Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brewer and Modica or Weems and Beverly

Started by PorkSoda, February 09, 2008, 07:05:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

February 09, 2008, 07:05:04 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:08:01 pm by PorkSoda
Who's better? Or how would you compare them?

Obviously Brewer was a lottery pick, but Weems has started to come around and be a consistant scorer.  Brewer Averaged about 19 points a game and like 3 steals.  But weems has been scoring in the 20's lately. 

Modica used to score like 26 points a game, but he took a lot of shots.  How would you compare Beverly to Modica?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogfan_no1

How about Brewer and MONCRIEF!?!?  Now THAT was a duo!
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

hawgsav1

Definitely Brewer and Modica.  Weems has only matured this year.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

WMHawgfan

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hawgsav1 on February 09, 2008, 07:21:54 pm
Definitely Brewer and Modica.  Weems has only matured this year.

Modica was so one-dimensional..he only wanted to chuck treys, and he couldn't handle the rock.

Weems and Beverley are so much more productive as a duo.

Brewer is the best player overall of the foursome, but the combo of Beverley and Weems outdo Brewer and Modica. Weems just gets better and better and better.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hawgfan80

I'd rather have Beverley and Weems. They get after it on the defensive end and rebound - in addition to scoring. Brewer was obviously the best overall and Modica had flashes but Beverley and Weems are gamers.

Plus, the one thing that changes the argument is Stan Heath. If Pelphrey coached Brewer and Modica, you might've seen different players.

spahoopsfan

First off Brewer and Modica didn't play well together.  Weems and Beverly is my pick.  Weems will play in the NBA.  The only thing he really has to work on is his ball handling skills.  Shawn Marion for instant does not have good ball handling skills.  Beverly may surprise some people too and get a shot at the nba.  He is a determined person and attitude and motivation can make the difference.

hawgsav1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 09, 2008, 07:30:26 pm
Modica was so one-dimensional..he only wanted to chuck treys, and he couldn't handle the rock.

Brewer is the best player overall of the foursome, but the combo of Beverley and Weems outdo Brewer and Modica. Weems just gets better and better and better.

Modica was one of the best at penetration we had for those few years (that sounds funny).  He looked so awkward with the ball, but he managed to put it in the hole, which is what counts.  Brewer and Weems probably had the same amount of athleticism, but Brewer's nose for defense was phenomenal.  He could play 3 positions on the court and had a nose for the passing lane similar to Kobe Bryant so he could get breakaway dunks and the like.  Weems is still very raw, and his abilities have only been showcased in this year's SEC play.  Modica was also a great hustle player (which is ironic considering Heath didn't know the meaning of the word).  Modica was a streaky shooter, but when he got hot, he was lights out.  I'd take Brewer and Modica.

heathtits

Stan Heath RUINED John Modica. He would have been one of the greats. Does anyone remember when he hit 6 threes in something like a minute and a half. It was great to watch him takeover games.

rkamsterdam

February 09, 2008, 08:23:39 pm #11 Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:27:42 pm by rkamsterdam
Quote from: hawgsav1 on February 09, 2008, 08:08:35 pm
Modica was one of the best at penetration we had for those few years (that sounds funny). 

I disagree which your analysis of Modica.  Pookie scored an overwhelming majority of his points off assisted set shots.  He always seemed a bit anxious driving to the hole and shooting off the dribble.  But, he was indeed very streaky which is why he had so many 25+ points/game. 

Modica was a liability on D.

that being said, I'd chose a hot modica/brewer over weems/beverly, but weems/beverly on any other day because of the consistency issues of modica.

erniehog

how about day and mayberry
               walker and robertson
               beck and thurman?

but the winner is

Sidney Moncrief and Boothead

rkamsterdam

Quote from: erniehog on February 09, 2008, 08:31:14 pm
               walker and robertson
               beck and thurman?

but the winner is

clearly the point of this thread is not to brag about your knowledge of lethal razorback duos of the past, but to compare and contrast the two listed in the subject. 

hillhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 09, 2008, 07:05:04 pm

Obviously Brewer was a lottery pick, but Weems has started to come around and be a consistant scorer.  Brewer Averaged about 19 points a game and like 3 steals.  But weems has been scoring in the 20's lately. 

Modica used to score like 26 points a game, but he took a lot of shots.  How would you compare Beverly to Modica?

Without a second thought, BEVERLEY.

L.A.

Quote from: heathtits on February 09, 2008, 08:12:19 pm
Stan Heath RUINED John Modica. He would have been one of the greats. Does anyone remember when he hit 6 threes in something like a minute and a half. It was great to watch him takeover games.

Yes Heath did ruin Modica.  Remember this kid as a freshman?  He had an amazing year that year(even though the team was horrible)  Heath wasted Modica's junior year by playing Olu Famutimi.  If Pookie would've played in Nolan or Pel's system I think he would have been an arkansas legend.  No he didn't handle the rock well buet he was strong, could run, penetrate, and shoot.

Ok I'm done ranting; I'll take Weems/Beverly based on the fact they are winners......well, this year anyways :)

hogfan74

i think weems/beverley have more of a team first attitude.

rkamsterdam

Quote from: lower_arkansas on February 09, 2008, 09:19:21 pm
Heath wasted Modica's junior year by playing Olu Famutimi. 

the bigger waste of talent was heath's misuse and development of Olu. 

hogsmaster

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 09, 2008, 07:30:26 pm

excellent assessment

HawgNthaWater

"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 09, 2008, 07:05:04 pm

Modica did alot for us. If we didnt have him, we would be so terrible and might not be where we are now but with that said give me Beverley any day.

If Modica's shot wasnt going, he was done for the day. If Beverley is not hitting, he can hit the boards and create things with his passion for the game.

Right now I'd take the Bev/Weems duo but Brewer/Modica was no slouch.

Of all four Brewer was obviousl the best player.

4razorbacksinky

I loved Brewer but, you can't forget that guy had the ugliest jumpshot I ever saw. It was nasty!
Fear the Tusks!

hawgsav1

Quote from: 4razorbacksinky on February 09, 2008, 11:51:01 pm
I loved Brewer but, you can't forget that guy had the ugliest jumpshot I ever saw. It was nasty!

That's cuz of his arm injury/accident when he was a kid.  He's shot it funky ever since.

James T

Walker and Robertson period. They raped guards on defense.  Great hands on both of them.

HogFaninMemphis

I'd say Brewer and Modica because they were much more consistent.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

G-HOG

No contest,hands down Walker and Robertson.

eathill5

Quote from: James T on February 10, 2008, 06:57:51 am
Walker and Robertson period. They raped guards on defense.  Great hands on both of them.
Quote from: G-HOG on February 10, 2008, 03:01:45 pm
No contest,hands down Walker and Robertson.

you two can start a new thread and figure out who are the best ever this was to compare these four players.  Nobody said these were the best in Arkansas history.

I would take weems/beverly especially after beverly has a few more years to play.  I forget he is just a sophomore sometimes.
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: erniehog on February 09, 2008, 08:31:14 pm
               walker and robertson
               beck and thurman?

but the winner is

I'd take Moncrief, Brewer and Delph. They'd beat anybody or threesome  from UA lore you want to put on the court. Sorry about that Day, Mayberry and Williamson.

RazorBassin

I believe Beck, Thurman and Williamson would be hard to beat.

dchoss

speaking of Brewer, does anybody known if he is injured?  He landed on his back last week and i didnt notice him playing last nite against against the bulls. 
if you don't stand behind our troops by all means 'feel free' to stand in front of them