Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Brandon Allen get the credit........

Started by MissippHog, November 23, 2015, 11:33:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MissippHog

he deserves?  He is quietly putting together one of the best seasons in recent memory.  Look at his numbers so far this year:

11 games
65.1% completion percentage
213 completions on 327 attempts
3,023 yards
9.2 yards per attempt
29 TD's / 6 INT's
168.4 QBR

Now let's look at two seasons from 2 of our better passing QB's:

Ryan Mallett's 2010 season
13 games
64.7% completion percentage
266 completions on 411 attempts
3,869 yards
9.4 yards per attempt
32 TD's / 12 INT's
163.6 QBR

Tyler Wilson's 2011 season
13 games
63.2% completion percentage
277 completions on 438 attempts
3,638 yards
8.3 yards per attempt
24 TD's / 6 INT's
148.4 QBR

Barring something unforeseen, BA will most likely own the record for single-season TD's thrown (only needs 4.)  He now holds the record for most TD's thrown in a single game.  He will most likely finish with the second-best season in UA history for passing yards, with an outside chance at taking the top spot.  One other aspect.  While I love our current crop of receivers, he isn't throwing to Cobi Hamilton, Jarius Wright, or Joe Adams who sit at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in career receptions at UA. 

Thoughts?

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

A good few people around here have been saying he is a good QB.  He has not deserved what he has been giving the 2 years prior to this year. 

He deserves all the accolades possible from razorback fans for what he's gone through and just taken it in stride.  From Smile through such an awful season in BB first year to 4 OC's in 5 years and 3 head coaches.  He has been good for us.  We can only hope we don't see much drop off next year. 

Biggus Piggus

Damn that Brandon Allen. He not only revived the Bobby Petrino passing game, he also brought back the Bobby Petrino defense.
[CENSORED]!

HotlantaHog

He got lots of credit on the ESPN broadcast. He will be remembered fondly by Arkansas fans after he graduates and/or moves to the NFL ... it is a shame that he won't be associated with any ''special'' seasons -- a Sugar Bowl, or SEC Championship game or 10-win seasons. But even Hogville at this point would have to admit that he has become a terrific QB.

PorkRinds

Real question at this point is will BA end up being the only AR QB in recent memory to have NFL success?

Chief Mac

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 23, 2015, 11:48:52 am
Damn that Brandon Allen. He not only revived the Bobby Petrino passing game, he also brought back the Bobby Petrino defense.

In that case, we can blame him for also bringing Petrino's defense ;)
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Bowfishinghogfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 23, 2015, 11:57:13 am
Real question at this point is will BA end up being the only AR QB in recent memory to have NFL success?

He will be lucky to get an invite. The SEC is way down in talent at QB this year. The stats that mean anything are the wins and losses. Going to be a tough year or two replacing him though. I wish we could have seen others more. That will be the theme next year. How we miss BA and we should have prepared qb's more.

Smokehouse

Put in Rafe Peavey, he'd inspire the defense to play better.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Bowfishinghogfan on November 23, 2015, 12:03:39 pm
He will be lucky to get an invite. The SEC is way down in talent at QB this year. The stats that mean anything are the wins and losses. Going to be a tough year or two replacing him though. I wish we could have seen others more. That will be the theme next year. How we miss BA and we should have prepared qb's more.

Are you trying to say Allen won't be drafted because of his W-L record in college?

He's a lock to be drafted at this point.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 23, 2015, 12:06:44 pm
Put in Rafe Peavey, he'd inspire the defense to play better.

We'll be fine.  We have QB's lined up now, which is exactly what we didn't have when Bielema got here.  Brandon Allen carried the load before he was ready and before the pieces were in place.  He deserves the success he's having now.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

onebadrubi

The idiots never will quit telling on themselves will they. 

onebadrubi

Allen will make more in the NFL than mallett or wilson.  He wont be drafted to come in and start anywhere.  He will be drafted by a good team looking for a backup or even 3rd guy that mgith develop into someone in 3-4 years. 

bigdaddyhawg

Brandon Allen has gotten every bit of the credit he deserves for his excellent play since the Auburn game.

What could make you think he hasn't?

But what about the credit Hunter Henry has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Dominque Reed has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Drew Morgan has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Alex Collins has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Sebastian Tretola has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Frank Ragnow has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Dan Skipper has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Jeremy Sprinkle has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

Etc., etc., etc.  Are you getting the point?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

BadHog

Quote from: MissippHog on November 23, 2015, 11:33:20 am
he deserves?  He is quietly putting together one of the best seasons in recent memory.  Look at his numbers so far this year:

11 games
65.1% completion percentage
213 completions on 327 attempts
3,023 yards
9.2 yards per attempt
29 TD's / 6 INT's
168.4 QBR

Now let's look at two seasons from 2 of our better passing QB's:

Ryan Mallett's 2010 season
13 games
64.7% completion percentage
266 completions on 411 attempts
3,869 yards
9.4 yards per attempt
32 TD's / 12 INT's
163.6 QBR

Tyler Wilson's 2011 season
13 games
63.2% completion percentage
277 completions on 438 attempts
3,638 yards
8.3 yards per attempt
24 TD's / 6 INT's
148.4 QBR

Barring something unforeseen, BA will most likely own the record for single-season TD's thrown (only needs 4.)  He now holds the record for most TD's thrown in a single game.  He will most likely finish with the second-best season in UA history for passing yards, with an outside chance at taking the top spot.  One other aspect.  While I love our current crop of receivers, he isn't throwing to Cobi Hamilton, Jarius Wright, or Joe Adams who sit at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in career receptions at UA. 

Thoughts?

Yes he deserves credit for being the most prominent leader on this team, playing his ass off, and getting us some critical wins when the defense was struggling.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Smokehouse

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 23, 2015, 12:29:43 pm
We'll be fine.  We have QB's lined up now, which is exactly what we didn't have when Bielema got here.  Brandon Allen carried the load before he was ready and before the pieces were in place.  He deserves the success he's having now.

I was attempting to sarcastically mock the people who constantly call for Rafe or Austin. Pulling your senior QB before or at the bowl game would be a dick move and wouldn't look great for recruiting, especially when he's playing the best football of his career and some of the best football in Hog history.

lstewart

Brandon will get a shot at the NFL. He will probably get drafted mid to lower rounds. At that point it is a lot of luck involved, as some teams are QB starved, and some of fairly loaded. So just depends where he goes. A lot of it will also have to do as how he is evaluated once the NFL starts checking him out, combine, etc. I think he is good enough to make a roster in the right place, but there are lots of other guys out there competing for those spots that are talented as well. Hope he lands in the right place. Dallas would not be bad... Romo is getting toward the end, and we see they are not set with a young developing back-up.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 23, 2015, 01:00:41 pm
I was attempting to sarcastically mock the people who constantly call for Rafe or Austin. Pulling your senior QB before or at the bowl game would be a dick move and wouldn't look great for recruiting, especially when he's playing the best football of his career and some of the best football in Hog history.

I meant to reply to bowfishing's Reply #7.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Razorfox

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 23, 2015, 12:48:41 pm
Brandon Allen has gotten every bit of the credit he deserves for his excellent play since the Auburn game.

What could make you think he hasn't?

But what about the credit Hunter Henry has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Dominque Reed has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Drew Morgan has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Alex Collins has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Sebastian Tretola has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Frank Ragnow has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Dan Skipper has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

But what about the credit Jeremy Sprinkle has gotten?  Does he get the amount of credit HE should get??

Etc., etc., etc.  Are you getting the point?

The difference, and I assume it's the point of the OP, is that those guys haven't gotten hardly any negative venom spewed their way like BA did.  Thankfully it's gone away mostly as of late.  But I could only imagine what would be said on here had he missed a throw in the 4th quarter this past weekend.  Probably "There's the BA we all know". 

And most on here speak of Mallett and Wilson like they were gods (future first rounders, at least) and yet there is a good chance that BA is going to surpass them this year in single season success, but there is debate if he'll ever get a crack in the NFL at all. 

HotlantaHog

Ryan Mallett got a fair amount of grief after losses as I recall too ... though he was on winning teams so maybe it was small by comparison if only because there were fewer losses to focus on.

Some of this just goes with the territory, as I assume Brandon Allen knows. The QB can get too much blame for losses, sometimes too much credit for wins (when receivers, the offensive line, running backs, the defense and special teams all matter too.)

Hogarusa

From Hogville message board talk?  no
From everyone else? Yes
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

wholehog92

The old adage is true.  QBs get to much credit for wins and to much blame for losses.  The best I can tell BA is getting a lot of credit for his good play on here and he took too much blame for the losses on here. 

I think that's typical and expected at any SEC school short of Vandy and KY.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

gmarv

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 23, 2015, 01:19:26 pm
Ryan Mallett got a fair amount of grief after losses as I recall too ... though he was on winning teams so maybe it was small by comparison if only because there were fewer losses to focus on.

Some of this just goes with the territory, as I assume Brandon Allen knows. The QB can get too much blame for losses, sometimes too much credit for wins (when receivers, the offensive line, running backs, the defense and special teams all matter too.)
I sure did get tired of seeing ba just getting beatdown on here thou.so its good that hes finishing out so strong.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 23, 2015, 01:34:47 pm
Let's be real honest, with our horrible defense and kicking game, we totally suck without BA

Point in fact, we don't know how our offense would do with AA right now since we've not seen him play the position, so your point is not really a valid one.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Kevin

never seen such a turnaround in season, than his
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

tophawg19

BA is in a uniquely odd situation. his overall W-L record may be among the worst but he looks like he may have the best 6 games consecutively in hog history
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 23, 2015, 02:08:00 pm
BA is in a uniquely odd situation. his overall W-L record may be among the worst but he looks like he may have the best 6 games consecutively in hog history

It's tantalizing to think how good we would have been last year if he would have played at this level.

Of course, that kind of discounts the difference BA working with CDE has made in his play, and I think that is significant.

razorsharp94

Brandon Allen has had one of the greatest 5 game runs of any QB in CFB history.  He's been great!  His best game probably was against Miss State considering he had people in his face all night long and made throws all night long.  That said, he's been good this season but he has been nowhere near this good for his career.  His numbers back it up.  Had he played like this last year we would have been more like 10-2 than 6-6.  Glad he is going out with a bang.

TeufelHog

Bottom-line with respect to "getting credit" . . . your team has to WIN.  What's his W-L record this year?  Last year?  Previous?  Career?

Let's not confuse efforts with results.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: TeufelHog on November 23, 2015, 02:20:25 pm
Bottom-line with respect to "getting credit" . . . your team has to WIN.  What's his W-L record this year?  Last year?  Previous?  Career?

Let's not confuse efforts with results.

This thread is about his individual performance.  Winning and losing is a team thing, brotha'.

There's no denying that after missing a few key throws early in the season, he has performed head and shoulders above nearly every other QB in the country.  Just look at the loss vs. MState:  what more could he have done?  He deserves credit for his performance this year.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

TeufelHog

Exactly my point!  This is a team sport.  He shouldn't get any credit . . . or any discredit.  He has had a great year, but so has . . . "fill in the blank here" . . . on this team.  No reason to discuss individual performance.

Too many fans confusing efforts with results.

JenksHawg

Quote from: The Chief on November 23, 2015, 02:51:49 pm
This thread is about his individual performance.  Winning and losing is a team thing, brotha'.

There's no denying that after missing a few key throws early in the season, he has performed head and shoulders above nearly every other QB in the country.  Just look at the loss vs. MState:  what more could he have done?  He deserves credit for his performance this year.

Individual performance (at QB) is also a team thing, "brotha".  A lot of people have said the 7 TDs were all on BA, but anything that goes wrong is on the line, or CBB, or the receivers, etc.  He's got TONS of credit for his recent streak of excellent play.  As far as what more could he have done against MSU?  Not under throw Reed on the play that could have sealed it?

woodhog14

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 23, 2015, 11:42:07 am
A good few people around here have been saying he is a good QB.  He has not deserved what he has been giving the 2 years prior to this year. 

He deserves all the accolades possible from razorback fans for what he's gone through and just taken it in stride.  From Smile through such an awful season in BB first year to 4 OC's in 5 years and 3 head coaches.  He has been good for us.  We can only hope we don't see much drop off next year. 
Totally agree! Good post!

PonderinHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 23, 2015, 02:10:05 pm
It's tantalizing to think how good we would have been last year if he would have played at this level.

Of course, that kind of discounts the difference BA working with CDE has made in his play, and I think that is significant.
He's also been healthy all year.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: JenksHawg on November 23, 2015, 08:27:50 pm
Individual performance (at QB) is also a team thing, "brotha".  A lot of people have said the 7 TDs were all on BA, but anything that goes wrong is on the line, or CBB, or the receivers, etc.  He's got TONS of credit for his recent streak of excellent play.  As far as what more could he have done against MSU?  Not under throw Reed on the play that could have sealed it?

I called Teufel Hog "brotha'" because he's my brother-in-arms.

That being said, BA went from goat to high performing QB.  He can't be perfect on every throw. He did everything asked of him. The receivers, backs, and line did their parts. That doesn't mean BA shouldn't get credit in a "Does BA get the credit he deserves" thread.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

urkillnmesmalls

It's simple.  BA this season is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the BA in 2013.  Does anyone here think that if we had the 2013 BA out there, we would have this many wins?  He's playing with much more poise, no horrible mistakes, and he's not throwing into the 10th row the minute he feels pressure.  He hangs in there, and finds someone, or makes smart scrambles. 

With the unexpected dramatic drop off we've had on defense, we better count our lucky stars BA has played as well as he has.  He still has a tendency to tense up late in games, but he's getting better with each chance he has to perform under pressure.  I hope he does well in the NFL.     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Lol

Cinco de Hogo

The problem is that a lot of people on this board get all bent out of shape about people who don't know much about football.  Those people start threads or make comments in one of two ways, either trashing something or somebody or praising the exact same thing.

Most knowledgeable fans know it's not one thing so they don't absolutely trash or praise one thing.  You can praise BA and he deserves it for the improvement of his play over the course of the year.  However, this offensive explosion is not all about BA, it's about "Identity", it's about coaches coming together to put an offensive unit in a position to win despite all the injuries.

Kudos to all of them!

Bowfishinghogfan

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 23, 2015, 12:10:22 pm
Are you trying to say Allen won't be drafted because of his W-L record in college?

He's a lock to be drafted at this point.

He's not even in the top 15 or 20 qb's in the draft. Wilson was also thought to be the first qb taken by many here. There are hundreds of qb's that don't make it to the league. It's not a bad thing that a qb doesn't play in the pros. Some get to attached to the player because of the school but he won't play in the pros and that isn't a jab at him. Dak probably won't either and he is the best qb in the sec.

Danny J

Yep although I like this style of ball much better than what we had under CBP. Just need to fix the D. This is the best stretch of games, last 5 games, that I have ever seen by a Hog QB. Ever. Come on....6 TD's in a game? How about 7 passing TD's and 1 receiving TD in a single game? All done in regulation? Against a SEC D? Best stretch I have ever seen.

Danny J

I would guess he would be drafted late. He really has it all right now. His footwork looks great. He can throw on the run. He can scramble. He can go under center or shotgun. He is good at reading D's. He can make a lot of throws right now that many NFL QB's make. His only downside is his size and his durability. Those are the only two things I think that will hurt him draft wise.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Danny J on November 23, 2015, 09:51:56 pm
Yep although I like this style of ball much better than what we had under CBP. Just need to fix the D.

Don't know if that quite made sense from an offensive viewpoint or a defensive viewpoint since the last two years Petrino's defense only gave up an avg of about 23 points per game.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bowfishinghogfan on November 23, 2015, 09:48:44 pm
He's not even in the top 15 or 20 qb's in the draft. Wilson was also thought to be the first qb taken by many here. There are hundreds of qb's that don't make it to the league. It's not a bad thing that a qb doesn't play in the pros. Some get to attached to the player because of the school but he won't play in the pros and that isn't a jab at him. Dak probably won't either and he is the best qb in the sec.

Nobody even has a legit top 15 list it's 6 months till the draft. Kiper said 2 weeks ago he could be picked as high a 5th rounder. So he is considered a borderline draft pick by some at this point.

And a lot changes in 6 months. I've see several kids be projected top 10picks in Mock Drafts at this point fall to 3 or 4th rounds.

I'm not guaranteeing he gets drafted as the majority of guys with a Mid round grade don't actually get draft. But it's not crazy talk. Statistically he has outplayed Tyler Wilson's Jr year and I personally think he has shown similar physical traits.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Bowfishinghogfan on November 23, 2015, 09:48:44 pm

Dak WILL be drafted, he's rated as the #7 QB available, BA isn't even rated in the top 25.

TebowHater

As far as what more could he have done against MSU?  Not under throw Reed on the play that could have sealed it?

We scored on that possession...a whole 2 plays later...so nope, not even that.

BA was perfect on final drive. Starts at 1 hour 21 min:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a3Sq2Sc-1E

devildoghawg

Allen might be the best pro style college quarterback in the country right now.  He's going to get drafted, and with a excellent performance against Zoo and our bowl matchup, he might go as early as the late 2nd or 3rd round.  People underestimate how valuable a calm, consistent QB is in the NFL.  It rare to have a kid with so much talent that's actually humble and keeps his nose clean.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 23, 2015, 09:57:55 pm
Don't know if that quite made sense from an offensive viewpoint or a defensive viewpoint since the last two years Petrino's defense only gave up an avg of about 23 points per game.

It's not cool to play that game, cherry picking stats like that.

Last year we had a top 10 defense.  Consistent with what CBB produced at UW, and something Bobby won't produce.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: devildoghawg on November 23, 2015, 10:26:06 pm
Allen might be the best pro style college quarterback in the country right now.  He's going to get drafted, and with a excellent performance against Zoo and our bowl matchup, he might go as early as the late 2nd or 3rd round.  People underestimate how valuable a calm, consistent QB is in the NFL.  It rare to have a kid with so much talent that's actually humble and keeps his nose clean.

Again, you're being a homer. The guys who get paid to evaluate QBs aren't talking about him being a 2nd rounder, they aren't even talking about him being of the top 25 QBs that will be available in the draft, and honestly, this is a pretty weak class of QBs, no one really stands out.

TebowHater

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 23, 2015, 10:42:56 pm
Again, you're being a homer. The guys who get paid to evaluate QBs aren't talking about him being a 2nd rounder, they aren't even talking about him being of the top 25 QBs that will be available in the draft, and honestly, this is a pretty weak class of QBs, no one really stands out.

The sample size is small, but the last 5 games have been the best QB play I have ever seen by any QB. Again, sample size small...but the way he is playing is remarkable.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: TebowHater on November 23, 2015, 10:44:31 pm
The sample size is small, but the last 5 games have been the best QB play I have ever seen by any QB. Again, sample size small...but the way he is playing is remarkable.

Oh, I agree, and not being drafted doesn't somehow diminish what he's done at Arkansas. Lots of really good college players never go pro.

In another thread I just ranked my personal opinion of starting Razorback QBs since joining the SEC and I rated Allen #6. Two of the guys I rated ahead of him got a few years in the NFL at QB, another one got a shot , and another got a few years at a completely different position. The other had NO interest from the NFL.

It isn't a knock on a college player to say he isn't bound for the pros, it's really not. I'd be SHOCKED if he gets drafted, I would not be surprised to see him sign as a free agent and get a shot via that route.