Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why not more jet sweeps to Dominique Reed?

Started by Hoggy Bear, November 24, 2015, 09:21:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggy Bear

I kept thinking on that 4th and 1 that BA threw to Hunter Henry that missed that this would have been a good time to get the ball in the hands of Dominique Reed out wide.  He scored a TD against Auburn on the 1 sweep that I remember them running to him.  I think you could easily run this play 3-4 times a game and gain positive yardage each time.

bennyl08

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on November 24, 2015, 09:21:09 pm
I kept thinking on that 4th and 1 that BA threw to Hunter Henry that missed that this would have been a good time to get the ball in the hands of Dominique Reed out wide.  He scored a TD against Auburn on the 1 sweep that I remember them running to him.  I think you could easily run this play 3-4 times a game and gain positive yardage each time.

The more you use it, the less effective it becomes.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on November 24, 2015, 09:21:09 pm

We tried last game and they snuffed it out for a loss I believe.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2015, 10:11:58 pm
We tried last game and they snuffed it out for a loss I believe.

Yep, and Dominique doesn't need a lot of contact with the big boys, they might break him in two.

racingpossum

Jet sweeps are much more suited for Jared Cornelius skill set than Dominique Reed's.   

PorkRinds

Quote from: racingpossum on November 24, 2015, 10:17:06 pm
Jet sweeps are much more suited for Jared Cornelius skill set than Dominique Reed's.
morgan does them pretty well too.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2015, 10:18:02 pm
morgan does them pretty well too.

He doesn't leverage the blocking as well as Cornelius.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

ricepig

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 24, 2015, 10:19:31 pm
He doesn't leverage the blocking as well as Cornelius.

Yeah, sitting in my seats in the south end zone, you could see when we missed the hole/blocks on the sweeps. Drew tried to get to the corner when he needed to cut it inside.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2015, 10:14:16 pm
Yep, and Dominique doesn't need a lot of contact with the big boys, they might break him in two.
Yeah, he's much more suited for kickoff returns.  Scares me to death back there.  They say he's pretty tough, though.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 24, 2015, 10:11:03 pm

Absolutely. But running it as a diversion/threat to keep the defense's collective head on a swivel can be just as effective. Love the fact that we are getting more motion into our offense though... I think it's been very effective so far.

redeye

I would have preferred anything to gain that 1 yard and run more time off the clock.  The jet sweep would have been better then throwing to Henry, but I don't know why we were trying to score quickly there.

onebadrubi

We use motion for many things, we do not need to become predictable with it.  It is also the same motion that we've seen early in the season where antwine shits second and seals the edge for a RB pitch. D reed on the jet sweep is something that is only effective big if you use it once or twice sparingly.

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 24, 2015, 11:16:50 pm
We use motion for many things, we do not need to become predictable with it.  It is also the same motion that we've seen early in the season where antwine shits second and seals the edge for a RB pitch. D reed on the jet sweep is something that is only effective big if you use it once or twice sparingly.

I agree with the first part... And I think I see where we my be losing speed trying to seal that edge though it's just a hunch.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on November 24, 2015, 11:47:48 pm
I agree with the first part... And I think I see where we my be losing speed trying to seal that edge.

Haha I am shocked that got by the filters. SHIFTS....SHIFTS....SHIFTS

The_Hog_Father

HognitiveDissonance

I agree. Gotta get him at least five touches every game, somehow.

I remember back in the day we had another speedster, Derek Russell, in 1989 and we would run the jet sweep to him at least once every game. And it would get about 20 yards, every time. Seemed to never fail.

That was the year Jack Crowe was the offensive coord. Did a good job in that role.

bennyl08

Quote from: Pigs in Zen on November 24, 2015, 11:01:42 pm
Absolutely. But running it as a diversion/threat to keep the defense's collective head on a swivel can be just as effective. Love the fact that we are getting more motion into our offense though... I think it's been very effective so far.

Exactly. To me, that is the difference b/w a pro style team and a college/HS offense team. The more gimmicky offense wins battles by confusing the defense and getting them out of position. However, if the defense is good and stays in position at all times, they win the battles more oft than not.

A pro style offense is based on the idea that you know where the defense will be and take advantage of them being in their correct positions. Obviously, that is harder to accomplish, but gives you a higher rate of success if you can.

A good offense will be one that is based in the pro-style set, but will still incorporate gimmicks from time to time. When you use misdirection every single play, it doesn't fool the defense, but if you sprinkle it in a bit, it is much more likely to work. Look at the patriots, Edelman has always been a former qb turned WR, but they saved the WR pass play for years and years until the Baltimore game last year in the playoffs, along with some other gimmicky plays. They worked. Run gimmicky plays too often like Miami did back in the day with the wildcat, defenses catch on quickly and shut it down.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Horthawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 24, 2015, 10:11:03 pm
Yep, you can go to the well too many times. Great when it works though.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

DiamondHogFan

That has usually been the spot where we do the misdirection pitch back to Collins/Walker. 

Again, just like the field goal, hind sight is 20/20.  If we would have hit the pass we would have called Enos a genius. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on November 25, 2015, 09:27:43 am
That has usually been the spot where we do the misdirection pitch back to Collins/Walker. 

Again, just like the field goal, hind sight is 20/20.  If we would have hit the pass we would have called Enos a genius.
Ah, the misdirection pitch sweep. Probably my favorite running play. Is it just me or does that seem to work 90% of the time?

Least favorite play? The dreaded deep handoff, off tackle run. The guy gets the ball five yards behind the line of scrimmage and piles into a mass of humanity thinking there may be a hole opening. Works about 30% of the time, and seemingly 5% in crucial situations.

songofthesword

dude is the fastest player i've ever seen, well seriously the third fastest behind Xavier Carter and Trendon Holiday.  Once he puts it in gear it's a wrap. he made lsu's DB look like CuSA players

ChattanoogaHog

Quote from: racingpossum on November 24, 2015, 10:17:06 pm
What makes a jet sweep more suited for Jared Cornelius rather than Dominique Reed...?

ICEman

Quote from: ChattanoogaHog on November 26, 2015, 09:12:14 am
What makes a jet sweep more suited for Jared Cornelius rather than Dominique Reed...?
Large versus small stature.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ChattanoogaHog on November 26, 2015, 09:12:14 am
Reed has a little better straight line speed and Cornelius seems to be able to change direction a little faster.  Both are fast.  Perfectly blocked Sweep?  I'd pick Reed.  Miss one block and Cornelius has the better chance to still make positive yardage.