Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Patrick Beverley Is Growing Up!

Started by Brand X Hog Fan, February 09, 2008, 08:30:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brand X Hog Fan

February 09, 2008, 08:30:32 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:57:10 pm by Seahawk4ever
That is what I told my wife tonight after listening to his post game interview with Mike Nail. Now, to preface my remarks, I really don't care how a person's diction and language are while speaking. I believe, to some degree, we all allow our own slang, colloquialisms, and accents to creep into our conversations and sometimes at the wrong times such as when speaking to a group or an important person. I typically do not judge a person's character on their language, but sometimes I do base an opinion of their self esteem on such. With that in mind, listening to a Beverley interview last year was always an adventure. Although always appropriate and well mannered, he was sometimes difficult to understand and his grammar was atrocious.

Today Patrick spoke like a man! He was in control of himself and his language as he gave credit to his team mates, the crowd, his coaches and the Rebels. When Mike asked him about various aspects of the game such a s sub-par foul shooting effort by the team, Patrick answered succinctly and with wisdom explaining the those things happen sometimes and the team just has to play through them. He incorporated percentages and statistics about the Tennessee team into the conversation that seemed to come off the cuff, not off a cue card.

I don't know. Maybe I am making too much of it all but this is just how the interview struck me. Patrick and the rest of this team are finally maturing into a basketball team. Listening to P-Bev speak, I can't help but think it is because John Pelphrey is teaching them to be basketball players and along the way, giving them more confidence in themselves as men.

WPS!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

hview

I think the other team members have fed off his intensity. It speaks volumes for a guard to rebound as he does. His shot may not always be falling, but he is going to be there doing everything he can to help his team win. Isn't he near the top in the SEC in rebounding? I think you can credit Coach Pelphrey a great deal for the development of Patrick. I will not derail your thread but Coach Pelphrey has these guys playing as a team, buying into his system and playing with intensity.   

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: hview on February 09, 2008, 08:42:02 pm
I think the other team members have fed off his intensity. It speaks volumes for a guard to rebound as he does. His shot may not always be falling, but he is going to be there doing everything he can to help his team win. Isn't he near the top in the SEC in rebounding? I think you can credit Coach Pelphrey a great deal for the development of Patrick. I will not derail your thread but Coach Pelphrey has these guys playing as a team, buying into his system and playing with intensity.   

Not derailing at all. Although the thread is about Bev, it is also a shout out to Pel. It is great to be a Hog Fan!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

hview

At the closing moments of the game and Patrick was at the free throw line. If I recall the announcers stated he hadn't had the greatest game shooting the ball. I don't know what his stats were, but my immediate thought after hearing that comment...was I'll take a double double from Patrick every night.   

hillhog

I agree with all the comments about Beverley. However, I would love to see him pull up and shoot the jumper instead of that running jumper. Seems very few of those fall.

hview

Yes I would agree, maybe that is something the coaches can work on this week.