Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS Sportswriter crystal ball of SEC coaching searches

Started by Hogwild, November 06, 2017, 11:51:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

SEC Coaching Projections of the Week:

There are going to be a lot of coaching changes in the SEC this offseason. The Florida job is already open, Tennessee looks likely to follow, and the West could have four of its teams looking for a new coach this winter with Kevin Sumlin seemingly on the outs at Texas A&M and if Dan Mullen decides to move on from Starkville, Mississippi.

So, for the sake of toying with people's lives, I've decided I want to do some coaching projections for this winter. Jerry Palm gets to do our playoff and bowl projections, and I want to do this. So these are my best guesses as to which coach will be leading the respective SEC schools below come 2018.

QuoteFlorida -- Willie Taggart: I think Scott Frost is Florida's first choice, but I believe he's more interested in returning to his alma mater than coaching in Gainesville. So once Frost passes on the job, the Gators turn to Taggart, who returns to the state of Florida after one season at Oregon.

Tennessee -- Mike Norvell: Man, I would love to be Norvell's agent. Depending on what goes down this winter, the Memphis coach could be a target at Tennessee, Florida, Ole Miss and Arkansas. So while I don't know exactly where Norvell will be by next season, I do know he'll be getting paid more than he is right now.

QuoteTexas A&M -- Chad Morris: It just seems like an obvious move should the Aggies move on from Sumlin. While the overall record at SMU may not be impressive, one must consider the state of the program Morris inherited and the turnaround he's led thus far

QuoteArkansas -- Neal Brown: Brown's Troy team beat LSU earlier this season to get some national attention, but he's built a solid program at the school since taking over. He has SEC experience, and he also runs a more modern offense. An offense far more similar to the one Bobby Petrino had success with at Arkansas. It's the smart road for the Hogs to take because it's really difficult to out-Alabama Alabama.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-monday-after-the-big-ten-may-want-to-rethink-its-divisional-structure/

Hollywood870

I watched the LSU Troy game and was impressed with Troy's offensive system.

Tusks

Some of these writers don't know that Norvell has Arkansas contacts and a real history in the state.  They just put names with schools.  They think since Memphis is in TN then the next progression is UT.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

go hogues

Quote from: Hogwild on November 06, 2017, 11:51:28 am
SEC Coaching Projections of the Week:

There are going to be a lot of coaching changes in the SEC this offseason. The Florida job is already open, Tennessee looks likely to follow, and the West could have four of its teams looking for a new coach this winter with Kevin Sumlin seemingly on the outs at Texas A&M and if Dan Mullen decides to move on from Starkville, Mississippi.

So, for the sake of toying with people's lives, I've decided I want to do some coaching projections for this winter. Jerry Palm gets to do our playoff and bowl projections, and I want to do this. So these are my best guesses as to which coach will be leading the respective SEC schools below come 2018.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-monday-after-the-big-ten-may-want-to-rethink-its-divisional-structure/
It will also be interesting to see who Ole Miss is able to attract and really interesting if Mullen and Gus leave.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that there will be five openings in the SECW. The Saban effect. Yikes.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogsanity

Quote from: go hogues on November 06, 2017, 12:01:33 pm
It will also be interesting to see who Ole Miss is able to attract and really interesting if Mullen and Gus leave.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that there will be five openings in the SECW. The Saban effect. Yikes.

Actually 6: AR, OM, A&M, TN, FLA, + someone leaving another school for another job. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AFWarrior83

I want the next head coach to earn his paycheck. No more $3.5 mil annually guaranteed. It's not worth it unless we're winning! Lace the contract with larger than normal incentives. Win an SEC championship, +$5 mil kinda incentives. I'd rather pay $2 mil max and stuff the contract with incentives. This guarantee BS is exactly that, BS. It only produces mediocrity. There's no added motivation to win big. The university can afford the incentive money too, and it would actually be worth it! I'd be fine with the head coach earning $7+ mil for winning an SEC championship.
Hogville member since 2005.

The_Iceman

Would be majorly disappointed if this came true. What a let down that would be.

hogsanity

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on November 06, 2017, 12:05:32 pm
I want the next head coach to earn his paycheck. No more $3.5 mil annually guaranteed. It's not worth it unless we're winning! Lace the contract with larger than normal incentives. Win an SEC championship, +$5 mil kinda incentives. I'd rather pay $2 mil max and stuff the contract with incentives. This guarantee BS is exactly that, BS. It only produces mediocrity. There's no added motivation to win big. The university can afford the incentive money too, and it would actually be worth it! I'd be fine with the head coach earning $7+ mil for winning an SEC championship.

YEa, good luck getting anyone that has a prayer of winning in the sec with that tyoe of salary structure.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ipigsooie

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 06, 2017, 12:06:41 pm
Would be majorly disappointed if this came true. What a let down that would be.

I agree. I think we have a better shot to land Norvell than Tennessee.

hogsanity

ipigsooie

This would produce mediocrity. No good coach is going to choose us over another job with this type of contract. If you want a good coach you have to pay what the market dictates.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 12:11:12 pm
YEa, good luck getting anyone that has a prayer of winning in the sec with that tyoe of salary structure.

Someone young and hungry would take it.  Probably wouldn't be in our top 20 list, but at least aren't pissing away millions every season.  We're gonna have to hire an up and comer anyhow. And $2 mil is still good money outside the SEC, and a few blue blood programs.

Wildhog

I actually really like Brown.

He inherited a team that went 3-9 the year before he got there. 

He went 4-8 his first year, 10-3 his second, and has Troy at 7-2 so far this year with a win over LSU.

Pretty impressive, really.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

AFWarrior83

Quote from: Wildhog on November 06, 2017, 12:15:12 pm

He went 4-8 his first year, 10-3 his second, and has Troy at 7-2 so far this year with a win over LSU.

I would rather have Norvell, but I'd be ok with this guy as well. I'll be happy as long as BB is gone.

hogsanity

Yep. Runs a balanced offense, averaging 245 passing and 165 rushing per game. Defense seems pretty stingy. Not to up on what their opponents are like.

ipigsooie

hogsolutely

I would not be disappointed with either Norvell or Brown.  Let's get this rolling!

AirWarren

Quote from: tusked on November 06, 2017, 11:58:53 am
Some of these writers don't know that Norvell has Arkansas contacts and a real history in the state.  They just put names with schools.  They think since Memphis is in TN then the next progression is UT.

That doesn't matter. Who cares if he has contacts and real estate here?

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ipigsooie

Troy plays Coastal this week.  I bet they win by more than 1. Ha!

GuvHog

I'm not sure on Brown. The next week after beating LSU, his team looked totally unprepared and laid an egg against a lesser team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 06, 2017, 12:26:31 pm
I'm not sure on Brown. The next week after beating LSU, his team looked totally unprepared and laid an egg against a lesser team.

No such thing as a perfect coach.  He's done a great job at Troy.  We could do a lot worse.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tusks

I'd rather let Brown go to Tennessee and the hogs take Norvell.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

buldozer

I would take either guy.... so long as I don't have to look at that blank stare on the sideline ever again!

HognotinMemphis

Norvell is not coming to Arkansas given his likely options. He'd be beyond stupid to do so. If he comes to Arkansas, we'll know that he is not very intelligent.

Memphis is better than the Arkansas program and has been for at least 5 years. Why? Better recruiting grounds. Memphis high school football is 5x better than any HS football in entire state of Arkansas. Those kids sign with Memphis and they are rarely too celebrated...most ranked 2 and 3 stars, like most Arkansas recruits. Difference is, a 3 star in Memphis is a 4 to 5 in state of Arkansas. The competition in Memphis HS football is far greater in general than anywhere in Arkansas. Norvell and Fuente before him had this working for them. If Norvell comes to Arkansas, expect more Bielema-like results unless Norvell is able to get Memphis area players to come to Arkansas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

urkillnmesmalls

Always sounds great...but when they can get the guarantees elsewhere, why come somewhere where they could have a world beater for 6 games, suffer three major injuries to their best three players, and make less money as a result?  Next up always sounds great in the press, but unless you're Alabama, not expecting a drop off is wishful thinking. 

We'll have to pay to compete with the other high profile job openings.  That's just how it works. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ipigsooie

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 12:37:02 pm
Norvell is not coming to Arkansas given his likely options. He'd be beyond stupid to do so. If he comes to Arkansas, we'll know that he is not very intelligent.

Memphis is better than the Arkansas program and has been for at least 5 years. Why? Better recruiting grounds. Memphis high school football is 5x better than any HS football in entire state of Arkansas. Those kids sign with Memphis and they are rarely too celebrated...most ranked 2 and 3 stars, like most Arkansas recruits. Difference is, a 3 star in Memphis is a 4 to 5 in state of Arkansas. The competition in Memphis HS football is far greater in general than anywhere in Arkansas. Norvell and Fuente before him had this working for them. If Norvell comes to Arkansas, expect more Bielema-like results unless Norvell is able to get Memphis area players to come to Arkansas.

The difference is one guy can take 3 star recruits and coach them up, while another cant. Norvell recruits a lot of the kids that have signed or will be signing with Arkansas, so its not like memphis is out recruiting us. Yes memphis has been  better for 5 years. They had Fuente and Norvell. One went to VT and the other is coming to the hill.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 06, 2017, 12:28:32 pm
No such thing as a perfect coach.  He's done a great job at Troy.  We could do a lot worse.

I agree, there is no such thing as a perfect Head coach.

Like I said, I'm not sure about Brown. He's on my list but not in the top 5.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hobhog

Good grief. Think you're better off fly fishing and staying clueless about Hogs....

hawganatic

Yeah, good luck finding a quality coach with that structure.  There's a thing called market value.  We have to pay + more to get the guy we want.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hobhog on November 06, 2017, 12:42:41 pm

Good grief. Think you're better off fly fishing and staying clueless about Hogs....
I knew I'd get this from some of you who do not know jack about Memphis HS football...I lived there for 30 years. On top of that, take it personal when Arkansas high school football is called what it really is.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hobhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 12:45:02 pm
I knew I'd get this from some of you who do not know jack about Memphis HS football...I lived there for 30 years. On top of that, take it personal when Arkansas high school football is called what it really is.

We can recruit Memphis easily. Norvell would already have contacts there. No brainier.

hogsanity

On top of that, take it personal when Arkansas high school football is called what it really is.

That does seem to strike a nerve with alot of people.

Hoggie17

Dominicanhog

I like his staff.. some have solid experience and most are at home in the SEC... I'm sure he'd upgrade a few positions, but he has some nice resumes on his current roster..

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hobhog on November 06, 2017, 12:47:24 pm
We can recruit Memphis easily. Norvell would already have contacts there. No brainier.
Who is "we"? Not been able to do it for a good while. Whatever Memphis does not get, the rest go to Ole Miss, Miss St, Bama, TN and that area.Tell me which players on current Ark roster who are from Memphis (and have contributed in any meaningful way). I can think of one and he got hurt in his first year this year.

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

k.c.hawg

Every time I think I have read the stupidest, least intellectual, total lack of knowledge post, I get HiM'd again!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

urkillnmesmalls

I'm sick and tired of this conversation.  Great athletes are great athletes, and they will get noticed in today's world of social media.  Overall, how would ANYONE be able to argue that Arkansas football is outstanding?  We're still too rural of a state to allow the most talented players to play against the competition necessary to have them excel. 

By the same token, we've had some Arkansas teams be pretty successful playing some strong teams from other states.  Bentonville beat a perennial power from Florida a few seasons back, Texarkana, TX, and FV has beaten both Jenks and the Shreveport team in recent years, and we've had other examples of some success playing out of state.  Everyone wants to point toward the game when Shiloh got wrecked by a huge top classification team in TX several years back, but that wasn't even apples to apples.  That was a small school in Arkansas, playing a powerhouse big school from TX. 

But come on people...both Allen's were recruited by Bama and the big boys, and we have other examples.  We're not devoid of in state talent by any means, and getting the best to the UA will absolutely make a difference even if it's only 4-5 players a year. 

Baseball...don't get me started.  But go back up to my paragraph about needing to compete against elite talent to become elite.  That started a trend in baseball, primarily because of pitching, that has forever changed it from more of a "Sandlot" feel, to something parents throw THOUSANDS of dollars toward every year just to have a kid that's good enough to make a Varsity HS team.  It's ludicrous.  If we went back to how things were, and the pitching stayed local for the season, with a subsequent short "All Star" team that traveled around for a few games afterward, I believe we would see things improve.  Instead...the league teams are dead, because the pitching isn't up to par, so the parents want their kids competiting against the best pitching and hitting.  Hence the rise of...the travel and "showcase" teams.  It's awful...and it's not a sustainable model. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

247Hog

Quote from: go hogues on November 06, 2017, 12:01:33 pm

I can see Kiffin landing at Ole Miss or Miss St. if Mullen leaves. You would think he'd like to play against Tennessee and Saban.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

ipigsooie

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 12:52:13 pm
Who is "we"? Not been able to do it for a good while. Whatever Memphis does not get, the rest go to Ole Miss, Miss St, Bama, TN and that area.Tell me which players on current Ark roster who are from Memphis (and have contributed in any meaningful way). I can think of one and he got hurt in his first year this year.

They arent out recruiting any of those schools for kids out of memphis. What kids on the memphis roster were highly sought after recruits and chose memphis over arkansas, ole miss, msu, bama or tennessee? I wont argue the fact that they may turn out better than many higher ranked recruits,  but i relate that to the ability of Fuente and  norvell for developing them.

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

DeltaBoy

I just trying to enjoying the rest of the season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 06, 2017, 01:00:30 pm
I'm sick and tired of this conversation.  Great athletes are great athletes, and they will get noticed in today's world of social media.  Overall, how would ANYONE be able to argue that Arkansas football is outstanding?  We're still too rural of a state to allow the most talented players to play against the competition necessary to have them excel. 

By the same token, we've had some Arkansas teams be pretty successful playing some strong teams from other states.  Bentonville beat a perennial power from Florida a few seasons back, Texarkana, TX, and FV has beaten both Jenks and the Shreveport team in recent years, and we've had other examples of some success playing out of state.  Everyone wants to point toward the game when Shiloh got wrecked by a huge top classification team in TX several years back, but that wasn't even apples to apples.  That was a small school in Arkansas, playing a powerhouse big school from TX. 

But come on people...both Allen's were recruited by Bama and the big boys, and we have other examples.  We're not devoid of in state talent by any means, and getting the best to the UA will absolutely make a difference even if it's only 4-5 players a year. 

It is not that the state does not produce any players, that has never been said. However it does not produce enough to sustain a program capable of winning at a high level. The Hogs have to get so much talent from out of state that it makes it almost impossible to build AND sustain a winner here in football.

Hoggish1

MAkes a lot of $en$e

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 06, 2017, 01:37:02 pm
MAkes a lot of $en$e

Except the only coach you would get to sign that deal would be :

one with thr worst agent ever

one that is too dumb to know better

one that is so bad he'd probably work for even less

That is just not how it works, and no coach worth anything is going to sign a deal like that.

Piggfoot

It tickles me the support Norvell has on this site when his only contact is his wife and he played at UCA. Which by the way these same fans ridicule UCA and abhor the Idea of playing them.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 06, 2017, 01:44:40 pm
It tickles me the support Norvell has on this site when his only contact is his wife and he played at UCA. Which by the way these same fans ridicule UCA and abhor the Idea of playing them.

If Memphis was 8-1, but doing it 21-17 every week running the I no one would be on him for the job.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 01:30:57 pm
It is not that the state does not produce any players, that has never been said. However it does not produce enough to sustain a program capable of winning at a high level. The Hogs have to get so much talent from out of state that it makes it almost impossible to build AND sustain a winner here in football.

Totally agree.  Population alone is our biggest enemy...it's a numbers game.  What it comes down to is simple.  How well you recruit, according to the national rankings, has a direct correlation with your chances of being one of the top teams in the country.  People can argue that the stars are always slanted toward the power teams' recruits just because they recruit them, etc, etc., but the rankings couldn't be off season after season, or we would see some outliers sneaking in more often.  Couple that with the FACT that the majority of players still go to college within 250 miles of their home, and it stacks the deck against us even more.   

That having been said...I do think we miss on some deserving Arkansas kids every year.  Some go elsewhere because they aren't sought after hard enough, and some are ignored for one reason or another.  Meanwhile, I don't see anything dramatic with regard to differences between Hammonds and Whaley, as one example, and yet one was heralded as being from THE HS football state, and one wasn't.  I think historically...Arkansas' kids tend to rank about a star less, simply because people aren't convinced they play against stout enough competition.  Maybe that's fair...maybe it's not.  But...we're seeing UCA and ASU being pretty successful, and while I haven't checked their rosters, I'm guessing they probably have quite a few Arkansas kids on their teams, and a few of them could probably be doing well in UA uniforms.

I'll go so far as to suggest that maybe we should consider taking some Arkansas kids who are 2 and 3 star above some out of state recruits that are a star higher and just see how it pans out.  I mean...could it yield results that are much worse???   

hogblitz

I agree with many of your posts.  However, I do not agree with ANYTHING in this post.  Quite frankly, I hope you are kidding because it's laughable.   I have lived in the Memphis Area for about 33 years.  The high school football is garbage over here. The state of Arkansas has better high school talent than here.  Memphis football has been GARBAGE for years and years.  The fan support is terrible.  Do you remember the days of Tommy West putting 600 to 800 people in the stands?  That is no joke.  One game they had that.  The facilities are that of a high school.  The stadium needs major upgrades.  And you say because of Memphis's record the last 3 or 4 years it's a better job.  Hahahaha.  Norvell would choose Arkansas over both Florida and Tennessee in a heart beat!  If we are smart enough to offer him, he will be on the hill on 2018!  If you can win at Memphis with the lack of recruiting grounds and resources, you are a great coach.  You can win anywhere!