Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You idiots saying Fire Mike

Started by draftkings33, January 18, 2018, 08:41:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

draftkings33

Forget about it.  Not gonna happen.  First of all he's done a pretty good job here at Arkansas and throughout his entire coaching career and he's one of 3 coaches that has coached 15 seasons or more and never had a losing record.  Secondly he has a great recruiting class coming in.  Lastly do you remember Pel and Heath?

hawgon

I don't entirely disagree, but this level of success is not acceptable at Arkansas.

draftkings33

Quote from: hawgon on January 18, 2018, 08:43:27 am
I don't entirely disagree, but this level of success is not acceptable at Arkansas.
Im afraid we are gonna find out in football next year we can get worse.....

The_Iceman

The losing record thing is the dumbest argument. So you'd be happy with 17-15 every year?

draftkings33

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 18, 2018, 08:45:40 am
The losing record thing is the dumbest argument. So you'd be happy with 17-15 every year?
Only 3 coaches to do it.  Must be tougher than you think Mr. King Parsons.

hawgon

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 18, 2018, 08:45:11 am

Of course we can, but the thing a first year coach always has over one who has been here five or more years and hasn't gotten it done, is the hope that he can get it done, instead of the sure and certain belief that he can't.

riccoar

I doubt he gets fired either.  But it's pretty hard to have a losing season unless you are simply pathetic.  Take Miss State.  Prior to playing Arkansas, out of the 13 games they played, 12 of those were scrubs.  Starting 12-1 gives you an awesome cushion at breaking even on a 31 game season.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 18, 2018, 08:41:18 am
Forget about it.  Not gonna happen.  First of all he's done a pretty good job here at Arkansas and throughout his entire coaching career and he's one of 3 coaches that has coached 15 seasons or more and never had a losing record.  Secondly he has a great recruiting class coming in.  Lastly do you remember Pel and Heath?
first- 2 ncaa tournament appearances in year 7 now and currently has a good roster playing very badly.
Second- The 2018 class is deep but not outstanding. Not 1 top 75 player I don't think. Lots of guys between 100 and 200 nationally.

Adam Stokes

January 18, 2018, 08:51:51 am #8 Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:07:21 am by Adam Stokes
Both Heath and Pelphrey got fired with incoming classes that were projected better than what Mike has coming in, heck, Heath even made the NCAA tourney that year and had a strong class of seniors he handed over to Pel. It wouldn't be without precedence.

I think the bar for this season will essentially be whether or not we make the NCAAT. We need 9 wins between conference play and the SECT to pull it off, and that is absolutely within our expectations. No reason you shouldn't make the tournament year 5 with 6 seniors.

Things will still get worse before they get better, as 3 of our next 4 conference games are on the road and we are currently only 2-4. February 20 we have Kentucky at home with three SEC games to go. If we lose that game and have a negative SEC record at that point, the writing should be on the wall. We would be around 6-7 with two road games remaining. Here's hoping we pick up some road wins over the next 2.5 weeks.

Torqued pork

No unbiased observer could watch the Hogs on a regular basis and think they're a well-coached team.

draftkings33

Quote from: riccoar on January 18, 2018, 08:50:53 am
I doubt he gets fired either.  But it's pretty hard to have a losing season unless you are simply pathetic.  Take Miss State.  Prior to playing Arkansas, out of the 13 games they played, 12 of those were scrubs.  Starting 12-1 gives you an awesome cushion at breaking even on a 31 game season.
Then why have only 3 done it?

cardsNhogs

Quote from: riccoar on January 18, 2018, 08:50:53 am
exactly. We play non conference schedule with guaranteed 9 to 10 wins at worst every year. Most major programs do this. Lots of home games against mid majors with occasional power conference team mixed in

hogsanity

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 18, 2018, 08:47:10 am
Only 3 coaches to do it.  Must be tougher than you think Mr. King Parsons.

Answer the question, would you be happy with 17-15 every year, because that would be a winning season every year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

draftkings33

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 08:55:04 am
Answer the question, would you be happy with 17-15 every year, because that would be a winning season every year.
No.  Point is people on here act like he's awful.  Can't be

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 18, 2018, 08:54:26 am
Then why have only 3 done it?

What's it getting Arkansas to have 1 of the 3?  Heck, Bert went to 3 Rose Bowls and Danny Ford won a NC.

redleg

What does the football record in 2018 have to do with Mike Anderson and the basketball team?

The one thing Anderson must find a way to fix is the road woes. He doesn't have to win every single road game in the SEC, but going 0-9, or 1-8, or 2-7 on the road in conference play should be unacceptable to everyone. The Hogs should be winning between 4 and 6 road games every year, to go with 7-9 home SEC W's. Those are realistic goals. Couple that with 10-12 non-conference wins and you have 21-27 victories a season and a Big Dance bid. Maybe even a SEC regular season title every once in awhile.
Anderson must also find a way to recruit more than one big man every three or four classes. Gafford will be the only true center on the team next season, and the only player taller than 6'9". That is NOT good.
I want Mike to be successful, but until he can get the Hogs out of this road woes funk (which has been around since the Heath days), he will not be as successful as we all want him to be (nor will any coach in the future).
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Pig in the Pokey

L M M F A O

WORSE? Worse than the all time crappiest defense? PUH-LEASE< Bertlover. give it a rest.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

TNhawgfan

Great recruiting class? It's not even top 20 anymore. The jewel of the class will be at MSU, who Mike can't even beat btw. He's not a good recruiter. Stop with that nonsense
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

draftkings33

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 18, 2018, 08:59:21 am
L M M F A O

WORSE? Worse than the all time crappiest defense? PUH-LEASE< Bertlover. give it a rest.
Bertlover lol not quite.  I said it was a joke when we hired him.  One of the few.  We just hired Chavis.  Do you have any clue how dumb that was?  We are gonna try and play up tempo with no depth on defense?   We are gonna run around 20 more plays a game which means more injuries during the season on both sides of the ball.  Next year is gonna be very ugly.

draftkings33

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 18, 2018, 09:00:51 am
Great recruiting class? It's not even top 20 anymore. The jewel of the class will be at MSU, who Mike can't even beat btw. He's not a good recruiter. Stop with that nonsense
It's a good class because we have 6 guys coming in who will be here for 4 years.  Perry would have been here one year.  I would rather have Chaney for 4. 

BossHawg_Outlaw

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 18, 2018, 09:04:03 am
It's a good class because we have 6 guys coming in who will be here for 4 years.  Perry would have been here one year.  I would rather have Chaney for 4.

we are loaded with seniors right now and we still suck.  stop chasing the Ghost of Nolan and fire MIKE

Cotton

Quote from: hawgon on January 18, 2018, 08:43:27 am
My lines of thinking as well. Unacceptable performances. Underachieving. So tired of the same excuses.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogsanity

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 18, 2018, 08:57:00 am
No.  Point is people on here act like he's awful.  Can't be

Actually I have seen very few say he is awful about as many that say he is great. What he is is average. Which is EXACTLY what some of us said when people were clamoring for him to be hired. We said then before we were banned, Mike would do just enough to stay employed, and would have the Hogs around the bubble for the NCAAT most years. Just enough, nothing horrid but nothing spectacular either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 18, 2018, 09:02:49 am
Bertlover lol not quite.  I said it was a joke when we hired him.  One of the few.  We just hired Chavis.  Do you have any clue how dumb that was?  We are gonna try and play up tempo with no depth on defense?   We are gonna run around 20 more plays a game which means more injuries during the season on both sides of the ball.  Next year is gonna be very ugly.

You willing to give Morris 7 years if he goes to 2 bowl games and averages 6-6?  He would never have a losing record so I guess you must be.  Right?

99toLife

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 18, 2018, 08:53:46 am
No unbiased observer could watch the Hogs on a regular basis and think they're a well-coached team.

Spot on right there!

riccoar

Mike is not pathetic.  Meaning, he's not Pel.  But I believe people are saying, based on his time so far, he's not the coach to consistently get us an NCAAT birth.  Arkansas is a program that should expect to be an NCAAT team 8 out of every 10 seasons.  We once were, and we are capable of that.  We simply have to get a coach who can do that.

draftkings33

Heath was 82-71 at Arkansas
Pel was 69-59

Anderson is 140-80

Be careful for what you boys wish for......

99toLife

Quote from: hogsanity on January 18, 2018, 09:07:34 am
Actually I have seen very few say he is awful about as many that say he is great. What he is is average. Which is EXACTLY what some of us said when people were clamoring for him to be hired. We said then before we were banned, Mike would do just enough to stay employed, and would have the Hogs around the bubble for the NCAAT most years. Just enough, nothing horrid but nothing spectacular either.

I was one of those...Got 95% of my smites when Mike was hired and I said you must not have watched Mike as a Head coach. He's a decent coach and a good guy but will take the Hogs nowhere and will lose a lot of UGLY GAMES.  Not gonna say I told you so BUT......

hogsanity

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 18, 2018, 09:12:35 am
Pel was 69-59

Anderson is 140-80

So what. Heath 2 ncaat appearances in 5 seasons, Pel 1 in 4 seasons, Anderson 2 so far in 6 seasons. Mike has more wins, but not much more to show for them. 

BossHawg_Outlaw

Pel was 69-59

Anderson is 140-80

You're right we should just sit back be happy with what we have and talk about how great it was back in 94.

PonderinHog

Quote from: 99toLife on January 18, 2018, 09:12:58 am
I was one of those...Got 95% of my smites when Mike was hired and I said you must not have watched Mike as a Head coach. He's a decent coach and a good guy but will take the Hogs nowhere and will lose a lot of UGLY GAMES.  Not gonna say I told you so BUT......
Aren't you a Mizzou fan?

Wild Bill Hog

Pel was 69-59

Anderson is 140-80

I would gladly take a chance.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 18, 2018, 08:59:21 am
L M M F A O

I'm not a Bert lover by any means, but I think we are headed for another half decade of mediocrity. 

Hey, I have an idea.  Why don't we let Jerry Jones pick our basketball coach, too.

Hog1952

Mike Anderson will NEVER win any kind of a championship regardless of the players he lucks into!!!

draftkings33

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 18, 2018, 09:25:03 am
I'm not a Bert lover by any means, but I think we are headed for another half decade of mediocrity. 

Hey, I have an idea.  Why don't we let Jerry Jones pick our basketball coach, too.
You don't want Jerry "The Joke" Jones picking anything.  One playoff win in 20 years with the richest sports franchise in the world. 

Cotton

Pel was 69-59

Anderson is 140-80

You use to date a 9/10
You rebounded with a 5.
Dumped her for a slutty 4.
Came up with a 6.5 and now you're happy... That's fine if you wanna settle for that.

I'm going for another 9. Shooter's Shoot.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

netteltonhog

It's about money...Not wins and losses...The Bud is having sellouts, until that changes Mike isn't going anywhere...

draftkings33

Quote from: Cotton on January 18, 2018, 09:30:53 am
You use to date a 9/10
You rebounded with a 5.
Dumped her for a slutty 4.
Came up with a 6.5 and now you're happy... That's fine if you wanna settle for that.

I'm going for another 9. Shooter's Shoot.
So you're single?

Kevin

do you remember Sutton & Richardson?

there was glorious hog basketball before heath & pel. there can be again, if we go get another coach.

i cannot believe this fan base has fallen so far that this mediocre mess is acceptable.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

99toLife

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 18, 2018, 09:19:01 am
Aren't you a Mizzou fan?

Yes, I went to Mizzou and then lived in Bentonville, both my sons went to UofA  and My oldest married into an extremely Crazy Hog family of UofA Graduates and lives in Arkansas. I love the Razorbacks. Watch almost every Football game and Basketball game. Go to Probably 1 each a year. I no longer live in Arkansas so it makes it tough.  I love the Hogs and most of the crazy fans.

P.s.  I do root for Mizzou when they play each other. of course I'M out numbered!

Cotton

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

razorpimp

Pel was 69-59

Anderson is 140-80

All three were bad hires.....There are much better type of hires out there just got to throw some money at them

cosmodrum

Yeah I remember Heath and Pel, and they both had about the same amount of success here as Mike.
Go away, batin'

hobhog

Starting all over with new lineup in year 8. If he couldn't get it done with this team it ain't happening. I'm an idiot that wants to try someone else.

The NewEra

Why is it that since Anderson was hired there has became a different standard of excellence for the basketball program?  Do we no longer expect a coach that's been here over four years to consistently put a team on the floor that is competitive game in and game out during conference play?  Are we supposed to sit back and fear hiring another bad or mediocre coach as a reason to maintain the status quo?  When did it become acceptable to get blown out in many games, including one in front of a sell out crowd at home?  What is there about MA that makes him immune to the same expectations we would place on any other of the sports programs on campus? 

In year seven is it justifiable for fans to expect us to be among the top of our conference and competing for a conference championship each year, plus total confidence in us making it to the NCAA Tournament? 

Would someone please explain to me why expectations for this basketball program have lowered, why MA should be immune to criticism and even removal with the product we are witnessing?  It's not like we are losing close games to good teams and being competitive in those games.

Cotton

Quote from: razorpimp on January 18, 2018, 09:40:13 am
All three were bad hires.....There are much better type of hires out there just got to throw some money at them
We should've hired Bill Self but he wouldn't interview without an offer and the PTB had too much pride for that.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Kevin

Quote from: The NewEra on January 18, 2018, 09:48:05 am
Why is it that since Anderson was hired there has became a different standard of excellence for the basketball program?  Do we no longer expect a coach that's been here over four years to consistently put a team on the floor that is competitive game in and game out during conference play?  Are we supposed to sit back and fear hiring another bad or mediocre coach as a reason to maintain the status quo?  When did it become acceptable to get blown out in many games, including one in front of a sell out crowd at home?  What is there about MA that makes him immune to the same expectations we would place on any other of the sports programs on campus? 

In year seven is it justifiable for fans to expect us to be among the top of our conference and competing for a conference championship each year, plus total confidence in us making it to the NCAA Tournament? 

Would someone please explain to me why expectations for this basketball program have lowered, why MA should be immune to criticism and even removal with the product we are witnessing?  It's not like we are losing close games to good teams and being competitive in those games.

because this is a nostalgia hire. he was on the bench with Nolan when we won a national championship. too many people are attached emotionally to the man.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

SeattleSeahawgs

So your definition of a "Great Class" is bringing in recruits that have absolutely no chance of turning pro early?  By that logic we've had a lot of great classes the last 20yrs but not much on court success to show for it...  per

Personally i like to evaluate recruits/classes by the number of other top tier programs that offered and ultimately lost out to Arkansas on a recruit.  I must say i think it's safe to say my evaluation criteria has proven to be the better of the two at forecasting on court success/struggles and by my formula this class is anything but "great"...

99toLife

Quote from: Cotton on January 18, 2018, 09:50:10 am
We should've hired Bill Self but he wouldn't interview without an offer and the PTB had too much pride for that.

And how did that work out for the Hogs  ;)

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on January 18, 2018, 09:52:19 am
because this is a nostalgia hire. he was on the bench with Nolan when we won a national championship. too many people are attached emotionally to the man.

And those same people are already saying when Mike goes, they need to hand the program to TJ Cleveland, because ell, you know, Nolan.