Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cold, Hard Facts About Our Defense

Started by bigdaddyhawg, November 22, 2015, 04:41:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 23, 2015, 02:36:51 pm
Last year he got all the credit with the great Robb Smith defense and got extra cash.  This year its the players fault everyone that knows how to throw the forward pass is putting up 50 points.  If it is the players, who is responsible for recruiting them?

I am not saying its Robb Smith's fault but Arkansas is the only place in the world that gives the coaches credit win you win and the players the blame when you lose. I was told growing up, the players win the games and the coaches lose them.

Players win games and coaches lose them is an attempt to not hurt player's feelings , that's all.  I mean even this board practices that some . How many times have we heard "don't bash players" when in fact sometimes a loss IS a player's fault. I"ll use an example  from a previous coach so as not to bash any current players as an example.

Reggie Fish cost us our first SEC championship, that's a fact. Anyone here honestly believe that Houston Nutt and company hadn't coached that kid to get out of the way if the punt went beyond the 10 yard line? Of course they taught him that, as had no doubt every coach he'd had since peewee football. Now of course you can play "yeah but who recruited him" but the fact of the matter is, muffing that play was 100% on him, even if he wasn't an SEC caliber athlete he was at least good enough to know to get away from that punt.

As for the differences between last year and this year's defense. Is it really so hard to understand that former players who are now in the NFL are why we have regressed defensively? I really doubt we EVER have the depth to lose multiple players to the NFL in any given year and just keep on trucking, but we certainly didn't this year.

bigdaddyhawg

Last year he got all the credit with the great Robb Smith defense and got extra cash.  This year its the players fault everyone that knows how to throw the forward pass is putting up 50 points.  If it is the players, who is responsible for recruiting them?

Well, if Robb Smith had been here 3-4 years ago, then I'd agree 100%.  Since this is the middle of his SECOND year here, I'd have to say he doesn't bear that responsibility just yet.

Besides, other coaches on the staff are also responsible for recruiting for our defense, not just CRS.

At any rate, in time it will absolutely fall on CBB and his entire staff if they can't get the players needed to field quality teams.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

presidenthog

Clint on Bo's show says if depth at LB is the issue that we have to play more aggressive on defense. playing zone all game we are letting offenses do whatever they want and we aren't doing anything to put any pressure on them.

IronHog

Quote from: presidenthog on November 23, 2015, 03:07:44 pm
Clint on Bo's show says if depth at LB is the issue that we have to play more aggressive on defense. playing zone all game we are letting offenses do whatever they want and we aren't doing anything to put any pressure on them.

They have no starting LBs much less depth.

Offense still failed when it mattered.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

LZH

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 23, 2015, 10:08:50 ama secondary is secondary.

Sorry. But a good secondary would have not allowed Mississippi State to put up over 30 points on us the other night.

If I need to explain further, please let me know.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on November 23, 2015, 01:30:12 pm
We do none of the above against spread teams. We have forced plenty of non scoring drives ( either by punt or to or missed fg ) against "traditional" teams like LSU, Bama, even Aub and A&m. But the 3 teams that really spread it out and had the QB to do it, TT, MSu and om, the Hogs D could hardly get off the field.

Yeah, your right. I should have specified against spread teams. Don't forget that Auburn had plenty of drops.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

LZH

Quote from: steefhog on November 23, 2015, 01:09:58 pm
By definition, a shootout means the defenses aren't effective.

There it is. Turn out the lights, the party is over....

razorbackkid

Quote from: LZH on November 23, 2015, 04:28:23 pm
There it is. Turn out the lights, the party is over....

But I just got here!
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Lake City Hog

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AkylqYJXjOztZw_8xSTpATmbvZx4?p=youtube+arkansas+vs+texas+tech+2014&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1

Watch a little of this and tell me that we aren't playing differently. At the 1 min mark Ellis is in the backfield as quickly as the back catches the little swing pass. At the 1:35 mark pause the vid just before the snap and look at just how close our DB's were to the receivers.

At the 4:31 mark look at the DB at the bottom of the screen--close to the LOS also Ellis is already shading towards the TE coming across the middle. By the way on that play we rushed 2 guys!! At the 6:15 mark look how quickly the safety closed on the receiver and flattened him!

Last one at the 7:50 mark on a 4th down throw look at how long it took the QB to find a guy to throw to and how quickly he was tackled after the catch.

If you can watch that video and not understand that we are playing MUCH differently then you need to see your eye doctor! We were playing the receivers MUCH tighter than we are this year with basically the exact same DB's. The tight coverage actually helped the D'Line to get more sacks.

WE HAVE CHANGED OUR DEFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY!!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: razorbackkid on November 23, 2015, 06:25:54 pm
But I just got here!

Led is that way. Once he gets his he doesnt much care about anybody else. In my day we called him Bogart!  ;)

Now lets see how quickly he replies this.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

IronHog

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 23, 2015, 07:25:00 pm
https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AkylqYJXjOztZw_8xSTpATmbvZx4?p=youtube+arkansas+vs+texas+tech+2014&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1

Watch a little of this and tell me that we aren't playing differently. At the 1 min mark Ellis is in the backfield as quickly as the back catches the little swing pass. At the 1:35 mark pause the vid just before the snap and look at just how close our DB's were to the receivers.

At the 4:31 mark look at the DB at the bottom of the screen--close to the LOS also Ellis is already shading towards the TE coming across the middle. By the way on that play we rushed 2 guys!! At the 6:15 mark look how quickly the safety closed on the receiver and flattened him!

Last one at the 7:50 mark on a 4th down throw look at how long it took the QB to find a guy to throw to and how quickly he was tackled after the catch.

If you can watch that video and not understand that we are playing MUCH differently then you need to see your eye doctor! We were playing the receivers MUCH tighter than we are this year with basically the exact same DB's. The tight coverage actually helped the D'Line to get more sacks.

No effective WLBer or nickle this year.

Stalemate DL+no backers/nickle+small secondary=spread disaster.

Boarcephus

I am not saying its Robb Smith's fault but Arkansas is the only place in the world that gives the coaches credit win you win and the players the blame when you lose. I was told growing up, the players win the games and the coaches lose them.

What I'm gathering as the season goes on is Robb Smith is an elite coach when he has elite talent but an average coach with average talent.  That might work at Bama and LSU where this elite talent is lined up year after year hoping to be selected to play for you but we're not either of those two.  An elite coach is who can do more with less and not the other way around.   124th out of 128 on pass defense doesn't throw you into the "elite" coaching ranks, IMO. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 23, 2015, 02:05:29 pm
You are the one that's gotta despise what the Hogs have become...forever you have been an opponent against high scoring/poor defensive play.

Well...guess what? That's pretty much what we have right now. Supposedly this is the opposite of what we would see under Bielema...interesting how this has evolved.

The offense is just taking what teams are giving. MSu committed to stop the run, they were not going to let the hogs run the ball and have 6+min drives. the blitzed almost every play. Hogs could not run the ball into 6 or 7 guys, but with 2 te's like they have, as long as the rb picked up the free blitzer, BA was going to have someone open every time. Basically the same thing happened at old misses as well. I am not opposed to high scoring. You can score lots of points running the triple option like Navy does.

As for the defense, that has always been my real concern just because of how bereft of talent at LB and DB Ar HS football is. Quality linebackers are hard enough to find, and to get them to by pass schools in their own state to come here is seemingly impossible. There are many many good wr's out there both in and out of state, same for rb's and most other spots, but lb and cb seem to be really hard to come by.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2015, 07:46:26 pm

Excuses! Excuses! Excuses!

Youngsta71701

And there it is.

bigdaddyhawg

OMG, friend.  Obviously they are playing differently this year -- they've got a different reality they are having to deal with in terms of the players they have on that defense after last year's losses.

To see that reality is one thing (with your own eyes), but to make a huge logic jump to forming a conclusion that CBB/CRS have "changed their philosophy" is questionable, to say the least.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 24, 2015, 09:12:44 am
Excuses! Excuses! Excuses!

Wow.  It's just the reality of things as they stand today, not making excuses.

Unless you think that somehow, magically our LB's can be much faster, and our corners be must bigger, and our safeties be more experienced and play with great instinct, and our DE's become explosive pass rushers.

Geez.

HawgTide

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2015, 07:46:26 pm

Yes. We lost a crap ton of defensive talent from last year and sadly we couldn't replace it this year.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: HawgTide on November 24, 2015, 09:43:03 am
Yes. We lost a crap ton of defensive talent from last year and sadly we couldn't replace it this year.

Honestly, I think our losses and our inability to fill them has kind of been the "perfect storm" kind of a deal.

I mean, who'd have thought losing Allan Turner would have been such a big deal?  Everyone thought Josh Liddell would step in, boom, no problem!!

We miss Allan Turner.  I think we miss Spaight the most, but we miss every one of them HUGE!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2015, 09:31:06 am
Wow.  It's just the reality of things as they stand today, not making excuses.

Unless you think that somehow, magically our LB's can be much faster, and our corners be must bigger, and our safeties be more experienced and play with great instinct, and our DE's become explosive pass rushers.

Geez.

Did we have big corners last year? Just asking...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2015, 09:50:43 am
Honestly, I think our losses and our inability to fill them has kind of been the "perfect storm" kind of a deal.

I mean, who'd have thought losing Allan Turner would have been such a big deal?  Everyone thought Josh Liddell would step in, boom, no problem!!

We miss Allan Turner.  I think we miss Spaight the most, but we miss every one of them HUGE!!

So our defensive talent is so bad that we should be ranked 124 out of 128 in pass defense?

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 24, 2015, 10:03:59 am
So our defensive talent is so bad that we should be ranked 124 out of 128 in pass defense?

Absolutely not. What it is is that our defensive talent is to the point that we can stop either the run, or the pass, but not both. We have chosen to focus on stopping the run.

superior_wang

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 24, 2015, 10:12:48 am
Absolutely not. What it is is that our defensive talent is to the point that we can stop either the run, or the pass, but not both. We have chosen to focus on stopping the run.
sorry, just laughing my head off at  the idea we were focused on stopping the run last week...jesus.. Dak  could've ran for 300 yards if he had wanted to, right up the gut.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: superior_wang on November 24, 2015, 10:22:41 am
sorry, just laughing my head off at  the idea we were focused on stopping the run last week...jesus.. Dak  could've ran for 300 yards if he had wanted to, right up the gut.

And what did all world Fournette do the week before?

Even considering Dak, we are the #18 rush defense in the nation.

hogsanity

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 24, 2015, 10:30:48 am

They are pretty good at stopping runs by rb's. One of the biggest plays in the old misses game was the 3rd and 1 near midfield in the 3rd q when they stopped old misses and forced a punt. Did pretty well against Bama and we know what they did to LSU.

But, teams just do not try to run much on the hogs because passing on them is so easy.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 24, 2015, 10:30:48 am

That's because we knew LSU's quarterback couldn't throw a football in the ocean. Either way it goes we have to tighten up this defense somehow. Rather it's through recruiting or coaching. But in my opinion it all starts with coaching. The players have to do what the coaches ask them to do and the coaches have to have confidence in those players and give them a chance to play tighter coverage. How do we know what these corners can do if the coaches don't give them a chance? At least try it. Nothing else has worked so far. People coaching has to come into play somewhere. We just can't blame it all on the players. Is it not up to the coaches to develop them, make them better, and put them in the right positions to succeed? Look what Enos has done for Allen.

AugustaHog

Quote from: Aporkalypse Now on November 23, 2015, 02:59:04 pm
Players win games and coaches lose them is an attempt to not hurt player's feelings , that's all.  I mean even this board practices that some . How many times have we heard "don't bash players" when in fact sometimes a loss IS a player's fault. I"ll use an example  from a previous coach so as not to bash any current players as an example.

Reggie Fish cost us our first SEC championship, that's a fact. Anyone here honestly believe that Houston Nutt and company hadn't coached that kid to get out of the way if the punt went beyond the 10 yard line? Of course they taught him that, as had no doubt every coach he'd had since peewee football. Now of course you can play "yeah but who recruited him" but the fact of the matter is, muffing that play was 100% on him, even if he wasn't an SEC caliber athlete he was at least good enough to know to get away from that punt.

As for the differences between last year and this year's defense. Is it really so hard to understand that former players who are now in the NFL are why we have regressed defensively? I really doubt we EVER have the depth to lose multiple players to the NFL in any given year and just keep on trucking, but we certainly didn't this year.
Ultimately, what the players do (whether good or bad) comes back on the coaches.  Sure Reggie Fish had heard that he shouldn't go near that punt probably a thousand times, but it still comes back to the coach.  Just as Voelzke's missed block comes back to the current staff.  By the same token, they got credit for all the great plays vs. Auburn and Ole Miss.  It's the nature of the business.  Football's a cruel beast.  Coaching is a difficult field to be in because you can do everything right and somebody just be off that day and the whole plan go to crap.  With all that said, I don't love the schemes that Robb Smith is using this year.  Hopefully, he brings some magic for the Mizzou and bowl games.

IronHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2015, 09:50:43 am

T. Mitchell is a big reason they struggle so much vs spread teams.

You lose that crack nickle and it's hard to cover the middle.

These kids coming on will get better......they just lack the experience of 4-5th year players they replaced.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2015, 10:37:45 am
They are pretty good at stopping runs by rb's. One of the biggest plays in the old misses game was the 3rd and 1 near midfield in the 3rd q when they stopped old misses and forced a punt. Did pretty well against Bama and we know what they did to LSU.

But, teams just do not try to run much on the hogs because passing on them is so easy.

DL is SOLID overall just not very explosive.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 10:55:46 am
T. Mitchell is a big reason they struggle so much vs spread teams.

You lose that crack nickle and it's hard to cover the middle.

These kids coming on will get better......they just lack the experience of 4-5th year players they replaced.

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 10:56:49 am
DL is SOLID overall just not very explosive.

Yep.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 24, 2015, 10:03:59 am

Go back and reread some of the previous posts, they actually talk about this extensively.

It's a little deficiency here, a little inexperience here, a little lack of explosiveness here, a little lack of size here.  Any of them by itself doesn't really look all that bad.  It's not that our players are just dogs.

It's just RIGHT NOW those issues are all adding together in a very bad way for our pass coverage/pass defense.  And you get horrible results.

But in that scenario one player can make a lot of difference.  If Brown comes back next year as an explosive pass rusher, or Agim, or Bell, then the entire equation is changed to an extent.

And if one of the safeties has "the light come on", then that could make a ton of difference.

CRS has talked about the "fit" in coverage, which to me I hear him saying it's guys either not being fast enough to get back to his needed position, or it's a guy not reacting quickly enough due to inexperience and his hesitancy, and the result is a huge gap in coverage, which we are seeing quite often.

It's just not a night/day situation as some of you guys are making it out to be.  If you don't think Robb Smith is smart enough to figure something simple out, then you're not in tough with reality.

Biggus Piggus

This is overly simplistic. Last year, Arkansas had a better secondary than it has now. Tevin Mitchel was very good against slot receivers. Alan Turner did not make mistakes at strong safety. And D.J. Dean did not have turf toe. He was effective last year, can barely play this year. Other players who were expected to play well have been injured too. They thought they would get something out of Floyd, but he has not been healthy. Gaines has not either.

Philosophy does not decide what a team does when its personnel changes for the worse. Arkansas has too few players, playing too many snaps, with too many young guys getting exposed when they do the wrong thing. When Arkansas plays against a scheme designed to find the best matchups and test them, these weaknesses come out. Against offenses that run a small set of base plays and rely on power, Arkansas's defense looks much better.
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 24, 2015, 11:03:18 am
Go back and reread some of the previous posts, they actually talk about this extensively.

It's a little deficiency here, a little inexperience here, a little lack of explosiveness here, a little lack of size here.  Any of them by itself doesn't really look all that bad.  It's not that our players are just dogs.

It's just RIGHT NOW those issues are all adding together in a very bad way for our pass coverage/pass defense.  And you get horrible results.

But in that scenario one player can make a lot of difference.  If Brown comes back next year as an explosive pass rusher, or Agim, or Bell, then the entire equation is changed to an extent.

And if one of the safeties has "the light come on", then that could make a ton of difference.

CRS has talked about the "fit" in coverage, which to me I hear him saying it's guys either not being fast enough to get back to his needed position, or it's a guy not reacting quickly enough due to inexperience and his hesitancy, and the result is a huge gap in coverage, which we are seeing quite often.

It's just not a night/day situation as some of you guys are making it out to be.  If you don't think Robb Smith is smart enough to figure something simple out, then you're not in tough with reality.

Who is Brown?

HogInFlorida

Quote from: IronHog on November 23, 2015, 07:54:41 am

Defense changed momentum of the game with turnovers.  Offense gave it back with conservative play.

In the spread era TURNOVERS are far more important than stats.

Hog D won turnover battle and offense lost the game.  It's that simple.
Allen threw 7 TDs and the offense scored 50 points. It's mind-bogglingly asinine to say this is the offense's fault.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 24, 2015, 10:45:47 am
That's because we knew LSU's quarterback couldn't throw a football in the ocean. Either way it goes we have to tighten up this defense somehow. Rather it's through recruiting or coaching. But in my opinion it all starts with coaching. The players have to do what the coaches ask them to do and the coaches have to have confidence in those players and give them a chance to play tighter coverage. How do we know what these corners can do if the coaches don't give them a chance? At least try it. Nothing else has worked so far. People coaching has to come into play somewhere. We just can't blame it all on the players. Is it not up to the coaches to develop them, make them better, and put them in the right positions to succeed? Look what Enos has done for Allen.

I played safety at an FBS school, started as a Freshman, the learning curve is HUGE. It's not surprise when a coach doesn't just depend on young backs to play one on one defense.

jkstock04

So let me make sure i am getting this straight..none of the fault falls on the coaches as far as scheme/coaching. This is in fact a personal problem, in that 100% falls on the losses 3(?) starters from last year?

Weren't these the same guys/positions that 99% of everyone said in the summer we wouldn't miss and their backups would excell?

I honestly don't have a problem buying this. What I have a problem with is just because it's said on here or people are saying it doesn't make it true...just like all the BS we heard in the summer regarding this defense.

What All this shows is nobody (even the coaches to an extent) really know what the hell they are talking about until real play actually happens....that's when the real experts come out. Lol and of course act like this was obvious and anyone could see it coming a mile off.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 24, 2015, 11:08:25 am
Who is Brown?

Anthony Brown.  He showed some very nice edge speed last year.  He's redshirting, as I understand.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 24, 2015, 11:49:35 am
So let me make sure i am getting this straight..none of the fault falls on the coaches as far as scheme/coaching. This is in fact a personal problem, in that 100% falls on the losses 3(?) starters from last year?

Weren't these the same guys/positions that 99% of everyone said in the summer we wouldn't miss and their backups would excell?

I honestly don't have a problem buying this. What I have a problem with is just because it's said on here or people are saying it doesn't make it true...just like all the BS we heard in the summer regarding this defense.

What All this shows is nobody (even the coaches to an extent) really know what the hell they are talking about until real play actually happens....that's when the real experts come out. Lol and of course act like this was obvious and anyone could see it coming a mile off.

Yes, maybe, I think so, I agree.  That was a hard post to respond to.  A good one, though.

IronHog

Arkansas lost 5 very experienced starters. 2 DL, WLBer, Nickle, Safety.

This defense can play very well vs teams with poor QB but the only hope they have to stop a dynamic QB is to force a TO.

Several returning players that played well last year have not had good years this year.

The biggest issue IMO is Ellis' failure to move to WLB.  Smith needs a stud Will to run his scheme effectively......likely a good nickle too.

Biggus Piggus

My guess is a lot of this has to do with how we ain't foolin' anybody because our players have their hands full trying to learn what they are already trying to do. I remember a guy who always was about needing the players to learn his complex playbook, and he's now coaching at Pitt.
[CENSORED]!

IronHog

Quote from: HogInFlorida on November 24, 2015, 11:13:08 am
Allen threw 7 TDs and the offense scored 50 points. It's mind-bogglingly asinine to say this is the offense's fault.

Defense is bad but clearly did enough to win the game.

Offense had TWO chances to put it away and failed twice.....that was after salaving the game with multiple turnovers.

50 points is cool but it still comes down to crunch time.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 12:02:05 pm

Defense is bad but clearly did enough to win the game.

Offense had TWO chances to put it away and failed twice.....that was after salaving the game with multiple turnovers.

50 points is cool but it still comes down to crunch time.

This is absolutely brilliant satire. I can't believe nobody else gets the joke.
[CENSORED]!

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 24, 2015, 12:05:25 pm
This is absolutely brilliant satire. I can't believe nobody else gets the joke.

Offense took second quarter off and defense bailed them out.

Looking at stats and score without context is simplistic.

The offense had multiple chances to win the game and didn't.  How many chances do they get vs a QB like Dak?

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 12:08:30 pm

The offense had multiple chances to win the game and didn't.  How many chances do they get vs a QB like Dak?

defense had multiple chances to put the game away, like stop msu on any of their last 3 possessions ( or any of their scoring drives for that matter ). The D gave up 600+ yards and 51 pts, they did not do enough to win. If not for the offense, Hogs would have been embarrassed by 30 pts.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 12:08:30 pm

Stop! Stop! You're slaying me. Can't stop laughing. If somebody took you seriously, they would think you're a blooming idiot, not a brilliant comedian.
[CENSORED]!

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2015, 12:13:55 pm
defense had multiple chances to put the game away, like stop msu on any of their last 3 possessions ( or any of their scoring drives for that matter ). The D gave up 600+ yards and 51 pts, they did not do enough to win. If not for the offense, Hogs would have been embarrassed by 30 pts.

1.  Offense only scored 50 on extra help points off turnovers.

2.  Asking your defense to totally shut down opponents with good QB play under current rule structure is archaic thinking.

People on here are saying BA is the best QB ever and this is the best Hog offense of all time.......they couldn't get 2 yards in two tries and didn't score at the end of regulation.

O for 2 on game winner drives. 

This defense was bad but did enough to win the game.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 12:32:15 pm
2.  Asking your defense to totally shut down opponents with good QB play under current rule structure is archaic thinking.

This is another howler, please, my ribs are hurting now.

Deliberately leaving out the 17 points that Mississippi State scored against defensive juggernauts Auburn and Texas A&M, the 19 vs. LSU (and let's just forget about 6 vs. Alabama) ... it's sheer comedic genius.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: IronHog on November 24, 2015, 12:32:15 pm
O for 2 on game winner drives. 

And this cherry! Can't forget this. You were sly to omit the obvious fact that Arkansas was playing for the field goal + burning clock at the end of the game. Makes you look really dumb, if I weren't in on the joke. Good show!
[CENSORED]!

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 24, 2015, 12:38:46 pm
And this cherry! Can't forget this. You were sly to omit the obvious fact that Arkansas was playing for the field goal + burning clock at the end of the game. Makes you look really dumb, if I weren't in on the joke. Good show!

Results are all that matter.

Playing not to lose gets you beat.

People on here whined and complained about BPs defenses while he was going 21-5 and blowing out many good teams.  It ain't 1976 anymore.