Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Postseason Tournament

Started by Flying Razorback, February 10, 2008, 01:50:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

If we hit a bad week or two and the NCAA tournament selectors decide that the SEC wasn't strong enough and decide to leave us out of the tourney this year, will we accept a bid to either the NIT or the new tournament?  While we were missing all those tournaments this decade I know we declined NIT births.  But I think that it would be good for some of our younger players and mainly for Coach Pel to play in a larger tournament at the end of this year.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

clifflee4mvp

not even going to think about it. We have won 3 straight in BWA and we've got a chance to steal one from the evil empire at home. Why would I want to think about the NIT?
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Flying Razorback

Sorry, I agree.  I didn't want to sound negative, I guess it was more of a question on the new staff's philosophy on post-season play.  With Heath it was NCAA or nothing.  But as a fan I always want to see at least one more game, even in a bad year.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

mathhog

February 10, 2008, 02:21:10 am #3 Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:29:37 am by mathhog
Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on February 10, 2008, 01:58:06 am
Sorry, I agree.  I didn't want to sound negative, I guess it was more of a question on the new staff's philosophy on post-season play.  With Heath it was NCAA or nothing.  But as a fan I always want to see at least one more game, even in a bad year.

honestly, heath only had that decision ONE time... 2005

his first 2 years were losing seasons, 9-19 & 12-16.  nolan's last year was 14-15.  you can't go to the nit with a losing record. (back then at least)

in 2006 & 2007, we made the ncaa tournament.

so "those nits we declined" was actually ONCE, in 2005.

What people forget about that year is how so very CLOSE we were to "turning the corner" and making the dance in 2005. 
that was the year of:
-eric ferguson missing a game winning 3 from point blank range to beat a ranked kentucky at home
-ronnie brewer missing a freaking LAYUP to tie MissState at home
-and ::puke::  lsu CHEATERS - the refs taking away a 3 pointer many plays later to cause an OT and a loss

we ended up 6-10 overall... we were 6-8, needing a win over ranked msu to make the ncaas... we choked (see above), lost, and then the guys gave up at HORRIBLE auburn next game, yeah, you're 6-9 and out of the race, but still, have PRIDE!  we didn't, we lost, to finish at 6-10.

that team was a major dissappointment in my eyes.  win ONE of those games, even let the LSU game stand, and we don't GIVE UP AT AUBURN, finishing at 20-9 pre-SECtourney.

we make the dance, and everything changes.

the 05 nit rejection was more because our guys just 'gave up' at seasons end, and no reason to keep that trend going!!!

idiotghos

February 10, 2008, 03:21:52 am #4 Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:24:43 am by idiotghos
Quote from: mathhog on February 10, 2008, 02:21:10 am
and then the guys gave up at HORRIBLE auburn next game

Even though that was our first winning season in 3 years, that game was about the lowest I've felt as a basketball hog fan.  I was kinda relieved when we declined the NIT (wasn't there some speculation about a matchup with ASU?).

This year I'd go with whatever had more media coverage.

HOGSWEAT

At this point if we don't make the tourney, we don't deserve to be in the NIT

jry04

Quote from: mathhog on February 10, 2008, 02:21:10 am
honestly, heath only had that decision ONE time... 2005

his first 2 years were losing seasons, 9-19 & 12-16.  nolan's last year was 14-15.  you can't go to the nit with a losing record. (back then at least)

in 2006 & 2007, we made the ncaa tournament.

so "those nits we declined" was actually ONCE, in 2005.

What people forget about that year is how so very CLOSE we were to "turning the corner" and making the dance in 2005. 
that was the year of:
-eric ferguson missing a game winning 3 from point blank range to beat a ranked kentucky at home
-ronnie brewer missing a freaking LAYUP to tie MissState at home
-and ::puke::  lsu CHEATERS - the refs taking away a 3 pointer many plays later to cause an OT and a loss

we ended up 6-10 overall... we were 6-8, needing a win over ranked msu to make the ncaas... we choked (see above), lost, and then the guys gave up at HORRIBLE auburn next game, yeah, you're 6-9 and out of the race, but still, have PRIDE!  we didn't, we lost, to finish at 6-10.

that team was a major dissappointment in my eyes.  win ONE of those games, even let the LSU game stand, and we don't GIVE UP AT AUBURN, finishing at 20-9 pre-SECtourney.

we make the dance, and everything changes.

the 05 nit rejection was more because our guys just 'gave up' at seasons end, and no reason to keep that trend going!!!
Honestly, Heath didn't have the decision. Broyles did. Whether it was because there was a possibility of ASU being in the tournament, or because Broyles just didn't want to go I don't know, but Heath did not have much of a choice.

G-HOG

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on February 10, 2008, 01:22:03 pm
Division II?  lol.  I think they just need to take one game at a time...

The NIT is made up of Div 1 teams who don't make it to the big dance!
:-*

coach, my back hurts

What is this "other tournament" we speak of and i bet a dollar that Broyles "turned down" the NIT bid because they would've put us playing UALR.  UALR had 20 wins or so that yr.  The NIT would've loved that matchup.