Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey is a really good coach

Started by Tomhog™, February 09, 2008, 07:24:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

February 09, 2008, 07:24:45 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:34:21 pm by Tomhog™
There is no debating that in my mind.  He has turned this team into a mentally tough enough team to pul out wins.  We might not win much on the road again, but they are taking care of the home court.  Good job John!  Great win for the Hogs!

Oliver

I'm getting more impressed with Pelphrey as the season goes on.  We're getting better as the year goes on and that's the sign of a good coach.

Pigonometry

Baseball is simple, but never easy.

gohogsgo006

you are right. I fear if this team was still led by the nonchalant Heath, we most likely would have folded. Glad to have Pelphrey and the Pelraisers!
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

U.P. HOGG

Tomhog, I think that we would have lost a game like this with Heath.  Reason:  No fire as a coach and no defense.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 09, 2008, 07:25:41 pm
I'm getting more impressed with Pelphrey as the season goes on.  We're getting better as the year goes on and that's the sign of a good coach.

Welcome to the club. We're glad to have you with us.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HamHands

I love his intensity! He has made this team mentally tougher, and they hustle much more than last year. He is a very good coach. We might need to tip the hired search committee that suggested this hire.  :razorback:
One day at a time.

Razorbacks_77

I'm very impressed with how Pel has turned this team around after that loss at UGA. I am so very glad he is on our sideline.

LM RZRBCK 29

He has them playing as a TEAM. I never saw that when Heath was here. We have tons of talent and now a staff that gets them fired up to play.
Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

Tomhog™

Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on February 09, 2008, 07:30:45 pm
Tomhog, I think that we would have lost a game like this with Heath.  Reason:  No fire as a coach and no defense.

I don't doubt it.  Hogs had a poor shooting performance today.  Usually when they shoot poor, they lose.  Pelphrey changed it up and had them get the ball to Townes more.  He is FINALLY starting to play up to his potential.  Better late than never, and I attribute that to Pel.  Another thing: when is the last time you've seen that much motion on offense?  I haven't in 5 years.

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 09, 2008, 07:33:34 pm
I don't doubt it.  Hogs had a poor shooting performance today.  Usually when they shoot poor, they lose.  Pelphrey changed it up and had them get the ball to Townes more.  He is FINALLY starting to play up to his potential.  Better late than never, and I attribute that to Pel.  Another thing: when is the last time you've seen that much motion on offense?  I haven't in 5 years.

I remember YELLING at the tv for someone to move around and try to get open with Heaths offense last year.

Pigonometry

Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on February 09, 2008, 07:38:14 pm
I remember YELLING at the tv for someone to move around and try to get open with Heaths offense last year.

Exactly.  When we lose this year it the result of a bad shooting game, not lack of coaching or effort.............  I can live with that............
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

rude1

Too early for me to make that statement. But I am more pleased with the development of this team over the last four games. The true test of Pel isn't this season, it's where he takes the program after this season.

Arkiebrian

Pelphrey is a great coach.  Only a week and a half ago it looked like we were going to have a disappointing season...he's convinced the team to reach deep and play hard.  Unbelievable turnaround...

If they can win in Knoxville on Wednesday...look out!

hview

Wasn't it against Miss State, that we shot so bad. Would you not agree that our intense defense and rebounding won that game? If I recall we didn't shoot a high percentage. We seem to feed off our defense. 

hawgfan80

Absolutely. The Hogs didn't shoot well today but still gutted it out. Pelphrey has gotten them to give effort and be mentally tough. The players know their roles this year.

Arkiebrian

I like how Pelphrey got them to switch from focusing on the three to a down-low game in the second half.

It takes great coaching to make an in-game switch like that, I think.

hogninja

When you win on a bad shooting night, that's coaching.  Go Pel. ;D :razorback:

Arkiebrian

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on February 09, 2008, 07:50:29 pm
Well my uncle told me that Arkansas was champion in 94 and almost 1995...
Ummm...yeah...I remember those days well.  The Glory Days.

eldeearr

Although I hate Kentucky, I hope Billy Gillespie is moderately successful there.  No championships, but just good enough to keep his job.  That way, Pel will stay here for sure.   Heck, he might end up liking it so much he would stay anyway.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: eldeearr on February 09, 2008, 07:57:43 pm
Although I hate Kentucky, I hope Billy Gillespie is moderately successful there.  No championships, but just good enough to keep his job.  That way, Pel will stay here for sure.   Heck, he might end up liking it so much he would stay anyway.
We could always pay him better than Kentucky so he wouldn't have a reason to go.

But lets not get to worrying about that just yet.

heathtits

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 09, 2008, 07:25:41 pm

Good to finally hear it from you. You were the biggest "AHHH THE SKY IS FALLING, THIS TEAM SUCKS" cry baby. Now it looks like you're eating your own words.

cityhog

man, if we can play THAT poorly and still gut out a win,  there is big time HOPE for this team.  17-5.  Still have Vandy, Auburn and LSU at home.  That is 20 right there  steal a couple of road wins and we are golden.

hview

I have to believe this team is going to play defense with a passion against Tn, will it be enough we'll see.

WADHOG

Exactly.  Nolan's teams did that often.  They would shoot 38 percent(and not much better from the line), and beat a good team by ten.  Hustle and defense are the two differences I see, especially post-Georgia game.

jchill

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on February 09, 2008, 07:26:40 pm
you are right. I fear if this team was still led by the nonchalant Heath, we most likely would have folded. Glad to have Pelphrey and the Pelraisers!

Pelraisers? I like that. I wonder if there is a section in Bud Walton with that name.

kimjongsqUeAl

I agree.  I LOVE how Pel made the team go back to practice again after they had already practiced earlier Fri evening.  Pel has exceptional basketball insticts and it's been paying off.  Pel said he didnt like the way they practiced; an assistant coach said the players knew they only had so long to practice because they had to leave the court for the Ladybacks game, so he had come back - BRILLIANT! 

I thank God Dana Altman had a change of heart right at the last minute.  GO HOGS!!!
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

gohogsgo006

Quote from: Arkiebrian on February 09, 2008, 08:05:08 pm
We could always pay him better than Kentucky so he wouldn't have a reason to go.

Basketball is all that Kentucky has...we could not outbid them. They would give their football coach a pay cut to get the best basketball coach. We could not outbid them for a bball coach.

Secondly, money prolly wont have too much to do with it. When the university that gave you a scholly to play bball, has your jersey in the rafters, fans love you, good prestige comes calling you....you might take a pay cut to go back home.

Lets just enjoy him while he wears razorback red
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Arkiebrian

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on February 09, 2008, 08:32:10 pm
Basketball is all that Kentucky has...we could not outbid them. They would give their football coach a pay cut to get the best basketball coach. We could not outbid them for a bball coach.

Secondly, money prolly wont have too much to do with it. When the university that gave you a scholly to play bball, has your jersey in the rafters, fans love you, good prestige comes calling you....you might take a pay cut to go back home.

Lets just enjoy him while he wears razorback red
Yes I know you're probably right.  I didn't realize Pelprey's jersey was retired there.

We really shouldn't worry about this at this point....and root for Billy G. to turn things around there.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on February 09, 2008, 08:33:42 pm
Didn't the coach that was supposed to come here came from Creighton?  I think it was they who lost by 22 points today.... can anyone help me with that?
I am so glad Altman changed his mind...

Altman was famously hired, came to Fayetteville and "forced" to call the Hogs after his acceptance speech...

...he immediately got cold feet and went back home to Creighton...thank God

Chuck Porker

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 09, 2008, 07:24:45 pm
There is no debating that in my mind.  He has turned this team into a mentally tough enough team to pul out wins.  We might not win much on the road again, but they are taking care of the home court.  Good job John!  Great win for the Hogs!

+ One

jbcarol

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on February 09, 2008, 08:33:42 pm
Didn't the coach that was supposed to come here came from Creighton?  I think it was they who lost by 22 points today.... can anyone help me with that?

Yes.  Dana Altman.

You know that Tim Tebow was born on The Philippine Islands.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

31to6

Quote from: Arkiebrian on February 09, 2008, 08:05:08 pm

No amount of money will keep him from going to Kentucky if that is his dream. We need to pay him well if he succeeds--no doubt about it--but the way to keep him in Fayetteville is for him to thoroughly love being there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: wdremington on February 09, 2008, 08:44:14 pm
No amount of money will keep him from going to Kentucky if that is his dream. We need to pay him well if he succeeds--no doubt about it--but the way to keep him in Fayetteville is for him to thoroughly love being there.
I agree.  Luckily Fayetteville is a great place to live, and Razorback fans are soon the be the best in the nation.  Arkansas has that southern hospitality and we're passionate about our teams.  what more could you want.  Pel and Petrino could really do well for themselves and their family here.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RazorNoles

Quote from: rude1 on February 09, 2008, 07:46:55 pm
The true test of Pel isn't this season, it's where he takes the program after this season.

How is this season not a true test of Coach Pel??? No matter how strong the talent, he was handed a team that underperformed the past few years. He is getting them to play with passion and fire.