Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robb Smith

Started by WorfHog, November 21, 2015, 11:56:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

We were able to make their running back look like a 1st team all SEC tailback though.
This is my non-signature signature.

mitchforheisman

Quote from: pignatious on November 22, 2015, 01:33:18 am
I don't know where he came up with this game plan. No blitzes? No pressure on Prescott the whole game. Just picked us to pieces because he stood untouched all night in the pocket. This loss is mostly on Smith.

If you blitz someone as good at scrambling as Dak, he would burn us with his feet. The best way to contain him is to not blitz. It gave us the better opportunity to stop them with our current talent. This is a young defense and only 3/4 through his second year.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: mitchforheisman on November 22, 2015, 09:00:59 am
If you blitz someone as good at scrambling as Dak, he would burn us with his feet. The best way to contain him is to not blitz. It gave us the better opportunity to stop them with our current talent. This is a young defense and only 3/4 through his second year.

When the pass defense wasn't working...:..:
This is my non-signature signature.

Boarcephus

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 21, 2015, 11:58:31 pm
We dont have the front four to get penetration to the backfield.

Is there some unwritten rule that says you can only use the front four to exert pressure?  IMHO, this is where coaching comes in.  You find a way with the talent you have on hand to do the job.  If what you're doing isn't working, try another approach.  As I said earlier, we rank 124th out of 128 in the nation in pass defense.  You can blame lack of talent just so long.  At some point you have to look at the coaching, the system or whatever but I guarantee 123 teams in the country don't all have better talent than we do.

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Dionysos25

Last year we were all concerned that we were going to lose him.... Strange how better players make you a better coach..
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dionysos25 on November 22, 2015, 09:16:01 am
Strange how better players make you a better coach..

Or just how average a coach is with average talent.  I go back to what was said about Bear Bryant....he could take yours and beat his and then take his and beat yours.  Don't see that here.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: WorfHog on November 21, 2015, 11:56:59 pm
This guy needs to get another hotel room with Bielema, because his defense this season has been anemic. Blame it on talent, but it's his job to get the talent and he just hasn't done it. This loss is 95% on him and this soft give away defense he's crafted. Trey flowers made it work. Maybe McTelvin Agim can be that guy for us next year, idk something needs to change.
We need another class and we are seeing how much we miss Flowers, Splaight and rest that D from last year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

heatmiser

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 22, 2015, 08:50:05 am
13pts with 3 mins to go. And again not my point. We did beat Auburn and Ole Piss who are spread team. QuickDraw is a moron
you are the moron if you think defense is the reason we won those games. We had to go for two at OM because we knew we couldn't stop them. Gave up 40+ points to horrible Auburn offense team.
Arkansas Razorbacks

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: heatmiser on November 22, 2015, 10:07:42 am
you are the moron if you think defense is the reason we won those games. We had to go for two at OM because we knew we couldn't stop them. Gave up 40+ points to horrible Auburn offense team.

Yeah, I never said they were. That why I continue to say not my point. QuickDraw said we hadn't beat a spread team all season. When in fact we have beaten 3 in Tennessee, Ole Piss and Auburn.

Go back and actually read all my posts in this thread.

Tusks

631 yards by msu. at some point try something different.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

King Kong

Quote from: heatmiser on November 22, 2015, 10:07:42 am

You should probably read the entire thread before jumping in

scruf

Safety play is terrible. Terrible. The worst I can remember at Arkansas. The corners are not that bad - not great - but not the worst. They are getting no help over the top. Josh Liddell specifically looks lost in the scheme and he's making it worse by missing every tackle. Teams hardly go at Jared Collins because he's the best corner out there. K. Richardson is really coming on and Dean and Toliver are streaky but can make plays. JL is not making any plays. Rohan Gaines is not making any plays. Is part of it due to the lack of pressure up front? Probably. Is most of it due to poor safety play? Probably.

Throw in Santos Ramirez who is too eager (penalties) and still not getting lined up right and it's not pretty. I can forgive SR because this is his first year to play but Gaines? Ugh. I think the safety position is going to get a real shake-up in the spring. Hopefully from both an infusion of new talent and moving some guys over to the back end, like Ryan Pulley, who can't turn his hips fast enough to play corner but might be able load the box on obvious run downs and not get totally beat over the top. He kept everything in front of him at corner but otherwise got jukeboxed out in space. It's going to be interesting.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: OldCoot on November 22, 2015, 08:53:05 am
THIS, he proved  his worth last year. Period.

No, no he didn't.

That's one year.

Auburn went to the NC Gus's first year, would you want him here based on that one year?

I didn't think so...
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Dr. Starcs

I kept thinking miss st was runnin pick plays to get their guys open all night.

Then they'd show the replay. Nope. Just nobody with 5 yards of the guys running their routes.

LSPRazorbac

Again, just try something.

On Passing downs switch to a 3 down lineman and disguise your blitzer.

Stand your DE up and mix it up who is dropping into coverage and who is blitzing between your linebackers.

Walk a LB up to the line of scrimmage and then twist him with a DL when they blitze.

Drop a DE or DT into the passing lane on 3rd down to try and disrupt one the many times they convert with a simple slant route.

Showing different looks is useless if you are bailing out into the same deep shell defense time and again.

Blitzing is useless if you are playing off the hot route.

Lets just try something different against the spread.

It seemed like last year we ran a lot more twists with our DL that helped us get pressure, this year we seem to just rush the passer straight up.

WorfHog

Mississippi State had their best offensive performance since Northwestern State.  We fielded the worst defense of all the SEC teams they've played so far.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: scruf on November 22, 2015, 10:28:07 am
Safety play is terrible. Terrible. The worst I can remember at Arkansas. The corners are not that bad - not great - but not the worst. They are getting no help over the top. Josh Liddell specifically looks lost in the scheme and he's making it worse by missing every tackle. Teams hardly go at Jared Collins because he's the best corner out there. K. Richardson is really coming on and Dean and Toliver are streaky but can make plays. JL is not making any plays. Rohan Gaines is not making any plays. Is part of it due to the lack of pressure up front? Probably. Is most of it due to poor safety play? Probably.

Throw in Santos Ramirez who is too eager (penalties) and still not getting lined up right and it's not pretty. I can forgive SR because this is his first year to play but Gaines? Ugh. I think the safety position is going to get a real shake-up in the spring. Hopefully from both an infusion of new talent and moving some guys over to the back end, like Ryan Pulley, who can't turn his hips fast enough to play corner but might be able load the box on obvious run downs and not get totally beat over the top. He kept everything in front of him at corner but otherwise got jukeboxed out in space. It's going to be interesting.
I agree with most of this, but you are wrong about Collins! I guarantee you he has been thrown at 3 times as much as Dean, and there is no secret why! The opposing team knows you are not going to be successful throwing the ball at 2 a lot. The opposition goes at 5 and at the LBs/safeties most and 29 next. In 11 games I bet dean hasn't been thrown at 25 times! Nickel, safety and LB are  :puke:

Hogsolo

I'm wondering if it's CBB?   This defense looks much more like 2013 D than 2014 D.   

I'm wondering if CBB has a scheme in mind that was reflected in 2013 and then re implemented in 2015?

Last year the players seemed much more aggressive and sure tacklers versus the stand and whiff tackling we are seeing this year. 

LZH

jkstock04

Quote from: IAMHogholio on November 22, 2015, 12:27:21 pm
I'm wondering if it's CBB?   This defense looks much more like 2013 D than 2014 D.   

I'm wondering if CBB has a scheme in mind that was reflected in 2013 and then re implemented in 2015?

Last year the players seemed much more aggressive and sure tacklers versus the stand and whiff tackling we are seeing this year. 
I am starting to wonder the same thing. Is this Bielemas scheme or Rob Smiths? What we saw last night was similar if not exactly what we saw most of 2013...which of course most of us attributed to Chris Ash.

It would be nice if the media asked some questions.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Boarcephus

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 22, 2015, 12:32:51 pm
I am starting to wonder the same thing. Is this Bielemas scheme or Rob Smiths? What we saw last night was similar if not exactly what we saw most of 2013...which of course most of us attributed to Chris Ash.

He also showed Ash the door so I'm thinking no. 

Josh Goforth

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2015, 07:29:41 am
I didn't understand the zone defense when they had the ball on our 10yd line. WR, let's a guy clear out and runs a crossing route and is in the end zone with our DB behind him. Man up and force them to make a perfect throw with pressure on the QB, that's better than letting them pitch and catch it.
We were beaten badly in man coverage early in the season. Trips is a killer against this personnel and quarters pattern matching zone. Not sure what the answer is  really.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Josh Goforth on November 22, 2015, 01:00:06 pm
We were beaten badly in man coverage early in the season. Trips is a killer against this personnel and quarters pattern matching zone. Not sure what the answer is  really.
Unfortunately there are two answers - better players and more experience. Both will take more time.

Hog N Bama

Our defense was so bad MSU could have left their punter in Strarkville.  :(

alohawg

Quote from: tusked on November 22, 2015, 10:12:24 am
  631 yards by msu. at some point try something different.

You're heard of the Insanity Workout, meet the Insanity Defense.
'Well boys, I know it didn't work in the 1st half, but if we just stick with it......'  ::)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

B501

jkstock04

Quote from: b501 on November 22, 2015, 01:50:23 pm
couldnt agree more

Wow those are some awful looking stats. I'm firmly in the boat of the thinking a lot of this is on scheme.

It is easy to see to anyone watching we are perfectly content with giving spread teams uncontested 10 yards/play in the passing game. That type of strategy will really light up the stat sheet for opposing teams.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 22, 2015, 09:33:37 am
Or just how average a coach is with average talent.  I go back to what was said about Bear Bryant....he could take yours and beat his and then take his and beat yours.  Don't see that here.
Really?  How many times did Bryant actually switch teams with another coach?
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

WilsonHog

What if Smith considered all possibilities, and decided the game plan he had for State was the best one available?

I have to assume that Smith is accomplished enough as a coach to know about different schemes that can be ran, and that he will put us in the one that gives us the best chance.

PonderinHog

Now is not the time, but I really want him to work on that in the offseason.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 22, 2015, 04:19:26 pm
What if Smith considered all possibilities, and decided the game plan he had for State was the best one available?

I have to assume that Smith is accomplished enough as a coach to know about different schemes that can be ran, and that he will put us in the one that gives us the best chance.
It shouldn't be overly difficult to put together but some folks can't figure it out. 

We have a strong defense last year, particularly at the end of the season.  We lose 3 key players but keep the DC.  Now we don't have a strong defense.  Let's see, what changed here...
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

PonderinHog

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on November 22, 2015, 04:32:56 pm
It shouldn't be overly difficult to put together but some folks can't figure it out. 

We have a strong defense last year, particularly at the end of the season.  We lose 3 key players but keep the DC.  Now we don't have a strong defense.  Let's see, what changed here...
Difference makers - it only takes a few.

Ex-Trumpet

Unless you have 7 behind them, the front four will never penetrate...certainly not all the way to the backfield!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Lake City Hog

2014 season stats Defense       2015 season stats Defense
1490 yds Rushing                            1347 yds Rushing
2714 yds Passing                             3331 yds Passing
60 PBU(pass breakups)                        37 PBU
36 QB hurries                                      22 QB hurries                         
12 Int                                                 9 Int
24 Sacks                                             15 Sacks

We gave up a ton of passing yards last year too. But, we were able to sack the QB more and had a few more hurries. Our run defense appears to be better this year, but probably not because most teams just throw more. It does seem to me that we played a little looser last year(coaching wise). I seem to remember playing a bit more man.

BTW, good to hear from Josh again! I sure do miss your game analysis and wish you had the time to do it more in the future!

JaketheSnake

I do respect CRS and want him to be successful. I do believe we are a general young D, but I don't want a D scheme built that has to have several NFL prospects to be successful.  That will lead to this years situation every few years. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

One of my issues with the "we don't have the players" reason is that I do not believe we have less defensive talent than the other middle to bottom teams in the SEC. The other weird thing is that our running D is #4 in the SEC our pass D is dead last. IMO if it was only due to poor talent we would not be 4th in rush D (the poor talent would be obvious on both sides of the D). It must be a combo of talent, recruiting only certain types of players/positions hard, and the schemes used. BUT with all that said I will be the first to admit that I have a much higher understanding of the O than the D in football.

pignatious

Running the same scheme with no deviation in the second half was crazy. You have to change it up against the spread. Show different looks. There are situations where a blitz is the right call to make them keep another blocker in. The offense has to be disrupted. The spread works best when qb's are allowed to develop a rhythm. We allowed Prescott to not even worry about being hit. Sure we have a recruiting deficiency in lb's and safeties. That needs big time attention. But, that doesn't mean running the same system that is failing miserably all night long. You have to try a change when you are getting killed on most every play. Expecting a different result was insane.
Freedom is never free.

HogInFlorida

It's unbelievable that people are making excuses for him. His job is to coach up a defense. When a 165lb running back from MSU bounces off of our LBs and safeties, he has failed at his job.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

HogInFlorida

Quote from: Tom Bennett on November 22, 2015, 04:19:26 pm

This line of thinking drives me insane. Urban Meyer had rings so he must always be right. Im sure that giving Ezekiel Elliott 2 carries against Michigan State in the 2nd half was the best way to win.

No. Coaches make stupid decisions like anyone else, and they're often blatantly obvious. The "coaches know more about football than me, so I can't critique anything they ever do" mindset is ridiculous.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

code red

Quote from: swineology on November 22, 2015, 12:09:43 am
So Robb Smith forgot how to coach in 12 months?

LOL

Lack of talent might be the cause.

Does Martrell have any elgibilty left

LOL

You sir are dumb
So your perspective is to name call?  His perspective is fair.  Our defense has cost us a 2nd place finish.  Now....we are second to last.  Not what we were picked to finish.  We don't even slow decent offenses down.  I think the question is fair.....is Robb the right guy?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Youngsta71701

It's hard to get penetration in the backfield when the QB is getting rid of the ball so quick because of soft coverage. Tight coverage makes the QB hold the ball just a little bit longer.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Kevin

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 23, 2015, 09:04:31 am
It's hard to get penetration in the backfield when the QB is getting rid of the ball so quick because of soft coverage. Tight coverage makes the QB hold the ball just a little bit longer.

this. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Bowfishinghogfan

We have given up almost 2k in yards and 177 or so points in the last 4 games. Offense isn't the problem. I am concerned next year about not getting a good RB in this class and whoever we go with as a qb will have a rough go of it. I just hope we don't try to play 2-3 qb's over the course of the season.

Biggus Piggus

Maybe Smith has forgotten how to coach, or maybe he never knew how to deal with all kinds of offenses.

His DC experience = 2006-08 at Maine, 2012 at Rutgers, 2014-15 at Arkansas.

Ya know, Tyler Wilson did put 419 passing yards on that Rutgers defense. Cobi Hamilton caught 10 passes for 303 yards and three touchdowns.

Rutgers did not play against any other good passing teams in 2012.

The evidence suggests that Smith is going to have to adapt what he is doing.
[CENSORED]!

LA Football fan

That is what I am thinking too.  I really think CBB needs to send Robb to brainstorm with another DC that has a "Proven" track record of stopping or slowing down 5 wide offenses.  Robb is no dummie, but I really think he is stumped on how best to stop or at least disrupt this type offense.  Like another poster said, depending on your front four most all the game to disrupt the offense is obviously not working for us.  It did cause one turnover but only one punt also.  He has to get the safeties more involved and not playing in no man's land.  They are basically useless playing that deep.

MountieDawg

Quote from: ChattanoogaHog on November 22, 2015, 12:03:50 am
Robb Smith is a good D Coordinator, just don't have the talent developed up front for his defense to work. Whenever you don't blitz often, you better be able to get to the quarterback quickly or you're going to leave your linebackers (where we have absolutely no depth to begin with) and DB's isolated as the QB has all the time in the world to pick the defense apart. See the Tech, A&M, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State games. Hopefully Agim, Bell, Ledbetter, etc can continue to develop and become the solid D line our defensive scheme needs

The talent could not have been better last year, those were Petrino recruits and he didn't care about defense.
SEC!

DiamondHogFan

Talent as a whole has regressed on defense.  I don't really understand why on the back end.  Kevin Richardson (a walk on until right before this season) was our best DB Saturday. 

CBB stated after the game that we are just too thin at LB (not new news by any means).  The LBs are having to play the entire game.  Is our pass coverage more a LB issue or have the DBs just regressed that much since last year?   Were Tevin Mitchell and Alan Turner bigger assets than we thought?  I know Flowers, Philon, and Spaight get a lot of praise but those other two appear to be missed as well.

Toledo and Texas Tech gave the blue print to shredding our defense.  Any team with a decent/good short middle passing game will eat us alive until we do something schematically to prevent it...

Hogberry Snortcake

Running quarterbacks.  Its always been running quarterbacks. 

LA Football fan

Running qbs always give defenses problems, even Bama's.  You just cannot account for every contingency when a qb takes off with the ball.  Our problem saturday night didn't have as much to do with DAK being able to run as it was with them going 5 wide and we just didn't have an answer schematically to stop it.  We got one interception due to a tipped ball from the receiver that hit him right in the hands.  One stop when we forced a bad pass and the 3rd down completion just happened to be short of the 1st.  The other stop was a fumble.  That was it all night.  I did see Ellis or Dre blitz some in the second half but we were so far off the receivers that DAK just threw it to a wide open hot route with ease.  In fact, I don't remember DAK taking off but once or twice all night due to any kind of pressure from our front four.  He was sitting basically untouched most of the game when throwing the ball.   Robb has got to get more creative in bringing pressure than just DL twists and some obvious blitzes from our lbs.  He really needs a DE he can put in there around 230-240 that is explosive off the ball and can get around the backside tackle like Missouri has done with their DE's.  You can slant towards that side in case they check into a run.  I would just like to see something different to at least try to make the qb uncomfortable and hurry their throws.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 22, 2015, 04:51:30 pm
One of my issues with the "we don't have the players" reason is that I do not believe we have less defensive talent than the other middle to bottom teams in the SEC. The other weird thing is that our running D is #4 in the SEC our pass D is dead last. IMO if it was only due to poor talent we would not be 4th in rush D (the poor talent would be obvious on both sides of the D). It must be a combo of talent, recruiting only certain types of players/positions hard, and the schemes used. BUT with all that said I will be the first to admit that I have a much higher understanding of the O than the D in football.

Actually, it's easy to understand why we play good rush defense and poor pass defense.

We don't have the talent to defend both and so the coaches have , for whatever reason, chosen to make teams beat us throwing the ball. Against a team like LSU who's QB isn't very good this year, that worked great. So yes, the coaches made a mistake against MSU, the should have played with 6 defensive backs the entire game and made them beat us on the ground, or made some really spectacular plays to beat us in the passing game.