Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cold, Hard Facts About Our Defense

Started by bigdaddyhawg, November 22, 2015, 04:41:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 26, 2015, 01:44:48 pm
Should have been Joe Adams. PERIOD. Also, I believe McFadden could have been an AMAZING safety, but can find no fault with playing him at RB instead.

But you're point is spot on, Arkansas (the state) doesn't have enough strong, fast athletes to put players on both sides of the ball, so the ones that we do produce usually play offense in high school, and then college, if that's where they go.

Myself, I'm hoping Jordan Jones get's converted to DB, I think he could be a good one.

Good point and true on those two guys.

Both probably projected better in the NFL as DBs despite being very good offensive players.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: IronHog on November 26, 2015, 01:48:45 pm

Good point and true on those two guys.

Both probably projected better in the NFL as DBs despite being very good offensive players.

Joe Adams for sure did. He may have been a cheater but when Pete Carrol tells you "son I'll mold you into an NFL all Pro corner" and you insist on playing wide receiver, you dumb.

Oklahawg

Quote from: IronHog on November 26, 2015, 01:36:40 pm

Winston was off the charts physically but appeared to put out little effort....

You'll note I did not mention Winston.

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 26, 2015, 01:44:48 pm
Should have been Joe Adams. PERIOD. Also, I believe McFadden could have been an AMAZING safety, but can find no fault with playing him at RB instead.

But you're point is spot on, Arkansas (the state) doesn't have enough strong, fast athletes to put players on both sides of the ball, so the ones that we do produce usually play offense in high school, and then college, if that's where they go.

Myself, I'm hoping Jordan Jones get's converted to DB, I think he could be a good one.

McFadden was one of the elite RBs of all time. Hard to suggest he should have played a different postion. I do remember vividly the banter about him being a safety.

Adams and Wright both had questionable hands. Might have benefited from at least being threatened with a move to defense. Both did enough with the ball in their hands to justify playing where they played.

Your point with those examples is noted: not enough talent to get both offensive and defensive prospects with elite speed.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 26, 2015, 05:54:57 pm
You'll note I did not mention Winston.

McFadden was one of the elite RBs of all time. Hard to suggest he should have played a different postion. I do remember vividly the banter about him being a safety.

Adams and Wright both had questionable hands. Might have benefited from at least being threatened with a move to defense. Both did enough with the ball in their hands to justify playing where they played.

Your point with those examples is noted: not enough talent to get both offensive and defensive prospects with elite speed.

Yep, you'll remember what Pete Carroll publicly said at about that time " I only take out of state players when I feel like they are future first round draft picks" that's tough bro. Arkansas doesn't have that luxury of instate talent to choose from, and once in awhile when they DO come along, they are gong to have to, some of them, be convinced to play defense.

I agree , both Adams and McFadden did enough on offense that a person can't criticize the coach who chose to play them there, and in Adams case, I have no doubt that it is true that Adams wasn't coming to Arkansas without a promise of playing WR.

MasterChiefHog

Rob Smith is in his 2nd year. Let him get his defense in place. A full defense recruited by him to play his way will be EPIC for us! Go Hogs.
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.