been ok, but he even rang during TV time outs. There were times when I thought he was the only guy in the place ringing a bell. The only relieve we got was about 10 minutes during half time when he left. If he has left the bell it would have gone missing. lol. Also, the last 5 minutes are so in the game, it was not stop. Even when the big screen said stop and he and several others keep right on going. This was my 6th time in Starkville, between football and basketball, but it will be my last unless that ban the bells. I have been to about half the venues in the SEC and this was by far my worse experience. Maybe, I've just been lucky, but I'll take my 1000 bucks and spend it at another SEC location before I"ll go there again.

MountieDawg

If they banned cowbells, how would the farmers find their cows or how would Miss State find their Homecoming court.
SEC!

GolfnHog

Quote from: willyacs on November 03, 2014, 08:16:49 am
Well maybe I just got to sit by the strangest fan in the stadium, but as soon as he saw my Arkansas shirt he made it his mission to drive me crazy. His first words to me were"You"ll hate me before this is over". If he had only rang when the rest of the crowd rang, it would have been ok, but he even rang during TV time outs. There were times when I thought he was the only guy in the place ringing a bell. The only relieve we got was about 10 minutes during half time when he left. If he has left the bell it would have gone missing. lol. Also, the last 5 minutes are so in the game, it was not stop. Even when the big screen said stop and he and several others keep right on going. This was my 6th time in Starkville, between football and basketball, but it will be my last unless that ban the bells. I have been to about half the venues in the SEC and this was by far my worse experience. Maybe, I've just been lucky, but I'll take my 1000 bucks and spend it at another SEC location before I"ll go there again.

Based on this description I would bet your body language, demeanor and other factors added to him being a non stop cow bell ringer. Or he was getting ready for his seasonal job as a bell ringer for the Salvation Army @ the local Wal-Mart.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

willyacs

Yes, my body language and demeanor is why someone would want to ring a bell for several hours. lol. Like I stated, I have been to most of the other venues around the SEC and never had any problems. Was my body language and demeanor that much different when I go there. The kid was just a jerk. Plain and simple. The only thing I can think of as to why else he might have done was to make sure his girlfriend didn't wonder off. lol

carolinahogger

If cowbells are outlawed, only outlaws will have cowbells.

pigstuff

Pretty sure the cowbells was the reason Arkansas lost their 17th straight SEC game.

Mike Irwin

I've heard the cowbells many times. Never understood what the fuss was about.

Saturday night was different. They were clanking those things in rhythm. It seemed like everybody had one.

The noise level in the stadium dropped more than in half when the cowbells stopped. That place was louder than Auburn. Louder than LSU. It was the most noise I have ever heard at a football game.

Other than music from speakers, artificial noise makers are not allowed at any other SEC stadium. It gives MSU an advantage that other schools don't have. Unless you were at that game you don't understand how much of advantage it was.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: RazorWild on November 02, 2014, 04:19:40 pm
I was in Starkville during our Sugar Bowl run year.  I was in the upper deck that time amazed at how loud that stadium was.  So, last night, I was in section 3 row 9 fully expecting for the sound to be unbearable.  That was the most quiet SEC game I've ever been to.  Cowbells only rang after plays and during huddle.  Was expecting a more hostile environment from the #1 team.  I've been in RRS and WMS when I can't hear myself speak.
When the cowbells were silent it wasn't all that loud. But when they were going it was ear splitting.

El Puerco

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 03, 2014, 07:49:09 pm
When the cowbells were silent it wasn't all that loud. But when they were going it was ear splitting.

I have no problem honoring their (stupid) tradition. However, to make things fair, when MSU visits other team's stadiums I feel that the hosting fan base should be permitted to select an artificial noisemaker of their own. Don't worry, MSU will understand.

I vote for 80,000 air horns.

A small price to pay for what they hold so near and dear

sowmonella

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on November 02, 2014, 02:13:30 pm
How many college traditions aren't stupid?? We whistle 3 times and do a pig chant for god sake?  The ridiculousness is why we love them. 

Tell me more about whistling 3 times??????????
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  20 minutes ago

Mississippi State and the Orange Bowl are working on a cowbell compromise. http://on.thec-l.com/1DbCGp0

Quote"We don't yet have an official answer on cowbells inside the Orange Bowl, but we are working with stadium officials and are optimistic that an agreement can be reached," MSU athletic director Scott Stricklin said in his weekly 'Bulldog Update.' "Either way, cowbells will be more than welcomed in Florida, and we hope that will include the game, as well. We'll be sure to pass along that information as soon as we have a definitive yes or no."

According to Sun Life Stadium's code of conduct, there is no law banning artificial noisemakers. However, the guidelines are broad, including the first, which is "interfering with others' enjoyment of the game."

"A lot of times when you play in an NFL stadium they have different rules about that kind of stuff. I want to be respectful and I know our fans are going to be respectful of whatever they ask," Stricklin said. "We're certainly going to make the plea and make sure they understand how important that tradition is to our fans."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

loganlowery @loganlowery  ·  7 hours ago
Orange Bowl will allow cowbells http://dlvr.it/7rDMhJ
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

MSU Football @HailStateFB  ·  Dec 16

BREAKING: @OrangeBowl to allow cowbells in Sun Life Stadium! #HailState #CapitalOneOrangeBowl http://bit.ly/1399qhW 

MS State Alumni @MSStateAlumni  ·  Dec 16

Bulldogs joining us in Miami for the @OrangeBowl - please review the stadium clear bag policy. Details here- http://silvermangroup-dev.com/COOB-Fan-Guide-2014-15/#6 ...

QuoteState fans traveling to the Capital One Orange Bowl will be permitted to ring their cowbells inside Sun Life Stadium on gameday, the MSU Athletic Department announced Tuesday.

Fans will have to adhere to the Southeastern Conference policy and ring responsibly. Ringing is not allowed from the time the offensive center is over the football until the play is whistled dead.

"We appreciate the Capital One Orange Bowl allowing our fans to continue a timeless Mississippi State tradition at this year's game," said MSU Director of Athletics Scott Stricklin. "Our fans did a wonderful job this season with cowbell compliance, and I know they'll exhibit the same as a show of appreciation to the Orange Bowl."

No. 7 Mississippi State and No. 12 Georgia Tech square off in the 2014 Capital One Orange Bowl on Wednesday, Dec. 31 at 7:10 p.m. CT live on ESPN...

jbcarol

Glenn Guilbeau ‏@LSUBeatTweet  9h9 hours ago
"I think we need to petition to get some cowbells in our stadium," Miles joked. "It would be an enjoyable piece as well."

jbcarol

Today's the Day

Scott Stricklin ‏@stricklinMSU 12h12 hours ago

Kickoff is less than 72 hours away. Time to brush up on your cowbell etiquette. #HailState #RingingResponsibly

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 24h24 hours ago

Starkville, the #Clanga capital of the world!

@HailState set the @GWR for most cowbells (5,748) rung at once.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner  8m8 minutes ago
Someone want to call Guinness? I was at Cowbell Yell. It's at least 10x louder and I can guarantee you more than 6,000 cowbells are ringing

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/739250797196759041

Mississippi State goes through SEC Spring meetings without mention of cowbells or the annual fine.

Focus was on Simmons.

jbcarol

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 26, 2010, 09:26:49 am

I hope they keep them too!  The NCAA and SEC got too many fan rules for me.

Yes, but the rules.....should apply to all of the schools.  No exceptions.

What needs to happen.......is every other team's fans in the SEC,  show up with some sort of loud bells/noisemakers & use them.... when they play Miss St. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Bogghawg

Is there or is there not a conference or NCAA rule about artificial noise makers from the stands while a play is being run?  I have always thought there was, but if that's so how in heck are they not penalized?  What's with the wink, wink, nod, nod no one else can but at MissState it's OK?
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

Dillon

Yeah CBB has complained about that before. Needs to keep bringing it up at the annual SEC meetings. There's a double standard.

theFlyingHog

They worked out a deal. Something about long-standing tradition

hawgmasta

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 19, 2016, 07:40:04 pm
They worked out a deal. Something about long-standing tradition

Yeah I think they were like, "hey it's Mississipi State guys, that already sucks enough. . . Let em have something."

theFlyingHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 19, 2016, 07:41:54 pm
It's called a prescription....
I got a fever. But I think RWIII broke all the cowbells

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hawgmasta on November 19, 2016, 07:43:09 pm
Yeah I think they were like, "hey it's Mississipi State guys, that already sucks enough. . . Let em have something."
Pretty much. Poor bastages

Derjen

Haha

Atlhogfan1

It was ok when MSU's stadium seated about 40K and they sucked.  Those stadium additions added a lot of bells. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LRHawg

panhandlepig

I think I remember reading for whatever reason the cow bells were granted an exemption, "grandfathered in" somehow. That crap needs to stop and soon.

GoHogzzGo

Yup grandfathered in. Supposed to stop during play, but can't call a penalty on every play. Not sure if they get a side line warning initially or what.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

crayola99

I think the cowbells are a good thing.  CFB needs to let programs and fans show their individuality.   Does anyone really think they have that much of an effect on the game?

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Mississippi State is Aggies on welfare...............

:razorback:
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

PORKULATOR

I love every cowbell but an MSU cowbell
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger‏Verified account @RossDellenger

State's cowbell tradition dates to the 1930s.

I have experience in writing about cowbells. A lot of experience.

QuoteClang, clang! LSU's young, heavily flagged team preparing for Mississippi State's noisy tradition
Tigers practicing with cowbell noise this week, Ed Orgeron says

Danny Etling's experience with cowbells is singular — a cowbell.

During youth football, one of his teammates' mothers rang a cowbell during games. The teammate turned to Etling's rival when they attended different high schools — Etling to South Vigo High and his friend to North Vigo High, both in Terre Haute, Indiana.

That cowbell noise didn't go away. She'd even bang on it the old-fashioned way, hitting it with a drumstick like the infamous "Saturday Night Live" clip...

The ringing of the cowbells — deemed by some as artificial noisemakers — is restricted by the Southeastern Conference. Fans are prohibited from ringing the bells "from the time the offensive center is over the football until the play is whistled dead," the SEC rule reads.

Tigers have committed 10 pre-snap penalties in two friendly environments: the Superdome and Tiger Stadium. The list includes four offsides, three false starts, two illegal shifts and a delay of game. The offensive line has committed six of the 21 total flags thrown on the Tigers over the first two weeks.

Center Will Clapp and his crew will need to avoid the penalties, this week surrounded by 60,000-plus cowbell-toting fans.

"You've got to be loud and communicate, make sure they can read your lips," Etling said. "I've got to be loud, and we'll have to figure out cadences."

The root of State's cowbell tradition dates to the 1930s, according to stories published in the Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger. The Bulldogs handily won a game against rival Ole Miss some 80 years ago after a jersey cow wandered onto the playing field. Students adopted the cow and cowbell as good-luck charms, the newspaper reported.

Cowbells were banned at State football games from 1974-2010, though that didn't completely stop fans from ringing the noisemakers. That irritated opposing coaches and administrators, leading to the so-called "cowbell compromise" in 2011 among league members. School presidents voted for a change to the artificial noisemaker policy to allow cowbells to be rung at certain times.

Ring away, running back Derrius Guice said.

jbcarol

jbcarol

James Crepea
‏Verified account @JamesCrepea
3h3 hours ago

More cowbell? SEC amends rule pertaining to artificial noise
http://bit.ly/2J5DYeA

QuoteHow much Mississippi State fans can ring their cowbells while still abiding by SEC rules is changing again.

The SEC's Executive Committee passed a proposal forbidding forms of artificial noise at football games from the time the offensive center puts a hand on the football until it is snapped at the conclusion of the league's Spring Meetings on Friday.

The reason for the change is existing legislation stated the noise needed to stop when the center "take his place over" the football and that was difficult to interpret, apply and enforce due to variations in offensive styles and game plans. The change is expected to provide more consistency in application and enforcement of the rule.

New Mississippi State coach Joe Moorhead has yet to experience a home game at Davis Wade Stadium, but recognized the rule would impact Bulldogs fans.

"I'm anxious to hear it myself for the first time," Moorhead said. "I know we're regulating, but there's some discussions made relative to artificial noise and the timing of when you need to cut it off. Ultimately, we'll have to abide by it."

Time will tell if opposing teams attempt to use the specifics of the rule to their advantage and rush the center to the ball in order to cut down on the ringing in Starkville, or if the rule will lead to even more clanging if centers wait too long.

hog of steele

Is it still enforced by a fine? Because that rule won't matter until violations are flagged for yards.

jbcarol

Adam Sparks
‏Verified account @AdamSparks

.@HailStateBB cowbells "shall be removed upon discovery" at @VandyBaseball Super Regional, & other quirky rules in NCAA postseason rule book. http://tnne.ws/2JjdZQX  #VandyBoys