Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

V Florida

Started by flippinhogmana, January 15, 2018, 10:05:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

monk drives and misses but williams gets the board and stickback and the hogs are showing a little life
three minutes to play hogs down by eight, monk misses a step back three
big missed opportunity there
gators score inside and the foul, back to ten, and miss the ft but the gators get the board
gators with an offensive foul
2:12 to go
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

mason misses, swenson fouls (non shooting)
gators turn it over, a minute and a half to go down ten
monk blocked
rnb misses
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

florida turns it over
less than a minute to go
time out on the court
hogs turn it over
thomas with the foul
another foul (on zimmer)
another foul (a phantom foul, ref knew she tried to foul and called it anyway) gators hit both fts
63-51
monk misses on a drive
gators score a cheapy on the other end, zimmer misses a three, and eleven seconds to go, gators ball
and thats it

psycHOGlogist

Bad game. Not our night.

This is what this year is going to be like, I'm afraid — some good performances and some stinkers. Tonight was a stinker.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on January 18, 2018, 07:47:37 pm
Bad game. Not our night.

This is what this year is going to be like, I'm afraid — some good performances and some stinkers. Tonight was a stinker.

I had a bad feeling about this game.  For one thing, you tend to have a let down from a max effort and that is what we had at Auburn.  Characteristically to the good man and good coach that he is Coach Neighbors took the blame.  He said that he noticed the teams lack of intensity yesterday and they talked about it. 

I think Devin Cosper is more important to the the team than just her 16 pts, 38 minutes and 8 boards a night.  She takes a lot of the pressure off Monk and Mason.  Even the announcers said we were playing like a different team. 

Bright spots - We know Malica Monk is a gamer.  We saw a little spark in Swenson.  I thought Macy Weaver experienced just a tiny spark as well in her two minutes.  Macy is going to have to work hard in the off season if she wants to contribute in a significant way next year. 

I think our two transfers are going to make a huge impact next year too.  Baring a taller transfer, we arent going to be any bigger next year.  As far as the rest of the year, I doubt you will see too many low energy games like this one the rest of the year.  We arent certain to have Devin back even for next game.  When I had my worst high ankle sprain, it was really about three weeks until I was back fully.  I didn't expect Devin to play last night and I dont think the team did, I think that was part of the letdown. 

But a team learns things about itself even in losses, and we will.  You can fault the effort last night, but not the heart.  You can fault the lack of accuracy, but Rnb and Mason were still chucking it.  Sometimes for one reason or another you have games like this in a long season.  I hope Bailey Zimmermann treats last night like an anomaly not the last two games.  Play on.

LadybackBBFan

Report from the game:  When starting lineups were announced, I noticed a difference.  We walked out - every starter - no energy.  I do not know why, but it was definitely different than other games.  Defensively,  I noticed we were in trouble right away.  As you know, Cosper normally plays the 4 on offense and defense.  With her in street clothes and a boot (do not look for her to be back anytime soon in my opinion),  Zimmerman went to that role.  She was guarding Hersler to start the game.  Hersler posted Bailey at will and then would switch out and could not miss a 3 point shot.  I am not blaming Bailey, she was giving up 3 inches and probably 30#'s and a lot more strength.  Also she is not use to being posted up by basically a center/power forward.  That is why Florida got off to such a big lead early.  Swenson came in for Bailey and Hersler never scored another point in the quarter.  We began to get back in the game.  When Swenson took a rest, the same thing happened in the second quarter.  Hersler scored her first and only points of the game against Swenson with 3 seconds left in the half on a 3 point shot -- which upped the lead to 7 instead of 4 at half.  We started the same lineup as the game in the second half.  Hersler and Lorenzen had their way.  By the time Swenson was put in, we were down 18 points, Lorenzen had 16 points, and no one was scoring for us except for Monk.  Lorenzen did not score another point and we made our move until Swenson had to take a rest for 2 minutes and Lorenzen went to work again and got another 3 points.

The point of all this is that we lost because no one could hit the broad side of a barn on our team except for Monk.  That is what we can expect from this team - many of them are streak shooters and several cannot create their own shot.  I think Mason was tight and got extra pressure because of the absence of Cosper.  Defensively, we were overmatched with our starting lineup and never adjusted.  I would have had Swenson in the second half starting lineup and when she needed a rest, I would have had Thomas playing that position with Williams or Weaver at center.  I do not sit low on the court.  It is easier to see higher up what is actually happening on the court.  That is why football always has some coaches upstairs - the same reason.  I really do not care about the next two games - at Missouri and at South Carolina - use them to develop more depth.  I am praying that Cosper will be back at full speed for Kentucky which is our next home game on Monday January 29.   

MoHog74

Thanks for the spot-on analysis LBBF.  We too sat midway up last night.  I told my wife one reason Zimmerman was off on her shooting was the physical contact she was receiving while on defense. Thankfully Monk had a good night.

flippinhogmana

January 19, 2018, 11:04:45 am #57 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:55:19 pm by flippinhogmana
from LBBF:   I really do not care about the next two games - at Missouri and at South Carolina - use them to develop more depth.  I am praying that Cosper will be back at full speed for Kentucky which is our next home game on Monday January 29. 

I only have one minor difference from the sentiments expressed by Coach.  I do care about those two games - but not to the extent that I would damage our prospects for the rest of the season.  Both games you have to chock up as losses.  I would also try to play Macy Weaver more in those two games (with Thomas at the four some, Swenson at the four some while she is in).

I also dont think (and I alluded to that some in the thread earlier) that based on my personal experience it is not a simple injury to come back from.  Some doctors say a high ankle sprain is as bad (if not worse in some ways) than a simple fracture.  Ligaments are stretched and there is a lot of tissue damage in a high ankle sprain that doesn't usually occur in a simple fracture.  I know it took me three weeks to heal. 

I am certain that more modern techniques and equipment can shorten the recovery time, but I would be happy if three games is all she missed and she came back at full bore, rather than pushing it and trying to play when she is not ready.  I can tell you this with certainty (based on the fact that she thought she would give it a go last night but MN said no), she will not play until MN knows she is ready.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: MoHog74 on January 19, 2018, 09:35:51 am
Thanks for the spot-on analysis LBBF.  We too sat midway up last night.  I told my wife one reason Zimmerman was off on her shooting was the physical contact she was receiving while on defense. Thankfully Monk had a good night.

I know Cosper is a streak shooter, but I also think playing the four and the extra effort affects Cosper's shooting too.

flippinhogmana

All schools that receive federal funding are required to abide by confidentiality on medical records and such matters so they cant tell you that Devin is likely to be out for 10 more days, meaning she will almost surely miss those two games.

razorjack

After the game Cosper said 10 days.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on January 19, 2018, 12:01:25 pm
All schools that receive federal funding are required to abide by confidentiality on medical records and such matters so they cant tell you that Devin is likely to be out for 10 more days, meaning she will almost surely miss those two games.
I understand that, but we always seem to get a lot more information on football players than we do on any of our young ladies.  I have never understood that.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on January 19, 2018, 03:03:15 pm
  I understand that, but we always seem to get a lot more information on football players than we do on any of our young ladies.  I have never understood that.

yeah and schools tend to get sanctioned more about football teams and boosters than other programs.  Could that be they are  bigger mouths and rule breakers that some others?  I hardly ever go on MMQB, for a reason.