Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Randy Shannon

Started by TDHawgs, November 24, 2015, 02:32:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

IronHog

Quote from: 89ALUM on November 25, 2015, 07:31:32 pm
You know, this got me thinking.  I decided to do a little digging (granted I didn't go back past 2001, sorry for being lazy).

The following guys were all OUTSTANDING linebackers that really could have played for any team in America:

2001 - Jermaine Petty (Bengals)
2001 - Quinton Caver (Eagles)
2003 - Caleb Miller (Bengals)
2003 - Tony Bua (Dolphins)
2005 - Sam Olajabutu (Buccaneers)
2008-11 - Jerry Franklin (several NFL teams)

Clearly the early 2000's were pretty fruitful for the Arkansas linebacker corps, but with Petrino's lack of attention to that side of the ball we stopped producing the big names that Nutt brought to the Hogs.  I think Brooks and Dre will be fine in time and perhaps they will jump onto this list after their careers on the Hill are complete.

So IronHog can be forgiven for thinking we've been historically bad at the position, but I respectfully disagree that it has been an Achilles Heel.

PS - And if Freddie Fairchild had been able to fly straight, he might have been the best linebacker that ever played at Arkansas.  A million dollar talent but just couldn't overcome personal problems.

5 cup of coffee NFL types (outside of Miller) is pretty bad over that time frame for even a mid teir SEC program IMO.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ChicoHog

Quote from: sickboy on November 24, 2015, 03:10:34 pm
I like what we're doing at Linebacker and I'd stick with the course we're headed.

I don't know about how good of a coach Shannon was with linebackers, I'm sure he was capable, but from everything I've heard he was a bit of a cancer within the coaching rooms. I think our program overall is better off without him. Had he brought in some really top-notch linebacker recruits, then maybe it'd be different. But he never built a leg to stand on.
You notice he is not getting any head coaching buzz either with a lot of openings out there.  He may never get another head job, even at a non power 5 school.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 24, 2015, 03:46:05 pm
Linebacker play has been terrible. We all expected Ellis to pick up Spaight's slack. It hasn't even been close. Greenlaw has been good but he's playing in his 10th game this weekend.

Too many personnel losses and losing Josh Williams was absolutely huge.

The DL not living up to expectations hasn't helped either.

Actually, Ellis doesn't have an Ellis like Spaight did.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

LZH

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 24, 2015, 03:12:57 pm
I keep hearing that he was causing issues within the staff.  I've not heard any specifics though.  Care to share what you've heard? I would assume it was after he was passed up for the DC job?

Well, apparently he did not care to work for Petrino (who the hell would?), so it would not surprise me if his ego as a former head coach may get in the way of any potential job he may have a shot at in the future. Jmo.

BTW, where is he now?

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on November 25, 2015, 08:24:58 pm
Well, apparently he did not care to work for Petrino (who the hell would?), so it would not surprise me if his ego as a former head coach may get in the way of any potential job he may have a shot at in the future. Jmo.

BTW, where is he now?
Some No name school in Gainesville.

The Hawg Marshal

I saw somewhere that he is interviewing for the UCF job.

89ALUM

Quote from: IronHog on November 25, 2015, 08:06:15 pm

5 cup of coffee NFL types (outside of Miller) is pretty bad over that time frame for even a mid teir SEC program IMO.

Without knowing what other "Mid-tier SEC programs" put into the NFL over the same time frame, I'm afraid I can't argue with you.

However, I'd say last year and this year our linebackers have done well at tackling.  Statistically the evidence shows that our guys rank near the top of the SEC in that statistic.  Usually your top tacklers are LB's, except for aTm and Auburn who have DB's leading their teams).  So there's that. 

And most of those guys in the list led the SEC in tackling at least once (Franklin did it twice).  So compared to SEC programs over the last 15 years, a few of our linebackers were the best in the league at tackling.

Criticism on coverage?  Harder to use stats to show how a LB does or doesn't cover well.  For every anecdote someone relates that a receiver was wide open over the middle with no LB in sight, there's someone else that probably has a story of how Brooks or Dre was smothering a TE in single coverage and made a nice pass defense that forced the QB to check down to a RB in the flat.

Count me as a fan of our linebackers over the last 15 years.  Defensive backs?  Not as much.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 25, 2015, 09:04:08 pm
Some No name school in Gainesville.

Oh really? I sure didn't know that. Apparently, he must not have made a huge impression on everybody down here, because I haven't heard one single word about him since I've been here.

PonderinHog

Quote from: LZH on November 25, 2015, 09:35:03 pm
Oh really? I sure didn't know that. Apparently, he must not have made a huge impression on everybody down here, because I haven't heard one single word about him since I've been here.
He has a nice title - Associate head coach / Co-defensive coordinator / Linebackers coach

IronHog

Quote from: 89ALUM on November 25, 2015, 09:29:55 pm
Without knowing what other "Mid-tier SEC programs" put into the NFL over the same time frame, I'm afraid I can't argue with you.

However, I'd say last year and this year our linebackers have done well at tackling.  Statistically the evidence shows that our guys rank near the top of the SEC in that statistic.  Usually your top tacklers are LB's, except for aTm and Auburn who have DB's leading their teams).  So there's that. 

And most of those guys in the list led the SEC in tackling at least once (Franklin did it twice).  So compared to SEC programs over the last 15 years, a few of our linebackers were the best in the league at tackling.

Criticism on coverage?  Harder to use stats to show how a LB does or doesn't cover well.  For every anecdote someone relates that a receiver was wide open over the middle with no LB in sight, there's someone else that probably has a story of how Brooks or Dre was smothering a TE in single coverage and made a nice pass defense that forced the QB to check down to a RB in the flat.

Count me as a fan of our linebackers over the last 15 years.  Defensive backs?  Not as much.

When a Tony Bua makes your top linebacker list you've had pretty bad linebacker play IMO.

We can agree to disagree.  Compared to Georgia, Auburn, etc Hog backers have been sub par though.

Melvin Bradley was the best linebacker I've seen the state produce and he moved to NT.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 25, 2015, 10:34:48 pm
He has a nice title - Associate head coach / Co-defensive coordinator / Linebackers coach

Good way to stay under the radar but still draw a nice check without too many folks asking questions. My kind of gig.

ROASHE

I'd say he's made a very good impression on the Florida defense since his arrival.

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=31818

Youngsta71701

Quote from: arlhog on November 25, 2015, 03:30:35 pm
You have a point, but if he is a special player he probably leaves after 3 years whether he redshirts or not.   So you might as well get as much out of him as you can.

He has a long ways to go before he proves to be that type of player.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: scruf on November 25, 2015, 04:49:21 pm
Yes and I agree about Tolliver. I think K-Rich is a better nickel and Henre' is more well suited to playing boundary or field.

I think D.J. Dean would be a better nickel and Tolliver is more of an outside corner type of guy. JMO though...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: ROASHE on November 26, 2015, 10:07:57 am
I'd say he's made a very good impression on the Florida defense since his arrival.

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=31818

He's one of the best defensive coaches in the country, plain & simple. There's a reason Miami won championships under his guidance as DC and haven't won any every since. He's seems to be a much better DC than head coach. When all of his focus is on defense he is pretty damn good.

idochog

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 25, 2015, 10:34:48 pm

So his title is ddo-jsioc
I love Jesus!

IronHog

Quote from: arlhog on November 25, 2015, 03:30:35 pm
You have a point, but if he is a special player he probably leaves after 3 years whether he redshirts or not.   So you might as well get as much out of him as you can.

He was a lightly recruited converted safety that is playing because of injury and poor recruiting.

He should be on ice or playing backup reps right now.......

hoglady

Shannon has proven himself to be a very good coach.
Even though most think we don't miss him - the truth is we probably do.
It's all conjecture - but the point is the defense tends to get better everywhere the guy goes.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

sickboy

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 26, 2015, 11:15:01 am
He's one of the best defensive coaches in the country, plain & simple. There's a reason Miami won championships under his guidance as DC and haven't won any every since. He's seems to be a much better DC than head coach. When all of his focus is on defense he is pretty damn good.

No offense to Randy Shannon, but his coaching wasn't the reason Miami won the championship in 2001 -- it was his and Butch Davis' recruiting and the once in a lifetime crop of players that came through there. I could have coached that team to an undefeated season with the embarrassment of riches they had.

Still, Shannon's defenses at Miami were really, really good. And from what I've read, he was the only honest coach at Miami who actually spoke out against Nevin Shapiro before it was cool to speak out against Nevin Shapiro.

Let's be honest. He spent, like, 20 years at Miami working his way up to head coach. His heart and his talents have probably always been in Florida and he's probably a proud man who feels he deserves to be a HC. He's probably right.

Aporkalypse Now

How does Arkansas compare to the rest of the SEC in putting Linebackers into the NFL? Terribly

Since 2005, the SEC has put 55 linebackers into the NFL

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-players-drafted-position-last-10-years/

From 2005-2014 Arkansas had exactly ZERO linebackers drafted. NONE

That's right Arkansas fans, since 2005 Spaight has been the ONLY linebacker drafted out of Arkansas.

That's pathetic, and needs to change

sickboy

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 26, 2015, 02:48:58 pm
How does Arkansas compare to the rest of the SEC in putting Linebackers into the NFL? Terribly

Since 2005, the SEC has put 55 linebackers into the NFL

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-players-drafted-position-last-10-years/

From 2005-2014 Arkansas had exactly ZERO linebackers drafted. NONE

That's right Arkansas fans, since 2005 Spaight has been the ONLY linebacker drafted out of Arkansas.

That's pathetic, and needs to change

How many linebackers has Arkansas had drafted before 2005? Have we ever been a linebacker program?

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: sickboy on November 26, 2015, 03:06:35 pm
How many linebackers has Arkansas had drafted before 2005? Have we ever been a linebacker program?

There is a LARGE gap between putting ONE linebacker in the NFL draft in 10 years and being a linebacker program. One that we MUST close if we really want to compete for titles.

We could have Vince Lombardi coaching for us , if we won't have the talent , it won't matter.

Bielema needs to go hire the best recruiter money can buy and let him completely revamp our recruiting system, especially on defense.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

The Hawg Marshal

Brandon Helwig ‏@UCFSports 2h2 hours ago

What I posted on http://UCFSports.com : Search focused on 4: BG HC Dino Babers, UNC DC Gene Chizik, UF DCs Geoff Collins & Randy Shannon