Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor refs?

Started by jschulte, February 09, 2008, 08:21:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jschulte

Perhaps they showed replays on tv... but at the game it looked like plenty of bad calls.  Ervin's charge... no charges called for washington....  They had their hands all over our guys and nothing, but we would do a little body check and whistle (followed by a host of boos). Those who saw it... were they actually fair calls or ridiculous?

dman

Thomas's phantom elbow, what a joke, and several more almost as bad.

Brand X Hog Fan

The most worrisome thing for me, other than the charge on Ervin that could have cost us the game, was the review of the 3 pointer by Weems. Whatever! He either had a toe on the line or not but it sure was a momentum (and crowd) killer to stop play for the review. Probably nothing to it but but for the one point either way, it sure was a break for Ole Miss. The crowd was in a frenzy when the clock stopped for the time out. At least it sounded that way on the radio.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

edmo

Quote from: dman on February 09, 2008, 08:32:13 pm

The refs got OWNED on this one.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on February 09, 2008, 08:42:29 pm
After that, I was getting a little uneasy.  It was a ten-point lead and they went to shoot two free throws and that mean the lead would be and was down to six points.  I wanted to see that ten point margin maintained as long as possible and eat time off the clock.  On a few ocassions,  Stefan Welsh or Gary Ervin would back the ball out to near half-court.  My concern was they wouldn't get a decent look.  When Ervin would attack the basket,  Mississippi had to bring the defense in. That set up the outside shots...

Yeah, that call on Ervin was a 6 point swing. He'd have prolly made the free throw but they went down and shot the three.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

RAZ FAN

Quote from: dman on February 09, 2008, 08:32:13 pm
That ref needs to be suspended after making that call. He had the angle to see no contact was made, so he undoubtly didn't see it but made the call by the players reaction.

RazorNoles

The fans at BWA love when Coach Pel gets on the refs....something we never saw the last few years.

hillhog

Quote from: jschulte on February 09, 2008, 08:21:09 pm
Perhaps they showed replays on tv... but at the game it looked like plenty of bad calls.  Ervin's charge... no charges called for washington....  They had their hands all over our guys and nothing, but we would do a little body check and whistle (followed by a host of boos). Those who saw it... were they actually fair calls or ridiculous?

IMO this was the worst crew we have seen this year. Many calls were not even close to being correct. Have you all seen the commercial with the fb ref saying "I really blew that call".?
These guys could make a feature length movie with those comments about their calls today.

Jeffcphog

Joe Dean, Jr. said on the Tenn - LSU Broadcast that SEC Refs were the best in America.  I bout fell out of my chair.

hog 47

I saw a guy at the game that looked just like TCTWF, and I was looking for Coach Petrino to slap him down.

hillhog

If the SEC has a supervisor of officials or reviews games each crew works, you would think after a game like this one these 3 officials would leave the meeting leaving a trail of blood from their behinds.

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: Jeffcphog on February 09, 2008, 09:31:07 pm
Joe Dean, Jr. said on the Tenn - LSU Broadcast that SEC Refs were the best in America.  I bout fell out of my chair.

i heard the same thing, he has no clue

lilredheadedlady

Yeah.  The officiating was just plain terrible.    Seems like we were booing bad calls half the game.  =/
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

arkjay19

My friend made a good point: Kennedy was hardly arguing at all.  whereas Pel was arguing nearly the entire game . . . . .

Jimmy

Worst start to finish by refs I've seen in a long time. 

hogfanforever

Refs were terrible.

I was on the end of the court where the elbowing got called -- it was clear to me that he WAS throwing elbows, even from the my seat on top tier... but that was the only call I can say was close to good.
"One of these days its gonna get right and when it does I AM GOING to be scary for a lot of people"

Hollywood_HOGan45

we got some calls early but it started turning south  >:(.

the lighter skinned bald dude was just terrible.
worst call of the night was the charge on Ervin. They had been calling the blocking foul on that play the entire game until that one.

I really hated it when that same official waited until Ervin made the jump shot, lets the crowd cheer, and then waved off the basket to call the foul on the floor.

to be such a great athletic conference, we sure do have some terrible officials.

there was one time where the shot clock was not working and NOT ONE OFFICIAL noticed it!

jst01

We get the worst refs at home. There is that one light skinned black guy that has been hating on us for the last 6 years and there are numerous refs that appear to be 23, that like to try and show up the players and coach. We get much better consistent calls on the road. 

3kgthog

Things could be worse. We could have gambling refs like the NBA.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: 3kgthog on February 09, 2008, 11:48:52 pm
Things could be worse. We could have gambling refs like the NBA.

Who says they weren't?  Tunica isn't too far from here...  ;)

Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

igotdatwood

several calls were just ridiculous.

the blocking foul early on washington when both refs blew the whistle looked at each other for a while then called the block. obviously they werent sure what to call, they just blew the whistle bc of the contact.
the ervin foul where he waited to see if he made it before calling it a foul on the floor
the ervin "charge"
the thomas elbow
seemed like touch fouls were goin against us, we would get hacked and nothing. 

i know i am a little biased, but i try not to when it comes to calls, because the refs did make some bad calls the other way.

pcrouch3809

99% of fans at games do not understand the rules of basketball, but think they do.  I am in my ninth season as an official, and firmly believe that it is the toughest sport to officiate.  It has taken me many years of reffing and coaching basketball to know how a game is to managed.    If one of our players hits the floor the entire crowd demands a call when a foul didn't even take place.  I didn't hear anybody complain today when the refs made bad calls in our favor.  There were plenty of those too.  If you think the officials called a bad game, I would love to see you suit up and call a better game.    If you have never reffed or coached basketball before, you do not know as much as you think about the game.   

Elrod

Quote from: hogfanforever on February 09, 2008, 10:22:31 pm
Refs were terrible.

I was on the end of the court where the elbowing got called -- it was clear to me that he WAS throwing elbows, even from the my seat on top tier... but that was the only call I can say was close to good.

TV showed replays with a good angle.  Elbow was thrown but missed the player several inches.  The announcers were laughing about what a good acting job the Old Miss player did. 

mathhog

Quote from: pcrouch3809 on February 10, 2008, 01:40:53 am
99% of fans at games do not understand the rules of basketball, but think they do.  I am in my ninth season as an official, and firmly believe that it is the toughest sport to officiate.  It has taken me many years of reffing and coaching basketball to know how a game is to managed.    If one of our players hits the floor the entire crowd demands a call when a foul didn't even take place.  I didn't hear anybody complain today when the refs made bad calls in our favor.  There were plenty of those too.  If you think the officials called a bad game, I would love to see you suit up and call a better game.    If you have never reffed or coached basketball before, you do not know as much as you think about the game.  

i get your point, but seriously dude, there was a STRING of horrible calls late in the second half that had a REAL IMPACT on the game's flow (and almost on the outcome!)

if you can't see that, the charge, the shot waved off, the checking of the three, the thomas rebound, mikewash, etc, etc, etc... all so close to each other, i don't know.

i just thought those were obvious, imo.  but granted, it is difficult to ref and many schools' fans (TENNESSEE!! DING DING DING) are mostly idiots that scream for a foul if there is a steal.  to the vols fans, nothing such as a "STEAL" exists.  only a foul.  that's why i pride arkansas and kentucky fans, i generally thing hog fans and cats fans are the most knowledgable of the game, and dont fall for the emotional booing over nothing crap.

let me put it this way, at any hog game, you will hear at least 2 or 3 times that night the fans saying to one another "wow, we got away with that" or "dangit, that sucks for us, but that was a good call (upon seeing the replay in the bud)" or "yeah.  ervin DID travel.  good call"

how many schools do that?  if its tennie and lofton was called for traveling the fans would explode in explitives and retaliate by buying yet another silk orange windbreaker.

arkansas fans generally lay off the refs compared to other schools' idiot fans.

cthog99

i just look at pelphrey. if he's staring at the officials, it was a bad call. if he's staring at the players, it was their fault

Kris P. Bacon

Quote from: mathhog on February 10, 2008, 02:40:05 am
i get your point, but seriously dude, there was a STRING of horrible calls late in the second half that had a REAL IMPACT on the game's flow (and almost on the outcome!)

if you can't see that, the charge, the shot waved off, the checking of the three, the thomas rebound, mikewash, etc, etc, etc... all so close to each other, i don't know.

i just thought those were obvious, imo.  but granted, it is difficult to ref and many schools' fans (TENNESSEE!! DING DING DING) are mostly idiots that scream for a foul if there is a steal.  to the vols fans, nothing such as a "STEAL" exists.  only a foul.  that's why i pride arkansas and kentucky fans, i generally thing hog fans and cats fans are the most knowledgable of the game, and dont fall for the emotional booing over nothing crap.

let me put it this way, at any hog game, you will hear at least 2 or 3 times that night the fans saying to one another "wow, we got away with that" or "dangit, that sucks for us, but that was a good call (upon seeing the replay in the bud)" or "yeah.  ervin DID travel.  good call"

how many schools do that?  if its tennie and lofton was called for traveling the fans would explode in explitives and retaliate by buying yet another silk orange windbreaker.

arkansas fans generally lay off the refs compared to other schools' idiot fans.

Are you kidding me?! I was at the game and our fans booed almost every call that didn't go our way. I would have called the elbow on Thomas, period. He did throw it. But the fans for the most part are clueless. I will agree that some are like, "we got lucky on that one" but they are few and very far between.
"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
– Winston Churchill

RazorNoles

No doubt there are many fans that don't have a clue, BUT those officials get paid to do a job. It doesn't matter that basketball is "the toughest sport to officiate". There are plenty of officials that have figured it out and do it well. My boss doesn't let me off the hook because I have a hard job to do. He pays me and expects me to do the job right. No difference.

forrest city joe

Quote from: arkhog9 on February 09, 2008, 10:16:55 pm
My friend made a good point: Kennedy was hardly arguing at all.  whereas Pel was arguing nearly the entire game . . . . .
Kennedy had no reason to be arguing. his teams was getting most all the calls on the road for the first time this year. we  will not ever get close to calls like Ole miss got when we go to their place. this has happen to us every since we have been in the Sec.we do not get the calls at home like a the long standing sec teams get.im sick of it. those guys tonight could have cost us this game. it's a joke.

opineonswine

Quote from: jschulte on February 09, 2008, 08:21:09 pm

I thought it was horrible and Ole Miss got the calls.

Didn't get to see or hear this game but in most all cases, the home team can maul the visitors and rarely get called.  I have personally seen home players hatchet club a visitor and a tie ball be called but when the visitor gets all ball, the foul is called.  The refs usually decide the game in any close contest.  It is a tough job to make instant calls, but throughout the game it should even out.  It is usually when the foul is called, not what is called, example, after the 3 is made, wipe it out.  Arkansas usually gets most of the calls at BWA as do all the SEC teams at home.  In general, the visiters are 8 point or more underdogs starting out.  I certainly cannot speak about yesterdays game.

The Boar War

It was a pretty poorly called game.  From where I was sitting it looked like most of the foul calls were okay with the exception of a few MW charges and some extremely hard hand checks from Ole Miss.  The Gary Ervin charge will be called that way almost every time.  On a fast break the kid crosses mid court and puts his eyes on nothing but the basket.  He makes contact with the player and 75% of the time it is charging but the officials will call it almost 100% of the time.

I thought the officials made horrible out of bounds calls.  It looked like almost half of their calls could have gone the other way.  It was minor things like that that got me. 

The most embarrassing mistake of all was midway through the second half when Ole Miss missed an offense rebound and tipped it out of bounds at mid court.  Ole Miss was slowly working their way down the court while the Razorbacks were sprinting to get in position.  One of the refs instead of throwing it to the sideline ref (where pb was waiting) did some kind of back handed toss that almost sent it over the scorers table.  Sure is a good way to kill a fast break.   

rljjr

The one that got me was the loose ball we got after the scramble on the floor and the pass had gotten to us for a certain fast break and dunk. They called the foul on the floor only after the ball was clearly going to go our way for points. That cheesed me off.

forrest city joe

Quote from: 12247 on February 10, 2008, 09:25:53 am
Didn't get to see or hear this game but in most all cases, the home team can maul the visitors and rarely get called.  I have personally seen home players hatchet club a visitor and a tie ball be called but when the visitor gets all ball, the foul is called.  The refs usually decide the game in any close contest.  It is a tough job to make instant calls, but throughout the game it should even out.  It is usually when the foul is called, not what is called, example, after the 3 is made, wipe it out.  Arkansas usually gets most of the calls at BWA as do all the SEC teams at home.  In general, the visiters are 8 point or more underdogs starting out.  I certainly cannot speak about yesterdays game.
Not true. arkansas does not get the calls at home some of the other sec teams get. in fact,we seem to get these calls at home and on the road.and it has been like this for years. just wait until we go to Ole miss. we wont get anywhere near the calls they got here. just watch.

hogsailor

Quote from: The Boar War on February 10, 2008, 09:27:01 am
The most embarrassing mistake of all was midway through the second half when Ole Miss missed an offense rebound and tipped it out of bounds at mid court.  Ole Miss was slowly working their way down the court while the Razorbacks were sprinting to get in position.  One of the refs instead of throwing it to the sideline ref (where pb was waiting) did some kind of back handed toss that almost sent it over the scorers table.  Sure is a good way to kill a fast break.  

I was wondering about that also.

I guess he was wanting one of the scorers to check the ball before resuming play...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

RazorHog14

What's funny is that I have reffed before  too and I gotta say that was some of the worst officiating I've seen in a long time. Basketball is probably the hardest sport to ref but come on there were several calls that the officials should have been in position to make and they missed them. Let's be honest there were plenty of bad calls on both sides, too many. It really took away from the game last night. We haven't even gotten into the missed traveling calls, pitiful!

hawgeathawg

Quote99% of fans at games do not understand the rules of basketball, but think they do.  I am in my ninth season as an official, and firmly believe that it is the toughest sport to officiate.  It has taken me many years of reffing and coaching basketball to know how a game is to managed.    If one of our players hits the floor the entire crowd demands a call when a foul didn't even take place.  I didn't hear anybody complain today when the refs made bad calls in our favor.  There were plenty of those too.  If you think the officials called a bad game, I would love to see you suit up and call a better game.    If you have never reffed or coached basketball before, you do not know as much as you think about the game. 

I don't sweat the calls if they are being made consistantly on both ends of the court (they weren't). I don't know much about calling a basketball game, but I know you can't take 4 steps without putting the ball on the floor. I know that the referees should not dictate/control the pace of the game.

Personally, I like to boo the ref's no matter what. Just to get into their head a little bit, keep them on their toes (works with some but not all). Sooner or later you may get a call you may have not gotten otherwise.

Yesterday was without a doubt the worst officiated game at Bud Walton in a while, and even Stevie Wonder could've seen that. ;D

Fatman

As a nine year official you should know by now to stay off of boards trying to explain the art of officiating. No one will ever understand the science of officiating. As a recently retired college official of twenty years I can tell you the fans will never care or want to know the nuances . Ask any fan how many rules in the game of basektball and see what kinds of answers you get. Every official misses calls and some are worse than others but they are not doing it intentionally and they are getting paid alot of money to officiate and if they were not good they would not be at the major college level.

Bigmac

As a former football official I take some offense to you pompous stance. You are correct that basketball is a much harder sport to officiate. What it sounds like you fail to realize is that the game is for the players not the coaches or officials. It does not take a rocket scientist to call a game so come down off that pedestal. It just takes someone who will call the game consistently on both sides of the ball. This games was not called that way. Mistakes happen but make sure they are on both sides of the ball. There is nothing more annoying than pompous or whiney officials. They may have more insight than the fans but some of the officials I know would have some fans run circles around them. I will not smite you this time but I will let the others continue.

Bigmac

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on February 10, 2008, 12:05:00 pm
I think that a fan wants to come away from the game knowing the players determined the outcome,  not a big penalty or a ticky tacky foul that sent the best player to the bench.  Officials have a very hard job and yet part of their professionalism is to use restraint during a heated moment.  Afterall,  you don't want as a legacy, being the official who made the bad call, at the worst time...

Yea, but rules are rules and you can't ignore them. That is why consistency is the most important virtue in officiating. You have to do your job, stay in position and be 100% you saw what you called.

bsking

Oh i got plenty.

1)Thomas' elbow that never got whithen 4 inches of the guys head.  that guy deserves an oscar.
2)Charge on Ervin when the dude might as well have dived in front of him.
3)Whistle for a foul as ervin puts up a jumper the ref watches the shot until it drops THEN waves it off and says the foul is on the floor.
4)The shot clock violation that was really about 2 seconds off.  Sonny shoots the ball and the ball is nearly on the rim when the buzzer goes off and he calls shot clock violation.

the last two i mentioned really really got the crowd angry, for a good reason.  It seemed a little fishy to me.