Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Special Teams Coach

Started by S.A.D.C, November 23, 2015, 09:15:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

S.A.D.C

I don't know how you don't hire a special teams coach.  This team has and will be in a lot of close games.  You can't let one entire phase of the game be left to a position coach's spare time and expect good results. 

Ragnar Hogbrok

I'm pretty sure there's a limit to how many coaches are allowed on staff. I think special teams is usually an additional duty type position of a coordinator.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

a0ashle

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 23, 2015, 09:15:03 am
I don't know how you don't hire a special teams coach.  This team has and will be in a lot of close games.  You can't let one entire phase of the game be left to a position coach's spare time and expect good results.

Who do you get rid of?

jkstock04

I saw mentioned the other day that the special teams coach is also a position coach. That seems a bit counter productive to me. It's a decent topic of  discussiom considering how our special teams seems to be lacking.

Is this normal practice among other SEC teams?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PorkRinds

Some hog fans have the BEST ideas...

Tim Harris

Very few teams in college football are going to have someone who only coaches special teams.

jkstock04

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 09:19:26 am
Very few teams in college football are going to have someone who only coaches special teams.
What did we do in the past? Was John L Smith also a position coach?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BPsTheMan

looks like we might achieve a new low here..

Let's see how it pans out..

BPsTheMan

...or maybe this is an excellent troll thread..

OTR, is that you?

Tim Harris

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 09:20:34 am
What did we do in the past? Was John L Smith also a position coach?

OLB I believe but yes he also coached a position.

Tim Harris

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 09:19:03 am
I saw mentioned the other day that the special teams coach is also a position coach. That seems a bit counter productive to me. It's a decent topic of  discussiom considering how our special teams seems to be lacking.

The only team in the SEC that I could find with a dedicated special teams coach is South Carolina.

jkstock04

A quick look around the SEC shows this is actually common practice. Special teams coach always coaches linebackers or tight ends something like that. I did not know that.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Only so many coaching spots on a staff.

As for the fg block Sat night, a player who has been on the fg team for any length of time, any football player at all for that matter, should know on a kick you NEVER let a guy go inside of you. Make them take the long way around to get by you.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

S.A.D.C

My OP wasn't clear... I get that the special teams coach usually has other responsibilities.  But Hogs have it set up where all the special teams have a different coordinator.  So one assistant handles FGs and another handles punt.  Not sure of how it breaks down exactly but we do not have one coach who is Position Coach/"Special Teams Coordinator."  Maybe it isn't hiring someone as much as it is consolidating the responsibilities to one person.  Afterall, these are plays for "giant chunks of land."

BPsTheMan

Quote from: S.A.D.C on November 23, 2015, 09:37:42 am
My OP wasn't clear... I get that the special teams coach usually has other responsibilities.  But Hogs have it set up where all the special teams have a different coordinator.  So one assistant handles FGs and another handles punt.  Not sure of how it breaks down exactly but we do not have one coach who is Position Coach/"Special Teams Coordinator."  Maybe it isn't hiring someone as much as it is consolidating the responsibilities to one person.  Afterall, these are plays for "giant chunks of land."

yes we do - Jemal Singleton

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 23, 2015, 09:40:22 am

Didn't realize he had all of it....thanks....  Well never mind then.  Just fix the Defense. 

Inhogswetrust

November 23, 2015, 09:44:07 am #16 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:01:07 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 09:19:03 am

That is true at almost ALL colleges. Due to constraints on the number of coaches it is the place were almost all coaches make some sort of sacrifice. How many times has a really good team lost a chance at a NC because of special team mistakes. It happens and I bet a lot!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BPsTheMan

Mark Richt mixes it up

one offensive position coach takes kickoff team, punt team

one defensive position coach takes kickoff return team, punt return team

something like that

Hoggish1

Quote from: The Chief on November 23, 2015, 09:17:19 am
I'm pretty sure there's a limit to how many coaches are allowed on staff. I think special teams is usually an additional duty type position of a coordinator.

It sometimes gets taken by the HC, so that position coaches don't have to be burdened with it (Beemer).

There needs to be a position just for the special teams coach, since the kicking game is 1/3rd of the game of football.

NCAA needs to allow for one more coaching position.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 23, 2015, 09:56:50 am
It sometimes gets taken by the HC, so that position coaches don't have to be burdened with it (Beemer).

There needs to be a position just for the special teams coach, since the kicking game is 1/3rd of the game of football.

NCAA needs to allow for one more coaching position.

Beamer at VT made a career off of doing it himself. I agree one more coach would help. That doesn't mean most coaches would still use that "extra" coach simply for and only for Special teams. Some might add another D or O coach instead.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tim Harris

If we could just get Venables to come coach our special teams.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 10:06:05 am
If we could just get Venables to come coach our special teams.

You really haven't been too active lately and you start this, lol???

BPsTheMan

James Shibest is still one of the best

Tim Harris

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2015, 10:10:14 am
You really haven't been too active lately and you start this, lol???

Unfortunately life got in the way of me being able to be on here much. 

Luckily all that is resolved which is good because it is getting close to recruiting season & the coaching carousel which is some of my favorite parts of college football.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 23, 2015, 10:20:39 am
Unfortunately life got in the way of me being able to be on here much. 

Luckily all that is resolved which is good because it is getting close to recruiting season & the coaching carousel which is some of my favorite parts of college football.

Hey Tim,

Why don't you tell us what you think the problem is with our special teams and defense? Is it the players, the scheme, or what?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Tim Harris

I'm not a coach so I don't have a clue.

From a fans standpoint our defense has been disappointing much of the year.  We lost a few key players but I don't know that is enough to have had as much of a drop off as we have.

Special Teams have been ok for the most part.  That is just what is on everyones mind right now because it cost us a game.

bphi11ips

Special teams is an afterthought for many coaches.  Not sure whether it is for Bielema or not.  Frank Broyles' trademark was special teams.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgXi

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 23, 2015, 10:14:17 am

kinda lost track of james.  what's he up to these days?

is hootie sharing any of his stay at home pay with his former assistants?

Tim Harris

Quote from: hawgXi on November 23, 2015, 11:07:14 am
kinda lost track of james.  what's he up to these days?

is hootie sharing any of his stay at home pay with his former assistants?

Coaching with Memphis

scruf

Garbage argument, garbage thread.

Pork Twain

Which position coach would you replace and with who?  You can only have so many coaches.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Jim Harris

Arkansas has always assigned a position coach to also coach special teams. This didn't just start Saturday.
Frank Beamer coaches the special teams at VaTech. Bielema takes on part of the special teams here; Segrest also coaches special teams. Arkansas has an every-Tuesday meeting devoted to special teams in all areas. I imagine tomorrow's (or, if they moved it because of Friday's game, today's) meeting will be a lively one among the staff.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

longpig

Quote from: The Chief on November 23, 2015, 09:17:19 am

I believe the limit is on what you can have on the sideline.
Don't be scared, be smart.

bigdaddyhawg

To special teams coach, or not? That is the question ...

How many coaches does it take for a kid to freaking KNOW HE ALWAYS HAS TO BLOCK THE INSIDE RUSHER???

He has probably known that since he was a sophomore in high school.  You could hire 10 special teams coaches and he still would have whiffed on that block.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

rogersvillemohog

Did someone say special teams coach?

Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

HogInFlorida

Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

HogInFlorida

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 23, 2015, 11:44:07 am
Arkansas has always assigned a position coach to also coach special teams.

This isn't true
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

DiamondHogFan

presidenthog

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 23, 2015, 09:40:22 am
wrong rory seagrest coaches special teams. the guy before him Charlie partridge coached special teams

presidenthog

ricepig

Quote from: presidenthog on November 23, 2015, 05:19:52 pm
wrong rory seagrest coaches special teams. the guy before him Charlie partridge coached special teams

Wrong, Seagrest coaches kickers, Singleton is the Special Teams Coordinator.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

Jack The BN

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on November 23, 2015, 10:14:17 am

I remember that fans weren't too happy with him after the 2008 Cotton Bowl. One fan yelled "Shibest, you better get to Ole Miss quick!" at him as he was leaving the stadium.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

IronHog

Quote from: scruf on November 23, 2015, 11:32:00 am
Garbage argument, garbage thread.

Disagree.

BB obviously doesn't focus on special teams and it cost him in close games.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2015, 05:27:01 pm
Wrong, Seagrest coaches kickers, Singleton is the Special Teams Coordinator.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/roster/

Long story short.......they don't focus on special teams much since nobody knows who actually coaches them....

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2015, 05:38:52 pm

Long story short.......they don't focus on special teams much since nobody knows who actually coaches them....

Ignorant story clarified, yes, the players know who coaches their unit. You may not know, but I don't care, nor do many.

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2015, 05:43:07 pm
Ignorant story clarified, yes, the players know who coaches their unit. You may not know, but I don't care, nor do many.

We don't know because it's not a priority.

I know who the OL coach is, I know what BB cooks his wife for breakfast, ugly shoes are cool......STs are clearly an afterthought.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2015, 09:33:59 am
Only so many coaching spots on a staff.

As for the fg block Sat night, a player who has been on the fg team for any length of time, any football player at all for that matter, should know on a kick you NEVER let a guy go inside of you. Make them take the long way around to get by you.
I'm sure he knows that, he got beat, he was filling in for an injured player.  it happens.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2015, 05:53:16 pm

We don't know because it's not a priority.

I know who the OL coach is, I know what BB cooks his wife for breakfast, ugly shoes are cool......STs are clearly an afterthought.

Ok, I'm sorry you didn't know.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2015, 05:43:07 pm
I only care when they screw up.

presidenthog

Quote from: ricepig on November 23, 2015, 05:57:57 pm
Ok, I'm sorry you didn't know.
well I had not checked since singleton had gotten here if there was a change up in coaching assignments since rory has been here 2 years and has had special teams assigned with him since he got here( he also had done special teams with the eagles) also since i had not heard CBB say in any presser ever that singleton had taken over that responsibility I didn't know.

in saying this we should have special teams assigned to 1 coach.