Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our defense versus different styles

Started by HognitiveDissonance, November 24, 2015, 11:48:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

It's clear to me there is a distinct line of performance of our defense against varying opponents this year.

The traditional 'power' teams like Alabama and LSU, we look like a good defensive team.

The more 'modern' or 'spread' type offenses, we look lost. Auburn, Miss St, Toledo, T Tech.

My theory is, we see the traditional attack every day in practice, because that's what we run. We don't see the spread in practice, and it's hard to simulate.

fanofthehog

My theory is that it is about speed and we just don't have enough of it.

scruf

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on November 24, 2015, 11:48:54 pm
It's clear to me there is a distinct line of performance of our defense against varying opponents this year.

The traditional 'power' teams like Alabama and LSU, we look like a good defensive team.

The more 'modern' or 'spread' type offenses, we look lost. Auburn, Miss St, Toledo, T Tech.

My theory is, we see the traditional attack every day in practice, because that's what we run. We don't see the spread in practice, and it's hard to simulate.

Quote from: fanofthehog on November 24, 2015, 11:57:44 pm

I think it's a combination of factors and both of the things you guys mentioned obviously factor in. If you take both of those things and then combine it with a lack of depth at S and LB it really starts to unravel quickly, especially in the 2nd half of games.

Airforcehawg

Quote from: fanofthehog on November 24, 2015, 11:57:44 pm

This and that the DB's line up 7-10 yards off of the WR's when the other team is consistently running WR/RB screens and 0-5 yard routes.  Would love to see the DB's press more off of the line to disrupt timing/routes which can also allow the front 4 longer to get at the QB.

Another big factor in the earlier losses this year, and even in the wins against Aurburn and Ol Miss was poor tackling. If they made half the tackles/near sacks that were missed in those games...it wouldnt of even been close. I thought in the last 2 games that area of the defense showed great improvement.

Buff

When the other team is kind enough to move the ball directly at our guys we look great.  Exception being one or two guys who are incapable of making a touchdown-saving tackle. 

When teams move the ball away from our players we look slow. 

You can't get this great analysis anywhere else, so I'd appreciate secrecy.  And also donate to my GoFundMe site so that I may keep studying football and providing my award-winning commentary.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: Airforcehawg on November 25, 2015, 03:16:27 am
This and that the DB's line up 7-10 yards off of the WR's when the other team is consistently running WR/RB screens and 0-5 yard routes.  Would love to see the DB's press more off of the line to disrupt timing/routes which can also allow the front 4 longer to get at the QB.

Another big factor in the earlier losses this year, and even in the wins against Aurburn and Ol Miss was poor tackling. If they made half the tackles/near sacks that were missed in those games...it wouldnt of even been close. I thought in the last 2 games that area of the defense showed great improvement.
I totally agree with the statement about the corners playing too far off and not pressing.  Another thing is when you are this poor at pass coverage you have to do something to change that and not just hope for the best.  We need to blitz more. Our front four are not getting to the quarterback.  Part of that is "want to" and part is ability.  Last week the defense didn't seem to have the want to from the beginning.  didn't seem aggressive to get off the blocks or to run to the tackle.  Don't know if the weather was the factor or what but it was apparent there was a problem.  The hit on the second half kick off got the defense fired up for a while and we got a little pressure on the quarterback but in the fourth quarter it was like the second half.  We need a fired up leader on the defense as well as a few wrinkles in our scheme to get us going and keep the offense from knowing what the defense will do.

Albert Einswine

This will be roundly ridiculed, and I don't care, but when playing teams like Miss State and TTech I'd rather see us play man press coverage and get burned than see us get methodically marched down the field 7-12 yards at a time.

Who knows, we might actually get some stops along the way.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

LAHOG1962

Totally agree, we need to be able to mix in man coverage at times. Maybe man free with a robber at free safety. Coach Smith is in a predicament, We are young,not very fast, and lost all of our playmakers last year (86,91,47, 23 and 27).These guys made the lions share of last years big plays.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 25, 2015, 08:59:27 am
This will be roundly ridiculed, and I don't care, but when playing teams like Miss State and TTech I'd rather see us play man press coverage and get burned than see us get methodically marched down the field 7-12 yards at a time.

Who knows, we might actually get some stops along the way.
Did that early in the season with Tolliver in the slot and he just can't cover man to man. You also have to think if you play press on the outside you have your lbs in man as well and neither Ellis or greenlaw have shown they can consistently cover tes and backs down the field. More pressure like miss state ended up with the same result for them giving up 50 points.