Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houston Paying A Coach $3 Million?

Started by Fatty McGee, November 25, 2015, 09:38:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatty McGee

http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14222001/alabama-crimson-tide-defensive-coordinator-kirby-smart-leading-candidate-south-carolina-gamecocks-job

If that's the case, then perhaps they have enough resources that the Big 12 ought to consider adding them.  Major market, some pedigree, some history with Big 12 teams. 

Be a nice nonconference game for Arkansas in the future for recruiting, and a Power 5 opponent who is not overly strong.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

HiggiePiggy

Not yet they aren't but when they get into a P5 conference they will get a better recruiting ground. Look at TCU and Utah. Both have done pretty good since joining a P5 conference.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Fatty McGee on November 25, 2015, 09:38:56 pm
http://espn.go.com/ncf/story/_/id/14222001/alabama-crimson-tide-defensive-coordinator-kirby-smart-leading-candidate-south-carolina-gamecocks-job

If that's the case, then perhaps they have enough resources that the Big 12 ought to consider adding them.  Major market, some pedigree, some history with Big 12 teams. 

Be a nice nonconference game for Arkansas in the future for recruiting, and a Power 5 opponent who is not overly strong.

Fatty, Texas Runs the Big 12 and will NEVER allow U of H in that Conference.

Hawghiggs

Well the AAC has been a solid conference this season. Houston is just trying to solidify their program.

Smokehouse

The Big 12 has zero incentive to add another Texas school. If they're going to expand, they'll look for markets they have much less presence in. Houston would be a "oh God, at this point we literally only care about adding a school so we can have a championship game and we're OK with renaming the conference Texas and Friends at this point" level of desperation.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

island hog

UH just doesn't have the legislative pull to overcome UT's political might and UT says "no" ( at this point ).  I don't know exactly how the pay got increased to such levels but there was an 'anonymous' donor who ponied up $20 million of the $60 million the renovated basketball arena.  Just so happens that the Chairman of the UH Board of Regents is Tillman Fertitta of Golden Nugget, Landry's, etc. fame.  He's a multi billionaire and maybe putting some of his cash to use in bringing UH into the Big 12 conversation. Will be interesting to see how this all works out. 

Hawghiggs

At some point the Big 12 will lose some programs. If they are left out of the playoffs again this year look for Oklahoma to try and make a move to either the Big 10 or SEC. If that happens the Big 12 stands to lose up to 5 programs. Houston then will look great.

Hogarusa

Houston isnt a P5 program. Austin is 2 hours down the road.  Dont see anything happening
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hammer66

Houston will/probably is trying to get in the ACC. The ACC would benefit getting in the Texas market.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: island hog on November 25, 2015, 10:47:30 pm
UH just doesn't have the legislative pull to overcome UT's political might and UT says "no" ( at this point ).  I don't know exactly how the pay got increased to such levels but there was an 'anonymous' donor who ponied up $20 million of the $60 million the renovated basketball arena.  Just so happens that the Chairman of the UH Board of Regents is Tillman Fertitta of Golden Nugget, Landry's, etc. fame.  He's a multi billionaire and maybe putting some of his cash to use in bringing UH into the Big 12 conversation. Will be interesting to see how this all works out. 

Houston has some well heeled prominent alums. It is a large urban commuter school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hammer66 on November 26, 2015, 12:00:36 am
Houston will/probably is trying to get in the ACC. The ACC would benefit getting in the Texas market.

Not sure their academics is up to being accepted there.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on November 25, 2015, 09:56:22 pm
Fatty, Texas Runs the Big 12 and will NEVER allow U of H in that Conference.

Houston and Memphis going to Big 12. Dunno about Memphis, but Houston is a huge school, with resources far beyond
football revenue.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Hogarusa on November 25, 2015, 11:26:16 pm
Houston isnt a P5 program. Austin is 2 hours down the road.  Dont see anything happening

Ho9garusa, if Houston o0nly recruited the 4 County Area around Houston, TX they would have a stronger Roster than 90% of Power 5 Conference Teams. The University of Texas disdain for Houston has everything to do with Houston Beating Texas 50-0 in Austin back in the late 80s. Today, right now The University of Texas Board of Regents has an ACTIVE PROPOSAL to build The University of Texas @ Houston just 6 miles from the U of H main Campus. This branch will be larger and better funded than The University of Arkansas and many other Universities.

This HATE goes way back and Houston has some great Football, Basketball, Track and Golf history in the past. Coach Bill Yeoman and Guy V. Lewis have records that will stand on their own against most schools. I am not a U of H fan but a Fan of College Sports.

Ironhawg

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on November 26, 2015, 05:57:12 am
Ho9garusa, if Houston o0nly recruited the 4 County Area around Houston, TX they would have a stronger Roster than 90% of Power 5 Conference Teams. The University of Texas disdain for Houston has everything to do with Houston Beating Texas 50-0 in Austin back in the late 80s. Today, right now The University of Texas Board of Regents has an ACTIVE PROPOSAL to build The University of Texas @ Houston just 6 miles from the U of H main Campus. This branch will be larger and better funded than The University of Arkansas and many other Universities.

This HATE goes way back and Houston has some great Football, Basketball, Track and Golf history in the past. Coach Bill Yeoman and Guy V. Lewis have records that will stand on their own against most schools. I am not a U of H fan but a Fan of College Sports.

I remember some great games between Guy Lewis' Cougars and Eddie Sutton's Hogs.  They had some great basketball players come through that program back in the day.

Lew

If OU makes the playoffs, there's no way the Big XII will expand.  They don't need to and Houston won't bring any value to the conference.  I just don't see them excited about cutting up the existing pie into smaller pieces.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 26, 2015, 06:33:38 am
I remember some great games between Guy Lewis' Cougars and Eddie Sutton's Hogs.  They had some great basketball players come through that program back in the day.

Clyde "The Glide"....

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on November 26, 2015, 05:57:12 am

Research HOW they built those records..........................

Cinco de Hogo

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Swine-as-wine on November 26, 2015, 04:21:49 am
Houston and Memphis going to Big 12. Dunno about Memphis, but Houston is a huge school, with resources far beyond
football revenue.

Being a big school doesn't mean anything. What means anything is how many viewers and ratings can they bring. That means increasing the "footprint" will be a big consideration. Houston doesn't increase the footprint. Houston is primarily a commuter school with a very fickle fan base.

Inhogswetrust

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 26, 2015, 08:49:54 am
Being a big school doesn't mean anything. What means anything is how many viewers and ratings can they bring. That means increasing the "footprint" will be a big consideration. Houston doesn't increase the footprint. Houston is primarily a commuter school with a very fickle fan base.

Houston has a huge TV footprint....6.5 million people. Problem for the University of Houston is, half of that footprint are Texas fans and the other half are Aggie fans.

This ain't the 1980's anymore, is it? Their exclusion from the reformed Big12 really hurt their athletic program. But, considering all the violations they had in the late 70's and throughout the 1980s, they probably deserved it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2015, 08:58:25 am
Houston has a huge TV footprint....6.5 million people. Problem for the University of Houston is, half of that footprint are Texas fans and the other half are Aggie fans.

This ain't the 1980's anymore, is it? Their exclusion from the reformed Big12 really hurt their athletic program. But, considering all the violations they had in the late 70's and throughout the 1980s, they probably deserved it.

You already said it...tejas and TAMU already has the footprint there that is needed by two P5 conferences. Another school there isn't needed to draw the numbers out of it. If course the ACC might just be desperate enough to expand their footprint to take them if all the dots are connected. They would be better off though taking others. Not many in Houston is going to watch Houston vs. Wake Forest in football when they can still watch tejas vs OU or TAMU vs Arkansas or LSU.   

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 26, 2015, 10:20:19 am
You already said it...tejas and TAMU already has the footprint there that is needed by two P5 conferences. Another school there isn't needed to draw the numbers out of it. If course the ACC might just be desperate enough to expand their footprint to take them if all the dots are connected. They would be better off though taking others. Not many in Houston is going to watch Houston vs. Wake Forest in football when they can still watch tejas vs OU or TAMU vs Arkansas or LSU.   

Yep. In other words, they're pretty much screwed.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2015, 12:07:14 pm
Yep. In other words, they're pretty much screwed.

Good I never liked them anyway!

jbcarol

Josh Kendall ‏@JoshatTheState 35m35 minutes ago

Tom Herman officially officially off the market now.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jbcarol on December 04, 2015, 10:28:38 am
Josh Kendall ‏@JoshatTheState 35m35 minutes ago

Tom Herman officially officially off the market now.
I think he is going to pinch us for some of the talent we are trying to get out of Houston!