Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not our best game but its a big win...(crowd comments)

Started by Hollywood_HOGan45, February 09, 2008, 11:52:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan45

February 09, 2008, 11:52:44 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:56:09 pm by Hollywood_HOGan45
because of the road that lies ahead.

We didnt shoot the ball well at all but i was reminded after the game that some of Nolan's old great teams would find a way to win even when the jumpshots were not falling. They would win games by getting pts of their defense and that is what this team did today.  No, this team is not in the same class as those old Nolan teams but Arkansas is getting better and they are still on a roll.

I dont think Ive ever seen a player like Patrick Beverley. His motor runs 100mph for 40 minutes and he is a 6'1 guard that is averaging probably 11 boards a game in SEC play. That is ridiculous.
Weems is still playing unbelieveable even though he wasnt making the jumpers much like the rest of his team. He had 22 but could have had about 30 or 35 if he had canned some of those early open jumpshots.

I thought the crowd was good. There were alot there and it was a fairly early arriving crowd. I doubted there was 19K there but i started looking around and didnt see very many empties at all. Dont know if there were 19,900 there but thats a pretty close estimate. It was almost full and i think the fans are starting to get basketball fever again.
Just wish the crowd would get in the game and stay in the game. Just because the ball has been tipped doesnt mean you have to sit on your hands. Just because a timeout is called doenst mean you have to sit down and start chatting again even when they come back from a timeout.
If you're an Arkansas fan,you go to the basketball game to cheer the team and help them utilize a homecourt advantage. Maybe thats just me. The crowd would be up and screaming for a defensive stop but there would be pockets of people just sitting there. i dont get it. I wish they would sell their tickets to people who want to go to the game to have fun and call the hogs.

But overall it was a nice crowd compared to what we've had in the recent past.

I dont expect to beat Tennessee in knoxville. UT has one heckuva team and they already got their bad game out of the way. We are playing well but knocking off UT will be a very big task. Our inside guys like Townes, Thomas, Wash, Hunter, and Hill will have to show up big time to help us clean the glass, get to the free throw line, and get us some easy baskets.
Should be a good game but I dont expect to win but then again we were the team that last ended their last big home winning streak.

Even if we lose to Tennessee, at least its fun to be a Razorback basketball fan again.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 09, 2008, 11:52:44 pm

We didnt shoot the ball well at all but i was reminded after the game that some of Nolan's old great teams would find a way to win even when the jumpshots were not falling. They would win games by getting pts of their defense and that is what this team did today.  No, this team is not in the same class as those old Nolan teams but Arkansas is getting better and they are still on a roll.

I dont think Ive ever seen a player like Patrick Beverley. His motor runs 100mph for 40 minutes and he is a 6'1 guard that is averaging probably 11 boards a game in SEC play. That is ridiculous.
Weems is still playing unbelieveable even though he wasnt making the jumpers much like the rest of his team. He had 22 but could have had about 30 or 35 if he had canned some of those early open jumpshots.

I thought the crowd was good. There were alot there and it was a fairly early arriving crowd. I doubted there was 19K there but i started looking around and didnt see very many empties at all. Dont know if there were 19,900 there but thats a pretty close estimate. It was almost full and i think the fans are starting to get basketball fever again.
Just wish the crowd would get in the game and stay in the game. Just because the ball has been tipped doesnt mean you have to sit on your hands. Just because a timeout is called doenst mean you have to sit down and start chatting again even when they come back from a timeout.
If you're an Arkansas fan,you go to the basketball game to cheer the team and help them utilize a homecourt advantage. Maybe thats just me. The crowd would be up and screaming for a defensive stop but there would be pockets of people just sitting there. i dont get it. I wish they would sell their tickets to people who want to go to the game to have fun and call the hogs.

I dont expect to beat Tennessee in knoxville. UT has one heckuva team and they already got their bad game out of the way. We are playing well but knocking off UT will be a very big task. Our inside guys like Townes, Thomas, Wash, Hunter will have to show up big time to help us clean the glass, get to the free throw line, and get us some easy baskets.
Should be a good game but I dont expect to win but then again we were the team that last ended their last big home winning streak.

Even if we lose to Tennessee, at least its fun to be a Razorback basketball fan again.

Right on, Hollywood!
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

booogaga

i think its a good thing that he had a game where we shot badly had a couple of bad calls and didnt shoot from the FT line and still stuck together and won as a team. last year we would have folded like a book.
GO HOGS!

HogCzar1

Nicely stated. However, as has been mentioned before, we MUST stop having fans leave at the under 4 minute time out! Today was simply embarrassing. It's one thing if we are ahead 20, but the game was in doubt until the final minute. We as Razorback fans ask the team to play a full 40 minutes. Its time that ALL Razorback fans in attendance give the same effort. It's not too much to ask. We need the full home court advantage for more than 36 minutes a game.

The Boar War

One major thing that has to be cleaned up is the free throw shooting.  With Pelphrey at the helm I believe it will.  Being there in person gave me a new appreciation for how bad the shooting form is for some of these guys.

I'm glad we got this one out of the way.  We were headed for a let down game and hopefully this was it.  After a 16-2 lead I thought we were headed for a blow out.  Somehow we let them get back in.  Here's hoping we learned from this close victory and will continue to go full throttle against every SEC team (once we have the lead).

parrishw

Thet key to remember is that if we had shot at 85% of normal from the 3 pt line and the charity strip we would have had another 20 pt or more win.

We had a bad game and still won. That would not have happened last year.

PennHOG

Quote from: HogCzar1 on February 10, 2008, 12:50:52 am
Nicely stated. However, as has been mentioned before, we MUST stop having fans leave at the under 4 minute time out! Today was simply embarrassing. It's one thing if we are ahead 20, but the game was in doubt until the final minute. We as Razorback fans ask the team to play a full 40 minutes. Its time that ALL Razorback fans in attendance give the same effort. It's not too much to ask. We need the full home court advantage for more than 36 minutes a game.

We the fans, I think, are still suffering from the effects of the last 5 years.  How many times have we seen Razorback teams lose a close game at the end with stupidity?  For me I started to expect it and I still haven't stopped getting that forbodding feeling when the time about 4:00.  Even though we have a different coach I am still conditioned to prepare myself for this let down and I started to get that feeling again last night watching Ole Miss claw back into it.  I was pleased to see that we didn't blow it but I wonder if that is why so many are leaving early.  I know that I wouldn't.  If I had the chance to go to a game I'd stay to the bitter end no matter what the score.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

ballhog™

They need to resell some of the student section seats to the general public on game day.  I think it's embarassing that the majority of the empty seats are in the student section.  You could sell those seats on gameday and put the section number/SRO if the students actually filled that part up.

I graduated from the U of A and remember the days of camping out to get tickets, long lines, lotteries for tickets...and if one area of the arena was full it was the student section.

Or maybe the should just reduce the number of student seasts.

I also think they should move more student seats closer to the floor and on the visitor bench end of the court.

I will now get off of my soapbox.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ballhog on February 10, 2008, 10:47:27 am
They need to resell some of the student section seats to the general public on game day.  I think it's embarassing that the majority of the empty seats are in the student section.  You could sell those seats on gameday and put the section number/SRO if the students actually filled that part up.

I graduated from the U of A and remember the days of camping out to get tickets, long lines, lotteries for tickets...and if one area of the arena was full it was the student section.

I also think they should move more student seats closer to the floor and on the visitor bench end of the court.

or how about make those seats free or $1 for the students so they can afford them. its hard for most of us to put out $125 for tickets a year.

I always sit in the first 3 rows in the student section. it pisses me off when i look behind me and people are sitting down. and then the section behind the goal almost always is sitting down. i lose my voice and almost kill myself every game for this team, i wish others put out the same effort.

ballhog™

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2008, 11:23:18 am
or how about make those seats free or $1 for the students so they can afford them. its hard for most of us to put out $125 for tickets a year.

I always sit in the first 3 rows in the student section. it pisses me off when i look behind me and people are sitting down. and then the section behind the goal almost always is sitting down. i lose my voice and almost kill myself every game for this team, i wish others put out the same effort.

Lowering prices is fine...sell them for a dollar per game, if it still doesn't fill up, reduce the number of seats. Or resell some of those tickets on game day.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

NWAREDBUG

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 09, 2008, 11:52:44 pm

I dont expect to beat Tennessee in knoxville. UT has one heckuva team and they already got their bad game out of the way. We are playing well but knocking off UT will be a very big task. Our inside guys like Townes, Thomas, Wash, Hunter, and Hill will have to show up big time to help us clean the glass, get to the free throw line, and get us some easy baskets.

[/quote

Right on with this post +1, Pel will have this program back to a exciting level in the next 2 years!!!

antonio65

Right on.  There were lots of people holding up fingers for tickets outside and the entire top of the student section was empty. Terrible.

mhuff

I am so pleased that we got a win last night. We have to win at home if we are to win our side of the SEC. I guess basketball has passed me by and I don't understand the stategy of the 3-point shot.Often time on a fast break,you will see a player kick it out for a three when a layup is almost a certainty. Last night in the early stages of the game I would have continued to push it inside for higher percentage shots and shot the threes later. We had them reeling and then let them get back in the game by shooting lower percentage shots and allowing them to push it down the court and getting points when our defense did not get back down:furthermore, we could have pressed after a made basket,but you live by the three;you die by the three.  On a neutral or away court you lose many of these type games. I am really excited about the future of Razorback sports. It is an exciting time to be on the hill. Go Hogs Go. Take it to em.

Corkscrew Johnson

You are right, this was a big win for us.  It was a big win because we got full of ourselves and took horrible shots, and still managed to win.  If you recall, early in the season we were taking too many 3's, shooting too quickly in the shot clock.  Our team suffered as a result.   Recently we started making better decisions, and consequently we started winning ball games.

Against Ole Miss we reverted back to old habits.  Pelphrey will bring this team back to earth and "remind" them to take better shots.  We are not a shooting team.  What's great is that we learned this valuable lesson and still got a win out of it.

awwyeah84

Quote from: ballhog on February 10, 2008, 10:47:27 am

I completely understand what you mean.
But like i've said in these posts before, there is only ONE CHANCE to buy tickets.  The student section you saw against Mizzou in the first REAL game is the exact student section you will see against LSU next wednesday night. 
It's absolutely ridiculous that they can't sell the tickets that weren't sold on a game-to-game basis because I know at least 6 of my friend who want to go to a basketball game now but they can't because they won't sell those tickets.

Niels Boar

Our shot selection was dubious.  We took way too many jumpers without probing the lane.  That's fine if the treys are falling, but they weren't.  We let Ole Miss back in the game by not taking it to the hoop when it was obvious that we were wasting possessions.  Townes needs to get more touches when the offense starts stagnating.  And I wish it would dawn on Ervin that he is a poor finisher in the lane.  He almost never converts on drives unless he gets to the foul line.  Ervin can be effective in the lane if he draws the D and gives up the rock.

sasnakrafan

February 10, 2008, 06:55:57 pm #16 Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 07:00:55 pm by sasnakrafan
it's not that the students don't wanna go... it's just that the ticket office decides to sell ALL the tickets to student upfront. Many reason factors into why the student section is abysmal.

1. Price- for a lot of people yes it sucks and $100+ can be tough to swallow sometimes.

2. Location- students don't feel involved in the game. They feel that they are almost forced to sit down behind the band bc other students/adults saying hey sit the eph down.

3. Packages- 4 game packages suck. you get one decent SEc game, 1 ok sec game, and 2 wind directional school. Pathetic.

4. Uncertainty- having to pay that much money for games that you don't know if you could attend due to sometimes lab, work, maybe bc you're gonna fail out, or the Razorbacks could just straight up not perform (fair weathered fans- every school has em). Sometimes the risk is not worth the investment.

5. Availability- if you don't buy before the season you are SOL. I know plenty of friends that would pay 10 bucks to go see the game which is 4 dollars higher than the average.

The_Iceman

Quote from: sasnakrafan on February 10, 2008, 06:55:57 pm
it's not that the students don't wanna go... it's just that the ticket office decides to sell ALL the tickets to student upfront. Many reason factors into why the student section is abysmal.

1. Price- for a lot of people yes it sucks and $100+ can be tough to swallow sometimes.

2. Location- students don't feel involved in the game. They feel that they are almost forced to sit down behind the band bc other students/adults saying hey sit the eph down.

3. Packages- 4 game packages suck. you get one decent SEc game, 1 ok sec game, and 2 wind directional school. Pathetic.

4. Uncertainty- having to pay that much money for games that you don't know if you could attend due to sometimes lab, work, maybe bc you're gonna fail out, or the Razorbacks could just straight up not perform (fair weathered fans- every school has em). Sometimes the risk is not worth the investment.

5. Availability- if you don't buy before the season you are SOL. I know plenty of friends that would pay 10 bucks to go see the game which is 4 dollars higher than the average.

+1, great post. as a fellow student, i agree fully.

but none of that stops me from getting there 2 hours early to sit in the 2nd row.