Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Belly meat

Started by twistitup, May 29, 2014, 12:10:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Don't underestimate the quality belly meat on a flathead catfish

Cut 1/2" thick slices, really hot grease (key), cornmeal, plenty of s&p, deep fry 1.5 - 2 minutes only (key)

It's like butter
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

I 'll have to check that out we usually trim it off when we cut the catfish steaks and the Belly goes to the barn cats.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

There is skin on the outside and a white membrane on the inside - once removed it's a perfect piece of fish.  This piece of a big flathead can be fried, but some love it grilled.

I caught a 18# flathead last week that had 5# belly meat.

HawgWild

You gonna try any belly meat off those coons you're going to take out?

twistitup

Quote from: HawgWild on May 30, 2014, 09:27:49 am
You gonna try any belly meat off those coons you're going to take out?

I'm slow smoking them over applewood...so yup, I will nibble on some belly meat

Harley_Hawg

Agreed, belly meat is the best cut on a Flathead.

philobeddoe

The belly meat on a flathead is amazing!   We've caught a couple in the 25# range this year. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do it with my iPhone. Lol!!!!

twistitup

Quote from: philobeddoe on June 01, 2014, 06:28:13 am
The belly meat on a flathead is amazing!   We've caught a couple in the 25# range this year. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do it with my iPhone. Lol!!!!

It's been a good year catching them this year on Beaver. I target them with small live bream.

HawgWild

Years ago I had a commercial fisherman on the Arkansas River tell me that his favorite way to eat this cut of catfish was to steam it in a Wok and eat it like boiled shrimp.

twistitup

Quote from: HawgWild on June 01, 2014, 12:51:54 pm
Years ago I had a commercial fisherman on the Arkansas River tell me that his favorite way to eat this cut of catfish was to steam it in a Wok and eat it like boiled shrimp.

I'll do it and report back. I bet the texture is very similar to shrimp after steaming.

zane

RIP LSUfan

DeltaBoy

We always just left it on the small ones and deep fried it. No wonder the Barn Cats loved my Dad so much he was feeding them the best part of the Catfish.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

micali

Quote from: twistitup on June 01, 2014, 06:37:13 am
It's been a good year catching them this year on Beaver. I target them with small live bream.
Where on beaver?  I live next to Monte Ne. I want to take my kids to catch some catfish.  I've never caught a flathead myself.  They would love to catch a big fish like that.

twistitup

Quote from: micali on June 15, 2014, 10:39:40 pm
Where on beaver?  I live next to Monte Ne. I want to take my kids to catch some catfish.  I've never caught a flathead myself.  They would love to catch a big fish like that.

I'm on the White River arm just past Blue Springs- but flatheads are everywhere in Beaver Lake. They love coves this time of year with logs or brush laydowns. Find a cove and a tree that has fallen into the water - set a trotline or limbline at night, check the next morning.

Night fishing rod/reel is also fun but more time consuming.

micali

I'll give it a shot.  That would be awesome to catch a few big cats.