Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 29, 2024, 02:25:31 am

RWIII

Started by Hog_Swanson, November 09, 2017, 02:16:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog_Swanson

What is this rumor about insurance fraud mentioned in another thread?  Is it just more BS?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

onebadrubi

Fraud is a strong word and I have to believe that is a misuse of the meaning of probably what happened.  What I have seen discussed was Long and Co messed up the insurance thing, not fraud, and it cost the foundation or school 1mil.  All appears to be rumor, but I would assume that means they didn't purchase the insurance correctly or something and were on the hook for the pay out. 

hawgon

Just spitballing here but I can't see the insurance wanting to pay after the kid hurt his neck the first time and getting permanently injured again.  The school may have informed him incorrectly regarding his options or that insurance would pay if he played again.

Tusks

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 02:48:44 pm
Just spitballing here but I can't see the insurance wanting to pay after the kid hurt his neck the first time and getting permanently injured again.  The school may have informed him incorrectly regarding his options or that insurance would pay if he played again.

Welp as a rep of the UA then JL put the department is on the hook for that. I'd think that would be a fireable offense.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hawganatic

So what role would an AD play in player insurance?  I suspect just signing off, which means he would sign whatever was put in front of him, even if that much. 

I really doubt he played an active role in putting the docs and coverage together for RWIII.

hawgon

Quote from: hawganatic on November 09, 2017, 02:55:18 pm
So what role would an AD play in player insurance?  I suspect just signing off, which means he would sign whatever was put in front of him, even if that much. 

I really doubt he played an active role in putting the docs and coverage together for RWIII.

It could be as simple not scheduling an appointment for him to sign a rider or release or
leaving something out.  In that instance, rather than see a kid suffer and/or risk embarrassing litigation, they would probably just pay him.

hawganatic

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 02:58:00 pm
It could be as simple not scheduling an appointment for him to sign a rider or release or
leaving something out.  In that instance, rather than see a kid suffer and/or risk embarrassing litigation, they would probably just pay him.

But again, would the AD be involved in scheduling an appointment, or getting the rider/release signed, or whatever wasn't in the paperwork that should have been?  Just seems like this is work that is below the AD's pay grade.

And I'm really not asking this to be facitious.  I'm trying to understand what his role in this would be, compared to the board's perception of what his role was.

DeltaBoy

Nothing more than a Tempest in a Teapot .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgon

Quote from: hawganatic on November 09, 2017, 03:02:12 pm
But again, would the AD be involved in scheduling an appointment, or getting the rider/release signed, or whatever wasn't in the paperwork that should have been?  Just seems like this is work that is below the AD's pay grade.

And I'm really not asking this to be facitious.  I'm trying to understand what his role in this would be, compared to the board's perception of what his role was.

If it happens under his watch, he is responsible.  He gets paid a million dollars a year to input systems to make sure this sort of darn doesn't happen.

JayHog

That's why you have to always know what you're signing your name to. Long has been around long enough (no pun intended) to know that.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 03:04:57 pm
If it happens under his watch, he is responsible.  He gets paid a million dollars a year to input systems to make sure this sort of darn doesn't happen.

Sort of like Trump and all the Russia stuff.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 09, 2017, 03:13:12 pm

slippery slope there...

Hogwild

The athletic department would be the ones to approve the purchase of insurance using the NCAA Student Assistance Fund to purchase either PTD or LoV policies.  If he used the NCAA Student Assistance Fund and the school messed up the paperwork and the insurance denied the claim, then the school would be on the hook.

That would be the only think of off, that would put the liability on the school.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogwild on November 09, 2017, 04:04:45 pm

The athletic department would be the ones to approve the purchase of insurance using the NCAA Student Assistance Fund to purchase either PTD or LoV policies.  If he used the NCAA Student Assistance Fund and the school messed up the paperwork and the insurance denied the claim, then the school would be on the hook.

That would be the only think of off, that would put the liability on the school.
That could be a potentially major OOPPPSSS.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

RazorWest

Does Insurance pay out if a player "decides" not to play.   Not sure there is any reason that RWIII can't play other than a much higher risk of serious injury. 

hawganatic

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 03:04:57 pm

No, actually he wouldn't be responsible.  It would be the responsibility of whoever was hired to take care of this type of thing for the athletic department.  Do you really think the AD looks at every document that goes through the athletic department?  Do you really think any one person could?

This is the type of thought process that turns into a really bad slippery slope.  If it happens "under his watch," then it happens under the Chancellor's, President's, and anybody else above the AD in the chain.  Are they all responsible? 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hawganatic on November 09, 2017, 04:19:53 pm
No, actually he wouldn't be responsible.  It would be the responsibility of whoever was hired to take care of this type of thing for the athletic department.  Do you really think the AD looks at every document that goes through the athletic department?  Do you really think any one person could?

This is the type of thought process that turns into a really bad slippery slope.  If it happens "under his watch," then it happens under the Chancellor's, President's, and anybody else above the AD in the chain.  Are they all responsible? 

When you get down to it, it's Asa's fault.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawganatic on November 09, 2017, 04:19:53 pm

Kind of like hiring your mistress?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Seebs

I have a feeling it is none of my business.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hog_Swanson

So, like I thought.  This is just BS rumor mill stuff.  Mods, please lock the thread.  You know where you can move it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Hoggish1

Quote from: tusked on November 09, 2017, 02:51:43 pm
Welp as a rep of the UA then JL put the department is on the hook for that. I'd think that would be a fireable offense.

Among many other screw up for that guy...

Hawg Life

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 09, 2017, 03:13:12 pm

Trump didn't buy a fake dossier.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 09, 2017, 04:48:27 pm
So, like I thought.  This is just BS rumor mill stuff.  Mods, please lock the thread.  You know where you can move it.

According to a Mod earlier today, this has been discussed for quite some time here on Hogville.

If so, Mods buried it deep.  I can't find any old threads dealing with it.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ballz2thewall

i agree with the probabilities here. unless it's some sortof grand scheme failure, i doubt the AD is directly involved in a ministerial error.
The rest of the frog.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 04:22:25 pm
Kind of like hiring your mistress?
Is it really a mistress if you give her $20k?

Piggfoot

I believe this is a bs rumor. I don't claim to be an insurance person but what company would write a Million dollar policy for a player who has no irreversible injury and has not recieved an offer from a NFL team to play. If there is a policy of this type wouldn't more college players try and cash on it. Lastly, if there is such a policy I would think the insuree would be the one to purchase the policy.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 09, 2017, 07:08:11 pm
Is it really a mistress if you give her $20k?

Haha, good point!!

RaisinHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 09, 2017, 07:23:55 pm
I believe this is a bs rumor. I don't claim to be an insurance person but what company would write a Million dollar policy for a player who has no irreversible injury and has not recieved an offer from a NFL team to play. If there is a policy of this type wouldn't more college players try and cash on it. Lastly, if there is such a policy I would think the insuree would be the one to purchase the policy.

Bingo