Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

H & R Handy gun

Started by CPO Hog, April 25, 2014, 10:10:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CPO Hog

Just wondering, could a 100 year old H & R Handy 410 smooth bore 12" barrel have rifleings cut into it by a local gunsmith?

DeltaBoy

Yep but do you have the paperwork for it. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

Why would you rifle a classic like that?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

CPO Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 25, 2014, 10:32:49 am
Yep but do you have the paperwork for it.

Just a hypothetical question. I didn't know the answer and I knew someone here would. We come up with gun quiz questions here at work almost daily.

The paperwork was discussed as well. It's ashame such a classic gun would be illegal without a piece of paper from 1986.

DeltaBoy

Yep you still find them once in a while out in the wild along with the Legendary Marbles Game Getter. But the Fed want's that 200 Tax stamp to legally own them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

OldCoot

Why would you need paperwork?  I'm not understanding.

Magic_Hogg

I think because the barrel length is below the federally mandated "18 for shotguns.

This is just me thinking out loud - there might be a chance that factory manufactured shotgun firearms with barrels under "18 were "grandfathered" in and made legal.  I do not know for certain have never had a reason to look into it.

Mike_e

I'd make sure that it wasn't a black powder shotgun as well.

I've got an old Winchester 12 lever action that's black powder and though you can put modern shells through it, you never know when it will blow up in your face.  Kind of why I haven't shot it in 20 years or so since I found out.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Magic_Hogg

That is a nice firearm.  I wouldn't shoot it, period.  Someone makes a modern copy of that gun - probably costs a small.fortune though.

DeltaBoy

Get a Lee Load-All and some Proxy and load BP loads for it.

Magic_Hogg

I've never fooled around with black powder.   Are those things as much of a pain to clean as I hear?

OldCoot

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on May 05, 2014, 03:41:44 pm
I've never fooled around with black powder.   Are those things as much of a pain to clean as I hear?

Not really a pain but you do have to clean everytime you use it.

Magic_Hogg

I don't think that would work for me.   I am lazy when it comes to cleaning my guns.  As a kid, I couldn't wait to clean them after they were used.  At some point though it just became another chore.

DeltaBoy

Simple Green cleans BP just fine.