Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Gruden--MERGED

Started by jbcarol, April 15, 2012, 03:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: lewisfoxtrot on April 15, 2012, 08:24:12 pm
Jim Leavitt is not a pipe dream and would make a very good coach.

Definitely a moral high road guy.

Hawg414

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2012, 08:21:22 pm
Pete Carroll 9 times out of 8.

anyone picking Gruden is out of their ever-loving mind

funny how this works.  id go jon gruden 9 times out of 8, and anyone picking carroll is out of their mind.

in fact, id go so far as to say it is so lopsided they dont even belong in the same poll.  a more accurate poll would be chuckie gruden or chuck norris. 

bc of his "tv personality" gruden would have 5* recruits calling him asking for a spot. 

El Guapo

"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

Bluehog007

Pete has waaaaaaay toooooooooo much baggage

Oklahawg

Carroll is probably not even viable as a dream candidate because he won't pass the character test due to USC's probation.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

CR7

Quote from: Catfish Joe on April 15, 2012, 08:24:08 pm
Gruden.

Carroll is A LOT older and aint got the bling that Chucky has.

Um what?

kingofdequeen

carroll is a proven winning machine in college.

gruden won a super bowl when todays recruits were what, 6?

gruden has a touch of star power, but carroll is the brass balls coffee-drinking closer. 

you know what gruden gets if he follows PC into the living room of a recruit?

WilsonHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 15, 2012, 08:28:18 pm
Carroll is probably not even viable as a dream candidate because he won't pass the character test due to USC's probation.

Agreed.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: Cure on April 15, 2012, 08:18:58 pm
Miami's pockets aren't as deep as Arkansas'.

This. Arkansas should be much more enticing. Miami isn't the Miami of early 2000 or late 80's.

Bring on Jon, Jay, and Leavitt!!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

kingofdequeen

jim leavitt is not afraid to slap a b#tch.

Catfish Joe

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

hogball33

We saved 18 million not buying out CBP so put that towards Chucky's buyout.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

17.1 over four years? That's a 4.2 mil a year. We could match/beat that IMO, for a name like his. And Arkansas is in a much better position to win than Miami at the time. It also seems GRuden wants to get back into coaching sometime in the near future. Why not now?

kingofdequeen

Smokehouse

Gruden extended his contract since then and it was widely reported at the time that he and ESPN both knew he was interested in getting back to coaching.

If he was interested in coaching, and if the buyout was the roadblock to Miami, I'm guessing he'd have worked a lower buyout into the extension and told ESPN "I'm yours until the right situation comes along."

Anything regarding Gruden's contract is pure speculation because the terms are undisclosed.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Nipsey Mussle

duckman

Just got off the phone, Gruden is interested...... fact.  Where it goes from here who knows?

hogfan74

I'd rather have Bobby.  I'm about to cry again!!

IronHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 15, 2012, 08:28:18 pm

He will be  viable because Jeff Long needs a coach better than BP edited.

BBP is one of the few on that list that might want to knock heads with Saban and Miles bad enough to take a hard look......

Plus he can pick out his new chair for his office in the football center and have the new EZ named after him.

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Roctavious

RazorCraft

Gruden is far and away the absolute best option!

If we could get him, he would do wonders for the program...

-instant noterity in the eyes of 4 and 5 star recruits.

-west coast offense...very similar to the current pro style we utilize.

- been out of coaching for a while, so he might be open to keeping the staff in tact.

-When he was in Tampa, he didnt come in and make changes to the things that were working.  He kept Tampa Cover 2 Defense, but injected some FIRE that Tony Dungy was lacking.

In my opinion, he is the ultimate hire and would get us to the TOP.

This is a show-me world and I'm sick of talking!
CBP

nonamer66

Quote from: duckman on April 15, 2012, 08:37:59 pm
Just got off the phone, Gruden is interested...... fact.  Where it goes from here who knows?

lmao

MuskogeeHogFan

Reportedly, he and Daly have discussed it but he apparently hasn't been contacted by Arkansas.

I know we keep hearing that Long isn't doing anything with regard to a coaching search at this time, but I'm not buying that for a minute. I'd also be willing to bet that he already had a "short-list" of coaches that he would be interested in, somewhere in his desk long before this thing ever came up. If not, he isn't the organized AD that I thought he was.
Go Hogs Go!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: RazorCraft on April 15, 2012, 08:39:17 pm
Gruden is far and away the absolute best option!

If we could get him, he would do wonders for the program...

-instant noterity in the eyes of 4 and 5 star recruits.

-west coast offense...very similar to the current pro style we utilize.

- been out of coaching for a while, so he might be open to keeping the staff in tact.

-When he was in Tampa, he didnt come in and make changes to the things that were working.  He kept Tampa Cover 2 Defense, but injected some FIRE that Tony Dungy was lacking.

In my opinion, he is the ultimate hire and would get us to the TOP.

All of this!

Now when he gets here we must have in his contract that he cannot go to another SEC school to coach.  It seems like he does really like Tn.
Retired Radio Host

Triple T

Gruden.

Pete would obviously be a great hire, but I doubt he would stay here more than 5-10 years due to his age. He's already proven every possible thing on the college level.

With Gruden, you get a squeaky clean young guy who has already had tremendous success on the pro level. He would instantly make us media darlings, every analyst on ESPN would be talking us up. We would have top 10 recruiting classes every year and I think he's a guy that would stay here 20 years if he liked it enough.

Can't go wrong with either, but Gruden is young and hungry, has a clean record, and everybody loves him.

Cure

April 15, 2012, 08:44:29 pm #226 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:48:10 pm by Cure
Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 15, 2012, 08:25:42 pm
i'm not sure this is correct.

Gruden didn't get hired at Miami because he wanted to increase the budget for the football program. High pay for assistants and upgrades all around.

I'll put it like this:

As of December 2011 -> Arkansas Expenses -$22,005,104 Miami - $17,863,218

Courtesy - http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06/20/which-football-and-basketball-programs-produce-the-largest-profits/

Tad bit difference there, eh?  They were not willing to add that much to their expenses. See here: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14387018/ad-hocutt-cutting-up-miamis-chances-at-quality-coaches

Miami was willing to pony up $3M for Gruden. Pretty sure Arkansas could add a few more nickels to that amount.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

BloodRedHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 15, 2012, 08:41:43 pm
Reportedly, he and Daly have discussed it but he apparently hasn't been contacted by Arkansas.

I know we keep hearing that Long isn't doing anything with regard to a coaching search at this time, but I'm not buying that for a minute. I'd also be willing to bet that he already had a "short-list" of coaches that he would be interested in, somewhere in his desk long before this thing ever came up. If not, he isn't the organized AD that I thought he was.

I highly doubt Petrino was on his short or long list prior to Nutt leaving, like Grobe was....let's hope Long can adapt and get on the phone to GRuden's agent.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Bottom line: Long should do what it takes to get him here if he is really interested. It is just the hire we need to make things right, again. Time to put your big boy pants on, Long.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 15, 2012, 08:41:43 pm

Long would be a (bigger) fool to ignore this. If we know, he has to.

duckman

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BloodRedHog on April 15, 2012, 08:46:07 pm
I highly doubt Petrino was on his short or long list prior to Nutt leaving, like Grobe was....let's hope Long can adapt and get on the phone to GRuden's agent.

Yeah, I'm not saying who Long had on his short list because I have no idea and I am sure he is the only one who does. I just believe like the vast majority of organized AD's, he had a list ready to go in case of a rainy day...and right now it is pouring.

I agree that we lucked into BP at the time, but despite this and the rumors at the time surrounding Grobe and others, we'll never know what Long was really doing because he plays this all very close to the vest.
Go Hogs Go!

Richard_white

Make it happen, Jeff.  Call Chucky!

RazorCraft

It would be awesome if we could get him a contract similar to one with Bobby's buyout clause...

plus, if we got him here, I dont think we would have to worry about him going to another SEC school.  Bama is locked in with Saban and he already turned down Florida once.  Tenner would be my only concern since he has roots there, thus the buyout!
This is a show-me world and I'm sick of talking!
CBP

Triple T

Nipsey Mussle

I'm glad to see this from a reputable poster. The ones who are laughing obv don't know the difference between the noob posters and the ones who are legit.

nonamer66

Quote from: helmuthjr21 on April 15, 2012, 08:55:20 pm
I'm glad to see this from a reputable poster. The ones who are laughing obv don't know the difference between the noob posters and the ones who are legit.

I was assuming it was a joke.

Nipsey Mussle

Catfish Joe

-John Heisman-

brightstar hog

Said he was going to call Daly, guess he did.

Nipsey Mussle

Espn only made his contract that way so that JG couldn't become our HC. Man, they really hate us

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: duckman on April 15, 2012, 08:48:22 pm
Laugh all you want, I am smiling....
did you talk to JD? if so, did you ask if jeff knew of said interest?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

duckman

Quote from: brightstar hog on April 15, 2012, 08:58:55 pm
Said he was going to call Daly, guess he did.

Sent him a message, talked to someone else.  Mods know who.

Cure

Miami tried to lowball their #1 target(2010), Arkansas paid $2.85M for Petrino (if I can remember correctly) in '07. I am inclined to believe that Arkansas can be much more competitive in coaching salaries, especially after saving money on Bobby.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

duckman

Quote from: helmuthjr21 on April 15, 2012, 09:00:04 pm
Espn only made his contract that way so that JG couldn't become our HC. Man, they really hate us

Supposedly doesn't go into effect til Sept.

brightstar hog

I find this great news!!
Quote from: duckman on April 15, 2012, 09:00:54 pm

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: duckman on April 15, 2012, 09:00:54 pm
well, is the yankee aware?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Roctavious

I'm just replying that Carroll has bling of his own. Gruden doesn't really have much after that super bowl which was his first year there with the team Dungy put together. Of course he played a team that HE put together so that may be a wash. Carroll took over a program that while historically an elite program, there were definitely down before he got there and hadn't been "elite" for a few years. Remember, Nutt had the on the schedule so they couldn't have been that great because he thought it was a good idea when it was made

mmhogs17

We could easily meet the demands he wanted at Miami.

RazorPiggie

I like this.